Author Topic: Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project  (Read 72476 times)

Re: Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Yep, looking forward to Marisa Team Extra translation :)

Hm, "sends" or "reaches"... It's something that I can't really say for sure. I have a feeling that the correct answer relies on context of this title which maybe mentioned in Extra prologue or during one of teams' dialogs. Or maybe it's really an issue of accurate translation. Anyway, I'll keep it in mind in case if I come across some hint about it.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2013, 02:19:12 PM »
Just played through the Reimu Route yesterday with the current patch, and everything seems normal. We're still missing the Extra Stages, but everything looks fine so far.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
Good :) I thought about asking you to take a quick check of current version but you looked busy. Still there are some really small things to improve (adjust size of some balloons) but, on the other hand, I may skip it till post-release version because it's unlikely that anyone will notice the difference and it takes a lot of time to do.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 12:00:25 AM »
For the teams, it looks like the very last section of white text in each isn't translated. The first section appears to be the shot types, and the second is the spell cards, but I don't think we have translations for the third section. Am I missing something?

By the way, did you happen to notice the fourth "team" sitting there in the files. Too bad that never gets used :3

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »
Marisa and Byakuren's extra story finished , requesting someone to review it too. I don't think that it is pretty good but it looks ok.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:19:22 AM by Kaze_Senshi »
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:55 AM »
Here's the stuff for difficulty selection. In addition to replacing the image, you'll need to replace the two .dnh files in the scene folder to accommodate the change to the image size.
This has only been tested in normal mode. You'll have to let me know if hidden mode (particularly for Lunatic, which is different) and extra mode has any issues.

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 07:27:51 AM »
Marisa and Byakuren's extra story finished , requesting someone to review it too. I don't think that it is pretty good but it looks ok.

Yay, thank you a lot! I hope someone can help with review because I'm still not a reliable person for such task.

For the teams, it looks like the very last section of white text in each isn't translated. The first section appears to be the shot types, and the second is the spell cards, but I don't think we have translations for the third section. Am I missing something?

By the way, did you happen to notice the fourth "team" sitting there in the files. Too bad that never gets used :3
Ah, you're right, I forgot about it. Hm... I'll try to capture that text (which is unlikely to happen because I have to use OCR and other tricks for that which don't work for such a small text) and see if I can get a translation of it. Upd: got missing info for teams and raw translation for them.
Yep, I know :) Actually, I used this 4th team to make clear version of other teams' images (because it has almost no text, so I cleared it and recolorized to proper teams' colors). And I noticed that there could be even 5th one if you check Package_StageScene.dnh but it's not related to TLC :)

Here's the stuff for difficulty selection. In addition to replacing the image, you'll need to replace the two .dnh files in the scene folder to accommodate the change to the image size.
This has only been tested in normal mode. You'll have to let me know if hidden mode (particularly for Lunatic, which is different) and extra mode has any issues.
Thank you :) There are some issues like overlap on Extra title or difference for Lunatic Front/Back modes but the main use still remains - it's still not easy to read. Narrow font was a good idea but this font is difficult to read (for example, in my opinion, the font which was used in 10D for spellcards is a good example of narrow readable font rechecked, I was wrong; it was related to my issue with fitting MPP spellcards name :3). Maybe you can think about some other narrow font? But anyway, you gave me an idea.
Before I partially made it easier by separating text in more lines (this is what it was done by me except of negative for obvious reason; even more difficult to read but it's just a sample of using more lines). So, I think we can combine both options - use more lines and increase allowed size for images. I'll try to think about how to implement it better but it will take time (I guess).
Sorry for criticism even though you just lend a hand with this project :) But on the other hand, you still gave me some ideas about this case.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:04:20 AM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
D'oh! I just looked at the image again and it looks like I had an extra copy of hidden lunatic mode's text floating around over the extra mode. I've included a new copy, so that little issue should be fixed.
As for the rest, I'll play with is again later to see if I can't figure out something better. Since I know how to change the image area now, it might just be a matter of making everything a little bigger. I'll mock up a few things and you can choose what you like best.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:57:43 AM by WanderingShadow »

