Author Topic: WE'RE NAKED AND IT JUST SAVED EVERYTHING! [Kill la Kill Thread]  (Read 173154 times)

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Re: Kill la Kill
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
My goodness, just finished with the first episode (a bit late to the party, I know), and I must say it's WONDERFUL. Gonna keep watchin' for sure, it's probably already among my favorites since it felt like Gurren Lagann all over again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:20:13 PM by Synnae ~★ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 03:08:53 AM »
I see a lot of people around the internet, not just here, saying that the show reminds them of Gurren Lagann, and I just don't see how.  Watching it again, RE: Cutey Honey seems to be the most appropriate comparison as far as Gainax shows go.  If it keeps up then I'd love to see how close it ends up being to RCH since that's my favorite CH adaptation ever. 

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 03:18:06 AM »
I see a lot of people around the internet, not just here, saying that the show reminds them of Gurren Lagann, and I just don't see how.  Watching it again, RE: Cutey Honey seems to be the most appropriate comparison as far as Gainax shows go.  If it keeps up then I'd love to see how close it ends up being to RCH since that's my favorite CH adaptation ever.

I definitely see the Gurren Lagann-ness. Aside from the visual stuff (the art style, the Gurren Lagann themes like drills and faces on things, the similar character designs) it's paced in a very similar way and the dialogue is basically interchangeable. Those are probably more marks of the studio than that specific show, but even if I wasn't aware going in that it was the same studio I imagine I would've picked it up within like fifteen seconds.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 04:21:00 AM »
I definitely see the Gurren Lagann-ness. Aside from the visual stuff (the art style, the Gurren Lagann themes like drills and faces on things, the similar character designs) it's paced in a very similar way and the dialogue is basically interchangeable. Those are probably more marks of the studio than that specific show, but even if I wasn't aware going in that it was the same studio I imagine I would've picked it up within like fifteen seconds.
Some how I missed all the faces the first time, especially the one on her outfit.  However, I'm seeing the RCH likenesses in her transformation/outfit, her weapon (a stretch since Honey uses a sword), the fights themselves (only one to compare to thus far) and especially with the villain structure/hierarchy.  I'll probably wind up calling them Panther Claw on multiple occasions.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 05:08:40 AM »
That's assuming they end up the main antagonists too.

I mean the premise of this actually staying 'girl vs. school' seems to be drifting a bit- satsuki's smart enough to keep from throwing one of her aces straight at the new unforeseen force, she's probably smart enough to turn this situation on it's head. Just tell the girl what she wants, send her after someone who's probably working against honnouji, have a fuckin' ball. It seems like it's just leading us on a bit here but...eh, could be me.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:59 AM »
That's assuming they end up the main antagonists too.

I mean the premise of this actually staying 'girl vs. school' seems to be drifting a bit- satsuki's smart enough to keep from throwing one of her aces straight at the new unforeseen force, she's probably smart enough to turn this situation on it's head. Just tell the girl what she wants, send her after someone who's probably working against honnouji, have a fuckin' ball. It seems like it's just leading us on a bit here but...eh, could be me.
Also good points. I'm looking forward to seeing how the series turns out.  That said I'm still going to make my roommates watch RCH this week so they can understand what I'm on about.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 04:13:35 AM »
I just watched the first episode and this is an amazing thing. I so wanna cosplay Ryuuko she is a total BAMF but mannnnnn that outfit is a bit... much xD

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 06:23:13 AM »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:04 PM »
I've been watching Attack On Titan saturday nights with a group of people, and now that it's over we've unanimously transitioned to this. It's going to be tough resisting the urge to pre-watch it every week.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 02:18:32 AM »
I recommended the show to my former roommate, who originally showed me Gurren Lagann a few years ago. He and his fiance both loved it, and he noticed that in the establishing shots of the classroom there's a kid in the back row playing with Marvel comics action figures behind a propped up book. In the first scene it's grey Hulk and Iron Man, and the second time it's green Hulk and Destroyer. That's a neat detail. :D

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 02:51:09 AM »
If you look really closely there's a Sentinel in his desk:

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 02:52:51 AM »

wackbot

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »

Ha! So there is. Cool.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
Alright so I finally watched the first episode

...yeah this will be the anime to watch this season. I haven't had this much fun on a first episode in a while.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 11:05:35 PM »
She wields half a scissor blade and there are red strings of fate all over the fucking OP. symbolism~
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2013, 01:11:41 AM »
second episode someone stop me before i loop it the whole day in office

fangirling intensifies
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 01:23:06 AM »
its out?

