Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest #10 - Youkai Exterminator Extermination! (POST PHOTO PRIZES!)  (Read 70222 times)

Re: Danmakufu Contest #10 - Youkai Exterminator Extermination!
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
Hm, I see. Thanks :)
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »
In privacy settings you can enable/disable "Show my past broadcasts". Although if you're not a twitch partner ($$$-paying member) your recordings are only stored for a short while.
You can tell twitch to save your recordings forever even if you are not a twitch partner. The thing is, you have to TELL it to save.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2013, 11:20:32 PM »
You can tell twitch to save your recordings forever even if you are not a twitch partner. The thing is, you have to TELL it to save.
Also, if you highlight anything from a broadcast twitch will save that broadcast forever as the highlight is just a section of the broadcast.  Partners also have to tell twitch to save broadcasts, it's a new change in their infrastructure that makes it not by default (5 days ago in fact).

Drake

« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2013, 02:35:31 AM »
I've uploaded the raw stream footage to Youtube: (yes it's four hours long I will timestamp entries shortly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsgZHou_Q38

Note that my first impressions aren't necessarily reflective of your final score.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:44:30 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
Oh, something I wanted to clear up but forgot to during the stream. Drake, you said that my explosion effect was Azure's (or at least that's what it sounded like you said) but in reality I modeled mine after Magical Singular Day's explosion effect (which kyuu did as well IIRC). I'm not even sure what explosion effect you were thinking of, I may never have even seen it. Just wanted to make that known.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:12:12 AM by Ozzy »

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
Oh, something I wanted to clear up but forgot to during the stream. Drake, you said that my explosion effect was Azure's (or at least that's what it sounded like you said) but in reality I modeled mine after Magical Singular Day's explosion effect (which kyuu did as well IIRC). I'm not even sure what explosion effect you were thinking of, I may never have even seen it. Just wanted to make that known.
I actually think the same thing when I see your explosion effects. It's probably because I have played Azure's game and not MSD, but the explosion effect do look like the explosion from Azure's game.

You can find it in the "co-mechanics of RikaNitori" thread.

Gusano Wornis

• Member of Team Mystique
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »
waiting for the results :B

BTW, why Victini deleted his projects from bulletforge? there is only sakuya on the page :0

another BTW, Can i enter LOCAA? i have a Skype account...
carrying dead weight since 2015~

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »
Victini: Huh? He deleted Grovyle, Giratina, and Hatate?

LOCAA: I'm sparenofiria. Please add me first.

Also, I'm posting my 11th RaNGE 10 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuFwlOKtLQs&feature=youtu.be

Maths ~Angelic Version~

• Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
Victini: Huh? He deleted Grovyle, Giratina, and Hatate?
Yes, it seems that he did.

I'm getting impatient to see the results of the competition. Drake, thanks for uploading the live stream.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:24 AM »
I'm getting impatient to see the results of the competition.
I know, I'm getting anxious to see where I placed!

« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
After taking a look at different videos of contest entries, I'm kind of interested in the results now. Let's see if the script I liked gets the 1st place or not.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #191 on: September 27, 2013, 01:05:35 AM »
To people whose scripts I have played through and uploaded: If you would like me to link your channel to the script, PM me with a link to your channel.

Talos, Ozzy, and Naut have had their channels linked automatically since I had already subscribed to those three.

Edit: Added Darkness1's channel link
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:26:34 AM by Sparen »

Drake

« Reply #192 on: September 27, 2013, 02:28:08 AM »
I should say sorry that I've been taking so long guys, I've been very, very busy lately. Actually, I'm still pretty busy, but in any case I'm trying to finish the judgments today.

« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
Just for fun I gave Marisa's spellcard her own minigame because everyone loves Master Sparks

Let's see how long you can last

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
I have completed uploading videos of every script EXCEPT for the following:

Lucas (not CK Crash): Because I don't know if he's actually participating or now
Suikama: Because it's not Danmakufu, and because I know that attempting a live run will result in failure.