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »
Also I think that there is a little TL error on Reimu's extra scenario. What makes more sense, "Diva Who Sends a Far-Off Sound" or "Diva Who Reaches a Far-Off Sound". In my native language it is common to say that you can reach high-pitches when singing. According to Wiki, Riko's title is "遠き音を届ける歌姫"

届く(todoku) means "to reach" and its potential form is 届ける (todokeru) that means "it can reach", but according to the dictionary 届ける also means "to send", so I am confused :x
Ok, I tried to investigate about it but didn't find anything reliable so it's just my opinion. I think the meaning is not about being able to have a voice which can be heard from distant but actually singing (right now) and the song can be heard from far away. I think that she was actually discovered due to her singing. Maybe there is a trick related to very good knowledge of Japanese or/and English but I don't possess any of them :) So, I think "Diva Who Sends a Far-Off Sound" is a valid translation.

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »
Ok, thanks to Kaze_Senshi and Flan27, all music comments are done, Extra stage for Marisa&Byakuren team is done and the game works without AppLocale so at last I can use any font :3 But running the game in any locale still requires testing before I can be sure that this un-Japanese patching didn't produce any new bugs.
So the only things left to be done before first release version are Extra stage for Sanae&Byakuren team, endings for 2nd and 3rd teams, rename one spellcard and finish tweaks for images.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:48:56 PM by Vectorfish »

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
The First post has been updated with the current status of the patch.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »

I feel like this is a little late, but I went through and checked it.  I can see someone else did the same, but I went ahead and made some more changes anyways...I did the changes on the Wiki page but I'll detail the choices I made here just in case there's some confusion on changes I made.

Line references: http://en.touhouwiki.net/index.php?title=Mystical_Power_Plant%2FStory%2FMarisa_and_Byakuren%27s_Extra&diff=307604&oldid=307560

Line 61: Just a bit of clean up.
Line 79: Edited for flow.
Line 89: Edited for flow.

Line 118: electric brain world tree (tonelico) > Electronic World Tree, Tonelico
The biggest motivating factor behind this change was that I don't like the sound of 'electric brain world tree.'  The word translated for 'electric brain' (電脳) literally does mean 'electronic brain,' but it means it in the sense of a computer being an electronic brain.  I changed this to 'Electronic' because electronic has a kind of computer-esque connotation to it (compared to electric), so the brain part isn't really necessary. 

Secondly, I removed the brackets from Tonelico and made it a name drop.  In Japanese, both Electronic World-Tree and Tonelico would be encoded into one word, but thanks to English not using Kanji, that's not really possible.  I split them up this way so that both meanings are described in the text without having to break the flow of speech with parantheses.

Line 118: diva who can reach far off sounds > Diva of Distant Sounds
You can feel free to disagree with me on this one, but I felt like this needed to be cleaned up.  Distant Sound implies that its reaching you from somewhere far away, so I felt no need to make the reaching part explicit.  Other then that, I just reorganized the title a little bit so that it sounds nicer.  I think it still carries the important parts of the Japanese title's meaning, but if you disagree it won't hurt my feelings :P

Line 137: Some cleaning.  I don't like the word 'influences' that much either, but its a little better I suppose? Maybe 'influential people' would be better.
Line 163: Same as 118 above.
Line 170:  Cleaned up for better flow.
Line 188: Flow
Line 201: Flow
Line 211: fixed a misread...and flow
Line 238: Flow
Line 244: Flow
Line 251: Flow and a bit of characterization, plus a correction

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about my choices, or noticed any mistakes I made/things I missed.

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »
I feel like this is a little late, but I went through and checked it.  I can see someone else did the same, but I went ahead and made some more changes anyways...I did the changes on the Wiki page but I'll detail the choices I made here just in case there's some confusion on changes I made.

