Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project  (Read 466892 times)

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
  • I feed on your tears...
Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:23 PM »
So, because it's more useful to have both gameplay and translation separated, here is our thread!

This will be used for progress and sharing our files, testing, bug report, translation suggestions and references.

Update after a very long time:
Current patch for LoT2 Plus Disk

For questions, comments and overall bragging about the game itself, see the current thread

English Wiki
Japanese Wiki
Developper's Website
References and translation document
/
Older patchs
(1.130) Contains basic menu and battle options translated http://www.mediafire.com/?q5ul571cp0yoxr3
(1.141) Added items, bestiary, achievements, skills and spell names http://www.mediafire.com/?18nstuwpc91ew69 (some menu stuff is still untranslated, spelling mistakes, hex lines errors and missing names are present, this is a test patch)
(1.141): Added system messages, more item description, dialogues for some of the game mechanics http://www.mediafire.com/?99t12rwon6fs2na
(1.151): Mostly fixes, new menu options and achievements. http://www.mediafire.com/?qg5ze3umb27b2jb

Current patch
(1.203): https://www.mediafire.com/?ov09hclzlu69bn5. Full english translation, and image dxa are included in it (Updated 20/09/14)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:01:45 AM by Kuilfrayt »
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

Now working with Touhou-Online in French

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 2 Translation Project
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »
Qaz, could you share the current string dump with all the translation you've put in already? Just so all of us doing the translation can have everything up to date, it's going to be a bit easier I think to have everything streamlined the same and keep the same format for the way things are written.
I stared into the abyss, and the abyss didn't stare back. Even the void doesn't want to be my friend :(

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?b0e1ka46l49r0u2        (9/09/2013)

Here is the current batch of translation files. I'll edit this post as necessary to update the batch, e.g. when 3peso releases a new official patch. I'm open to suggestions for proper collaboration, although I think setting up a svn/git repo is overkill, while dropbox lacks the diffs (I think).

strdump.txt is a complete text dump. Nothing should be missing from this, but if you find something in game please transcribe it and I'll try to track it down. I've removed the filtration that was causing problems... which means it's now even more of a mess.
strdump_current.txt is the complete text dump with all of the translations, all in one place.
Translation_From_LoT1.txt is all of the perfectly matching translations from LoT1. Anything in here should be used again in LoT1 for stuff like item names and all (The main exception is "うふふ", which should be "Ufufu", because Ufufu is the best)
All of the other text files are purely translations. The names should be more or less self explanatory.

The format of these files is simple:
(8 bytes address): <text>
The colon and space are mandatory, just in case I want to add any other fancy stuff to the format. Any line that does not follow that pattern will be ignored. You can use this to add comments if you like, but right now these will not carry over when I port the files to a new patch.

To translate stuff, find the Japanese in the string dump and copy the address. Paste the address with the translation into a new file or as an edit to an existing translation file. Please do not try to edit the string dump directly, that's just too messy. There is no need to keep the lines in order, nor to copy over anything from the stringdump you do not intend to translate.

All files must be saved as ANSI. They absolutely cannot contain any fancy characters outside of Shift-JIS. For example, word's angled quotation marks, apostrophes, and long hyphens. They will show up in game as random Japanese. An example. Japanese is fine, but it's usually a good idea to not mix half-width roman characters with full-width Japanese characters. It can potentially break things.

The only files with special formatting are the dialogue files. Most lines will contain a @. This is a linebreak and will drop the text down to the next line. Do not put any spaces after this character - before is fine if you want it for readability. There is no manual wordwrapping. Treat them the same as any other linebreak - if you need to drop down to a new line, do so, even if the sentence continues in the original and you aren't at the end.

