Author Topic: Touhou RPG fangame overview+recommendation thingie  (Read 4556 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Touhou RPG fangame overview+recommendation thingie
« on: May 29, 2014, 06:47:22 AM »
So I'm in the mood for Touhou fanmade rpgs, but fact is I kinda been out of the touhou loop for a couple years so I may have missed a couple. While I could always just check the wiki, it's very difficult to determine which are recommended by folks here, which look hopeful, and all that stuff. I'll list some of the ones I know and/or have played and will try to give my opinions on each, looking for suggestions, and if you aren't familiar with some of my list, feel free to use it for your own purposes in case you agree with any other games!

Touhoumon rpg: I actually haven't played this one yet because I wanted to on my actual DS over an emulator. But haven't figured out how to emulate a GBA on a DS quite yet, mind you I haven't tried figuring THAT out for some time now. That said, I have intended to try it.

Labyrinth of Touhou: One of my favorite games of all time, I adore it. So far 2 is great too, and improves on alot of 1's aspects...but somehow... 1 is just better to me still.

Genius of Sappheiros: Almost as good as above, very fun and challenging, and totally makes you feel like you're playing a great snes rpg back in their golden age. I haven't finished the expansion yet though...I don't know, something about it seems tedious so far. I forget if it was too many instant-death attacks from trash or whatever, but I think that was it.

Defiant of Shrine maiden: I have not played this game because its translation seems to have been abandoned, and it looks extremely technical in terms of combat mechanics...Which I like, but not when I don't know what anything says/does.

Blizzard of faith and... revenge?...uhh...something like that: Haven't tried, wanted to, just haven't gotten around to it. I like how it supposedly has like the full cast (back during its time of development), but the videos for it make it look unspectacular... like I mean it looks good and all, but it doesn't seem to be another commercial game I know and love on crack like GoS and LoT are.

Devil of Decline: Obviously a must try since it's a sequalish to GoS, but don't want to start when translation efforts are still...uhh... not dead. Not sure if they are actually moving along but it's not officially done for either.

Fushigi no gensokyou...the series: I REALLY wanted to try this one but translation efforts are dead I'm pretty sure. However I tried playing it untranslated and the fact is it too is just too technical to play well when you can't understand anything. People say it's playable without reading it but I strongly disagree. yeah you can make it up several floors or whatever but there's just no joy in the whole looting/crafting system when you don't have a flying @%#@% what the items are!

Any other big-name touhou rpg's I should research based on my current tastes?

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
Re: Touhou RPG fangame overview+recommendation thingie
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:09:04 AM »
Blizzard of faith and... revenge?

Blizzard of faith and revenge is better than it looks, give it a try.

Also worth mentioning are  "Sengoku Gensoyko" (if that counts as an RPG. It has leveling and teambuilding :V) though that one is a bit difficult to get to work

and both Touhou Mother and Touhou Mother return. (games which I can never play again due to major sadness caused by them.)

For the Tuohou Puppet Play games you sometimes really want an emulator that is capable of proper speedup since some are really heavy on the grinding.
I can recommend another world/parallel worlds (these are even compatible with trading and all) and the 1.8 versions (there's emerald and "1.81 enhanced, a firered variant)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:48:21 AM »
Thanks. Yeah blizzard didn't look bad. looked perfectly fine. I just don't think it'll blow my socks off like LoT and GoS is all.
And Sengoku Gensokyou... I have tried it (worked fine for me), but I feel like it's more of a VN with rpg elements style game than an actual rpg. That and its gameplay is notably less interesting than rance (which I also cannot stomach playing more of not cuz the game is bad.. it's amazing..but dear god I just can't stand playing as such a sleezebag. Even though videogames are fiction.. I... I... I can't do it! *runs away crying*.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:28:38 AM »
Maybe Tendo Blade? It's a SaGa like RPG. The plot : Iku get kidnapped by... something and Tenshi search all over Gensoukyo to find her.
The same circle made another rpg where basically, Shiki Eiki tell Akyuu that she need to find four important scroll and then she go. Yeah, that's the plot. X D
The same circle also made turn based strategy games, one of them being the Quadruple Sword of Fantasy. Tenshi is up to no good and it's to one hero out of four to find and stop her.
There's another one with Utsuo but I don't know the name.
All of them have Let's Play made by Ryason that cover them.

