Author Topic: Post EVO Hype - Fighting Game General  (Read 145629 times)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
Re: Post EVO Hype - Fighting Game General
« Reply #570 on: February 04, 2016, 03:49:36 AM »
I was wondering why her forward smash couldn't be Tetsuzanko + Weave, but heard that her forward throw can kill at a reasonable percent.

Oh. That's where Tetsuzanko went. :V

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #571 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:56 AM »
Downloaded Nitroplus Blasterz last night, but it took so long to update my Playstation and download the game that I didn't really have time to play it. I played a handful of rounds but I was so tired that all I really did was stumble around and mash A. The default button layout makes no sense to me and the game seems to use five buttons which I'm not thrilled about. Probably going to main Phantom but I didn't learn much about how she works.
Bought it myself.  I didn't quite have much difficulty getting used to the button layout.  But someone needs to tell them that "SNK Bosses" are beyond behind the times.  On default difficulty, I only lost 1 round until the final boss of "Story Mode" (it really should have been called "Arcade Mode").  Then the final boss promptly curb stomped me.  After trying about ten times I said to hell with it, quit, and then set difficulty to minimum.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #572 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:57 AM »
Bought it myself.  I didn't quite have much difficulty getting used to the button layout.  But someone needs to tell them that "SNK Bosses" are beyond behind the times.  On default difficulty, I only lost 1 round until the final boss of "Story Mode" (it really should have been called "Arcade Mode").  Then the final boss promptly curb stomped me.  After trying about ten times I said to hell with it, quit, and then set difficulty to minimum.

I haven't played much more since my original post, but I have played some. The button layout thing isn't probably a general problem, it's probably just a me problem. I learned fighting games with four-button games and I've just never been able to wrap my head around where to put my fingers for anything else. I might be able to cheat around that limitation with creative button mapping if I sit down and figure it out, or maybe I just need to switch to a controller (from an arcade stick) for this game, but it's definitely a five-button game which really throws me personally for a loop.

And this may just be nobody knowing the mechanics yet, but I feel like this game is really, really slow-paced. The short combos are nice, but movement feels pretty slow too for most characters. That's not necessarily terrible or anything, but it's quite a shock after playing nothing but Blazblue recently.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #573 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »

I've beat her on my second attempt (on the japanese release, which was out on December 10th), saw what was killing me (the crystal pillars, occasional horizontal shots, occasional counterattacks, and learned about the unblockable lvl 3 black hole -- reminded me of King of Fighters '97's Orochi's Super Desperation Move's, and generally the way to dodge it was the same: to keep going back until it's over), and came with a plan that seems to increase my chances: to stay on the air (being on the air generally reduces combo potential, compared to being on the ground), to use assists (you can call assists while airborne) to score hits (and possibly convert them into combos) against the boss, and use long-range attacks while airborne (or occasionally punish the boss' recovery with invincible and/or fast attacks such as Variable Rushes and supers)

(for a little reference) this video shows that it's also possible to convert the boss' approach attempts into simple super combos, and to randomly punish her attempts to hit you from distance, while she's recovering from said attacks (although this video seemingly has lots of mistakes -- when you see the boss use her lvl 3, you don't go towards her.. lol -- and risky decisions that ended up working against the AI, such as the lethal blaze -- a.k.a. lvl 3 super -- at the end): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PEqQiOtWR8

this score attack video seems like a better reference (even though it's a different mode), showing that the boss doesn't use vanishing guard often and can be chip-damaged (and pressured, which gives you a bit of super meter if she blocks you correctly, at least): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAgmOopC3M

I haven't played much more since my original post, but I have played some. The button layout thing isn't probably a general problem, it's probably just a me problem. I learned fighting games with four-button games and I've just never been able to wrap my head around where to put my fingers for anything else. I might be able to cheat around that limitation with creative button mapping if I sit down and figure it out, or maybe I just need to switch to a controller (from an arcade stick) for this game, but it's definitely a five-button game which really throws me personally for a loop.

And this may just be nobody knowing the mechanics yet, but I feel like this game is really, really slow-paced. The short combos are nice, but movement feels pretty slow too for most characters. That's not necessarily terrible or anything, but it's quite a shock after playing nothing but Blazblue recently.

I use my thumb for the D button, index/middle/ring finger on A/B/C (respectively), and either index+middle or ring finger on E; for A+D (A assist), I use both index+thumb, and for B+D (B assist) I use either index+thumb (rotating my wrist a little) or middle+thumb; for A+B+C (infinite blast), I use index+middle+ring, for B+C (throws) I use index+middle (moving my wrist to the side a little), and for C+E (variable rush) I use index+thumb (moving my wrist), then use index (or index+middle) on the buttons I want to press

about the game's speed, I think that it's one more case of the game itself not being slow, but being commonly played slower than it allows to; see this video for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_djOnwbjY
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #574 on: February 09, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
Alex confirmed as first SF5 DLC.  Hyper Bomb <3

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #575 on: February 09, 2016, 10:09:41 PM »
Alex confirmed as first SF5 DLC.  Hyper Bomb <3
As well as PS3 controller legacy support.

100,000 fight money to get though. Each online win in the beta gives you 50 fight money iirc so it'll be the grind for players who want him free.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #576 on: February 10, 2016, 05:20:38 PM »
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- will be out in USA and EU in the same week.