Lines with stuff like "%d" or "%s" are using character substitution. If you need to add a literal %, type in "%%". Please make absolutely certain that you do not change the total number of unpaired percent signs in these lines. "Adds %d% to some stat" will not have the expected results. Instead use "Adds %d%% to some stat"

Please document any and all changes to the translation in the spreadsheet linked in the OP. This is to help maintain consistency with the translation and to make it easier to find and change them in the future if necessary. References should also be mentioned in the spreadsheet for the same reasons. Also, whenever possible, keep translations consistent with the first game. For example, "マエリベリー・ハーン" should be left as "Maribel Han", since that's what she was in the first game (and this is not changing unless ZUN himself explicitly spells out how to romanize her stupid name).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:54:39 AM by qazmlpok »

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:30:17 AM »
Reserved in case I need to put something here.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:22:36 AM »
A few lines I would like someone to help me with:

更にこのスペルで何らかの状態異常が回復したキャラのみ、HPが大きく回復する。
麻痺と鈍重についてはあくまで確率での治癒なので、過信すると痛い目を見る事も。
This is part of Mystia's Mysterious Song, I've translated them as
(Spell that cures all allies from SIL, and has a chance to cure PAR and HVY.) (not put on japanese because I'm pretty sure of this one)
In addition, if a character was cured of those 2 ailments, the spell will also heal the target.
Since it will only heal when curing PAR and HVY, don't put too much confidence in it.

I think I've translated right, but I haven't been able to make the spell heal any character, no matter what debuffs were removed.

風神録でも披露した、椛の代名詞「の」の字弾幕。
Part of Momiji's Expellee's Canaan

全体攻撃で高威力、低遅延と三点揃った物理スペル。
PHYS spell that targets all enemies, becomes complete with its three point low delay (?)
Second part doesn't make much sense to me.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »

Even more, any character whose ailments are removed with this spell are also healed greatly.
Since it only has a chance to cure PAR and HVY, over-relying on it will hurt you.

風神録でも披露した、椛の代名詞「の」の字弾幕。

Momiji's signature "No"-shaped danmaku, appearing since Mountain of Faith.

全体攻撃で高威力、低遅延と三点揃った物理スペル。
A physical spell that combines the holy trinity of all-targetting, high power, and low delay.

http://ejje.weblio.jp/ <- This is a website that will be of great help to you, most likely.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:32:34 AM by RegalStar »

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:44:32 AM »

Even more, any character whose ailments are removed with this spell are also healed greatly.
Since it only has a chance to cure PAR and HVY, over-relying on it will hurt you.

風神録でも披露した、椛の代名詞「の」の字弾幕。

Momiji's signature "No"-shaped danmaku, appearing since Mountain of Faith.

全体攻撃で高威力、低遅延と三点揃った物理スペル。
A physical spell that combines the holy trinity of all-targetting, high power, and low delay.

http://ejje.weblio.jp/ <- This is a website that will be of great help to you, most likely.
So I guess the first one just doesn't work in game, cause it never healed anything

The No-shaped one was confusing me a lot... I can't believe I missed the Mountain of Faith ugh

I'm trying to use an online dictionnary for most of the kanjis I never saw, but some of them just boggle me when I cant find them >.<

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:48:27 AM »
When I do the spell translation, I tend to go with what's written directly, even if there are errors (as in, the spell is Single target, but the description says multi-target). I don't change it, but would it be better for me to test them all and make sure I have the right effect/target/attributes/etc.?

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »
For documentation purposes, it would be good to have the accurate information, although LoT1 handled it by keeping all the mistakes in (and simply correcting them in the translation notes. See Megawatt Linear Railgun, Ghastly Dream, and a couple of others I forgot about).

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 03:33:18 AM »
When I do the spell translation, I tend to go with what's written directly, even if there are errors (as in, the spell is Single target, but the description says multi-target). I don't change it, but would it be better for me to test them all and make sure I have the right effect/target/attributes/etc.?

Keep it as-is and mark it on the spreadsheet.

If 3peso changes the text, the translated line will be lost to the ether when I run the update. If he changes the ability to match the text, then the translation becomes accurate. Seems better this way than the other.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »
On the spreadsheet, you posted the character limit for description (which I assume extends to spells and skills). I'll try to adjust them all to fit it before sending you the spell file, but I was wondering: Is it possible to use breaks (@) to add lines and bypass the character limit or will that cause problems in formatting?

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
On the spreadsheet, you posted the character limit for description (which I assume extends to spells and skills). I'll try to adjust them all to fit it before sending you the spell file, but I was wondering: Is it possible to use breaks (@) to add lines and bypass the character limit or will that cause problems in formatting?

