Author Topic: 2020 Olympics Vote - Tokyo to host 32nd Olympiad  (Read 8415 times)

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
2020 Olympics Vote - Tokyo to host 32nd Olympiad
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »
The IOC will be voting on who will be the host of the XXXII Olympiad in 2020 in Buenos Aries.

The three candidates are Madrid, Tokyo, and Istanbul.  And no city has a clear edge over the others.

Voting begins at 2:45 pm Eastern, and the announcement of the host city will be at 4 pm.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:08:08 AM by Aya Reiko »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
Re: 2020 Olympiad Vote (9-7-13) / Madrid v Tokyo v Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »
Just to sneak in here and say...

JAPAN WILL HOST IN 2020!

I'm perfectly happy with this~

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:30 AM »
Every Tokyo native I know is furious. <_<

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »
Every Tokyo native I know is furious. <_<
Just curious, why is that?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:00:51 AM »
Massive increase in traffic and asshole tourists in the surrounding area for a long period of time.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:05 AM »
This can only help their economy >_>

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »
But we all know Japan is iffy at best about dem gaijins.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
so when will they start preparing a giant-ass long holographic glass across Japan for Miku to run through with the torch?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
It kind of really doesn't. Most of the money ends up going to the IOC or in a giant money pit and burned during the opening and closing ceremonies.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 02:38:57 AM »
It kind of really doesn't. Most of the money ends up going to the IOC or in a giant money pit and burned during the opening and closing ceremonies.

That.

It promotes tourism for a period of a month or two and then you have olympic scarring for the remainder of your city's existence

http://www.businessinsider.com/beijings-olympic-stadiums-are-wasting-away-2012-7

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: 2020 Olympics Vote - Tokyo to host 32nd Olympiad
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 06:48:35 AM »
Yup Olympic Villages suck.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »
Their economy is pretty good as of now.

For all they care with the massive urbanized city like Tokyo, it's hard enough with the number of residents living there, it would be more with (more)tourists roaming around.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 11:02:16 AM »
Their economy is pretty good as of now.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Zerviscos

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Well...yes. Compared to most countries in the East.
They're progressing real well since last year and it's most possible that their economy will continue to grow after 10 - 15 years of deflation.

And srz...Japan is G8.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
Well...yes. Compared to most countries in the East.
They're progressing real well since last year and it's most possible that their economy will continue to grow after 10 - 15 years of deflation.

And srz...Japan is G8.

That doesn't sound pretty good, that sounds more like 'marginally less shitty than other places'
Sugoiiii~

Zerviscos

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
That doesn't sound pretty good, that sounds more like 'marginally less shitty than other places'
Well...yes...
While I do agree that their strong banking hides their stagnant growth over the years, they still seem to be strong.

So I guess the whole 2020 Olympics are a chance for economic growth(if they still are that stagnated after 7 years).

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
Yeah, I thought Olympic host cities usually ended up losing money in the end. I remember speaking to a Japanese geology professor at Minnesota last time they had one of these votes, and she wasn't too fond of Tokyo hosting the Olympics precisely for that reason. Granted, that was also closer to the recent financial crisis, but I don't think that mentality would have changed much anyway.

All the same, this should still be interesting to see down the road. I'm looking into spending at least a year in Japan doing ESL work, and while I don't know for sure if I'll be there 6-7 years from now, I might get to see a few things start to pop up earlier on.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
Japan already has the highest debt in any SEA country combined, how is this 'good' for their economy is as above, nope.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:46 PM »
I think the last two cities to make money off of the summer Olympics were Los Angeles and Seoul. The truly unfortunate thing is that they'll have to build all new stadiums for these Olympics; the leftover ones from the 1964 games won't be big/nice/good enough to support the games.

Also, just a reminder that Neo-Tokyo was supposed to host the 2020 Olympics in Akira...

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »
Also, just a reminder that Neo-Tokyo was supposed to host the 2020 Olympics in Akira...

