Author Topic: [v2.0 Revamp] 東方魔宝城 ~ Book of Star Mythology Fan-made Ultra Patch!  (Read 6157 times)

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
After almost 5 6 months of work, countless requests for testers on Discord, and thousands of game reboots, it's finally finished!
Book of Star Mythology Ultra
Have you ever thought "this fangame is too easy"?
Have you ever wanted its Lunatic to be more difficult?
Then, this patch is for you!

RESOURCE SYSTEM CHANGES
Only one life piece is required to get an extra life in Legacy. The magnitude gauge now needs 500 wish items (instead of 333) to fill.
GAME CHANGES
Various bits of unused code have been reactivated that provide more challenge.
In Stage 4, Mokou will now use her Last Word in her midboss fight.
On the Extra stage, there is a massive spam of fairies before the midboss that can gives a ton of resources: this is intentional.

Click here to download.
Trailer video (may be outdated)

Despite its name as an Ultra patch, it's really more of a Lunatic+ patch.
The patch will only work on Lunatic difficulty and may will break spectacularly on other difficulties.
The patch is not balanced for Legacy mode (turns out, dying cuts out a lot of life pieces)
The patch is for maingame and the extra stage.
The patch is balanced to have all attacks be possible. For real this time
The patch is balanced based on tester feedback.
The patch may or may not have broken RB's soul. Nowi it's claimed two...
The patch is not balanced for certain shottypes...
not that they are for the base game anyway :V

I've reworked most of the stuff to be actually feasible for a Legacy clear. However, if you want to download the old version for some reason, click here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:21:18 AM by CrestedPeak9 »
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
I played Ultra Extra and I got a shitty failed run which lost to Sengo's final (2nd phase) here.
I subsequently cleared Ultra Extra with 2 lives left!
(I haven't played maingame and I probably don't intend to :V)

Some of my impressions on the whole thing (I'm just one voice of many so don't trust my opinion too much):

I particularly liked Sengo's first few nonspells, they were difficult but doable for the most part. The last two nonspells were less dodgeable for me, but then again it's ultra so I'm not expecting to be able to read everything.

The spells were quite well done for the most part, particularly Sengo's. The only spells I had to attrition (I don't have much experience with this patch, though) are Double Sacrilegious Nyuudou and Higan River Deluge. The rest mostly had good places to bomb and shotgun to ease the pain on your resources, so well done in that respect.

However, Sengo's survival continues to be a massive drain on resources; I'd rather not spend 7 or 8 bombs and 3 or 4 lives on a single spell. I don't want it to be nerfed either because it's, well, an ultra patch after all, so I was wondering if it would be feasible to lower the bomb piece requirement for a bomb to, say, 4 (or maybe 3? I have no idea how balanced it'd turn out). Maybe it'd give people slightly more resources for a better chance to clear. Then again, this is just my first impressions. Maybe it's perfectly fine and I'm just too scrub to be able to clear this lol (Turns out it was just me not managing my resources properly, it's fine as it is. No need to change anything.)

That's really it. I quite enjoyed it honestly. I'll probably come back and try to clear it when I feel like it. (And I did!) Nice patch!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:39:48 PM by DarkPermafrost »

Grrr.
---
YouTube

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
I played Ultra Extra and I got a shitty failed run which lost to Sengo's final (2nd phase) here.
I subsequently cleared Ultra Extra with 2 lives left! (I'm uploading it now.)
(I haven't played maingame and I probably don't intend to :V)

Some of my impressions on the whole thing (I'm just one voice of many so don't trust my opinion too much):

I particularly liked Sengo's first few nonspells, they were difficult but doable for the most part. The last two nonspells were less dodgeable for me, but then again it's ultra so I'm not expecting to be able to read everything.

The spells were quite well done for the most part, particularly Sengo's. The only spells I had to attrition (I don't have much experience with this patch, though) are Double Sacrilegious Nyuudou and Higan River Deluge. The rest mostly had good places to bomb and shotgun to ease the pain on your resources, so well done in that respect.

However, Sengo's survival continues to be a massive drain on resources; I'd rather not spend 7 or 8 bombs and 3 or 4 lives on a single spell. I don't want it to be nerfed either because it's, well, an ultra patch after all, so I was wondering if it would be feasible to lower the bomb piece requirement for a bomb to, say, 4 (or maybe 3? I have no idea how balanced it'd turn out). Maybe it'd give people slightly more resources for a better chance to clear. Then again, this is just my first impressions. Maybe it's perfectly fine and I'm just too scrub to be able to clear this lol (Turns out it was just me not managing my resources properly, it's fine as it is. No need to change anything.)

That's really it. I quite enjoyed it honestly. I'll probably come back and try to clear it when I feel like it. (And I did!) Nice patch!

Ah yes, I'll nerf the Nyuudou spell in the next update. It seems the lasers are too clumped, so I'll probably change how the attack is buffed entirely.
For the wave spell, reading the gaps in the waves are very important - you can be 'pushed' along with the wave to the end and the wave will change direction.
I would have to nerf the survival if the fairy spam wasn't there, yeah. Maybe I'll nerf the fairy spam and this spell in the future as well.
Thanks for playing, hope you try the maingame too!

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
Thanks to Dark Permafrost and RB for giving extensive feedback and balance suggestions on the original Ultra release.
Everything is now 100% theoretically possible up to their capabilities :V
As usual, if there's any issues please raise them here or on Discord or notify me somehow.