Author Topic: Why do some spell cards have really tiny health bars?  (Read 2070 times)

Why do some spell cards have really tiny health bars?
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:24:23 AM »

It makes it so much more difficult to get the cancels right.. what's the reason for it? it's so annoying!

Seppo Hovi

Re: Why do some spell cards have really tiny health bars?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:26:57 AM »
日本酒.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:28:15 AM »

It makes it so much more difficult to get the cancels right.. what's the reason for it? it's so annoying!
Which spellcards in particular do you mean?  In some cases it's due to how much time you spend not under the boss, so the health bar is lower to compensate, making homing types kill it faster (DDC SakuyaA vs. Kagerou is a good example of this).  In others it's due to the pattern being intense and if it went on longer it wouldn't be fair (Eternal Meek).

chum

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:35:13 AM »
Which spellcards in particular do you mean?  In some cases it's due to how much time you spend not under the boss, so the health bar is lower to compensate, making homing types kill it faster (DDC SakuyaA vs. Kagerou is a good example of this).  In others it's due to the pattern being intense and if it went on longer it wouldn't be fair (Eternal Meek).

He means that the bar itself is smaller, not that the attack takes any less time to kill. I don't know the answer to the question... Can be a pain in EoSD

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:47:59 AM »
Ah.  Well at least it's not PC-98 where you can't actually see the point on the bar where one attack ends and the next begins...

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
For example in Perfect Cherry Blossom, Lettys final spell card.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
I think it just became a habit for ZUN to pair up nonspells and spells with one big health bar. Not sure why, I agree that it's inconvenient obviously.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 05:40:17 AM »
Isn't it because bosses take different amount of damage during spells and non-spells?