Author Topic: Submit your questions for ZUN at AWA 2013!  (Read 63577 times)

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
Re: Submit your questions for ZUN at AWA 2013!
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »
I'm not sure if this is close enough to things that have been asked before, but hey let's ask anyway since this is what I wonder about really anyone that creates things I enjoy.

- What does your day to day life look like when you're not working on a game compared to when you are? What kind of activities do you enjoy when you're not working? (in before drinking)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
People, it is ok to point out certain questions with existing canon material, but don't start debating it here.

Discussion please go here http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15213.0.html

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »
I know that they were introduced in the Windows games, but their lack of appearances, other than the oldest Windows works, makes them more like PC-98 characters rather than Windows characters.

Wow. Never heard that one before. EoSD a PC-98 game. He'll be delighted to hear that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
I know that they were introduced in the Windows games, but their lack of appearances, other than the oldest Windows works, makes them more like PC-98 characters rather than Windows characters.

Double "wow." I guess you haven't heard of the cameos and mentions that they've made in the manga and other literature then (such as Rumia's cameos in Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red and Oriental Sacred Place, or Flandre's importance in a certain article in BAiJR and heavily-implied cameo in Inaba of the Earth and Inaba of the Moon)...? And you haven't seen them appear in Shoot the Bullet as bosses? Or, you haven't seen them grouped with the other first several Windows games' characters in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense?

I'm not trying to slam you because, clearly, if you're making a truly baffling statement like that, then I'm justifiably inclined to believe that you haven't done a lot of research on these characters to begin with; I'm being sincere here. :o

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
Not sure if this has been asked yet but, have you ever played, read or listened to any fanworks of Touhou and if so, are there any that especially caught your attention?

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »
I feel this is an important question to ask, just to end all future debates about her name.

• What is the proper romanization for "マエリベリー・ハーン" / "Maeriberī Hān"?

Alternatively, "How would マエリベリー・ハーン be written in Mary's native language?"

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »
Per what Helepolis said, I put my responses in the Misc Questions thread, BL2W and Tengukami.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
I feel this is an important question to ask, just to end all future debates about her name.

• What is the proper romanization for "マエリベリー・ハーン" / "Maeriberī Hān"?

Alternatively, "How would マエリベリー・ハーン be written in Mary's native language?"

- Can we have an official romanization of Miss Hearn's given name? (You don't need to select this one because I know Solamarle will ask it regardless)
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:15 AM »
@Kilgamayan

Whoops. I skimmed the thread and didn't catch that.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »
It was in the first post. NO ONE EVER LISTENS TO ME ;_;
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2013, 12:06:45 AM »
Yeah, would be a good idea to read through the thread to avoid repeating/rephrasing questions already made.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
One I'd like to see asked:

"Where, or whom, would you say are your musical influences, and what sort of creative process do you go through in writing new pieces (either in Touhou or outside of it)?"

Two questions, I know, but either or both would make me quite happy
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
- Who are your favourite Touhou characters? (I know he voted on a popularity poll once and chose Reimu, Youmu, Mokou and someone else, but this sounds like it was a long time ago, and I'm just curious if he got any new favourites in the meantime) What about your favourite pieces?
- Wriggle, Kaguya and Mokou got scrapped from Hisoutensoku due to time constraints. Is there a chance we will see them in a future fighting game, maybe along with other characters we haven't seen in a fighting game yet?
- Have you considered arranging some of U2's themes for the fighting games, like Broken Moon and The Ground's Colour is Yellow, and putting them on a music CD?
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
-What was the first video game you ever played?
-Why weren't the Moriyas involved in the events of Hopeless Masquerade?
-Who are your favorite musicians not primarily known for video game-related music?

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
-What was the first video game you ever played?
I wonder how much people actually remember what was their first video they have ever played...
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Sky_Paladin

• Caution is advised.
  • Unit vector from the center is the surface normal?
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2013, 03:17:46 PM »
I'll add some more!

- Cirno doesn't appear to be a normal fairy.  Can you tell us why she's special? 
- Does fan made material ever influence your direction on characters, e.g., Patchouli's familiar in EoSD is commonly known as Koukuma, Alice is depicted as having a crush on Marisa, and countless other examples. 
- Is there any fan made material that you would like to see that hasn't appeared yet?
My programming et al blog;
http://infinitestateautomaton.wordpress.com/

You want more mafia?
Megatokyo Mafia

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
  • How faithful do you try to be to the myths that are your source material? Is there something that you would like to preserve when translating myths into your stories? For example, why did you reference Prince Shotoku in Ten Desires, but change his character almost entirely?
  • Your characters and stories tend to be very sparsely developed. Why is that? Are you not able to write deeper characters and stories? Do you want to create them as a spring board for your fandom's creativity?

