Author Topic: AWA 2013 Touhou Schedules  (Read 29427 times)

Re: AWA 2013 Touhou Schedules
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
There's a change in the setups. We've got 3-4 laptops, and it's BYOC. The machine will be available for free play.
Sorry to bother you, but to confirm, will we be allowed to bring our own keyboards? I'm as awful with a controller as I am with an arcade stick  :ohdear:

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 01:35:32 AM »
Sorry to bother you, but to confirm, will we be allowed to bring our own keyboards? I'm as awful with a controller as I am with an arcade stick  :ohdear:
Absolutely.

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 04:37:37 AM »

Ruka

• Lab Syndrome
  • "Even a failure produces valid results."
    • Ruka Sari Sari
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
Darn, you guys just had to schedule the tourneys on Sunday.  =<

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:21 PM »

good to see everyone coming
I will be there for photo shoot for sure
I will also have a table there
always open for commissions and lots of touhou give aways too
watch my stream and ask me about it
also, we will be selling the long waited new CD that was sold in C84
for those people who are waiting for commission I will trying to finish it today
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:06:41 AM by Freeze-Ex »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
Frikken hell it is almost there.

Though I'll have to wait for the post-AWA youtube movies.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »
Guys i think i was shocked and nervous.
can you please translate it for me?

Don`t tell me :o

Spoiler:
return of PC-98?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »
No, he was just incredibly surprised that he was asked about PC-98 games/characters in America.

Drake

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
Generally he's just surprised at the level of general knowledge of the series, considering the detail/obscurity of the questions being asked. Asking about unused characters likely isn't something he really expects from japanese fans, let alone english ones.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2013, 02:48:58 AM »
I really appreciate translations/updates on this. I'm very interested in how he's getting on.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »
No, he was just incredibly surprised that he was asked about PC-98 games/characters in America.

Basically everyone asked him about Mima and stuff and he gave his usual "I'm not going to say no, but no" response.

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2013, 06:28:03 AM »
Possibly critically important question: does anyone know if there will be mandated room clears between the various Saturday Touhou panels that might force one to prioritize which of the three they most want to attend on the chance that the forced clearout from one will effectively mean you don't get into the next by virtue of being in the back of the line?

I figure it's a pertinent question given that the line for ZUN's panel was full a little over an hour before it actually happened.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2013, 06:29:52 AM »
I got these from Tumblr so here we go.

Spoiler:
ZUN Q&A at Anime Weekend Atlanta, Sept. 26, 2013, 1900 EST???-
Notation as follows." " = exact translated words[ ] = my personal thoughts
Everything else will be approximations that fit the nature of the question.???-

[Today marks the day that ZUN interacts with the Western Touhou fandom. Needless to say, it was hard not to stare at the man that made Touhou possible.
Well, Q&A questions for now. Some of the questions will be approximations of the nature of the question. Some fans were overwhelmed to even ask something and stumbled on their choice of words. Myself included. Questions are from the fans. Answers are from ZUN with the help of an interpreter and written in 3rd person as part of a narrative. Unless there is a ? ? around the words, the answer is my best interpretation based on what the translator said. The transcript will be very rough, so please bear with me.]???
-Q: How are youkai chosen for the games?
A: Depends on the theme of the game.

Q: There is a rumor that the games will be available on Steam. Is it true? [This is my question as well a friend?s.]
A: ?There are talks.? There is no agreement and it is difficult to release something on Steam. It?s not just an okay and go thing.

Q: How much personal time do you devote to making the game?
A: It takes many months for ideas. It takes 4 months to make the games. It was also said that ZUN sleeps less during those times he makes the games and consumes more beer. We expected that to be the case.

Q: What is your inspiration for the music?
A: ?That is difficult to answer.? ZUN is influenced mainly by game music from the 80s-90s. More specifically, during the era when there was no voice acting in the games.

Q: What is your inspiration for the games? [The actual question was more convoluted.]
A: The games are based on ZUN?s personal experience from any time he was a kid, to something recent, etc.

Q: Have you tried the beer in America?
A: ?I have tried many beers. The beer in America is quite good. <However, the> meals are too big, <and the> beers, not big enough.?

Q: Will Rin Satsuki ever be added?
A: ?<ZUN pauses in confusion>?OH!? Basically, ZUN goes into saying that he had to cut her from Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil because there wasn?t enough time. [In other words, she?s gone forever it seems like.] ?You know a lot about these games, don?t you?? <laughs>

Q: Will there be another Phantasmagoria of Flower View type game again?
A: ?If the timing is right.? Basically, he says, ?needs inspiration?.

Q: What is your favorite JoJo line?
A: [I could not hear this one, nor was it translated.]

Q: It was said that you originally wanted to make a male character in UFO, will there be one?
A: ?Boys get in the way when making a game.? [I really didn?t quite understand this question.]

Q: What software do you use for music?
A: ?Roland SD 90.?

Q: What is your favorite Touhou fanwork? ?some of it anyway.
A: ZUN feels jealous whenever he finds fanwork that is really good. However, he doesn?t say anything in public <good or bad> because it would be problematic. [Fair enough.]