@ will only work for dialogue. Also that's the character limit for achievements, which takes up the entire bottom of the screen. It's not going to work for anything else.

Achievements are split into two entries. It works like some of the Gensokyo menu stuff, for example:

0084C584: enhance characters' parameters here.
0084C5B4: Use up money to

So to go down to a new line, you need to just shift text into a new entry. Everything except the actual dialogue probably works this way - if you don't see an @ anywhere around the text, presume it doesn't support it.

At this point it's better to just translate without too much concern for the space limitations. I may be able to add lines to the text, but what needs to be done for that isn't going to persist across patches, so I'm not doing anything until the game is more stable. If something doesn't fit, just translate it anyway and I'll worry about it later.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
If I want to put normal apostrophes ('), do I have to do (\') instead? That's how it is in the Translation from LoT1 you included

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
No. The LoT1 translation has a lot more fancy stuff, which is why the backslashes are necessary. I don't think I'll need to add any of that, so there's no need to escape anything.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »
The last 1/2 lines left for spells: This is Sakuya's Killing Doll
007CDA40: 驚異的なダメージ倍率を誇る為、お膳立てしてやる事でケタ違いのダメージが飛び出す事も。
007CDA0C: 普通に撃つとそれなりのダメージしか出ない。

Boasts phenomenal damage scaling factor, お膳立てしてやる事でケタ違いのダメージが飛び出す事も。
Normally, the attack will do moderate damage.

I just can't get the meaning right for the last part

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ctcabal797e1gd4
Here's the classes name in the mean time, I forgot to post it earlier.

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
My take:

"With preparation, the damage is on a whole other level, and it boasts phenomenal damage scaling.
Otherwise, it does moderate damage."

A more direct translation of the part you left untranslated:

"When preparations are made, the damage is of a whole new order of magnitude."

I'm not familiar with the game, so I'm not sure if its relevant, but the word(s) they used for 'preparations' can literally translate as 'setting the table.'  I assumed it was just a play on the character being Sakuya, but mentioned because it might be relevant for gameplay reasons I am unaware of.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:35 AM »
Alright, thanks for that.
Here are the character's spell: http://www.mediafire.com/?afz3ojyd6c5zdev

I'll work on the rest of the achievement (the flavor text that appears when you obtain the achievement)

Other than that, what else is left to do? Regalstar is working on item, there's still the bestiary to do, anything else?

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 02:09:33 AM »
There's the entirety of the dialogue, but that comes last.

Let's see. There's still a bit of stray text missing in Keine's school. The level down text was missing - hopefully it's in the stringdump now.

I don't think all of the enemy skills actually got translated. From my experience with LoT1, that's a gigantic pain in the ass to test, so I'll see if I can get a string dump like with dialogue.

I have a partial translation for the item names in a spreadsheet, but I believe it was missing a bunch of stuff. One entry mentioned waiting for the upcoming rune factory release to properly catch a reference, so I guess that just has to wait.

Beyond that, I honestly can't think of anything. Although I'm not playing the game, so I could be forgetting something really obvious.

Oh yeah. The new menu option that was added in 1.130. I think to turn off the dungeon special effects. That's not translated.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:12:01 AM by qazmlpok »

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »
Also, I was curious, did you find where some of the missing names are? Like Wriggle Nightbug, Alice Margatroid, Reisen Udongein Inaba, etc. that only have their first name with all the rest of the cast, but not their full names?

A few lines that were not translated (because of the small kana or that I made mistake when giving them to you)
007C9268: Leveling up the spell will increase the amount of ailments it can cure.
007D34D4: Sutra Scroll - Sturm und Drang
007D5B58: If the skill holder is on the rightmost side position and they are 4 members on the front line, (did a mistake on that one, I forgot the space after the ":", woops...)
007D6D3C: Leveling up the skill will double the amount of MP recovered.
007D6EEC: The amount recovered is equal to the HP Recovery Rate, and you will recover HP twice as fast in the reserve party. (forgot the space again)

Floor name, opened for suggestions
16F 思考の檻の中で朽ち果てた老人の黒森: The Aged Dark Forest Decaying in a Cage of Thoughts

Since they weren't in the translated text dump, I'll repost, just in case, the floor names Regal did, with some colour differences + the TP message from the 10F thread
http://www.mediafire.com/?wm4m186x80zk2ln

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »
Yes. The missing names had the same problem as the compressed kana. I removed the filter and put the proper names in myself.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 12:31:43 AM »
http://pastebin.com/YGurFFun    special_items.txt

Taken from an earlier spreadsheet that I forgot about. This isn't fully translated; there's some stuff at the end that is missing.

