Author Topic: Submit your questions for ZUN at AWA 2013!  (Read 63298 times)

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
Re: Submit your questions for ZUN at AWA 2013!
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »
- Will there be any additional religions featured in future works (Christianity, Hinduism, etc)?

It will never happened, also....

Cirno is like Shiva the Hindu God (it represents Hinduism)
EOSD has Christianity symbolism :V

also i have another question to submit

- What is your favorite Youkai?
- Do you watch anime that were based from japanese folklore stories?
- If your trying to reveal Sakuya`s backstory, then her true name is
Spoiler:
Diana Brandy?
<------ i know because she is like
Spoiler:
Dio Brando

HyperGumba

• Substitutional Immortality
  • Touhou MUCK's PR Person or something
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
I bet it has been asked before, and I've been holding off from asking this because of this, but I can't just help it...

Does the amulet in Rumia's hair have any interesting background or history behind it? Or is it nothing but a Red Herring?

The fact that she cannot touch it herself makes me think that it must be some kind of seal, having sealed something. Now I am someone who greatly disagrees with the popular EX-Rumia depiction in fanon (the one with the wings, a  BFS and so on), but I think there has to be something to it, since it is such an odd accessory to have.

Clicking the signature leads you to our flash-based web client! ~ Here is some extensive info on TM! ~ I also have a Tumblr now!

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
How does HM have both the Palanquin Ship and Myouren Temple? Wasn't one used to build the other?

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Heh. Good one interesting. If only the cute ice fairy was more apocalyptic prone...
And yea, I'm well aware that EoSD had Christianity symbolism. Although, it wasn't the first Touhou game that had them.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:06:43 AM by Captain Vulcan »
My mind is not a nice place to be.

xJeePx

• Danmaku Aesthete
  • 夢幻王子
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
- Your earlier works were highly inspired by Izumi Takemoto. Do you still consider yourself as a fan of his works? Which one is your favourite?

- Do you still compose music in FM synthesis?

- It is amazing how your old works for the PC-98 are one of the most talked about games on the system, considering them to be doujin products released in small amounts at the end of the lifespan of PC-98 as a gaming platform. How do you feel about them now?

- During the staff roll of Story of Eastern Wonderland (Touhou Fuumaroku) some photos of the game's boss characters and their danmaku can be seen. I wonder if the idea for Shoot the Bullet dates back to the late 90's?

- In Highly Responsive to Prayers (Touhou Reiiden), it was never stated who was behind the destruction of the Hakurei Shrine. During the fight against Sariel, one of the backgrounds shows five spheres with what seems to be a hint that it was Sariel who destroyed Reimu's shrine, while Kongara is being an equivalent of an Extra boss. Can you please confirm this?

- Can we expect more cameos of PC-98 characters in the future?

- What happened to "Frontal Attack", a song from one of the Shuusou Gyoku prototypes?

- Can we have official names for HRtP (Touhou Reiiden) characters in Japanese (kanji/hiragana/katakana)?

- Aside from beer, what gives you inspiration?

- Which Famicom game is your favourite?

- Which youkai legend is your favourite?

- I've always wondered, what kind of youkai Yuugenmagan (from Touhou Reiiden ~ HRtP) is? A dodomeki, perhaps?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:25:55 PM by xJeePx »

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:25 PM »
Most of these questions are excellent. 

As a ZUN music enthusiast, I would like to ask him "Are there fundamental reasons behind your choice in composing most, if not all, of your music with Minor scale?"

Flipping this question around is to say, "Will you ever compose for an album/game series that is mostly structured with Major scale for Touhou?"

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle

« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
I have a feeling you're implying something else to be answered :)
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2013, 02:21:45 AM »
Sorry to reply a little late. I have one question for ZUN:

"Can you put the original PC-9801 Touhou Project games up for download on your official site?"

The games are for outdated hardware anyways, so I'm sure ZUN would offer them for download so the people who actually own a 9801/9821 can play them. According to Wayback Machine, the games used to cost only 500 to 800 yen each anyways. Also, I am quite sure that ZUN at the moment has little knowledge to exactly how much people like the original games (Someone please tell him at AWA!).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:51:57 AM by 98digger »

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
Can we expect any patches for Hopeless Masquerade with additional content (characters, story mode scenarios, stages, etc.)?
Have you ever tried to develop bug fix patches for some of your more infamous game bugs?

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06:56 PM »
Guys, stop posting more questions.

Everyone involved with AWA is already busy with that, no time to add in new questions at the eleventh hour~ :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
But I wanted to know where he buys his hats. : [

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:56 PM »
He buys them at Nitori's Happy Mask Hat Stand

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2013, 08:43:33 AM »
Q: Where do you buy your hats?
A: ?A lot of places.? Flea markets, normal stores, etc. If he likes it, he buys it.
Soooooo you're not alone!

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
Here's another summary of the first panel, with some additional info:

http://www.wordofthenerdonline.com/zun-awa-panel-recap/

I found it by searching the keyword "zun" on Twitter.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:36:49 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #135 on: September 28, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »
What are the greatest challenges facing independent game developers right now?

Oh sweet! Someone asked him this.
Quote from: ZUN
I think that the biggest challenge in general is that most Indie developers don?t learn from the games that came before them.
That's a really interesting take. Usually when this subject comes up, people talk a lot about the current gaming world, distribution models, and copyright issues. ZUN's point of view that the biggest challenge involves not learning from one's predecessors is something I hadn't considered, but makes total sense when you think about it.