Maths ~Angelic Version~

• Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
Just for fun I gave Marisa's spellcard her own minigame because everyone loves Master Sparks

Funny~
Who is the player character anyway?

Zil

« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »

Literally the best thing to result from the whole contest. Best time so far is 78 seconds. Hoping for at least 100.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »
Any news on the judging? It's been almost a month already.

Formless God

« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »
Yo, it shouldn't take more time to play them than to make them.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
Yo, it shouldn't take more time to play them than to make them.
Well, technically there is more to it than just playing, mind you. Though it has been past quite some time. I shall summon my gungnir to seek out who is responsible for this delay.

KuroArashi100

« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »
I shall summon my gungnir to seek out who is responsible for this delay.

To get hit by a "No"? :V

But it has been some time, I'm quite curious too to see who won.
And how I scored myself of course, but I mostly uploaded it to see how good my scripting skills are, my script's quality is pretty bad IMO.
It is just my first (publicly) released script, and I'm curious how it will fare against the other scripts.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
And how I scored myself of course, but I mostly uploaded it to see how good my scripting skills are, my script's quality is pretty bad IMO.
It is just my first (publicly) released script, and I'm curious how it will fare against the other scripts.
If it's your first script, you shouldn't judge your script too hard. Especially since your script was really good as a first-released-script. (I reccomend that you try ph3 though, it's more fun/flexible.)

Now, can we bet on who's going to win? :V
Spoiler:
All-in on Thaws
[/size]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:16:19 PM by Darkness1 »

KuroArashi100

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Thanks! But me trying to drag myself down is both a (bad) habit and how I try to improve; it is easier to see things that should be improved when specifically look for bad points. (It is easy to run into Youmu in the second spellcard, a lot of effects are missing, the death animation is far too long etc.)

And I've been trying to make a magic circle and effects, but Photoshop won't align the circles correctly. The circle seems to move when spinning in-game.

And ph3 looks really different. And my computer has some trouble running it, so while I want to start scripting in ph3, the current lack of tutorials and the massive amount of functions kind of scares me off.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2013, 09:41:15 PM »
Don't be scared of ph3. Get used to tasking in 0.12m, then move on.

Spoiler:
And personally, I think Talos and Shadow did good jobs, though Shadow's script was sort of... difficult.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2013, 04:10:42 AM »
And ph3 looks really different. And my computer has some trouble running it, so while I want to start scripting in ph3, the current lack of tutorials and the massive amount of functions kind of scares me off.
Even though it looks different, it shouldn't be that hard to use, especially if you already know how danmakufu (0.12m) works. The biggest change in scripting in ph3 is pretty much the use of events and system scripts. Other than that, I think it's actually simpler to use.
Yes, there is a lack of tutorials, but I think the tutorials on danmakufu wiki are decent for learning the basics of ph3 scripting. Other than that, there's always the ask thread. :P
Strange that ph3 doesn't work well on your computer while 0.12m does. Is there any specific system requirement that ph3 has or can it be something wrong with your config files?

Drake

« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2013, 06:52:45 AM »
HERE COMES THE JUDGE
stolen from erppo

Results:

WHAT?!??
The gap to first is so tight that with only two judges, they might as well be the same score! For this reason:

Victory goes to both TalosMistake and Lucas! Congratulations!
In second place we have Naut!
In third place, Sparen!

In case the graph/scores need more explanation, the scores each judge gave are listed in their columns. The final score for that entry is their mean, after each score is normalized so that the mean uses the same scale/range/weight for each judge's input.
The graph shows the final score as the grey bar, my normalized scores in blue and Erppo's normed scores in orange.

Sorry this took so long guys. It took me a few weeks before I could finish my judgments, and our third judge went MIA.  Judging comments in next post.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:02:14 AM by Drake »

Drake

« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2013, 06:55:49 AM »
==DNH 0.12 Entries==

AJS: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/ajs/p/range-contest-10-reimu-marisa/v/10

-Drake-
The ZUN intro pattern is probably the best one in here, interestingly enough.
Yin-Yang seems to be going somewhere, but it doesn't end up doing very much.
Marisa non is very static. Her card is easily misdirected and isn't very cohesive, especially the rain.
Survival card has no real discernable pattern, and has too many bullet types. Almost seems like the different phases are just bullet changes.