Gensou Shoujo Taisen in case you like super robot wars like game? : )
There are Let's Play of those game on youtube. ^^

Wasn't there also Fire Chenblem? There is also at least one let's play of it on youtube I think.

Wasn't there Touhou Quest too?

You can wish for anything!

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »
Ohh, never heard of tendo blade, and i love turn based strategies! Thanks!

The Krve

• Power Word : Silence
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 08:13:53 AM »
Since this thread is still here, I'm just gonna ask something.

I have already set my locale to Chinese PRC Simple, but for some reason the game still doesn't have any text.
I do have ntlea installed, but I launch the game directly. Anyone know how to get around this ?

Trickster-kun

• Well, well, well...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
I would suggest 'Touhou Pocket Wars EVO Plus' if you haven't tried it out! It's kind of static, but the premise is pretty fun if you can get into it. The first game has translation, but I don't know if the second one does...

I also have to jump in the wagon and suggest Gensou Shoujo Taisen (or uh, Fairy Maiden Wars) it's an amazingly well done game and hopefully we'll soon have a translation for the second game. We can only hope, though.  :ohdear:

Have fun! o/
~Yesterday was all I had. Today is all I have. Tomorrow is all I want.~

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:58:19 PM »
I also have to jump in the wagon and suggest Gensou Shoujo Taisen (or uh, Fairy Maiden Wars) it's an amazingly well done game and hopefully we'll soon have a translation for the second game. We can only hope, though.  :ohdear:

Can't believe I forgot to mention this one.
About a translation for the second game (You/Mystic): Looky here. It is just the gameplay and not directly implemented as a patch (and most likely never will) but you take what you can get and it makes it playable.

Since this thread is still here, I'm just gonna ask something.

I have already set my locale to Chinese PRC Simple, but for some reason the game still doesn't have any text.
I do have ntlea installed, but I launch the game directly. Anyone know how to get around this ?

It would probably help if you gave the name of the game. :V

Trickster-kun

• Well, well, well...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 02:37:17 PM »
Can't believe I forgot to mention this one.
About a translation for the second game (You/Mystic): Looky here. It is just the gameplay and not directly implemented as a patch (and most likely never will) but you take what you can get and it makes it playable.

You have provided me a great assistance. Thank you!

On topic: I forgot to mention, not exactly an RPG, but if you enjoy 'Age of Empires', you should check out 'Touhou Boushuen: Age of Ethanols'. I believe it's already been translated, but even raw, the game is playable, since it follows roughly the same mechanics. I found it a lot of fun, albeit somewhat challenging, but I'm not naturally good at those games anyway... :V
~Yesterday was all I had. Today is all I have. Tomorrow is all I want.~

The Krve

• Power Word : Silence
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »
Blizzard of Faith & Revenge ( duh  :V).

I only want to play it because I heard it has hilarious dialogs, and  having invisible text defeats that purpose.

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
Touhoumon: I'm playing this game right now... It's great!

Labyrinth of Touhou 1 and 2: Both were great since 2 was the first Touhou RPG I played it was great, looking forward Plus Disk

GoS: I must play this game sooner or later...

DoD: That art, those sprites, those monsters, MIMA!!

NoR: Unfortunately, I can't play this game patch 1.01 never loads and if I play 1.00 I get error 210 at some random point

Touhou Diablo Treasure Hunter G: Good... and a bit challenging

Gensokyo Treasure Hunting: Kogasa and Nue team forever!! (Maybe Chen and Ran too).
Mwahahahahha!

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »
I mentionned Tendo Blade a bit earlier. Here is the website of the circle who made the game in case you're curious.
They also have some demo of their games... which bring me to this point :
they seem to be working on a new game and they have a demo for it.
Look for the following text on their website :
さけのさかなのうた
    14/05/16体験版(128MB)
The story : well apparently, it seems that Mystia Stand was crashed. X D
That's how it begins. X D

You can wish for anything!