Line references: http://en.touhouwiki.net/index.php?title=Mystical_Power_Plant%2FStory%2FMarisa_and_Byakuren%27s_Extra&diff=307604&oldid=307560

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about my choices, or noticed any mistakes I made/things I missed.
No no no, you're definitely not late. Actually, it won't be late ever as long as I support this project (so even after release I will include fixes). Thank you for your review :) If/when you have time, take a look at other stages too.
Btw, can anyone take a review of Staff Roll and teams' skill tree description (the text which is shown when you select team) which I did so we could insert them to the game?

Upd: added changes to Reimu and Marisa teams' Extra scenarios.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:01:08 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 08:33:13 PM »
I did some experiments with fonts and text for difficulty select and decided to use this one for now. I didn't decide about the look of alternative names (Pine Level etc) for difficulties yet, I'm likely to change it. Any opinions?
Here the sample of how it looks in the game:

Upd: implemented images for teams description. I think I'll put alternative names of difficulties lower to have more space between difficulty label and team description.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:29:23 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
The difficulty select font is much nicer than the one I picked out. The team select looks a little cluttered, though. Just my opinion.
Also, was the third part really just the skill tree descriptions? I feel dumb now.

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
Hm.  Maybe you're right. What/how would you recommend to change?
Yep, it's skill tree description. I and my friend ripped original text from images and according to translation of them, it's just description of skill tree. I added both original and translated texts to the wiki (you can find them in Shot Types) so you can compare them.
And right now I almost finished first version of Staff Roll images. Hope to show a sample of it in 1-2 hours.

Upd: ok, sample of Staff Roll (just in case, text wasn't reviewed in sense of proper translation). Kinda weird for now. The way text looks is... I don't know, it's just strange, ragged or something like that. Don't know how to make it better yet.

Upd2: actually, as I found out, original Japanese Staff Roll looks weird too (I guess it's because of scaling; I think it'd look better if they try to adjust it a little bit). Anyway, I tried to use different fonts, sizes and layouts and got this one. Not much better but not so bad, I guess.

Now, I'll try to change team descriptions images like WanderingShadow suggested. I guess the issue is that I used too bold font for shot/spellcard/skill tree text so I'll try to find a thinner font.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:15:57 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »
Ok, I did more experiments with fonts for team descriptions and found it to be quite hard to get a better font option. For now I have these two possible versions and still can't decide which one is better (if any of them is better at all). I prefer the first one a little bit more than the second one. Just in case, the line with "Press C" is there only for this specific team&type, any other one doesn't have that line and it's just empty space there.

And I did the remaining image which was main loading screen. I tried to use similar font like it was done in 10D by Gensokyo.org.

So, at this moment I can conclude that image works are done, more or less, possible improvements were shifted to the new optional step "Improve fonts" where both images and in-game text font improvements are included and I'll do them meanwhile waiting for new translations. At this moment, the only remaining things for the first release are Extra stage for Sanae and endings for Sanae and Marisa.

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
The second one has nicer spacing between the lines, but the first one is easier to read so that's probably the better option.

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
Ok, then I'll use the option from the first image for now until I find a better one. I took a look at how it was done in Imperishable Night in hope to get a good idea... but the text is hardly readable there so it didn't help me at all.
Btw, do you have any thoughts about Staff Roll? Is it fine or I should try to find some other font or change layout (a sample would be good if you can)? The only things I changed there are those lines which were only in Japanese (like name of the projects, release date, abilities of development team) and added romaji for Japanese names (like Milka Oyasu), I didn't touch those lines which were originally in English (like roles in the team).

