Author Topic: Tenjou no Tempest - Suppression by Celestial, Lullaby for Gaia  (Read 14944 times)

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
Tenjou no Tempest - Suppression by Celestial, Lullaby for Gaia
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Long title of game is long. Some people also call it The Tempest of Heaven and Earth. Whatever you want to name it, it's a pretty recent 2d-action platformer by LION HEART who you may know for things like Mystical Chain, Touhou Rekkaden or Sanae Challenge.
Despite it being an absolutely deliciously-pompous game in my opinion, it doesn't seem to get as much attention on the web as I thought it would. That's the biggest reason for me to start this thread. I do know a good few of us maidens have ordered the game from Kourindo, so a discussion about it should be possible.

What I'm wondering most at the moment is: The game is currently on ver. 1.03. The most recent blog-post on LION HEART's website (Found here for reference) mentions something about Lunatic and Boss-rush, but I'm not sure it refers to an upcoming update for Tenjou no Tempest in this case. I think so, but thinking ain't knowing. Is there anyone proficient enough in Japanese around to confirm this for me? Pretty please?  :3.
I sure would love that Lunatic-mode...the game isn't particularly long and while not all-easy, not too hard as well.

Another thing is, I would like to find out a bit about the general story of the game. All that I can tell from what's happening in the game is that
Spoiler:
Tenshi is sent down to Gensokyo rather violently and loses her powers of flight and at the end of it all, there's an ominous keystone that the cast seems to quarrel over
. Anyone who can give me a rough summary of the whole adventure?

So yeah, I'd be thankful for any help regarding those two things.

Re: Tenjou no Tempest - Suppression by Celestial, Lullaby for Gaia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
They're giving a choice on what mode they might add.
The Boss Rush mode is definitely going to be made, but the Lunatic?(They basically said it's a harder, more prone to death) difficulty will probably take a while.
Either way, they're not going to be finished anytime soon as they said they won't participate in C85, but they'll be there for the next Reitaisai.

As for the story, well, I haven't finished it yet. Got stuck with Suwako because of a bug. It's fixed now, but haven't got the time to finish it so I don't know the whole story.
Spoiler:
Basically another earthquake happened again but it's not Tenshi's fault this time. Iku seems to know or have a part in it, but Yukari got in the way and dropped Tenshi from Heaven. After that Tenshi goes to search for Iku and the cause of the earthquakes. Some characters(Futo) blame Tenshi for the earthquake, some(Byakuren and Yuugi) does it for practice and for fun, and Suwako seems to know about it too while mocking Tenshi for trying to solve a disaster that she herself have caused before, telling her that she's "playing heroine". That's as far as I know for now.
Though since I haven't finished it, I might be wrong about it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:40:40 PM by monhan »

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:37 PM »
Thanks for the info. You say you might be wrong, but it sounds pretty sensible. There's nothing in that spoiler-tag where I would think of second-guessing you  ;).

The game auto-saves to some degree, so you could restart from level 5 again if that's where you left off.  You won't regret finishing it, the final boss-fight is pretty amazing.

Sahgren

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:41:16 AM »
I have a question: Does anyone know what to do for the second big chasm jump in chapter 5 if they accidentally kill off all of the purple kedama? I noticed that there's a tornado kedama at the very bottom to the far right, but I can't figure out how to get close enough to trigger it without expending my dodge/second jump.

I personally got through by saving one of the purple kedama for the jump, but it's been bugging me ever since.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »
to whoever plays this game:

when i first play the game, i encounter a last spell by reisen (the running part)
but when i play the game again, i encounter a last spell by reisen (finding the enemy)

the question is how many spell cards can be unlock and how to unlock them ?(or face?)

also how to save?

thanks and sory for my english

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
Each boss has an alternate last Spellcard, which is triggered if you fight "well" against them. Something like don't get hit too much or get knocked down, be sure to capture every spellcard before it.
Reisen's last spellcard is the running one and her alternate is the one where you have to find her.
Futo's is the one with many symbols and her alternate is
Spoiler:
riding her boat and does a big slash attack.
Nue's is the one with the screen goes black and you need to destroy the mirrors and her alternate is
Spoiler:
transforming into the legendary Nue
Yuugi's is fighting like usual and her alternate is
Spoiler:
Knockout in Three Step, watch out for the 3rd hit since it's instant death.

Haven't fought Suwako yet.

Sahgren

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
also how to save?