Q: Will midi/WAV files be released for future/current games like in previous games?
A: ZUN feels that midi is behind the times. They were originally added in the days when PC specs were lower. These days, it?s easier to just make the WAV files. But no, they will not be released separately again.

Q: Will you continue to make the games even if Touhou?s popularity decreases?
A: ?I can?t make anything but Touhou.? It?s not about popularity for ZUN. He just does it because he wants to. <huge clap from the audience>

Q: Are the PC-98 games separate canonically from the Windows series?
A: It?s the same world, and ZUN realizes there are contradictions. He then tells us to refer to the most recent games <for canon>.

Q: What is your favorite brand of beer?
A: ?I get this question a lot. It?s Kirin.?

Q: Was there a reason the Moriya Shrine didn?t appear in Hopeless Masquerade?
A: ?No particular reason.? They are still there.

Q: Which music are you most proud of?
A: ?I made a lot of music. You know that, right?? ZUN has no personal favorite. The newest one is the new favorite.

Q: Is there any date for localization?
A: There are no particular plans and nothing is in the works. ZUN did notice there were English patches out. [You caught us.]

Q: How do you come up with the insane bullet patterns?
A: ZUN makes the patterns visually then tries to make it ?flamboyant?. He personally tries the patterns repeatedly to see if he can clear it. If he doesn?t, he tones it down a bit and balances the danmaku that way.

Q: Are there any characters special to you?
A: ?Reimu Hakurei.?

Q: What are the challenges to independant game making?
A: <Indie> game makers don?t look at the past when making their own games. [My guess here is that some things in the past work. It?s up to the game maker to take what works and improve on it.]

Q: Where do you buy your hats?
A: ?A lot of places.? Flea markets, normal stores, etc. If he likes it, he buys it.

Q: Would you incorporate a fan character into Touhou canon?
A: ZUN doesn?t look at fan characters because he doesn?t want to be influenced by them.

Q: Do you have any advice to an aspiring game designer?
A: ?That?s a simple answer. Just do it.?

Q: How has Touhou changed or influenced you?
A: ?It?s my life work. It embodies me.?

Q: What are your feelings on returning old characters? [Meaning characters from pre-MoF and PC-98.]
A: ?I won?t say no. There?s your answer.?

Q: Have you ever thought about putting your music into other formats like bands or orchestra?
A: ?I don?t need to. The fans do it.?

Q: If you?re trapped in a hot springs with two of your characters, who would it be?
A: <ZUN thinks> ?I need to think about that.? <drinks some beer> [Marisa was mentioned, but the crowd got a little loud to hear the other answer.]

Epilogue from ZUN:ZUN didn?t know what to expect in America since there was no Touhou here. He was surprised to see a lot of cosplay (mostly male though) and an active fandom.?????

-ZUN is still scheduled for two more panels, one on Saturday and one Sunday. I will try to attend the Saturday one, seats willing. I can?t attend Sunday, so someone else will have to pick that up. In the meantime, ZUN will be casually attending the con and he encourages people to say hi to him when they see him.

Drake

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
Basically everyone asked him about Mima and stuff and he gave his usual "I'm not going to say no, but no" response.
cue people going utterly bonkers "OMG MIMA RETUNR" because they haven't heard this style of response before

oh wait it already happened

(Also the other hot springs character was Suika, if other sources are correct.)

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2013, 07:48:27 AM »
i will be definitely stick close to the Saturday panel and Sunday panel
dunno if i will make it to the seat tho ( i will all the back in the last panel
dat touhou army marching on the streets and mall is epic
and I will be rocking Touhou Song in the Karaoke in the food court at 7:45pm as a dedication of Touhou fandom  :flowerpower:
we need more touhou /jap song in the karaoke
PS: anyone who wants to look for / visit me can find me in artist alley tmr Sat

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »

That, and he got asked about Rin Satsuki, which seemed to throw him for the largest loop of the night.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
Still, its nice he cleared up why Rin didn't appear in EoSD.

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 02:23:48 PM »
Still, its nice he cleared up why Rin didn't appear in EoSD.
His answer happened to be exactly the same as what was previously believed, and as far as I know there weren't any competing theories on the matter. Not sure why this needed to be asked at all.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
His answer happened to be exactly the same as what was previously believed, and as far as I know there weren't any competing theories on the matter. Not sure why this needed to be asked at all.

The same reason we needed to ask if PC-98 was canon - because even though it was fairly intuitive people were divided on the matter.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
The same reason we needed to ask if PC-98 was canon - because even though it was fairly intuitive people were divided on the matter.
I don't care what ZUN says, PC98 is the only true canon in my heart.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
It's mostly to conclusively clear things up for the people that still had other doubts and theories for it.

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
And it let ZUN know that the western fanbase KNOWS.

It tickles me that ZUN wasn't aware of the size of the fanbase overseas for his 2 decade old series.