-Erppo-
Rather uninteresting. The nons are more fun than any of the spellcards. Every attack feels just a bit too long and the survival could use a lot more variation.

KuroArashi: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/kuroarashi/p/range-contest-10-entry-youmu-konpaku/v/100a

-Drake-
Good first card, good second card, good third card concept.
First non isn't very well-timed with the lasers, and less importantly doesn't seem suitable as an opener.
Despite being ok otherwise, the second card's lasers just stuffs you in one spot, limiting your space for no real reason.
Third non is pretty much taptaptap, and the lasers feel tacked-on just to add something. Most of the lasers in the whole contest suffer from this.
Third card more tacky lasers for no reason, weird hitboxes, and despite playing it over and over, there isn't enough warning/timing in the one slash.

-Erppo-
Some decent concepts but feels unpolished. Attacks with the boss moving take way too long unless you use a homing shot type. The first spell and the last non are the best here, second spell felt out of place by being way too easy (at least in Hard). I didn't really like the idea of the surprise laser grid in the final attack. The minimum random speed of some bullets is nearly stationary which can lead to some silliness.

Qwertyzxcv: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/qwertyzxcv1/p/youmu-konpaku-contest-10-entry/v/2

-Drake-
Good copies and alterations. They fix problems present with the originals, which I really like.
Myon is good. Nice use of bullet behaviour.
As for the second card, there's no real easy way to hit Youmu. It's basically a timeout, feels really weird to play, and the slash graphic is misleading.
Arrows are lame. Their hitboxes are also not properly defined (i.e. the tips) and so are misleading and awkward. Seems like pattern copypaste too.
Last card started cool, then became boring "dodge random crap from all directions" while more pretty happened outside. Quite disapppointing.
As a general tip, popping the player into the center is not a good way to force them there. Think Yukari or Ran's survivals, or Danmaku Bounded Field.

-Erppo-
Some fun dodging but very unpolished. The difficulty balance feels all over the place in the higher modes and I'm not completely convinced couple of attacks are even possible. I liked the second spell, and the survival is pretty neat too, even though it feels a bit unfinished.

Gusano2314: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/gusano2314/p/contest-10-entry-reimu-hakurei/v/10

-Drake-
Great opener. Good use of boss movement, and good pattern aesthetic on top of it. Third part could have been done well, but instead the disappearing is clunky and disappointing.
First spell has iffy execution, sort of boring to play, and has awful hitboxes.
Good second non as well.
Second card I still cannot follow for the life of me. What is hapn.
Third non great concept, but the random trail is not good as it's quite unpredictable. The random boss movement makes it dumb quick.
Third card is cool, good timing. Bad tacky lasers though, and the trails are a bit too obscuring.
huyusilver art so gud

-Erppo-
Surprisingly challenging. Feels a bit unpolished though, despite having some fun dodging. Couple of gripes: the last non feels uninteresting and tends to take really long due to the walls blocking you from getting under the boss. The final attack has just way too much hp.

AkaoniP: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/torchic038/p/marisa-kirisame-range-contest-10/v/1

-Drake-
Ecological Bomb is good, can't see shit though.
Good noncards, if a bit unnoteworthy.
Should really probably made stealing more obvious. Good gimmick really, except no options makes the last card horrible, so...
Last card is basically a timeout and Lunatic is completely bonkers.
The Marisa transformation is really weird. It isn't useful at all until lasers, but it'll end up killing you more often.
Player bullets are odd/invasive and the stealing timing is poorly projected, but these are minor.

-Erppo-
Average. Most attacks are okay, but a bit unmemorable. The final is pretty dumb though. The difference between Normal and Lunatic modes doesn't feel big enough. In most attacks, Lunatic just adds the big star layer, which isn't hard enough to make any significant difference.