There isn't an option to create a save file mid stage. The game automatically records what skills you've bought and what bosses you've beaten, so you can freely jump around to the stages you've beaten and still have all of your unlocked skills.

Gesh86

• but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
I have a question: Does anyone know what to do for the second big chasm jump in chapter 5 if they accidentally kill off all of the purple kedama? I noticed that there's a tornado kedama at the very bottom to the far right, but I can't figure out how to get close enough to trigger it without expending my dodge/second jump.

I personally got through by saving one of the purple kedama for the jump, but it's been bugging me ever since.

That's easily the least pleasant spot in the game for me. I either forget I'm not allowed to kill the purples or I forget to kill the waterspouting Kedama before making the jump. You can imagine what happens in latter case.
I always thought that puzzle was not working as intended, that the purple Kedama were supposed to respawn but didn't due to a glitch. Sorry that I can't really help, but now that I know about that tornado-Kedama, I can look further into it.

Yuugi's is fighting like usual and her alternate is
Spoiler:
Knockout in Three Step, watch out for the 3rd hit since it's instant death.

Spoiler:
That sounds really scary. Never encountered that one in my matches against her and I'm dreading the day I do.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
i mean how do you know if you play well?

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
i mean how do you know if you play well?
By not getting damaged much and capturing all the preceding Spellcards?

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:17:20 AM »
While this may be an old topic, it's the only topic for this game as far as I can tell.

There's a 1.10 patch out now, which adds a boss rush (and an upgraded boss rush), a couple of practice modes, and achievements that unlock artwork. Pretty nice stuff!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:41:35 AM by Sathatri Komeiguy »

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
Good stuff!
Now if only we can select the boss. But Lunatic difficulty is good enough.
For Combo Rush, I can only do 20k. What are you supposed to do to reach 30k?

I'm hoping for more games like this from them. I'll be more than happy if there's one starring Yukari, Byakuren or Okuu.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »
This lunatic mode is insane.
Haven't played it extensively yet, but damn, Reisen wants you dead, counter attacks EVERY time.  During the first spell, she mixes her first pattern with those giant crown bullets, legit hard to capture.  Panic Room is still a big waste of time, aim for the better spell if possible.

Got as far as Nue's bow card.  Nue will shoot at you at the constantly and moving very erratically, I'm very sure it will still static though.
Also, the bow still alternates fire, but now shoots twice and much faster as well.

Now someone needs to get to Yugi so I can lol @ her Knockout in Three steps.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
Yeah, lunatic mode is tons of fun though! Reisen and Futo are jokes now and I usually beat both of them (usually with their alternative spellcards) under 5 minutes. Within my 53 attempts at Lunatic, I've managed to get to Yuugi ONCE.

I can pretty consistently get to Nue phase 4 but my success rate at getting to her last spellcard is maybe 20%.. I've found it best to use the special that gives Tenshi bonus damage, defense, and super armor. That allows you to get hit by Nue's bullets many times compared to normal, and a direct hit by her bow(?) won't bring you down to minimal health. If you use it right at the start, it should give you enough time to get a hit of on Nue once and maybe a second time if you're lucky. I find it best to just follow her bullet stream while avoiding the bow and her "regular" three bullets. If you happen to get the hit off on her, you absolutely must break her amulet within the time frame. It's easy enough once you trigger the weather effect, doing a slash rotation, a charged headbutt, and another slash.

For her last phase, the only time I managed to beat her was during my first try. Most important thing is to eliminate the UFOs and snakes that spawn first before going for Nue, as they do insane damage to you. A slash and a arial rock smash is enough to kill the UFOs. Just keep surviving til you get her to about 1/3 health and then blast away with Scarlet rhapsody (of something something), Tenshi's last special.

Edit: on my 55th try, I actually got Nue to use her alternative spellcard and well... needless to say, I died nearly instantly afterwards. She has the attack similar to the one that she uses on phase 3, where she rains down the purple orbs twice.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:00:17 AM by thegunner100 »

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »
Seriously, Nue's the hardest boss in the game, followed by Iku because of that thunder stars.

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
On my 83rd attempt, after nearly 2 hours...

Yeah, I finally beat Yuugi and then Suwako on my first try. I've also managed to beat Nue's alt spellcard three times now, and I find it easier than her normal one. Nowadays I can get to Nue's phase 4 in about 5 minutes!