I can't imagine how many giggling japanese anime fans there are right now.
Sugoiiii~

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
Well...yes...
While I do agree that their strong banking hides their stagnant growth over the years, they still seem to be strong.

On the contrary, Japan has been in a recession since the mid-90s. "Stagnant growth" doesn't exist.

But even if Japan's economy were booming, like it was in the early-90s, when the bubble popped, Tokyo has a very high population density. Where do you house all these Olympics folks? How do you deal with the stresses in traffic? And when do you do with that big, empty, worthless stadium you had to build, once the Olympics are over?

Honestly I think the Olympics should die out. Let us instead have PoFV tournies.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »
Honestly I think the Olympics should die out. Let us instead have PoFV tournies.

That has occurred to me, yeah. :derp:

The Olympics don't need to go away, they can just support themselves with small Olympics conventions in individual cities. A PoFV tournament wouldn't take that big of a stadium...
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
Honestly, looking at the shortlist, it was amusing:

Tokyo is near Fukushima, which just a few days before the vote the Gov. admitted it was tens of times worse than they previously said.
Spain is to broke to host it. How can they host the Olympics when they're pretty much bankrupt anyway. How can they even bid?!
Turkey is pretty unequal about female rights and certainly would not approve of female athlete's outfits. They're also not exactly stable economically.

It felt like having a risky games, no games at all, or half a games with the females not allowed because it may offend the highly Muslim Turks, although idk their exact standing on females when it comes to sport, their PM a few years ago tried to remove a ban on headscarfs in places like schools, so...

Also I'm pretty sure 2012 wasn't bad financially. There was a huge economic effect in the UK due to it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 01:45:15 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 02:05:55 PM »
The USA won't let the Olympics go away until the USMNT becomes a legitimate World Cup contender. We need at least one giant international competition where we can stomp every other country's balls.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Tokyo is near Fukushima, which just a few days before the vote the Gov. admitted it was tens of times worse than they previously said.
If I recall, the Fukushima Daiichi plant is over 150 miles away from Tokyo. I don't know how much that qualifies as "near". Though I'll give you that Abe saying "the situation is under control" is complete BS, considering the government's recent assessments. I get the impression that if there is a direct radioactive threat to Tokyo, it's going to be irradiated seawater reaching the city (don't quote me on this, I have no knowledge of the typical ocean current patterns around Japan).

Also I'm pretty sure 2012 wasn't bad financially. There was a huge economic effect in the UK due to it.
One year is too short a time to judge the real impact on a host country. Any tourism boosts typically get overwhelmed by maintenance costs, impacted infrastructure, closed businesses, etc. in the years following an Olympics.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
150 miles in radiation spike and contaminated water speak is about as near as living next door to Chernobyl's disposal annex building. The Japanese have also this terrifying technology where they do some degree of desalination for drinkable seawater, that is good and all, when you need to support the hundreds of thousands of tourists aiming to come witness the games and subsequently the tons of hotel waste for this Island nation that lacks any and all natural resources, you are talking trouble. Know what should be a suitable bidder? China, but look they are already rotting the stadia so yeah and they already hosted before. It is the only Eastern nation that has the financial muscle and ability to not fuck up economically and infrastructural concerns and no shitbroken incapable companies running extremely volatile post-disaster recovery national utilities.

Tell me, what has Tokyo going for it? National pride? This is the equivalent of country kamikaze.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
Also, Turkey is a whole lot more European and secular than most people think. It helps to do a little reading on this, but the tl;dr version is it's probably more liberal than Greece, and certainly the most liberal in the region.

Edit: Here's a bit on what Turkish women actually wear. Spoiler: the same crap everyone wears in Europe.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:24:59 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »
Also, Turkey is a whole lot more European and secular than most people think. It helps to do a little reading on this, but the tl;dr version is it's probably more liberal than Greece, and certainly the most liberal in the region.

Edit: Here's a bit on what Turkish women actually wear. Spoiler: the same crap everyone wears in Europe.
You say this, but I must remind you: Muslims. </republican>