Author Topic: 144 fps on Touhou  (Read 9550 times)

144 fps on Touhou
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:35:55 PM »
Since I've got a 144hz monitor and decided to play Touhou games on fullscreen, I've noticed that EoSD went from 60fps to 144fps without the game itself got too fast to play, it was so incredibly smooth that it made Lunatic look easy. Now this just happened to EoSD in fullscreen, tried to do the same thing to DDC and it got stuck at 60fps.  Any solution?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
Re: 144 fps on Touhou
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:54:26 AM »
Well the Touhou games are only supposed to run at 60 fps, anything different will affect the speed the game runs at because they're fps dependent, like 144 fps means the game will be running more than twice as fast, and 15 fps means the game will be incredibly slow, and you don't want that. I suggest using the vsync patches to keep the games at a constant 60 fps.

Simply place vpatch.exe and vpatch.ini in each game's directory and then the corresponding vpatch dll for that specific game. Make sure your game's exe name is something like thXX, replacing XX with the game's number (i.e. Touhou 7 would be th07.exe) You can rename the english patched ones, they will work. The only exception to this is EoSD, it needs a different name. It's name is 東方紅魔郷.exe. Alternatively, if you don't have Japanese support running on your system and you can't see those characters, then you want it to be named ?????g????.exe (include that beginning quote, it is part of the name).
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Drake

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:05:48 AM »
I don't think you understood what he was asking about.

OP, I don't think any of the games but EoSD has this behaviour. I'm just guessing based off the fact that EoSD is the only game where people get hyperspeed framerate bugs from uncapped framerates.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:24:11 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
I thought vsynch patch would have an option to edit the framepersecond rates as I pleased, what I really meant was to be able to play Touhou games as the actual refresh rate of my monitor, which is 144 hertz. And not 144fps faster, which would be unplayable.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:59:56 PM »
I'm not aware of anything that can do that, unfortunately. (and yeah, I misread the first post, whoops)

I had a 75Hz monitor (it's pretty much broken now from age) but EoSD never rose to 75fps, it always stayed at 60, even without vsync. Not sure what ZUN did there if yours goes higher.

Vsync pretty much controls the fps, it can't increase it while making the game play at the same speed as 60 fps. I never knew Touhou was even capable of doing that. Leave it to EoSD to do it, the most finicky of all the games. (PCB can be weird too, but it's more rare) Out of curiosity, does EoSD do that every time you load it up, or only sometimes/rarely?
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »
I'm not aware of anything that can do that, unfortunately. (and yeah, I misread the first post, whoops)

I had a 75Hz monitor (it's pretty much broken now from age) but EoSD never rose to 75fps, it always stayed at 60, even without vsync. Not sure what ZUN did there if yours goes higher.

Vsync pretty much controls the fps, it can't increase it while making the game play at the same speed as 60 fps. I never knew Touhou was even capable of doing that. Leave it to EoSD to do it, the most finicky of all the games. (PCB can be weird too, but it's more rare) Out of curiosity, does EoSD do that every time you load it up, or only sometimes/rarely?

It never happened in window mode, only fullscreen.