PhantomSong: http://bulletforge.heroku.com/u/phantom-song/p/marisa-kirisame-contest-entry/v/1

-Drake-
Not too sure what to say about this one. First card is the best pattern, but still very static in play.
Everything is pretty generic; pretty much all of the attacks are very static in play.
There's also not much difference between difficulties, you can still do exactly the same thing every time.

-Erppo-
Fairly generic, but no real flaws either. The first spell was the most fun attack to dodge, despite being extremely simple. Difficulty scaling is there, but I expected a bit bigger difference between the modes. The second spell in Hard is way too easy compared to all the other attacks and feels out of place.

Victini: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/victini/p/range-c10-entry-sakuya-izayoi/v/0

-Drake-
First non is very Sakuya, and it works. First card looks and feels cool.
Second non is less of a hit, but still ok. I think the colors are messing with me.
Hitting the player without giving any possibility to avoid or recover is a no-no. I know you recommend just to play on Normal, but if you submit the difficulty it's going to be judged. Not losing a whole lot though.
Private Square is good and fun. Not much to say besides that, but yes, it's quite fun.

-Erppo-
Good Sakuya-style attacks. The final attack in Hard is pretty fun. The rewinding knives in the second spell can hit you while you're completely helpless, which is avoidable but still feels pretty cheap. The difficulty levels scale pretty well.

rikako_asakura: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/rikako_asakura/p/range-10-entry-reimu-hakurei-boss-fight/v/1

-Drake-
Fantastic first non, but it isn't very threatening besides on Ultra. I really stressed on stream how good this is. In practice it does take too long to finish though, the boss movement stinks.
First card is also good, random boss movement too extreme, white bullets bit hard to see
Second non is good too, but you can easily tapdodge it despite me liking how you could get in there (in general). Little changes could make a big deal.
Second card is good, but the white bullets are hard to see and is way difficult on Ultra. Balancing issues.
Third non gets silly with more random boss movement, but otherwise good.
Last card is the weakest. Would have preferred expanding on the purple spirals but they were meh as-is, and you cannot see player at all with the laser effects.

-Erppo-
Rather good, but somewhat uneven. The random boss movement in some attacks is a bit too random, which can make the attacks take really long unless you pick a homing shot type. I liked the nons and the first spell otherwise. Second spell feels way harder than everything else and the survival final is a bit underwhelming. Especially the final phase, which looks cool but isn't really a threat.

Sparen: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/sparen/p/range-10-contest-entry-sanae-boss-battle/v/007

-Drake-
Overall very nice and polished, I only have minor quirks.
Aura of the Heavens is quite good, but if you were looking for a VoWG thing you sort of missed how VoWG makes you dodge. Not that it matters since it stands by its own merits.
Third non is very short; first and second cards are too long. Not sure how this happened.
Second card is... weird and overcomplicated and weird to dodge. One of those "tried too hard to make a spell card-ish pattern" things. Also, safespot.
I don't particularly like how the third non does the fencing on Abnormal.
A bit messy at some times with how many elements are on the screen, but they don't seem too intrusive so whatever.

-Erppo-
Good, nice looking patterns with some really nice dodging.  First and last spells are both great, the second looks good but is easily safespottable (including the Abnormal version) due to it's fixed nature. The difficulty levels are good and I'm going to include Abnormal in judging the script against the author's wishes because it's really fun.

Spectral Nexus: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/spectral-nexus/p/dark-marisa-my-contest-entry/v/v100e

-Drake-
I voiced my distaste on stream well enough, I think.
Once you play it a few times, the surprise wears off and a lot of oversights/safespots become apparent, like with angles only inreasing a bit every wave.
First card had the only really redeeming pattern, and the last one was maybe going somewhere as well.