Some things:

007E0614: It looks a lot like the Eight-Eyed Eel's meat.
007E0650: Meat obtained from defeating the Eight-Eyed Serpent.

I assume that's the same word, translated as both "Eel" and "Serpent".

Also, regarding "属性" and "状態":

属性 appears to return to the stat that reduces damage taken from the appropriate type, e.g. FIR, WND, CLD, PHYS, etc
状態 appears to reduce the effectiveness of status effects.

(Correct me if I'm wrong on either of those)

属性 was translated as "Affinity", e.g.  the "LOVE Machine 3322" item gives "FIR Aff+128"
状態 was translated as "[Status] Resistance", e.g. the "Phial of Galadriel" item includes "All Status Res+6".

This file currently has them as "Resistance" and "Status", as part of the boost skills. It looks to me like it should be "Affinity boost" for "属性ブースト" and "Resistance boost" for "状態ブースト"
Unless I'm mistaken, this will probably also need to be addressed elsewhere in the files. I've already added it to the Terminology sheet.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 12:58:45 AM »
Yea, I was using RES Boost (or attribute) for the affinity, and Status Boost for ailments, but that's because I didn't really know what they were using on the first game.
On the spells, I haven't use Attribute/Affinity/Resistances on the first line (where it was saying "Target:X属性") so it shouldn't be too much of a problem there, and I don't think I used those words in the description either (but you can do a quick search check just to be sure). I was using ailments pretty much consistently when they had an effect in the spell description, as well as "lowers/reduces" when talking about stat debuffs

For the special item, it's not the same name, it's a play on words. It's an item that comes from the FOE Eight-eyed Serpent, and you give it to Mystia to recruit her. But Mystia has a grilled lamprey stand (lamprey = eel), so the item description is basically the characters saying, "well this looks like an eel meat, i'm sure it could pass as one"

007E0458: Since Wriggle became like this, we can assume that
007DEA08: Direct exposure to this is extremely dangerous to both humans and Youkai. (this is the follow-up in for that item, it was already translated)

007DFAE8: It was left inside the hellfire, but it looks barely damaged, probably because it had virtually no substance to start with.
(it's for Byakuren's Scroll #3)

007DFA78: Monsters were carrying it and playing around with it, but only Byakuren knows how to use this scroll
007DFA20: Even if we stole it, only 「光る綺麗な旗」would have a use for it (don't know what the expression is bracket is)
(for Byakuren's Scroll #4)

Just checked my character's spell that I gave you,
007CBFF8: against the enemy's MND. It can also inflict SIL and lower ATK and DEF
Has a . in front of the hex number, you'll need to correc it
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:19:48 AM by kuilfrayt »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »
Nice going~ Hope to see more progress, and I'm cheering you all on!

Anyways, in dungeons on my computer, the "Encounter" text goes off the screen, and the right side of the screen had some stuff cut off in general.

Just to let you know. It might be something that's only present on MacOSX using Wine 1.7.0 (I have yet to test other versions) [font issues are the most common issues when running windows games on mac]

Edit: 光る綺麗な旗
Hikaru kireena hate
Light (verb), clean (adj), flag (noun)
So I guess it'd be something along the lines of a Flag of pure light.

Edit: Also, you're keeping patch version numbers, right? So people will know if their patch is outdated/which patch to revert to if it breaks something.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:19:57 AM by Sparen »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 02:24:48 AM »
There has only been 1 patch release so far so numbering it is not really an issue =P.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 02:48:52 AM »
Edit: Also, you're keeping patch version numbers, right? So people will know if their patch is outdated/which patch to revert to if it breaks something.

