Author Topic: Keyboard or Controller?  (Read 27251 times)

Re: Keyboard or Controller?
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »
Joystick / gamepad.  Playing fighting games (even those with simplistic input commands like the Touhou titles) is like eating soup with chopsticks -- it can be done, but there should be a law against it.

On this:
Does anyone know how to get a Street Fighter IV TE fight stick to work with Unthinkable Natural Law / Scarlet Weather Rhapsody?  I've managed to get the things working with Hopeless MAsquearde (with Xpadder and some screwing around), but cannot manage to get the sticks to worth with the aforementioned game.  It's like the games only recognise analogue sticks, and even thought the SFIVTE sticks have a switch for analogue control, the game doesn't see them; only the buttons.  And if I try to use Xpadder (which does see the analogue function), the game will still revert to the POV switches and render Xpadder null.

Do these Touhou fighters actually have X-input compatibility?

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
I use a keyboard mostly since I've had issues with keeping my controller working correctly (I juggle my PS3 controller between this laptop and the PS3, and I had one break from not disconnect it properly before).

However in many games I've found a controller far more precise. I've been able to react _much_ better so many patterns with a controller. I may try and go back to one after a while.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
here is my setup for 2hu superplaying sessions

the picture is real taken from my room i have snoop dogg as my roommate he is funny :D :D :blush: ??? :o :derp:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:50:11 PM by cactu »

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2014, 12:09:22 AM »
um where is the toilet @ your setup for not having to leave room -> maximum grinding efficiency

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2014, 12:16:02 AM »
It's built into that seat. It's just a bad angle in the picture~
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Drake

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2014, 12:24:21 AM »
um where is the toilet @ your setup for not having to leave room -> maximum grinding efficiency
that's what you use the empty cans for

maximum efficiency

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2014, 03:30:54 AM »
keyboard. arrow keys are better than cross pad because you have comfortable access to opposites at any given time on arrows. please learn and appreciate even a crappy keyboard, do not fall into the trap of the saturn pad unless you have to i.e. playing on an actual saturn... even then...

(analog controls for digital movement is physically painful, as much as i would like that to be otherwise)

edit: up/down and diagonals are fine except for fighting games. saturn controller is good, but it's been meme'd into being "necessary"

edit2: as pirated explained, the reason so many people have issue with keyboard is because they use bizarre key mappings that require playing twister the entire time, or they're trying to play on some laptop keyboard
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:50:46 PM by Despatche »

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2014, 03:45:30 AM »
I don't mind the keyboard, but hey PS3 controller is just too damn nice for me to pass up. :V

Zil

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »
comfortable access to opposites at any given time
How about up and down? Or, god forbid, up-left and down-right?

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »
Plain old keyboard of my WW2 laptop. Probably would feel weird with a controller (although i've been playing with controllers all my life.... good old SNES...).

And can i use this opportunity for complaining about my goodddam Z key? I guess the culprit is the trash accumulated UNDER the keys...
Z get stuck often and i find myself playing Touhou with almost autofire.... nice you say? LIKE HELL, when i clear a stage i need to wait for it to get unstuck or the score screen won't go away!

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2014, 09:08:13 AM »
keyboard. arrow keys are better than cross pad because you have comfortable access to opposites at any given time on arrows. please learn and appreciate even a crappy keyboard, do not fall into the trap of the saturn pad unless you have to i.e. playing on an actual saturn... even then...

(analog controls for digital movement is physically painful, as much as i would like that to be otherwise)
Which is why most of Japanese WR holders use SS pads and not crappy keyboards?

Pirated

• Fairy of Average Intelljence
  • Touhou... that's an anime, right?
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
Well it's been a while since I posted about Touhou.
And I want to ask the players rather interesting questions.
-
Do you use a keyboard or a controller(or an arcade stick), when you play Touhou games(yes, even the fighting games)?

If a controller. What kind?

If a keyboard. Is it a gaming keyboard?(Pretty sweet. Even if it's just a game that requires few keys.)

Which do you think is more superior? (Considering you've played using both)

Do you think people who uses a keyboard are better than those who uses a controller?

Controller.
Logitech Gamepad F310.
In general, I think it depends what you played with the most. Specifically for me, I think controllers are WAY superior.
No, because I know that most of my friends that play Touhou can't stand a controller, but they are superb with a keyboard.

I myself can't play with a keyboard for the life of me.  Using shift is annoying as my pinky gets tired really quickly. Another complaint is the fact that escape is so far away from z. If I'm the middle of an intense spell card, sometimes I might not have enough time to pause, which could cost me a life. The worst thing about the keyboard for me is movement. The arrow keys feel choppy and unresponsive. The down key always gets in my way of switching from left to right, which almost always screws me over. And moving is a circle is HELL for me, espcailly in spell cards like Spleen Eater. (or "Vengeful Cannibal Spirit, if you're that good.) Using a keyboard is almost impossible for me, and I commend all of you who have learned to master the board of the keys.