-Erppo-
Rather average. Some nice attacks, the final especially is quite fun. Some of the lasers act in a very unintuitive way. The penultimate attack feels wrong, the provided shot type kills it before the second phase with the star bullets has time to happen. The difficulties are too close to each other, I didn't feel much difference going from Normal to Hard.

Ultima1234: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/ultima124/p/reimu-hakurei-range-10-entry-10d/v/10d

-Drake-
Nice first pattern, but you don't seem to have a good hold of randomness; it can be very easy or very hard. You didn't need the random, I think. Also safespot, and a large jump between difficulties.
First card is rather fun to dodge, good speed, density and restriction (on lunatic). Messy in bullet types, tapdodgeable but still nice.
Second non is good concept, but it's very hard to follow from the sparsity of bullets and many colors. Curving bullets is too much.
Second card feels more like a noncard, it's very simple and no real theme to dodging. Actually harder on normal.
Third non is pretty great to dodge - Looks a bit messy and too short though, also safespot.
Third card is largely unthreatening; good idea to have two independent followers though, using both in tandem is a good heuristic to work with.
"wer is da cannon"

-Erppo-
Quite nice, but lacks polish. Couple of interesting attacks and the nons tend to be better than the spells. The difficulty scales a bit weirdly, with some attacks becoming a lot harder and others not changing much. The final feels unfinished in all modes, you get a huge amount of free time before the attack even starts to reach you at all.

==DNH PH3 Entries==

Formless Mass: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/formless/p/reimu-contest-10/v/1

-Drake-
Great patterns, keeps you on your toes. I can't really expand much on this but you did a lot of things right.
I like how you integrated Reimu's pattern characteristics into styles like CAVE and what seems to me a Crimzon Clover reference.
Normal is actually very doable, but quite learnable. Expert less so, but still good. Normal is more well-designed, I think.
ROBOTS, good music. Great fun atmosphere.
i still cannot into the expert ballsmash pattern

-Erppo-
Full of really fun dodging. Attacks that keep you moving (sometimes really fast) and no real breathers.  Also bonus points for making the attacks in the two modes completely different but still following roughly same theme. Expert mode is really hard. Didn't really figure out good ways for doing some of the attacks yet but nothing feels impossible. I feel that the normal version is a bit better designed though.

Fraug: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/fraug/p/motk-contest-10-entry-reimu-hakurei-boss-battle/v/1

-Drake-
All of the noncards can to some degree be simply tapdodged. They spread out as the fight goes on but it's fairly uninteresting to play.
First card is a bit too long. Nice concept and I can see how it can grow, but it wasn't all that threating because the orbs don't get to the bottom of the screen.
Second card was more threatening. I think you should have focused more on the card's overarching pattern rather than fire some aimed bullets.
Survival spell is quite nice, but I found that for the first portion all of the waves were aimed at the same spots and it became stagnant. Second part is good.
Wasn't much difference between the difficulties and Hard was consequently quite easy.

-Erppo-
Good basic script. Nothing to complain about really, attacks are moderately interesting and even the survival spell is handled well and doesn't feel repetitive. However, there's nothing outstanding here either. Difficulties are not that different, and I felt that the Hard mode was still a bit too easy.

Naut: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/naut/p/contest-10-hakurei-reimu/v/100

-Drake-
You have such a good command on randomness it's uncanny. I have fun with every pattern.
The first card is the weakest though, it seems like the one that you came up with because you ran out of clever ideas.
It's better on Hard and below with the walls, in my opinion, and while I like that you managed to make tapdodging threatening, I think it's just because there are three relatively fast elements you have to dodge. Maybe I'm approaching it wrong, but it's the only one I feel mildly frustrated at.
Second card is delicious, I just want to time it out. SPEED APPU.
Third card manages to hit a lot of the things people like about VoWG, even the ability to sneak through some of the waves. I'd like to see more color here, I think.
Music is great and pumps me up for dodgan. The sync you have going throughout the fight is definitely not wasted on me.

