Author Topic: Getting Into Gensokyo  (Read 1793 times)

Getting Into Gensokyo
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:26:47 AM »
So, I decided to start doing...way too much research on Gensokyo the other day, and chose to find a place where an entry point might be.

I started by reading about Gensokyo itself, and the point that caught my attention was that Gensokyo was a haunted region of Japan, until it was sealed off. So, naturally, my next thought was to look up haunted places in Japan. I came up with three.

-Amiidaji, the Temple of Amida
-Aokigahara, a large forest at the base of Mt. Fuji
-Okiku's Well (in Himeji Castle)

I stuck with Aokigahara, after reading about it some more.
The place is thought to be haunted by 'yurei', which immediately made me think of youkai.
Another thing about Aokigahara?
It's a popular place for suicide. Oh, look, Yuyuko Saigyouji (supposedly) committed suicide.(http://i.imgur.com/oBopvP7.jpg)) Where, you ask?
Under a tree. The Saigyou Ayakashi, to be specific.

So, I determined that the Forest of Magic and Aokigahara must be connected... somehow. Meaning, if you found the connection and somehow made it to the other side, you'd come out near the bottom of Youkai Mountain, somewhere in the Forest of Magic.

Drake

Re: Getting Into Gensokyo
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:20:42 AM »
Actually, we know at least on a general level where Gensokyo is. It's part of the Yatsugatake Mountain range; Youkai Mountain is the legendary version of the single mountain Yatsugatake, which was said to be partially destroyed by the goddess Sakuyahime, and is why it's now several smaller mountains.

Mount Fuji, on the other hand, is a fair way's away.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
So now we need to find a destroyed shrine there or something similiar and leave some donations?

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »
So now we need to find a destroyed shrine there or something similiar and leave some donations?

Yeah, something to that effect. But I think Drake's reply makes more sense than my original post, so we should probably rely on him.