Some tips and strategies (Lunatic):

For learning a new part of the fight, using the spellcard (Temperament: State of Enlightenment) that grants extra damage, defense, and super armor is the way to go. It'll allow you to make mistakes if you need to, and is overall more useful than the measly damage that the other spellcards can output. Using 5 bars of scarlet power isn't bad, and leaves you with 4. Eventually you'll get back up to 5 and be able to use it again if needed.

I like to use the headbutt and Ballista whenever possible. The charged headbutt does a lot of damage to both health and amulet, and is easy to execute after 2x slash. The ballista has excellent range, does decent damage to both health and amulet.

Nue has the hardest difficulty curve so far, IMO. I like to use Ballista and Non-Conc. Detonation to clear out the snakes. The detonation doesn't cost much power, is a small aoe, and kills the snakes in one hit. If you time it correctly, aim the ballista and shoot right when Nue releases the snakes. It should kill 2-3 of them right there. Finish the rest with detonation, OR let Nue attempt to melee you. If she does melee you, dodge upwards, do a downward slash to activate the weather, then charged headbutt, down slash again, headbutt, and that should break her amulet.

Phase 2, dodge her bullets to the left or right once, then wait about a second or two, and dodge to the side again. Once she comes out, slash, charged arial side attack, slash, and then headbutt. That'll break her amulet and pretty much end the phase.

Phase 3, almost the same as phase 1. If you let her use her rain attacks, make sure you clear out the snakes, go to either sides of the stage, dodge up, land on the floor, and dodge up again.

Phase 4, now this is probably the hardest phase to learn. Use super armor right as you see Nue coming down. That'll prevent you from getting killed in two hits and allows for much more leniency. It's hard to describe what to do, but the best thing I can tell you is just to chase after Nue and make sure to dodge to the sides in the air, to get her bow to quickly move to the side. Sometimes when I am lucky, I hit Nue with her first bow attack and then the second hit comes shortly after.

Phase 5 normal, Bonten Grenade to help with the UFOs, and Detonation for the snakes. Either use super armor to learn this fight, or Scarlet Weather Rhapsody of All Humankind to finish Nue off when she has about 1/3 health left. Always clear out the UFOs and snakes before going for Nue. One slash will kill the UFOs, but it's best to dodge and then attack then as they REALLY hurt. The longer you take, the faster they start spawning.

Phase 5 alt, stay near the left or right edge, and bait Nue into using her Snake/laser attacks then run or dodge to the edge of the screen and start slashing away. Rinse and repeat. Getting hit by her melee results in her using the rain attack. If you trigger her rain attack, the middle is probably the safest place to dodge upwards but be aware that she will sometimes jump onto you in the middle. It only really takes a few attempts to learn her moves. No spellcards necessary, but super armor is always useful and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody can finish her off.

Edit: seems like she only does her rain attack if she gets a melee attack off on you during her alt 5.

Yuugi is much easier than learning Nue, but it's a long fight and patience is required. NEVER attack Yuugi head-on, always dodge and counter-attack. She actually attempts to dodge your ranged attacks during phases 1 and 4, but during phase 2 and 5 I highly recommend using Ballista.

Phase 1, let her come towards you, dodge, 2x slash, headbutt, run away, repeat.

Phase 2, Dodge into her fire, double slash, headbutt, dodge downwards, repeat. Ballista when you get the chance. Don't get greedy with the slashes or else you'll get hit by the fire.

Phase 3, Dodge into her when she shoots out the fire. 2x slash, headbutt, charged down attack (with the earth thing at the end). When she hits the fire to shoot out smaller orbs, the best place to be is away from the center point. Once the orbs are out, she will come towards you and try to attack you. Just dodge, and use that chance to damage her as much as you can with 2x slash and headbutts before she repeats.

Phase 4, Same as phase 1 but with the addition of being careful of the rocks.

Phase 5 normal, Same as phase 1 and 4, but without the use of headbutts. It takes a lot of patience, as Yuugi has a lot of health and 2x slash doesn't do that much damage to her. However... she will NOT dodge the ballista, so use that whenever possible. If she punts you into the arial bullets, dodge downwards.

Phase 5 alt, I managed to get her here once and took her down to 33%. I used super armor at the start and just dodged her attacks. Sorry I don't remember too much. I think I may have been able to bet her if I used super armor again instead of wasting my scarlet power on a Peerless Blade, which barely did any damage to her.

Let's see... As for Suwako phase 1, this time the tail of her rock snake shoots out bullets and her other attacks shoot out more bullets. She can also curse you (slower orb regen). Be VERY patient and only attempt when given the chance.