*Update: JP twitter getting a kick out of ZUN's picture with his doppelganger.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:07:03 PM by akj »

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
My current theory is that the Western fandom is more familiar with the PC-98 series because it's easier to pirate them. A law-abiding Japanese fan might find it difficult to obtain them given their age and whatnot, while the average Western fan is already in the mindset of downloading these things because there's no other practical way to get them. So what's "obscure" to the Japanese fandom is commonplace for the West. To put it positively, there's no such thing as an obscure game on the internet.

Is that a good or a bad thing? That's up to you, but if I were ZUN I wouldn't be impressed so much as confused. Recall that he also said just now that his favorite creations are his newest ones. I mean, presumably he wouldn't be making them if they weren't.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
And this came up as well.... I think that's a full circle.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
Edit: Drama llama. My bad. Irrelevant!

And this came up as well.... I think that's a full circle.
That was my first though as well! Translating and transcribing ZUN's interviews is an international pastime.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:42:15 PM by akj »

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
The windows series are more likely to be pirated because (generally) they're newer, look better, player better, sound better, easier to find, more popular, and are more compatible with modern systems.

Also, implying that JP fans are less familiar with it because the Japanese are law abiding angels, hah. You do realize that JP has a serious case of piracy as well right?
A law-abiding fan would find it difficult to buy the PC-98 games, along with a working PC-98 to run it, Japanese or otherwise, period.
You're also implying that the JP fanbase aren't as, or even more, rabid than the western fanbase, and doesn't go about playing his older games.
Wow you completely misread that. Almost astonishing, really. I did specify "law-abiding fan" didn't I? The point is that a Japanese geek probably has the opportunity to go to Comiket or just pick things up at a doujin shop, while a non-Japanese geek does not have this opportunity. Of course there are Japanese pirates and non-Japanese importers (or even people who visit Japan), but I'm talking about trends, not individuals. I never said anything about whether the newer games were pirated more or not either, I just said that possibly it's easier for a pirate to stumble across a PC-98 game than a non-pirate. This is all relative. Even I'm not under the illusion that PC-98 is more popular in the West than Windows.

More Japanese people happen to live in Japan. Shocking, I know.
Yes there is. In fact, plenty of ways, since the official games are so popular. Whether you're too cheap to do so is a whole different matter. While I don't disagree that tons of people pirate Touhou games, I think your theory here is a little too judgmental.
Are those practical? You yourself mention prices. There was another thread a while ago about some guy who randomly met ZUN in a bar and asked him about some stuff. When he mentioned the prices of importing ZUN was actually shocked, and didn't think they should ever cost more than X. Part of the availability of a product is how cheap it is. This is simple economics.

Now, yes, a devoted fan can pay extra to import things. I know I have and others as well. But I'm talking about trends, not individuals. Shockingly, Japanese people often live in Japan.

He's surprised because the games are so very, very old. And obscure. And aren't directly supported by modern machines.

So what the hell does this have to do with being in a foreign country? He's already surprised by the number of Touhou fans, why should the age of the product matter? it's not supported by modern machines, which is exactly my point. These games are old and obscure in Japan too. Older and Obscurer even, given that your average fan (trend, not individual) is slightly less likely to know how to find it. Would he be shocked if a Japanese fan asked him about this stuff? What difference does it make?

And your point about his favourite creations? He was referring to the music he created, not the games.
He was basically saying that he doesn't specifically have a favourite song, and he likes the recent ones more, because you know, they're newer.
He's not saying, "I hate my old game creations"!
He never said he hated the old music either. The implication is simply that working on something makes him attached to it. He spends time thinkign about it, improving it, whatever, and it ends up stuck in his head. He thinks about newer stuff more than old stuff. Shocking, I know.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:30:13 PM by Clarste »

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
Spoiler:
Regarding ZUN's answer to the PC-98 canon question, does his answer mean that PC-98 stuff can be considered canon unless contradicted by Windows canon? Example: PC-98 game says this which is contradicted in Windows canon making that line in the PC-98 game non-canon but if it is not contradicted, that line would be canon.

Or does he mean we should just ignore PC-98 lore for now?

Put in spoilers since I assume the Q/A was in spoilers for a reason.

Zil

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 01:34:41 AM »
I don't think there's any reason to put anything in spoilers.

There's almost no overlap between PC-98 and Windows game's plots to begin with, so the question doesn't really matter. ZUN's position seems to be that the more recent a game is, the more priority it has.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2013, 08:35:41 AM »
I apologize for the lack of live blogging or other updates during the con. Suffice to say we had our hands full this weekend and I haven't found the time to catch my breath, let alone write anything up. We will have a full article covering the various panels and stuff ASAP but for now anything that comes up is speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
only stay for the first panel for sat
never made it to the Gaming with Zun
I wish i could stay longer but needed to set up my booth
also i am so disappoint that i could make it for the yesterday karaoke
the wait list is full even though they only started for 2 hours
dont like how cons always have less time for the last day tho
but just realize the awesome touhou event we have for today tournament and swap meet
i can finally trade stuff away