Author Topic: So... Heroes of Cosplay - anyone watching the drama?  (Read 5328 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
So... Heroes of Cosplay - anyone watching the drama?
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
as above.

clearly episode 1 I can only cringe at the Lulu cosplayer for her massive fail and massive proscrastination and WITHOUT  MY BOYFRIEND I AM A WRECK YET I WILL BE A BITCH TO THIS TOTALLY CAPABLE NICE GUY WHO I AM DATING.

I realize it is a reality show but damn i wanna slap them.

Jessica Nigri is a bro, Yaya can go suck dick.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
Re: So... Heroes of Cosplay - anyone watching the drama?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
Haven't seen any full eps, but did see the commercial, and immediately found myself wishing with all my heart that it didn't exist, due to fears of how cosplayers would be portrayed. By the sound of it, I'm not missing anything.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
fears of how cosplayers would be portrayed. By the sound of it, I'm not missing anything.

spoilers: you're correct
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »
Haven't seen any full eps, but did see the commercial, and immediately found myself wishing with all my heart that it didn't exist
This was my feeling as well, only it was a friend who showed me a couple promo spots. It looked like typical mindless reality TV dreck, and from what I've been reading here and elsewhere, that is exactly what this crap is.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
A scifi show about cosplay? Reminds me of "The Tester". Oh man this can only be terrible, must watch.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »
just copy and pasting from fb

Oh yes, my thoughts exactly. for the most part this show is making me cringe, but mostly it is cosplay related so I am watching it even though it is painful

It is scarring to know that in this show, despite all of Yaya Han's effort to not dramaticise the whole thing the rest of the cast, or non-cast, is pretty much missing the point, just why and where did they choose these people, I mean, yes, they obviously am very skilled, Jesse for example showcases immense inner strength and skill, although he is made to seem like he ain't more than a whiner fabricator. For anyone in the cosplay community, myself included (even though I am hardly involved in cosplay actually) this show seems to be mostly of what Cosplay isn't . So what happens if So you want to be a supermodel is a show about cosplay? This would be it.

Reality check if you don't mind, for myself, the community is instead anything but this show seems to imply, I like that I am watching it because finally we somewhat became mainstream (even though cosplay is a serious mainstream sub-culture as it is). But this episode, about body sizes, I'd a double slap on my desk as I watched it, this is sadly misleading. I am sorry, since when is this a supermodel event? But alas, it is the view of SOME people, I imagine that cosplayer who mentioned the issue about body sizes is right now taking a lot of flak... on her fb or whatever.

My community (The Lost Gospel Cosplay Community) has a huge following, and over 400 members who have come and gone and came back again, there are now HR managers, Concierge managers, salesworkers, part-timers, construction workers, even a guy who is now a high wage earning surgeon in spinal injury is among us. I am sorry to say despite our day jobs and some say utterly bitching moments when someone just shows up in the same but better made costume and you go all green-eyed jealousy over them, we are simply not what SyFy wants us to be.

Ok, admittedly in most communities, there is some drama, it is never 100% clean.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
It looked like typical mindless reality TV dreck, and from what I've been reading here and elsewhere, that is exactly what this crap is.
Speaking of bad reality TV, an old acquaintance of mine who is a part of a small business that renovates abandoned houses was featured on Flip That House or whatever it was. This guy, who is as neutral, stoic, and stone-faced as they come, was asked to participate in some of the manufactured drama. While his acting managed to pass on TV, anyone who knew anything about the guy found it outright bizarre. His business was also in a bit of trouble for a spell because of the backlash from the way they were portrayed on the show. No doubt some of what's going on here parallels what was going on there.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
I saw two episodes with my sister. The costumes were pretty impressive, but they focused far too much of the drama for my taste.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »
So... I can't be the only one who enjoyed this piece from Zac.

But yeah, it's just another one of those sensationalist reality tv.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
They really should make a discovery channel esque - How they made it - cosplay show about cosplay props and gears and stuff.
seriously, it would be a show that at least HELPS the fucking community than spoil it for everyone else

pineyappled

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
A real show about cosplay would be hopelessly boring.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:49:53 AM »
I dunno, some sort of speed challenge team competition could be fun.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:38:29 AM »

It's not a show, but Man at Arms is pretty cool.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
Heh, to you maybe, having a one on one discussion about issues of cosplay, discovery of cosplay, and how they actually make them and a team of them prop makers go through arguments on which best to make a sword or a really huge ass sword and what kinda risks they bear when they use chemicals and all those confessions about how they really wanted to win? Oh wow.
Think Junkyard wars, but with cosplay.