Author Topic: How popular is Touhou in Japan?  (Read 14542 times)

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
How popular is Touhou in Japan?
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »
The other day I read here that touhou has parodies on nearly everything and hardly any make a parody on touhou. Which I think is strange cause I was just watching this anime and a girl was playing touhou in it (with perfect UI match and stuff) which I think was kinda funny. It does seem that touhou is pretty well known for it to be featured in a show (How many times have you seen a reference in a show to some real popular big selling titels?).

If you wanna see it here is the link: http://www.animeseason.com/ef-a-tale-of-memories-episode-1/ at about 7:50 into the video. She kinda fails hard on an easy spellcard tough!

bye!  ;D

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: How popular is Touhou in Japan?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »
Because Touhou isn't mainstream, it will never be as popular as it could be. Still, it's about as famous as you can be without being really popular.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »
Has to be called one of the Internets best kept secrets that hides in plain view.

flurk

• I'M IN YOUR SHMUP
  • GRAZING YOUR BULLETS.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »
she uses the mouse to play touhou?

"Eh, who needs brains in danmaku? Power, that's all you need!" -Kirisame Marisa

misosoupwitheggplant

• stalking stalker a stalker.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:54 AM »
she uses the mouse to play touhou?

She uses the mouth mouse to move, obviously!

That is strange.
Current cosplays

Suwako- Some con
Cirno- A&G Ohio

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 01:16:42 AM »
Heh, I like how her current score is several hundred thousand, while the high score is over 5 billion.

Also replacing the IN logo with the ef logo was a cute touch.

I don't think ef itself was exactly mainstream; it was based on a dating sim.  But given the size of Touhou fandom in Japan in recent years, the chance that some of its viewership would recognize a Touhou reference may be pretty high.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 03:11:15 AM »
Asking a Japanese guy what Touhou is is about the same as asking an American guy what WoW is.

More or less.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 03:48:33 AM »
I would go as far as to say it's the most popular indie game ever, but I really don't know.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 03:51:57 AM »
I recall an anon saying Japan is Touhou. I never doubted it.

3 different cons just for Touhou alone, and you wonder how popular it is.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 04:10:15 AM »
but when u look at the many diff. cons they haf for other stuff... but still, three cons just for touhou and u get the pic.

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 05:51:35 AM »
There's more than three cons for Touhou. I've been to two in the Tokyo area alone outside of Reitaisai and I'm sure they're in other regions of Japan out west and up north too.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:12 AM »
but when u look at the many diff. cons they haf for other stuff... but still, three cons just for touhou and u get the pic.

I thought you should know Natsuki and the Kigurumi bunch invades Reitaisai every single year since 2004, and every other con, according to him, there are Touhou sections in each and every one of them, and that ain't no joke.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Young Demon Lord

• Banned
  • Bye!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 06:17:45 AM »
http://www.animeseason.com/ef-a-tale-of-memories-episode-1/ at about 7:50 into the video. She kinda fails hard on an easy spellcard tough!

Is it me, or is she playing as Hong "China" Meiling?

EDIT: And who is she fighting?  Near as I can tell, I would call that Ichirin Kumoi.  Not sure if the character with the spell card matches anyone else more specifically.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:23:00 AM by Young Demon Lord »
An array of angled lasers and bubble waves.
The only problem is that your hitbox is so small....

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »
http://www.animeseason.com/ef-a-tale-of-memories-episode-1/ at about 7:50 into the video. She kinda fails hard on an easy spellcard tough!

Is it me, or is she playing as Hong "China" Meiling?

EDIT: And who is she fighting?  Near as I can tell, I would call that Ichirin Kumoi.  Not sure if the character with the spell card matches anyone else more specifically.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Without looking at the video, she's playing as Akira Kogami and fighting Konata Izumi, both from Lucky Star.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »
The background kinda looks like stage 4 from TH 8: IN

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »
Asking a Japanese guy what Touhou is is about the same as asking an American guy what WoW is.

Reading this statement actually scared me a little in terms of "WHOA"-ness.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Drake

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
That's pretty much it, though. Not on every scale, but on terms of this question, yes.

Young Demon Lord

• Banned
  • Bye!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 01:17:34 AM »

That's awesome.

*writes down Reason #32094785 to move to Japan*
An array of angled lasers and bubble waves.
The only problem is that your hitbox is so small....

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 02:32:44 AM »
3 different cons just for Touhou alone, and you wonder how popular it is.
According to wiki, 6 博麗神社例大祭 and 4 東方紅樓夢.

10 cons.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 05:45:49 AM »
True, but I'm referring to completely different conventions, not iterations of the same one.

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 05:50:58 AM »
I wouldn't say WoW, actually. The proportion of "normal" people to geeks in WoW is actually surprisingly high, whereas the Touhou fanbase in Japan, as far as I can make out from Nico Nico Douga, is pretty much 95% geeks.

Probably more accurate to say it's like D&D, in that a lot of people know what it is, a lot of people have grave misconceptions about what it is, and the number of fans is big but not THAT huge.

I'm pretty sure that if you tell the average Japanese person you're a Touhou fan, the odds are about:

50% - they won't know what you're talking about,
40% - they'll assume you are a deranged potential serial rapist and pedophile who has a 100-strong collection of hump pillows,
7% - they will actually have a more balanced view (and may be an otaku themselves),
3% - they're a Touhou fan too.

Of course the numbers are a bit different if you only consider guys.

I'd guess that at least half of Japanese otaku/geeks, and an infinitesimal proportion of nongeeks, are interested enough in Touhou to be considered at least borderline fans. That makes about 4 million people, roughly speaking (ballpark figure), going by NRI survey data (which places the otaku population at 1.7 million as of 2005) and extrapolating via educated guesswork for borderline otaku, liars, and growth since 2005. This sounds like a shitload of people, and explains the crowds at Reitaisai etc.

However, the population of Japan is 127 million. 4 out of 127 is not a lot.

Data from http://www.nri.co.jp/english/news/2005/051006.html (disclaimer: I have no idea whether these figures are pulled out of their collective asses).

edit: the 7% didn't linebreak properly. bleh.

Drake

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 06:17:20 AM »
The geeks vs normal people is actually what I was referring to when I meant "not on every scale".

In terms of popularity, what we got was pretty much the same.

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
The geeks vs normal people is actually what I was referring to when I meant "not on every scale".

In terms of popularity, what we got was pretty much the same.

Yeah, it did sound like that was what you meant, but my gut feeling was that not everybody caught that.

Just trying to put things in perspective.

_Aswin_

• Indian Otaku
  • ~ Laser is not difficult.
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
Definitely the most popular independent game series of all-time. I hear that Comiket has it's own Touhou section for fan doujinshi and manga. There are multiple fan games of Touhou itself made in Japan. ZUN's a pretty lucky guy.

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
I so want to go on a drinking party with ZUN. and get over to Japan for Comiket and Reitaisei

FIGHT!