Source

There's gotta be something off somewhere. I mean, Europe that early? What happened?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #577 on: February 12, 2016, 03:11:57 AM »
I use my thumb for the D button, index/middle/ring finger on A/B/C (respectively), and either index+middle or ring finger on E; for A+D (A assist), I use both index+thumb, and for B+D (B assist) I use either index+thumb (rotating my wrist a little) or middle+thumb; for A+B+C (infinite blast), I use index+middle+ring, for B+C (throws) I use index+middle (moving my wrist to the side a little), and for C+E (variable rush) I use index+thumb (moving my wrist), then use index (or index+middle) on the buttons I want to press

about the game's speed, I think that it's one more case of the game itself not being slow, but being commonly played slower than it allows to; see this video for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_djOnwbjY

That's how I put my hand too, although my stick has eight buttons. I have it wired like this:

XABC
DXXX

(The Xs are wired up, I just don't remember what they are because I never use them.)

I don't typically use shortcut buttons, if I want A+D or whatever I just press those buttons. I've tried mapping E all over the place, but wherever I put it I either reach for the wrong button when I need it or I get it right, but I don't put my hand back in the right place and fuck up all my other buttons. I could probably get around that with practice I guess, but it's pretty irritating.

As for the speed, fair enough. It seems a little zoney right now, but I think that's mostly just my choice of characters. And the rushdown characters do seem to have some strong tools, so I imagine it balances out. A lot of characters seem to have very slow ground speeds but command movement options which is a weird choice, but I guess it works.

(I only watched the first match of the linked video, but I don't know, it still seems pretty slow to me.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:15:09 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #578 on: February 12, 2016, 05:44:07 AM »
That's how I put my hand too, although my stick has eight buttons. I have it wired like this:

XABC
DXXX

(The Xs are wired up, I just don't remember what they are because I never use them.)

I don't typically use shortcut buttons, if I want A+D or whatever I just press those buttons. I've tried mapping E all over the place, but wherever I put it I either reach for the wrong button when I need it or I get it right, but I don't put my hand back in the right place and fuck up all my other buttons. I could probably get around that with practice I guess, but it's pretty irritating.

As for the speed, fair enough. It seems a little zoney right now, but I think that's mostly just my choice of characters. And the rushdown characters do seem to have some strong tools, so I imagine it balances out. A lot of characters seem to have very slow ground speeds but command movement options which is a weird choice, but I guess it works.

(I only watched the first match of the linked video, but I don't know, it still seems pretty slow to me.)

I use the default arcade layout

A B C -
D - E -

and I don't get how the movement could be considered slow (unless you're somehow not using dashes or steps, depending on character -- pressing forward or backward twice; can be done on the air too), the video had a very nice character variety (needs to watch past the first match though.. lots of characters were used) and demonstrated the game's speed well too..
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #579 on: February 17, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
A SFV is out...

... and it's godawful unless you do nothing but play online multiplayer, and the server feels like cooperating.

And even single-player requires an online connection at all times.  No arcade ladder.  Challenges are not currently available.  "Story Mode" is piss easy.  Survival is the only significant mode available for single player.  It's missing modes and Capcom already has a season pass for sale.  It looks like an unfinished beta. 

« Reply #580 on: February 17, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
That's because it is... They released the game about a full month early with only the features they consider complete and thoroughly tested so people have more time to practice for the Capcom Pro Tour.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #581 on: February 17, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »
It's basically either they release the game early and release single-player content later for free so people can practice for Capcom Pro Tour and EVO, or release it later and fuck up their own schedules enough to be forced to use USF4 once again for the year (which will probably mean delaying SF5 for another year).

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #582 on: February 28, 2016, 08:57:50 PM »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #583 on: March 31, 2016, 05:55:33 AM »
Y'all better get your fightsticks ready.

Because Melty Blood is coming to Steam on April 19th!

Better get my F-Miyako ready.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #584 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »
I was born ready.

I mean I still play the game from time to time. I hope the online will be good, it will be hard to top the caster.

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #585 on: March 31, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »
Yo hold

A Nasuverse work without the Fate name attached to it, and not only is it getting a western release, but an official translation? What wizardry is this?

But I'll be damned if I'm not buying that!

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
A Nasuverse work without the Fate name attached to it, and not only is it getting a western release, but an official translation? What wizardry is this?
...That hurt more than I thought it would.

(When is Tsukihime Remake, please? :'c )

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #588 on: April 23, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
this is why chipdeath needs to be a thing.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #589 on: April 23, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
this is why chipdeath needs to be a thing.
Nah I think this was great patience from LI Joe and he got rewarded for it. Moons should've kept the meter for the chip death (though it probably would've made the pressure much harder to do).

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #590 on: June 10, 2016, 05:53:02 AM »
Injustice 2 Announced
Coming 2017

Wouldn't be surprised if more details come out at E3.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #591 on: June 13, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
Gameplay Trailer

Confirmed (so far):
Batman
Superman
The Flash
Aquaman
Supergirl
Atrocitus
Gorilla Grodd

edit- Black Manta is actually in a stage transition...  Probably not a playable character.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 07:45:45 AM by Aya Reiko »

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #592 on: June 13, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
BlazBlue Central Fiction just got a release date for the console version in Japan.

October 6th, 2016

So I am guessing April/May 2017 for US, and twelve years later for Europe.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2016, 12:14:47 AM »
Guess who's joining the Dead or Alive 5: Last Round roster in the fall...

Yo!  Nippon Ichi!

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2016, 02:13:09 AM »
Evo is coming up this weekend and it's gonna be exciting. Hanging out with buddies, participating in Sm4sh, and gonna try to host and stream a Catherine tournament

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2016, 09:50:25 AM »
I'll have a fun all-nighter on Sunday so I can watch Melee.

I believe in the 3VO.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #596 on: July 12, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
I'm mostly gonna be watching for Xrd, but I'll probably watch a bit of the new games to see if they hold my interest.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
Ready to get rekt in sm4sh

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2016, 06:39:27 PM »
There's a Medicine Melancholy cosplayer sitting in the front row on srkevo1.

My day is made now. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.