-Erppo-
Not much effort in the visuals, but the patterns and dodging are so good it doesn't matter. Only thing I could really complain about here is that the difficulties other than Lunatic feel a bit like an afterthought. Lunatic itself is extremely good. All attacks are interesting, fun to dodge, and they evolve enough to never feel repetitive. Very good handling of randomness in patterns.

Maths ~Angelic Version~: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/maths-angelic-version/p/range-contest-10-entry-marisa-kirisame/v/11

-Drake-
Interesting noncards, visually speaking. A bit too static for my liking, but not bad.
First card is the weakest. Like a lot of other entries, it seems like you tried too hard to force a spell card pattern out of an idea centered mainly around how you'd script it.
I'm guilty of this too, to note, but as a result the pattern ends up a bit incoherent and weird to play.
Second card is the best, I think. It's a good concept and I like it. However, I think it relies too much on the random factors to make you dodge. The end result is mainly "bullets randomly flying around all over", and it could be better.
Third card is nice too. The trail being made of the same types of bullets is very confusing though, and the sparsity and directions of the bullets makes it fall into the general trap of hard-to-read patterns I always mention.
Not particuarly noteworthy, not particularly bad; not particularly boring, not particularly exciting.

-Erppo-
Stars. Pretty nice basic attacks, but there's very little variety in the content. There's more to the canonical Marisa than the IN nonspells. Every attack here feels almost the same and nothing is very memorable. The first spell was probably my favourite pattern.

Shadow: http://www.mediafire.com/?zljb9aobjsykgyp

-Drake-
Good first non. I really like its flow.
Good first card. Insane, but fun to play and not hard in a bad way. Could really do without the red circles at the end.
I like the second non but really cannot overlook firing bullets from the bottom of the screen, even with the split-second laser warning.
Second card is cool when it starts and then becomes a big clusterfuck. What is happening. What.
Third card I can't quite wrap my head around but it's excellent fun. Good stuff.
Despite this, everything is rather well-designed for something so absurdly difficult. Not much in here screams poor design, so props for even managing to do this without catastrophically failing.
Very well-polished aesthetically, on top of that. Overuse of add-blend, but regardless.
However, of course, you get a major penalty for not having any other difficulties. Nobody is going to be able to see half the patterns. You'd probably pop up to a 19~20 if you put more into finishing and balance.

-Erppo-
Nice and incredibly difficult, I could not capture anything after the opener. The 2nd spell is especially nasty and I have no idea how to survive it without bombing many times. Despite the difficulty, everything still feels fairly well designed and there's no mindless spam. The opener is good, and I also enjoyed the final, even though that one can really screw you over with bad luck. Would be a lot better with some proper balancing.

Ozzy: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/ozzy/p/range-contest-10-entry-sakuya/v/100

-Drake-
Good first non, even if it is a little bland. First card has a nice concept but it isn't all that threatening, so the card ends up being just the blue kunai.
Second card is another good concept that is lacking a bit of foresight. It's quite easy to move mostly vertically and make most of the dodging trivial. Could be done better but I don't fault it.
Second noncard I'm on the fence about. You can trivialize it by plopping yourself in the right place, but without that it's pretty nice, albeit a bit bland like the first.
Third non is really fun. Good job on not making walls everywhere, very manageable.
Third card is fun (if you take away the safespot). No real problems here besides a bit of mess.
Very Sakuya overall and good patterns. A few things could be touched on but it's good as it is.

-Erppo-
Pretty good Sakuya. I especially liked the nonspells. The final is neat, but it becomes a bit too easy after you notice how to do it. Didn't really like the spell where she follows you. Good visual style. Could use another difficulty level maybe, but the current one is well balanced so I don't mind that much.