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2013, 08:12:56 PM »
I was actually pretty fond of the font in the first image. The serif font has a sort of official look that goes really well with the background.
It looks like you were trying to mimic the name font in the first image and the title font in the second. It might be a good idea to use a combination of those things. Stick with the serif font for name translation (which will give it uniformity with the names that were already translated) and use the title font for the ability translation. You could also try and make the ability a different font, maybe something a little more flowy like Lucida Calligraphy or Monotype Corsiva. Then again I'm a bit biased toward those types of font, so it may just be me. Let me know if you like any of those ideas and I'll try and mock something up in a bit... 

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2013, 09:03:59 PM »
If nobody is translating the Sanae's extra ending I want to finish it tonight. Also I think that there is some wrong TL at the very first screen from the game, but for some reason I can't see any picture from this topic on my computer for while, so later I'll try to discuss more about it.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
Thank you very much, I'd be glad if you do.
Yeah, for some reason the service where I posted all images earlier went down and I have no idea if it's temporal issue or I have to use some other more reliable image hosting.
Very first image... I think the only image with dialogs was "I am the Great Tengu, Suitokuin. Now, I shall explain this entire incident to you.". Is it this one?

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
Nope, the veery first screen from the game is that "The characters and organizations that appeared here are fictional..." or something like. I didn't see the word "Gensokyo" in the Japanese sentence but it appears on the english TL, maybe it is just a free adaptation of "Gensou IRI" 幻想入り. Also it lacks the word 可能性 in the TL.
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
Ah, you're right. I didn't check it properly when I copied the text from the 10D (the beginning and the ending was the same and length was quite similar :3), there are differences.
Can you take a look at proper translation of this image too?

[attach=1]

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »
Sanae and Kanako's extra story finished, requesting review

Ah, you're right. I didn't check it properly when I copied the text from the 10D (the beginning and the ending was the same and length was quite similar :3), there are differences.
Can you take a look at proper translation of this image too?

[attach=1]

当ゲームは二次創作であり、登場する人物、団体等は幻想入りしてる可能性があります。
Maybe something like...
This game is a fan-game, there is a chance of the characters and organizations introduced here being part of an illusion.
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2013, 05:51:02 AM »
Thank you a lot again! :)
At last, after we will get a review of Sanae Extra, we'll be missing only endings, for Marisa and Sanae teams. The release is getting close.
I changed your first screen line to from "This game is a fan-game..." to "This is a fan-made game...". I think it's more natural this way.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:41:11 AM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »
Just a quick note, TH-JSS released a bug-fix patch - 1.00c - which you can grab here.
I wonder how I can contact them because I have spotted one bug with the script some time ago.
Ah, and, of course, I'm still waiting for review of Sanae Extra. It'd be nice if someone can check it :3

Upd: yay, thank you TwilightsCall :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:17:38 PM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »
Great, now all Extra stages are translated and implemented :) So, the only necessary thing left for first release - endings.

Updated TODO list, cleared of finished stuff:

• Endings (Marisa and Sanae teams)
  • Improve fonts (new)
  • Spellcard comments
  • Minor text adjustments (done)
  • Make a proper patcher

I wanted to add links nicely into the main list but there are issues with tag parser on this forum. Anyway:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:54:14 PM by Vectorfish »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2013, 03:17:11 PM »
At last! I finished one of the most (or the most?) tiresome, annoying and unnoticeable technical parts of the translation project, which was called "Minor text adjustments". In spite of being minor, it took a lot of time to finish. Now all game text - dialogs, comments, endings - are nicely (in my and, hopefully, other people's opinion) aligned. To do that, I have to implement some new functions and use two dirty hacks because of removing Japanese locale requirement and the way Danmakufu works with text. I still need to do the same for text which still remains non-translated but now it'll be easier because I know what and how I need to do and the amount of text is significantly lower.

As usual, looking forward to someone's help with endings reviewing :) For now, there is only one ending to review but Kaze_Senshi told that he would try to translate other three endings too soon.

Upd: now there are two endings for reviewing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:26:54 PM by Vectorfish »