In my experience with LoT1, once the majority of people have a version that "works, mostly", they'll stop upgrading. So ideally, there will be a single release after the one that's already out there and hopefully no need for bug fixes.

If I do need bug fixes... well, I actually didn't ever version the English patches for LoT1, despite releasing several of those. I suppose I will if I have to put out a second patch for the same official version or something.

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 02:56:36 AM »
Nice going~ Hope to see more progress, and I'm cheering you all on!

Anyways, in dungeons on my computer, the "Encounter" text goes off the screen, and the right side of the screen had some stuff cut off in general.

Just to let you know. It might be something that's only present on MacOSX using Wine 1.7.0 (I have yet to test other versions) [font issues are the most common issues when running windows games on mac]

Edit: 光る綺麗な旗
Hikaru kireena hate
Light (verb), clean (adj), flag (noun)
So I guess it'd be something along the lines of a Flag of pure light.

Encounter going off the screen is not us doing that, that's in the japanese version
The rest of the stuff going off the screen was not a concern when releasing the first patch

光る綺麗な旗, I know how it directly translates but, it doesn't mean anything, it has no meaning in the sentence, at least, not that I can see. It's most likely a reference to another game or a character, but I don't know what it could be.

Edit: Btw, for "To the x floor", I saw that we put the number of the floor full length. Wouldn't it be easier to use its numerical value instead? (since we have a limit of characters for them and with the center east north etc. stuff, we go over the limit)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:29:49 AM by kuilfrayt »

dawnbomb

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 05:44:03 AM »
In my experience with LoT1, once the majority of people have a version that "works, mostly", they'll stop upgrading. So ideally, there will be a single release after the one that's already out there and hopefully no need for bug fixes.

If I do need bug fixes... well, I actually didn't ever version the English patches for LoT1, despite releasing several of those. I suppose I will if I have to put out a second patch for the same official version or something.

you will defiantly upgrade here as you can't even access the last 2 floors of the game yet, and some other things are missing that are gonna be patched in. unless of course you  don't want to finish the game
There's no way I could love anyone
but i wish to be loved by someone in return

Kuilfrayt

• 月には叢雲 華には風と
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
Last menu options:

0084E134: Browse the achievements earned so far
今までに獲得した冒険実績を閲覧する
0084E160: View data on enemies encountered so far
今までに遭遇した敵の情報を閲覧する
0084E18C: Achievement List
冒険実績一覧
0084E19C: Enemy List
敵図鑑の閲覧
0084E1AC: Set out on an adventure
冒険に出発する

0084D7F0: PHYS Increase
物耐性強化
0084D800: DRK Increase
冥耐性強化
0084D810: SPI Increase
霊耐性強化
0084D820: MYS Increase
魔耐性強化
0084D830: NTR Increase
然耐性強化
0084D840: WND Increase
風耐性強化
0084D850: CLD Increase
冷耐性強化
0084D860: FIR Increase
炎耐性強化
0084D870: SPD Increase
敏捷強化
0084D87C: MND Increase
精神強化
0084D888: MAG Increase
魔力強化
0084D894: DEF Increase
防御強化
0084D8A0: ATK Increase
攻撃強化
0084D8AC: HP Increase
HP強化

The increase things are for the Magic Library, if it doesn't fit, we can always go with just the name of the stat.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
My experience of translation patching which is limited to just tpwEvo was that people always update either the game or the patch but never both and then they bish how the patch doesn't work despite me stickying that, making a readme say such, and i dont even remember how many redundancies i had for that issue. Yarrrggg.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 11:17:41 PM »
http://pastebin.com/F5TFaRBh

Well, here's... uh, something. It was supposed to just be a dump of all enemy attacks. Except it also got character names, probably including the random enemy names, and also status effects.

In any event, it's probably stuff that needs to be translated, so maybe this will be helpful. Whatever it is, it isn't complete. 620 lines couldn't be captured easily and thus were omitted. Still better than nothing, probably.

I'll make an effort to go over some of the translations I have over the weekend and proofread them, make stuff that doesn't fit fit, and re-word stuff if I feel it's necessary. I'll add anything I change/plan on changing to the localizations sheet.