TalosMistake: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/talosmistake/p/range-contest-entry-10-youmu-boss-fight-by-talosmistake/v/10

-Drake-
Hnngh all this nice design. Very, very good stuff here, and very Youmu. Incredibly well-polished.
I love your style of sequencing patterns. You put a lot of work into each one and they're all nicely detailed, nicely spaced, and nicely varied.
For your first non you start with the traditional circle pattern, then move Youmu for the straight spray and it generates a great situation to dodge in. The bullets stay on the screen long enough for the next pattern to be a hindrance, but not a nuisance, and it makes a really nice flow throughout the whole noncard.
I really appreciate the control over boss movement and using it to generate your dodging situations while keeping your patterns solid.
Your first card is the weakest. I do like the overarching slash->lines pattern, but it wasn't very prominent throughout. I think you lost a lot of content to the triple-arrowhead pattern, but I do like the touch of swapping the color every new cycle.
Second noncard has the same good feel as the first. A bit more sparse, but still good.
Second card has really good telegraphing. Each difficulty nearly hits the sweet spot for density and speed.
Third non uses boss movement very well to create dodging situations from the familiars without using explicit randomness. The cover patterns could contribute more, but it's good.
Third card is nice. Good balance in the random angles. Final attack could have been more threatening, but nice touch.
The music also plays a role in my enjoyment of it. It really matches the script and its flow quite well.
Despite having three difficulties, I find there is too little space between them; Lunatic could be a step up and Hard could almost take Lunatic's place.
However, one thing I found while playing other difficulties is that the patterns are structured so that I can have fun whizzing around the screen without it being either impossible or too easy. This likely isn't a conscious detail at all, put the more I play this the more I like it.

Extra card is great too. Your style pairs very well with these one-shot last-word-esque extras.
This is definitely the entry I'm most impressed by, and I didn't go in already with high expectations so this is surprising (in the best way). It's too bad that I was dead tired by the time I got to it on stream.

-Erppo-
Really good. The visuals are nice, and all the attacks are really well designed. I like the amount of variation in many of them and the intertwining of different patterns is great. Difficulty is nice, although not that high. The second spell was my favourite and also the hardest attack in here. I also really enjoyed all the attacks with multiple different phases.

Darkness1: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/darkness1/p/range-contest-10-entry-eternal-miko/v/11

-Drake-
First noncard is pretty generic, but no glaring flaws in it. This applies to a lot of the script, I think.
First card has a great concept, I think. Claustrophobic cards like this are good. Unfortunately there aren't really any threatening elements that make the card complete, in a sense. You just sit there and sometimes move. Needs more control over how the pattern ends up playing, I think.
Second non is pretty much as I said on stream, it's pretty basic. It could be much more interesting with less emphasis on the criss-cross and more on the horizontal stuff coming out.
Second card is a bit messy, but not as messy as I first thought on stream.
Insanely good third noncard. Where did this come from. Only loses out from the lighter difficulty balancing.
Third card also has a great concept, but I'm a bit on the edge. On one hand I think there are far too many elements to concentrate on, but on the other hand doing it methodically turns it into a rather nice puzzle card where you slowly loop around the screen. Mixed feelings.

-Erppo-
Quite fun. The first and final spell are pretty nice. The final especially is interesting, despite being quite easy. Lunatic could have been harder overall but I still kind of liked it. I like how many of the attacks evolve a bit to keep things interesting

Sasupoika: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/sasupoika/p/reimu-contest-10-entry/v/100

-Drake-
I don't think there's any question on how much I like your stuff. The pattern style, the art and drawn bullets, the glorious writing, etc. Quality production right here.
The required reaction time for most of your patterns probably isn't something that most of RaNGE has lol. Even the Easy difficulty took quite a while to do well, but that's mainly because of the final pattern.
Speaking of which, on Easy, the pattern doesn't end up staying very coherent. The extra sparse bullets the wheels generate are definitely the most dangerous simply because they're sparse, go in many directions and are very fast. Expert mode doesn't have this issue.
I found that after practice most of the fight reduces to learning how to do each pattern and doesn't have all that much to offer outside of that, despite how good each pattern is. However these are very minor complaints in the face of some good shit.
couldn't beat expert

-Erppo-
Great style, good flow of attacks. Everything feels really hard at first but isn't very (if at all) random, so you'll quickly learn how to do things. Couldn't clear the harder mode, despite dying only once before the final phase, which makes this the hardest script of the bunch. Most attacks are fun to play and the final pattern is pretty cool. I could complain that it feels a bit trial and error though.

