Author Topic: Do you think everyone can get good at Touhou/SHMUPS?  (Read 9267 times)

Exxelent_

• The worst of the worst.
Re: Do you think everyone can get good at Touhou/SHMUPS?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
For myself, learning how to play Touhou and the frustration that so often comes with it was lessened because I was having a blast doing it. Hours would go by and I didn't realize it more often than not because I was too busy talking about how much I like dodging Futo's second card, or how silly Youmu's stage six midboss attack was in that it had the slowdown effect but didn't actually slow down the card. How you approach the games and what you take out of it for all those hours you put in are completely up to you of course, but the most important thing of all is to want to take something away from your time spent. If you feel like you're not getting anything out of your practice and that the only thing that matters is the goal, especially when you first start playing could be a big wall in front of your improvement. Anyone who can get around that mindset could easily improve and "get good".

Then again, my experience is limited to about a year of STGs.

Re: Do you think everyone can get good at Touhou/SHMUPS?
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
I like to think all you really need is a genuine willingness to learn. Just playing probably doesn't help if you aren't even expecting to get better. For me, seeing progress in my skills, even really minor, was a great motivator to keep playing and keep improving at it.

I also think that being around better players helps a lot. "If that guy can do it, why couldn't I?" It really helps to know that your goals aren't in any way unreasonable and that several other people have already achieved them.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN