Author Topic: AWA 2013 Touhou Schedules  (Read 29428 times)

Keine Kamishirasawa

• The Great Sealed Historian
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
AWA 2013 Touhou Schedules
« on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: AWA 2013 Touhou Schedules
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:50:28 AM »
PoFV on an arcade stick? There goes my interest in entering.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 04:04:54 AM »
I was really wondering who would make that sort of setup. Despite there probably being some people who play with a stick, the vast majority of Touhou players likely play with a keyboard, including with HM. We all know how HM stacks up as a fighting game anyways /shotsfired

I would really, really suggest suggesting to the planners to rethink that setup, or at least to include more options.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:08:13 AM »
Kids these days and their fangled keyboards.

In my day we had to put a quarter in the machine to play a game woth two buttons! Fifteen miles in the snow with no keystone!

Zil

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 04:30:24 AM »
AWA Touhou Festival: PoFV Tournament ? 11a-12p: [Official Description] Test your dodging skills in this split-screen danmaku game and dim the dreams of your friends and foes alike as you aim for the top! No bombs, Merlin only, Stage Sign「Final Destination」.
There are not even bombs in this game...

And why in the name of fuck is it Merlin only?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:35:43 AM »
zil pls

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:36:08 AM »
zil

zil

Zil

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 04:40:27 AM »
What. Don't tell me that description is really a complete joke and I just failed to realize it. <_<

Drake

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:05 AM »
then i won't

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »
zil

pls

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 04:44:40 AM »
pls

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:06 AM »
Okay, serious contribution time.

PoFV is far too delicate a game for arcade sticks and seeing them be the only option is highly likely to turn the vast majority of the potential participants off from joining. What Otakuthon's PoFV tournament did was have people list their preference for keyboard or controller (PS2) when signing up, and then the first round matchups were created to match as many keyboard people to controller people as possible to maximize preferred usage. If two people that had the same preferences faced off and neither of them volunteered for the other thing, they played rock-paper-scissors to determine who got what. I suggest something similar here.

Also, depending on time and participation, it may be best to have matches as best two-out-of-three, so the loser of a set has the option to change characters. Several of us have multiple characters we use and, as in any game where not all characters are equal, certain characters do better against certain characters and do worse against other certain characters. This is less important than the controls issue, though. (Worth noting is that Otakuthon used two laptops to move through matches faster.)

HM I can't speak for.

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 04:58:50 AM »
I get the feeling from the post that someone is being overly optimistic on the tournament times.  If they're looking to run the tournament on a single arcade machine, if they get any kind of tournout at all, they're going to run way over time.  A PoFV match between two players of near-equal skill is likely to run three rounds, and so you're looking at ~8min per match...using Hard as the difficulty.  Easy or Normal could easily go twice that.  If you get even 16 people entering, you'll never get out of round 1.

A better solution is going to be to have a bank of laptops, with controllers, similar to what we had at the Touhou party on Saturday of AB.  This will also have the added advantage of allowing players to use the settings that they are used to.  I'm certain that there will be enough attendees who will be willing to lend their laptops for a tournament.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:00:41 AM by Silentsword »
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Zil

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
Well now that we've established that I'm a buffoon let me try to contribute. ;~;

As Silentsword said, the tournament will never finish if it's done only one match at time. Best to get as many people playing at once as possible, and even then time could potentially be an issue depending on how many people enter and how skilled they are. My experience with netplay is that an average game on Lunatic can easily go 6 minutes. Or if the players are good enough, it can go 15 minutes or more. It's presumable that a tourney at a convention wouldn't get as many / as skilled players, so I could be overestimating the situation, but on the other hand, anyone using netplay has considerable latency holding them back, and players at the con wouldn't. I'm not sure what the difficulty setting for the matches is going to be, but whatever it starts at, I would strongly recommend increasing it as the rounds go on, so that at the very least the finals are set to Lunatic. I've never been to a tournament like this and I don't know what kinds of people show up, but if you get a couple of people who are accustomed to Lunatic playing each other on Hard or Normal then a single game could last an extremely long time. (And god forbid there be Cirno mirror.)