• Can you describe your education, i.e. highest level, anything in particular that you studied? (I'd like to know how much education he has in the hard sciences)
  • In a few points through out the series, you reference the sciences, such as in Kanako's Cold Fusion plan in Wild and Horned Hermit. How do you feel about the sciences? Can we expect to see more references to science in the future? (I'm trying to figure out how much of a science geek he is and if that will show up in the future)

Drake

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
Can you describe your education, i.e. highest level, anything in particular that you studied? (I'd like to know how much education he has in the hard sciences)
He took mathematics in university. He calls himself a "sciences" (理系) guy which is basically the umbrella for studying science/engineering/math/etc, rather than the humanities (文系).

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:38 AM »
I have another question that ZUN could answer...

Would he ever make another Touhou game where Reimu/Marisa appear as a stage boss during an incident as in IN? Or a situation similar to where if there are three people to choose (Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya) as the heroine, and then during stage 4 they meet one of the other heroines you didn't choose (like this: Reimu fights Marisa, Marisa fights Sakuya, and Sakuya fights Reimu)?

Neal Kawashiro

• The yokai of the 7th element
  • Drums, A smooth Rai~ko!(from youtube)
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:07 AM »
Do you consider fan-made characters as real touhou characters?

What's your favorite type of touhou game? the single screen, the split screen type(phantasmagoria) or the fighting type?
Raiko!Raiko!Raiko Sama~!

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »
He took mathematics in university. He calls himself a "sciences" (理系) guy which is basically the umbrella for studying science/engineering/math/etc, rather than the humanities (文系).
*shrug* That's still pretty vague. I wouldn't mind learning more specifics.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
Another question that's alittle silly, I remmeber hearing that Great Fairy Wars was planned to have 6 stages instead of three, I was wondering what they other stages would have been like.

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
That reminds me of a question I asked long ago in the MiscQ thread:
- What's the deal with the eighth track of Ghostly Field Club (Flower of Past Days ~ Fairy of Flower, unused PCB theme)? Was Lily White originally supposed to be a full boss in PCB and later replaced by the Prismriver Sisters? If yes, why did you change your mind?
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:17 AM »
I have a bit of a strange one-

Did working at Taito influence how you make and look at games? Did it help you develop as a game designer? And if it's not too nosy what are some of the titles there you had a hand in making?

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2013, 03:45:54 AM »
Oh, my :D. Well, I've collected some questions from a certain small forum in Spanish. Someone's got to send ZUN some love from Latin America (please!). Sadly, the questions are canon-related only.
Here we go:

-Wll the [other] remaining Devas appear in the future?
-Will Youmu/Sakuya/Sanae/Orin be playable characters again?
-Is there something you dislike about the fandom?
-Would you make a game about [the story of/explaining] the rivalry between kitsunes and tanukis? (If someone can re-word this better, I'd appreciate it very much).

And my personal question:
Why did you choose English names for some of your characters? Are they foreigners? If so, what's their origin?

(I have a feeling this is a very stupid and vague question but  I'm really curious lol)

춤추는 작은 까탈레나~

The Krve

• Power Word : Silence
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
Got this one popped up in my mind recently.
-In Gensokyo, just how hard it is for a normal human to learn danmaku and/or create his/her own spellcard ?

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
I have two questions:

> Will there ever be an official map of Gensokyo?
> Do any of the girls have birthdays?  Not necessarily years, but months and days?  Or is that up to fandom interpretation?

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
 - Welcome to Atlanta! Hope you're enjoying your visit. How was your trip here?
- Can we expect the appearance of another shrine maiden?
- Why is Kasen so elusive? Was she a human once?
- Who is the most difficult/deepest character that you've created?
- Will there be any additional religions featured in future works (Christianity, Hinduism, etc)?
- Bud Light or Budweiser? Just kidding!
- Are you a fan of any Western comics? If yes, which ones?
My mind is not a nice place to be.

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
Got another dozy of a question...

Since Gensokyo is a place where youkai go so that they aren't forgotten and disappear... can Touhou be quite easily seen as a religion in itself, and in turn, Gensokyo be a form of "Heaven/Hell"? I mean, you have everything there to start a religion. You have the spirits of the world and people who believe in them and worship them (as with the case of Kanako and Suwako).

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2013, 04:08:09 AM »
  • What's the funniest/stupidest bug you ever encountered during development?

I like rain. Do you like rain?