Thaws: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/thaws/p/reverse-ideology-motk-range-contest-10-entry/v/10

-Drake-
Really interesting concept. Very Thaws, very funny. Spilling Reimu's tea gives me great satisfaction and the scenario is a good explanation for having to fight her.
I don't think the fight was particularly Reimu-ish despite the use of amulets, though; most of it stemmed from the flipping gimmick. It's a very entertaining gimmick, but I think you lost track of the contest theme a bit.
I'm not sure how to feel about the danmaku, because on one hand, you have patterns that become silly unless you flip one particular way, but on the other hand, you have patterns where you don't need to flip at all and so having the gimmick feels unnecessary.
That being said, most of the patterns I felt were fairly well-executed. First non was pretty bland in that it had no features besides pressing D.
Spiky Ceiling I think is my favorite since it assumes you're going to flip the wall every time and so it focuses more on how you react to the rest of the pattern.
The other two noncards were pretty fun as well.

-Erppo-
I am not really sure how I should judge this one. The gimmick is a neat (and unique) idea and is cleverly used in some attacks. On the other hand, the whole thing feels just about figuring the points where you flip, because using the flip wrong often kills you. I don't know if there's an intended way for the survival but I ended up not using the flips at all since they just made it more confusing.

Lucas: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/ck-crash/p/contest-10-green-reimu/v/1

-Drake-
Excellent stuff here. As I initially suspected, you got to build off of what looks like a pretty solid base.
Patterns are all pretty great. Very Sanae, all of them. Really good use of add-blend bullets, you almost don't realize they are.
First non has a really effective opening impact, just like her MoF appearance.
One issue I have with the first card is that you can trivialize it by plopping yourself in the center for every wave. It's too bad because the pattern is very interesting and fun to play with.
Wasn't expecting the explosions in the second non but they fit surprisingly well and offer good blockades. Overarching pattern is super pretty.
Second card: bullets from the bottom done right.
I know you said the point of the last card was to circle around, but there's enough space on all difficulties to stay around the bottom half and clear it quickly. I think using two less dense spirals making a slightly tighter wall might work better than just the one.
I really appreciate all of the considerate bullet positionings for everything. It looks like there was a lot of tweaking.
Difficulty scales really well. It isn't all that difficult, but what's done is done well.
Music works perfectly throughout the fight and really sets the tone; contributes a lot to the enjoyment. The subdued background does a good job of this too (also helps all the add-blend stuff). Fantastic use of color throughout the whole thing.
Really good job, keep it up.

-Erppo-
Everything about this script looks and feels quality. The attacks are well designed, fun to dodge and they look pretty. The difficulty levels are really well balanced and they feel really close to their Touhou counterparts. It's clear that some thought was put into making all of them instead of simply adding/removing bullets. One minor complaint: the big stars in the penultimate attack start firing too late to matter.

Suikama: http://www.bulletforge.org/u/suikama/p/suikamas-contest-10-entry/v/1

-Drake-
24.7/24.7, BANNED

-Erppo-
What? Bonus points for Youmu.
AGAINST THE RULES!!!

Shadow

• Forever waiting for tomorrow
Re: Danmakufu Contest #10 - Youkai Exterminator Extermination! (Results IN)
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
Oh, that was a rather pleasant surprise--I honestly did not think I would end up ranking that high. ^^; Well, that was a pretty fun contest overall (completely disregarding my own excruciatingly terrible time management), and I would surely participate in the next.

Oh, and of course, congratulations for the winners and high-rankers~

Re: Danmakufu Contest #10 - Youkai Exterminator Extermination! (Results IN)
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2013, 08:04:34 AM »
Nice :) I was right about TalosMistake getting the 1st place (well, getting one of two first places :)). Congratulations to the winners!