I'm also not too keen on the idea of players potentially being forced to use an input device they've no experience with, since that's basically a death sentence. Having USB keyboards so two keyboard players can fight each other would probably work.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
What do we do about two keyboard players who both use arrow keys and Shift-Z-X?

Zil

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
From what I can see...

In the game's custom.exe, you can select the control setups "keyboard: left" and "keyboard: right." (The idea appears to have been that two people could play the game with a single keyboard, though on a laptop that probably isn't possible because of the lack of number pad.) The left player gets shift, Z, and X, and apparently T, F, H, and B for movement. The right player gets the bottom three arrow keys instead of shift, Z, and X, and presumably moves with the number pad (nothing I press will make the character move and since my keyboard doesn't have a number pad, I'm assuming that's what it is).

The movement controls would be pretty unusable as they are, but you should be able to remap them (using AutoHotkey or something similar) to more natural positions. i.e. have the left player use G for down instead of B.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
An alternative possibility for the proposed case is to make both players play on a controller. While this leads to both players stuck with input mechanisms they do not prefer, I think having both players handicapped the same way is leagues better than having only one player handicapped.

An argument might be made here for making both players use arcade sticks because we're already giving neither player the input device they want, butcontrollers are still more precise for PoFV's purposes than a stick.

K+ ~ Bake-Danuki

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »
I wil destroy all with my unbeatable Kokoro combos!
But why no Hisoutensoku??  ;_;

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 01:34:29 AM »
I wil destroy all with my unbeatable Kokoro combos!
But why no Hisoutensoku??  ;_;
Because Melee sucks.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 03:37:29 AM »
Ah crap, quite a lot of Sunday stuff I'll have to miss. Schedule is good to have regardless.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 05:45:49 AM »
I wish I could join in for the HM tournament if I could actually attend this tournament. My Koishi would be quite a surprise :V

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:44 PM »

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 07:20:21 AM »
I'm very excited for the PoFV tournament even if having to use an arcade stick worries me a lot. I was the organizer of the Otakuthon PoFV tournament and it hurt me so much not being able to play. I'm hoping there's going to be good competition and I'm going to start training my lunatic matches back like when I was seriously competitive. It's been awhile since I've gotten to play with seriously good people so I'm ready for some awesome matches.

Also, I wonder how many machines there are going to be? Because one hour is not very long at all. I thought two was enough and we ended up running an hour over to three. Mind you, we were supposed to have four machines running so there was that.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
There's a change in the setups. We've got 3-4 laptops, and it's BYOC. The machine will be available for free play.

Mocking Morning

• Tonight We Stand In Circles!
  • DHS Danmaku Inspector
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151840657802649&l=5249cb4d2f

Flying in for AWA?

Will this work if I'm coming in by Amtrak? I'm going by train since I can ride it for the low cost of free.
How many times have you woken up and asked yourself: What the hell am I doing?
Today, your plane did not blow up thanks to the cooperation of Touhou Girls and TSA Officers.

K+ ~ Bake-Danuki

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »
Ugh have fun whoever's going.
I live here in Atlanta and I still can't go.  :(

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
This came to mind...
Is anyone actually planning to bring a speaker of sorts for dancing?
It'd be interesting to dance to things we don't usually do, like maybe Okuu's Nuclear Gym or Hakurei Shrine Neighborhood Association?

And if so, would we be doing this around photo shoot time or sometime else?
I like rain. Do you like rain?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
Given the low amount of time between the photoshoot and the fan panel, I would advise finding a different time for dancing. Otherwise the shoot could end up running overtime and people might not get a chance to eat lunch.

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »
Given the low amount of time between the photoshoot and the fan panel, I would advise finding a different time for dancing. Otherwise the shoot could end up running overtime and people might not get a chance to eat lunch.

That's true.
Anyone have ideas?
I like rain. Do you like rain?

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
So now that AWA schedule is released, when exactly is autograph session being held for 100 Willy Wonka tickets discussed from other thread? http://www.shrinemaiden.org/2013/08/19/awa-2013-zun-updates/ 

Also, can we get some idea on big the rooms are going to be and how many people can be seated?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:51:37 AM by Sedrife »