Also, this tickled me:
Quote from: ZUN
I honestly didn?t think that there would be this many people since Touhou isn?t available in North America. I?ve seen a lot of people in Touhou cosplays, but for some reason most of them seem to be men. I?ll be here all day tomorrow and Sunday. I?ll be wandering around so please say hi. In the meantime, I?ll try to learn English.
What a guy.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #136 on: September 28, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
Hakurei Rin
I guess it's a mistype but still interesting. Or he really said that way?
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

« Reply #137 on: September 28, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
I found it by searching the keyword "zun" on Twitter.
I've been camping that search like a drug addled junkie.

Also, I'll just leave this here...

Oh sweet! Someone asked him this.That's a really interesting take. Usually when this subject comes up, people talk a lot about the current gaming world, distribution models, and copyright issues. ZUN's point of view that the biggest challenge involves not learning from one's predecessors is something I hadn't considered, but makes total sense when you think about it.

I think it really ties into the whole Japanese doujin culture, as opposed to the western indie scene. As opposed to having to create something new and original all the time, it kinda fosters an "it's ok to improve on predecessors" kind of a culture.

But yeah, it makes sense to not reinvent the wheel.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2013, 11:28:36 AM »
We got in a bonus question yesterday thanks to UncertainKitten and Solamarle! ZUN was asked for an official romanization of Mary's name. His response?

Spoiler:
"I don't really know."

So there we go. The issue is settled.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2013, 04:44:38 AM »
We got in a bonus question yesterday thanks to UncertainKitten and Solamarle! ZUN was asked for an official romanization of Mary's name. His response?

Spoiler:
"I don't really know."

Perhaps that's for the best. :P

« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2013, 05:29:14 AM »
Someone should've asked him to settle the Ruse Rain vs Loose Rain debate :P

cuc

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
The real answer to the hot spring question is here!

The person who asked this question has posted his recording of this question himself on Youtube, and the audio in this video is very clear.

Here's the important part, transcribed by Five Ants, one of the most knowledgeable Japanese fans:
ZUN「まあ考えたけどやっぱ変なキャラクターいるわけにいかないので 霊夢と魔理沙でお願いします」
 司会者「やっぱりビールももちろん皆さんで飲みますよね?」
 ZUN「もちろん」

Translation:
ZUN: "Well, thinking about it, it can't be the weird characters after all.  Please let it be Reimu and Marisa then."
Presenter: "It goes without saying you are going to drink beer together, right?"
ZUN: "Of course."

Japanese fans tend to read it as saying "of course there's nothing wrong for a father to bath with his daughters" (back when all Japanese bathe in public baths with no gender difference, this is normal ).

Five Ants, on the other hand, has made an interesting reading when only the answer "Marisa" was known: "in the case of Marisa, a human was chosen for personal safety."

What Five Ants meant was, ZUN doesn't think of Gensokyo as a place for himself to live in. He's only an ordinary human from outside; no special treatment awaits him in Gensokyo, and the youkai will find him to be easy food all the same. So he should choose humans.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:20:54 AM by cuc »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »

Spoiler:
"I don't really know."

Hahaha, yes. I am proud to have settle this.
Spoiler:
More precisely, he got a bemused expression on his face and said "I don't know either"
. Sola's reaction was the best.

cuc

« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2013, 04:47:23 PM »
What precisely was your question, "pronunciation" or "spelling"?

Not that it'd make any difference, or his answer is in any way unexpected.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:51:23 PM by cuc »

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Let me grab the note itself:

"A question about Maeriberi Haan.

It's understood her family name is based on Lafcadio Hearn, who took the Japanese name Yakumo Koizumi. What is her first name based on, and how do you write it in Romaji/Western writing?"

This is the English note I asked Solamarle to give me, and he also was good enough to write all that in Kanji with an additional thank you to ZUN for coming and doing the autograph stuff. So, that's how it went.

Xarizzar

• RPG fan
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »
Heh, so, then, that's what he was really asked. Then the fact that he doesn't know kind of makes sense to me. I was kind of confused. Thanks for clarifying what he was exactly asked. I wonder, can someone give me the Japanese version of that note? Sorry if I'm asking too much. Many thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:13:17 PM by Xarizzar95 »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »
The Q&A panel was first come first served and is pretty much it as far as directly Touhou-related stuff goes. I do know for a fact Imosa and a couple of other people did successfully pull a few questions from this thread during the open Q&A. We did have an interview with ZUN directly and the questions we asked were more of a general gaming/ZUN-oriented nature. I wish I could give you a list of what we asked off the top of my head but I'm on hour 50 of being awake.

We will have fantastic write ups of both our amazing experiences with ZUN and with the fandom at AWA!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:55:20 AM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

cuc

« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2013, 05:05:08 AM »
Now I'm regretting having not submitted a question about whether Zenki and Goki survived. Or whether Medicine is a tsugumokami.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2013, 05:08:54 AM »
I did not get to ask a question myself at the Q&A panel. I know Imosa asked one of Ammy's questions, and I'm fairly sure Silentsword got his in. When Sola and I conducted our private interview with ZUN we stuck to general gaming/doujin community questions rather than Touhou canon.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:17:39 AM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."