Phase 2... Dodge her rings and curses, attack when given the chance, and use ballista.

Phase 3... is her big golem I think. First she starts off by shooting out a curse ring. Just dodge that and go straight for attacking Suwako in the center. I think in normal mode, she sometimes shoots out one lightning orb. In lunatic, she shoots out three or four. Just dodge and go back to hitting Suwako. Rinse and repeat. Her attacks don't do too much damage.

Phase 4 is actually really easy. Just avoid Suwako, use Ballista, and she'll end up giving you lots of free scarlet power to keep on Ballistaing her. Your only real chance at slashing her is when she uses her cone attack. Overall, I feel like Suwako is easier than Yuugi.

When I got to Iku, I basically got killed by her before I could even get an attack off. Her lightning attacks now cover a larger part from the ground up.

I hope some of this information helps you guys. Now that I can beat Nue more consistently, I'll be working on trying to beat Yuugi consistently. Perhaps I'll get that down by my 100th attempt... Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:25:42 AM by thegunner100 »

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
So far I've managed to get to Iku three times now (my last being the 95th attempt). I've been able to beat Suwako with no major problems each time that I've gotten to her. Yuugi phase 3 and 5 still gives me some trouble sometimes.

I think I've somewhat figured out how to dodge Iku's attacks in phase 1. It seems like the best place to stand is on the side of the screen where she starts her drill attack. She does it twice, so I suppose I'll have to go back to the other side after the first drill. Then afterwards she does the drill attack which comes up from the ground. I believe that one is needed to trigger the weather effect, otherwise super armor will just run out and I eventually die.

Edit: The first and third drills can be dodged by going to the side that she starts drilling from. I'm not sure about the second. Will do more testing. Yuugi feels a bit easier than before now.

It's a work in progress I suppose. I wish there were other people who I could discuss strategy with :(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:01:59 PM by thegunner100 »

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »
Out of curiosity, have you ever triggered Suwako's alternate card?

(On that note, it looks like the conditions for alternate cards are actually pretty simple - as far as I can tell, you need to never have Tenshi knocked down during the prior two spellcard phases (first five bosses). That'll trigger the card, regardless of what hits you in the nonspell phases.)

Also, the second drill... I think that one's dodgeable with a dash. If its the aerial one, it's simple to just wait until she drills over you, then dash through the lightning orbs.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
We're talking lunatic for Suwako's alt and Iku's drill right?

I haven't triggered Suwako's alt yet, but I think I can do well enough to eventually trigger it. I think during my last attempt, I almost managed to trigger it. The second drill is harder to dodge because the electric orbs from her first drill lingers and spreads outwards rather than just up and down in normal. I'll have to check when I make it to Iku again.

As for triggering alt spellcards, this is what I've specifically found:
Reisen - Don't get hit by her ring during phase 2 and don't get hit by her laser during phase 4.
Futo - Don't get hit physically by her boat on phase 2 and don't get hit by the fire that comes from the ground on phase 4.
Nue - Don't get hit by her bullets or laser during phase 2 and don't get hit by her bow on phase 4.
Yuugi - Don't get hit by her rings in phase 2 (?) and most likely don't get hit by her melee attack during phase 4.
Suwako - Not sure since I haven't triggered it yet.

So based on what you've said, phase 2 and 4 are the "spellcard" phases right? Using super armor will give you a better chance of triggering their alternate spellcards, considering that it prevents Tenshi from flinching or getting knocked down by most attacks. Oh, and of course you need to clear the phase before the bonus timer runs out to trigger the alts.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:12:57 PM by thegunner100 »

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 11:49:19 PM »
Okay I think I'm starting to get the hang of Iku phase 1. I probably wasted more dodges than I needed to on her drills. Managed to get a few screenshots this time though! The drill that she does in the air leaves gaps on the ground... Maybe I can stay on the ground and just dash through the gaps to the other side?

Edit: just realized that's what you meant. Have you beaten Iku on Lunatic yet?  :V

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:56:19 PM by thegunner100 »

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
So based on what you've said, phase 2 and 4 are the "spellcard" phases right? Using super armor will give you a better chance of triggering their alternate spellcards, considering that it prevents Tenshi from flinching or getting knocked down by most attacks. Oh, and of course you need to clear the phase before the bonus timer runs out to trigger the alts.
Yeah, for the first three bosses. For Yuugi it's phases 2 and 3, and for Suwako it's phases 1 and 3. Basically, the two phases prior to the final one that feature the cutin picture of the boss character.

Also oh crap, you're talking Lunatic Iku? I missed that part. Unfortunately I can't help you there, I haven't even gotten past Lunatic Nue. Sorry about the lack of help, then.  :V

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
Yeah, for the first three bosses. For Yuugi it's phases 2 and 3, and for Suwako it's phases 1 and 3. Basically, the two phases prior to the final one that feature the cutin picture of the boss character.

Also oh crap, you're talking Lunatic Iku? I missed that part. Unfortunately I can't help you there, I haven't even gotten past Lunatic Nue. Sorry about the lack of help, then.  :V

Ehehe, np! I hope I was some help to you though. Which phase are you stuck on?

My last attempt resulted in me triggering Yuugi's alt. I managed to get her down to half health using super armor during her first Knockout but I couldn't dodge the second one. If I didn't waste so much power during Nue's regular phase 5 (I HATE the normal one now), I might have been able to use a second super armor and beaten her.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:17:16 AM by thegunner100 »

Thata no Guykoro

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 12:27:13 AM »
Mostly it seems to be her nonspells that trip me up when I do get to her - one way or another the bullet waves or the flying black seekers end up doing too much damage and knocking me out. I haven't tried State of Enlightenment against them, though. I think I might do that when I get a chance.

Reisen and Futo aren't too hard, especially when making sure to trigger their normal spellcards. Futo only ends up as an issue with the nonspells as well, though, since sometimes i fail to dash past the bullets and there goes Tenshi.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:54:26 AM »
Well, I decided to record my boss battles (lunatic) since it's probably easier to show everyone what I'm doing instead of trying to describe it. Reisen and Futo are basically warm up bosses now. The Futo fight shown in the video didn't go as well as it usually does. Nue is easy enough that I can sometimes break her amulet during phase 4 in just the first two double bow shots, and is practically a guaranteed kill if I get her alt 5. Yuugi... phase 1 and 2 are easy. 3 isn't too bad but I have to make sure I get hit so that I don't trigger her alt 5. Phase 4 is really easy like phase 1, but 5 isn't too bad either as long as I remember to use super armor when I am low on health. (Okay, the fight shown in the video wasn't exactly me playing my best)

Unfortunately... since I started recording, the three times that I've made it to Suwako, I've failed. I think I've been playing too much today, as my fingers are pretty sore... so I'll have a video of Suwako up within the next two days after I beat her again, as well as some footage of my attempts at Iku.

Note: the footage in the videos is not continuous from a single attempt, as you can see from the timer.

106 attempts on Lunatic Boss Rush and ongoing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fEGxKIbjbk&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:56:31 PM by thegunner100 »

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2kj5KXHBs&feature=youtu.be

Here's a look at Suwako on Lunatic.

First time I got Suwako to use her alternate spellcard on lunatic. I made the mistake of forgetting to change my spellcard when I died there. Had I used Temperament instead of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, I may have survived that last hit. When there are only two snakes left, the amount of lasers that they shoot out goes up significantly but in return, they give a ton more scarlet power. Looking back, It might have been better to leave the snakes on the sides for last, as it would have given me more space to work with.

On that note, I triggered all of the alternative spellcards this run and got achievement #32 as a result.

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 12:58:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqfV8GRH468&feature=youtube_gdata

Attempt #115

This time I didn't manage to trigger Suwako's alt because I got hit too much during phase 3, but overall the fight went very smoothly this time.

Unfortunately I messed up a bit on Iku. I actually managed to break her amulet for the first time, but she has so much health! Oh well.

Anyone got any tips for me based on what I did that attempt?

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 02:25:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqfV8GRH468&feature=youtube_gdata

Attempt #115

This time I didn't manage to trigger Suwako's alt because I got hit too much during phase 3, but overall the fight went very smoothly this time.

Unfortunately I messed up a bit on Iku. I actually managed to break her amulet for the first time, but she has so much health! Oh well.

Anyone got any tips for me based on what I did that attempt?
You can use the grenade(last one) if you want to break their spell faster. The ballista took some time to aim.

I'm still struggling with Nue myself, so can't help you on Iku.

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
I don't really like using the grenade. It doesn't have the range that the ballista does and it does less damage. I found it a little useful on Iku phase 1 though. That being said, I finally managed to get her to phase 2. I didn't get to see much though since I died so quickly :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uoq2sLvwM&feature=youtube_gdata

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:42 PM »
Here's phase 3 and 4. So close!!!

http://youtu.be/5L18aSc4CfM