1cc N: PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV
1cc H: You're joking, right?

Drake

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
shift is annoying as my pinky gets tired
escape is so far away from z
down key always gets in my way of switching from left to right
what the heck are you doing dude

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »
Okay.
Umm hello I am sorry but what is the meaning of this post please?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »
Which is why most of Japanese WR holders use SS pads and not crappy keyboards?
SS Pads? May I ask what those are?

Personally I can use both comfortably, I use a Logitech gaming keyboard and is very responsive, but I mostly use my Steel series gamepad as I've been a console gamer all my life till a few years ago when I slowly made the switch to pc gaming. (low end pc gaming anyway lol)
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Drake

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »
Sega Saturn

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »
I use pinky for shift! I found the ESC to be problematic as well, so I remapped it to Spacebar.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:32 AM »
Sega Saturn
I feel the Not sure if meme is appropriate here. Because I have heard stranger, which now makes me want to try taking on Touhou with a NES controller!

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2014, 06:07:18 AM »
Been using my new PS3 controller to play Touhou lately. I missed it so much. So good. :'D Also unlike with the keyboard where I have a bad habit of holding down the shot key even if I don't necessarily want to shoot at a given time, I can easily stop firing and not feel awkward with my fingers while using the controller.

SIRookie

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2014, 06:09:14 AM »
I feel the Not sure if meme is appropriate here. Because I have heard stranger, which now makes me want to try taking on Touhou with a NES controller!

I can see it, some of my better runs have been with an actual controller (xbox, though).
Also I'm considering getting an old retro NES/SNES controller to try the fighting games with

Phoenix-P

• Reisen...it's punishment time...
  • One Optical Camouflage please
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
for the time, only played with a normal keyboard for both fighting and shooting games. i think it depends on the player which type of controller they like, some people can be better with the keyboards and others on controllers. i personally would like to try using a controller for the fighting games so i dont smash the keys trying to use diagonal specials on SWR or Hisoutensoku ^^;
The Power of Baka!

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
I would have to agree, using the numpad for fighting games on paper seems nice but as someone use to a controller it feels very slow compared to what a analog stick can do.

Pirated

• Fairy of Average Intelljence
  • Touhou... that's an anime, right?
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:31 AM »
Not everyone uses their middle and index finger for z and x.
Sometimes I'm a little slow when I pause.
As for the arrow keys, I feel that the key next to left should be right, not down. I would use the num pad, but hand positioning is awkward for my freakish large hands

1cc N: PoDD, LLS, MS, PoFV
1cc H: You're joking, right?

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:21 AM »
I've tried using a controller before, but I'd need a ton of practice to get it to work for me.  Keyboard's been the thing I play with most.  Not sure which I like better.  My hands are more used to doing the motions on a keyboard so I can more quickly move/focus/bomb and stuff with it, though if I took the time I might be able to get a controller to give superior results.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
I'm a keyboard user since forever for both danmaku and fighting. Speaking about finger location... I use pinky, ring, middle and index finger for shift, z, x and c (trance in TD only), respectively. I have some interest in fighting games and I find keyboard extremely unconvenient and I can't do several moves, I might buy a controller when I have the money. Does anyone have any recommendation? :)
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »
Logitech F310 is pretty good for people on a tighter budget. I've been using it myself for quite a while, and movement feels pretty fluid with the d-pad.

I'd like to try an arcade stick one day, but I don't exactly have the budget for it, and I don't know any custom builders around where I live.

Drake

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
I know d3v is in the Philippines, if you consider that close at all, haha.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »
Not close enough in the slightest. lol

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I started with keyboard, had a hard time 1ccing SA back when it was new for me, tried my ps3 controller, 1cc'd it on my first try then with lives to spare... Tried using controller more, failed harder than normal, went back to keyboard, much better.

Sometimes i still try a controller but i always do horrible. I think mu first SA 1cc was just a beginner's luck fluke of something.

I want a specific game keyboard that as far as i know doesnt exist. I dont want some turbo headsh0t maximum extreme spec-ops force pro 2000 or whatever... I just want mechanicl keys on an otherwise normal keyboard without macros, LCD things, presets, whatever... Hopefully for something in between the price of a normal meyboard and ine of those fancy pants costs too much boards.

Problem is i play a variety of games, to the point that even keyboards that claim anti ghosting actually ghost with ONE game or another. As far as i know mechanical keys are the only ones tht truly never ghost.