oh hell yesss

Spoiler:
the teacher is 2sexy4me

man this is looking more like panty and stocking 2 than gurren lagaan 2 :V

poor mako is getting the danganronpa treatment ;-;

omg mako your so fucking precious

so much nudity

this is pretty much the psg sequel :V

except now with proper plot
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:15:14 AM by Suikama »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 04:18:09 AM »
Gainax shows KLK cribs off of:
1) Re Cutey Honey
2) Diebuster
3) PSG
Not ranked) Gurren Lagann

Ended up watching it 3 times tonight due to reasons, it's basically the best show this year hands down.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »
Jumping on the 'this show is absolutely amazing' bandwagon. Even the credits got a laugh out of me - Guts [the dog] is listed as being voiced by '?'

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
after the first episode i thought the final episode would culminate with everyone wearing universe sized uniforms

but now its clear that the final episode will just have everyone fighting totally naked

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2013, 02:30:09 AM »
Holy shit this is like the Dead Leaves series that I always wanted, only infinitely better

after the first episode i thought the final episode would culminate with everyone wearing universe sized uniforms

but now its clear that the final episode will just have everyone fighting totally naked
but they don't have powers without uniforms
that would be too boring
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2013, 02:43:25 AM »
Big Bitch has only a sword and she's p.rad so far

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
Big Bitch has only a sword and she's p.rad so far
Next ep. preview showed that the president also has a kamui uniform, though.

e: it even has a name, Junketsu.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
second episode someone stop me before i loop it the whole day in office

fangirling intensifies

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
Re: It didn't just SAVE anime [Kill la Kill Thread]
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 02:02:36 AM »
My enjoyment knows no bounds.
That underboob is the miracle anime deserves. :V :V
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 05:11:57 AM »
So the second episode was basically the first episode again, but slightly less happened. I am so okay with that. I think you pretty much have to watch every episode twice, because there's no way you can both read the dialogue and catch every crazy visual thing that's going on.

Formless God

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
Show was fun, and the premise and designs were pretty cool. The fanservice and sprite flipping thing can fuck right off though.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »
Show was fun, and the premise and designs were pretty cool. The fanservice and sprite flipping thing can fuck right off though.
The sprite flipping thing was great though; Mako is the best character ever.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2013, 04:46:26 PM »
The sprite flipping thing was great though; Mako is the best character ever.

Agreed, the sprite flipping and the steam shooting out of her costume are still funny every time. I could do with a lot less fanservice, but as I was ultimately okay with it in Gurren Lagann for various reasons I think I'll be okay with it here. It's less creepy when it's this self-aware, even though it probably shouldn't be.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
A lot of the fanservice is done intentionally to make fun of it. She's obviously very aware it's happening and she's going out of her way to point out how ridiculous it is. I really believe this is all a subtle critique of magical girl and schoolage animes as it pretty much makes fun of all the troupes.

Mako is pretty much making fun of the "best friend of the MC" troupe by having her just immediately go BEST FUCKING FRIEND EVER DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS GUY THEY KILLED HIM IT'S OK WE'RE BESTIES FOREVER! They make fun of the whole magical girl transformation sequence and the whole troupe where nobody notices them getting naked and then changing into their outfits by making fun of Ryuuko as an exhibitionist. Even the teachers are like "yeah we know Satsuki is pretty much pure evil but we're not gonna do anything because her mom signs our paychecks". Even Satsuki's motives are like off the wall, she sits there quoting Animal Farm and wants to take over the world through school uniforms and back door terrorist attacks disguised as school competition activities.

Plus with the fanservice it isn't just the girls getting singled out. The whole bishounen striptease thing with the homeroom teacher with Ryuuko going wtf is going on please put your shirt back on .______.;;

Seriously, this has a female MC that fucking kicks ass and has no qualms that she needs a man or whatever to support her. But even though she's a badass she's not rude and mean. She's nice to the kids that give up after she shows them they're out of their league, she gives the delivery guy his delivery after stealing his bike, etc. She just doesn't take any shit from anyone, and I love it. And Mako, even though she's being used as the "damsel in distress", makes fun of that troupe! She's not even close to passive and most of the time she's not even in fear of her life, she has no concerns that Ryuuko won't save the day and prove how amazing of a friend she is. She pretty much openly mocks her captors and the "peril" they put her in.

Seriously I could rant for hours just on the first two episodes, and if things keep up the way they are it's going to be amazing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:33:31 PM by helvetica »