Author Topic: A List of OtoMAD Tags on Nico  (Read 5243 times)

tohosubs

• Admin: persceaux
A List of OtoMAD Tags on Nico
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »
I have moved this to the /r/touhou wiki for ease of organization.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:57:23 AM by tohosubs »
English subtitles for Touhou derivative works from Nico, translated and reprinted on YouTube with the creators' permission. The admin is a native JP/EN speaker.
/r/touhou wiki's Nico Portal

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
Re: A list of sound MAD (音MAD) tags on Nico
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »
While I do appreciate your passion on this topic, even for the Japanese audience, I would consider the popularity of the genre to be a thing of the past. Back in 2007-2008, the ones that stand out due to their better-than-average quality would receive around 50k views, but today that level would only net around 5k views. Only the ones which have a ton of work put into them OR ones which ride the current trend (Notably that Kinmosa Karen one and that Shimakaze one) would be the ones which skyrocket in views. If there's anything more to hype from these otomad videos, it would be when something gets really trending. There's the whole Inmu craze which has been going on for quite a long time (probably the longest alive hype to date) and random one-shot gags like z-kai.
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

tohosubs

• Admin: persceaux
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
Hi Prody. I'm always excited to see an English-speaking Nico user!

You're right that view count is way down. Technology has evolved, and both creators and viewers have many other options now. But aside from things like Inmu that have their own culture, haven't the source clips in most popular 音MADs always been the current trend, even in Nico's early days? Most popular trends since have their own several 音MAD masterpieces, so I don't think much has changed in that sense. There will always be new source clips, and I see enough new 音MADs that I'm not too worried about their viability as a genre going forward.

In any case, the guide is for people who don't know much about Nico. Given the popularity of YTP and the few non-Japanese 音MADers (as recent as OctagonCollaboration), there's definitely a non-trivial number of people who would enjoy 音MADs but don't even know what's out there. I'm sure you can see the value of an organized list of tag translations to them, even if nothing new were to ever come out again. In fact, I'm pretty surprised that this doesn't seem to have been done before. It's nothing hard.

I'm curious. Do you know of any non-Japanese online community of 音MAD fans? Is some variation of "Oto MAD" the standard translation? Is it even discussed anywhere with enough frequency to be called a standard?
English subtitles for Touhou derivative works from Nico, translated and reprinted on YouTube with the creators' permission. The admin is a native JP/EN speaker.
/r/touhou wiki's Nico Portal

Prody

• (*'v'*) Creation
  • 『てめえら全員、ぶっ飛ばす!!』
    • Prody's other youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
I'm curious. Do you know of any non-Japanese online community of 音MAD fans? Is some variation of "Oto MAD" the standard translation? Is it even discussed anywhere with enough frequency to be called a standard?
I consider the western equalvalent of otomads to be YTPMV. Mowtendoo is probably the leading figure in this area with all the way-above-average view counts on his videos even today. I'm not sure on what to consider a community, but I do know people who share an interest with these otomads as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 03:58:15 PM by Prody »
Prody's anime list! - Prody's favourite MADs on NicoDouga! - Me when steam trading
I wonder if anyone knows the true meaning of the last song in Nanairo?
the economy the economy the economy the economy

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
You can often find lots of English information on this type of thing on Know Your Meme, which works as an encyclopedia for English an Japanese internet phonemia.

In fact, you can find lots of MAD-related things on a tag search for NicoNicoDouga:
http://knowyourmeme.com/search?q=tags%3A%28%22nico+nico+douga%22%29
(including a page on MADs themselves, but it's just a list of videos and a short text article, blegh)

As above, the English equivalent is YTPMV, but they more often stick to their own pool of sound clips for videos, like Mario, CDi, Terry Crews, TF2, Ponies, and Octagon.
Although you'll see lots of Japanese stuff shipped over too into YTPMV. I know plenty of YTPMVs where I can just count the references to English and Japanese memes alike, it's pretty fun.

Lots of MADs make their way to youtube as well, where they're as fairly popular with western folks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:42:16 PM by Prims-like »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia