Author Topic: Gamepad discussion  (Read 4524 times)

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
Gamepad discussion
« on: August 13, 2009, 10:30:21 PM »
So I used to play shmups with a PS2 gamepad connected to a parallel port adapter, but then I got this laptop.  As it turns out laptops don't come with parallel ports!  I got a PCI card with a parallel port but all the software for using PSX pads via parallel port was made 5 years ago, and I guess PCI ports use different addresses, so it's all nonfunctional for me.  I've given up on that route, so I'm looking to get a plain ol' USB or whatever gamepad so I can play UFO and SWR redux when they come out.

I would just learn keyboard or something but this laptop keyboard can't handle multidirectional input and keys at the same time and I kind of like moving in diagonals.  So, who wants to suggest a good, lagless (or as close as you can get) gamepad I can pick up?  Price isn't a huge issue; I'd rather get something that I can just stick with for the rest of my Touhou Gaming Career than buy several junky pads.

edit: oh, if this was supposed to go into tech support, my bad.  feel free to move it wherever!

Re: Gamepad discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:25:12 AM »
What kind of laptop can't handle having more than 2 buttons pressed down at a time?

I got this one logitech controller that's like a PS controller, but the d-pad is pretty bad so I don't recommend it.

Try a PS3 controller, it has 3rd party 32-bit drivers. There's 64-bit drivers, but I could never get those to work.

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:48:28 AM »
Two directions plus Z and shift!  Apparently that's enough.

AM

• You just ate!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »
Laptop keyboards suck for gaming, well laptops generally suck for gaming. And nobody uses serial ports anymore, you can't find those even in new desktops.

Get decent USB-keyboard, USB-gamepad (logitechs are actually quite good if you don't get one of the cheap ones) or USB-adapter for that PS2 controller, which is probably the cheapest alternative.

Vibri

• but the night is long
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:10:56 AM »
I have a ps2->usb converter, but it lags and is awful.  I could try overclocking my usb ports or finding a less laggy converter (apparently some radioshack one is good) but my past experience hasn't been good. 

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:44:09 PM »
You should get a stick. I used to be a former pad warrior myself, but after getting a stick I find I just can't go back. Everything's so much easier now that all your fingers are on all the buttons, and that movement only requires a quick flick of the wrist instead of dragging your thumb across the D-pad. :D

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »
Two directions plus Z and shift!  Apparently that's enough.
Yeah, most laptop keyboards are notorious for poor rollover.  Get a decent USB controller/keyboard/etc. = problems solved.  Also if you're getting a new keyboard, check how high it's rollover is (i.e. if it'll register at least 5 simultaneous keypresses or so).

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 02:48:23 AM »
Get decent USB-keyboard, USB-gamepad (logitechs are actually quite good if you don't get one of the cheap ones) or USB-adapter for that PS2 controller, which is probably the cheapest alternative.

Amen on avoiding the cheap Logitech pads.  I made the mistake of buying a cheapo Logitech gamepad for the express purpose of playing SWR at all and PoFV without aggravating my RSI.  It lasted maybe three weeks before the directional pad started sticking all the freaking time. 

Turns out that it comes loose rather easily, and once it does, any sort of rolling motion will cause the pad to catch.  This is acceptable (barely) for the fighters, where I never seem to sit still anyway, but is absolute crap for PoFV (or any of the other danmaku games...), when I often want precise, delicate movements, or will sit stone still when needed.
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.