Author Topic: Danmakufu Contest #10 - Youkai Exterminator Extermination! (POST PHOTO PRIZES!)  (Read 69752 times)

Drake

Girls do their best now and are preparing.

Youkai Exterminator Extermination! 

>RESULTS HERE!<

Oh my god a contest, how long it has been. I am very excite. We literally haven't had a contest held here in two years.
And what's with all these people coming out of nowhere? I wasn't even aware most of you existed. In any case, let's get started.

The object of this contest is quite simple in scope and theme: you are to create a boss fight, picking from the "main" "heroines" of the Touhou series: Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Sanae, and Youmu.
Naturally, the player will be a youkai.

The judges this time around will be yours truly, and several secret judges that I haven't yet thought of will be revealed when the time comes. That being said, the judges are scoring each entry out of 24.7 possible points. I won't be using strict categories, but the general guideline is that gameplay, i.e. good pattern design and being fun to play, is more important than presentation and aesthetics. As usual.

Rules and Tips:
  • You may use Danmakufu 0.12m or ph3, although I heavily recommend ph3.
  • You are to script up a boss fight consisting of no more than three spellcards and three noncards. Alternately, you could have a maximum of six different attack phases. You may include one survival spellcard, but it must be no longer than 60 seconds. You are not required to hit any of these limits, but going over is forbidden and dumb anyways.
  • Putting more effort into the quality of what you have is better than padding with quantity. Likewise, having a survival spell should be alright on principle, but having the option to do it does not mean always it's a good idea.
  • Staying thematic to the characters is a good idea, obviously. But playing and judging multiple scripts with Master Spark all over, as you can imagine, is not very enjoyable. If you do use a common character feature, try to make it fresh and exciting.
  • I recommend making at least two difficulties for your script, to ensure that everybody can enjoy your script equally. If you only make one difficulty and poorly balance it (very likely), you may be deducted score for it.
  • Despite saying above that we want to judge more on good design and fun/playability, having a well-polished fight and various nice bells and whistles is also bound to affect the fun and playability of your script.
  • Please make sure your script runs flawlessly before submitting it. If your script unintentionally errors in some way, it will be disqualified, excusing only certain conditions. Your script should use relative path directories to ensure that it is playable no matter how it is extracted. If you're unsure whether or not your script will run on everybody's computer, download your own script from where you uploaded it, and try to play it in a different folder. This should catch most directory issues.

As always, you aren't required to sign up, just make something and post it. Make sure it has your name and script version. In order to let people comment on the entries posted before the deadline, unless you need to fix an important error or something, consider your submissions as final. Lastly, I recommend using BulletForge to host your entry.

All scripts must be submitted by 11:59:59 PDT (GMT-7), September 10. You have essentially two weeks. Entries two seconds late will be accepted.
Here's a COUNTDOWN TIMER

Go.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:06:13 AM by Helepolis »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

fondue

• excuse me
Re: Danmakufu Contest #10 - Youkai Exterminator Extermination!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
can we have a week extra because of school
Should we PM you our entries so you can access them more easily?

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
The object of this contest is quite simple in scope and theme: you are to create a boss fight, picking from the "main" "heroines" of the Touhou series: Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, Sanae, and Youmu.
Does this mean we have to make our own player character aswell or download a specific youkai player character?

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
Does this mean we have to make our own player character aswell or download a specific youkai player character?
It doesn't say anything in the rules about a youkai player character, so I guess not.
Alternatively you could say that the player is actually Nue in disguise :V

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »

I'm reusing a player I made before (quite recently, though). I don't have the time to make a new player script's resources.
Still... I think I'll have fun with this.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
can we have a week extra because of school
Should we PM you our entries so you can access them more easily?
Quote from: drake
As always, you aren't required to sign up, just make something and post it. Make sure it has your name and script version. In order to let people comment on the entries posted
Information says to post them in the thread. As long as you make a clear formatting with your name, name of the script/game and the link all should be fine.

Good question. I think Drake made an error/forgot to mention it in the rules. Since he is asleep, we'll need to wait for him show up. I already sent him a PM.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:49:31 PM by Helepolis »

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »
Fortunately, I already have player characters made for my game that will probably fit the bill for youkai. Like Sparen, I would prefer not to waste time developing a new one. However, people should keep in mind that there's always the default Rumia that comes with both versions of Danmakufu. If worse comes to worse, that can always be used I suppose.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
Hopefully he just meant that the player was supposed to use a youkai player character and a specific youkai player won't be necessary to include.
Since a dialogue isn't needed in the script.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Edit:

On 8/26/13, at 1:28 PM, ExPorygon wrote:
> On 8/26/13, at 1:30 PM, Nagito Komaeda wrote:
> > i've lost
> yeah because a pretty background wins the contest automatically

I've put the link in a spoiler. If you do not feel that you can win because I have a 3D background, that's not true. My actual attacks will probably be mediocre or just plain boring to most players.

Don't worry about what others are doing. Worry about what you have and what you can do to improve your script.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:34:34 PM by Sparen »

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »
Using this post as placeholder and to keep track of thread.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

ExPorygon

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »
To reiterate a quote that Sparen took from me on Skype, my advice to all participants is to MAKE YOUR BOSS FIRST!!

Pretty visual effects, including 3D backgrounds, custom charge effects, explosions, boss auras, and lifebars are by no means essential or even necessary. All of these effects will mean nothing if your boss's attacks are hastily made and/or boring. The only visual effect that I would consider absolutely necessary is an image to represent the boss, just so it can be seen and aimed at. It doesn't even have to be animated.

My recommendation is to finish your boss battle completely before you begin to invest any time into special effects, like a background. Remember, Danmakufu DOES have some default effects available to you, especially v0.12m. Both versions have default systems and backgrounds that you can use if you run out of time to make your own. If, however, you spend lots of time on cool effects and run out of time when making the actual boss, then you're unfortunately out of luck. It doesn't matter how pretty your boss looks if it's incomplete.

Finally, remember what Drake said in the opening post:
gameplay, i.e. good pattern design and being fun to play, is more important than presentation and aesthetics. As usual.
Do not get discouraged if your script doesn't LOOK as nice as someone else's. While everyone may not be capable of making pretty effects, EVERYONE should capable of making fun and creative patterns, which is the true goal of this contest.

P.S. I by no means mean to say that shiny effects mean absolutely nothing. They help make a script more fun, to be sure. However, they are more comparable to icing on a cake.

Edit: Someone asked me to also touch on the use of ADD rendering on special effects and bullets alike. A common mistake that I've seen scripters make is making their patterns and effects TOO shiny. Overuse of ADD rendering can make it difficult to see important parts of the screen and are often just hard on the eyes in general. It's fine to use ADD rendering, but try not to use it TOO much. This is something else that can possibly be avoided by saving special effects for last.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:33:32 PM by Ozzy »

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
I actually second the request for a week extension, since many people (*cough* myself) will be going back to school (in my case moving back to school) and get caught up in first week of school (and unpacking) shenanigans. 

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
If I hadn't managed to make all of the animations and backgrounds work (on my third try instead of my fortieth), then yes; a 1 week extension would be great.

I also have about 30 college mini-essays to write before school starts.

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Are we allowed to put our own twist on the heroines' roles in the script?
My idea: I was thinking that a youkai (yet to be decided in my case) fell through a wormhole into a parallel universe where the heroines were evil. (I'm doing an evil Marisa villainess  >:D).
The boss sprites will be the same but their bullet 'style' will be rather different (Dark Stars For The Win!).
I'm also taking the risk of scrapping Marisa's Master Spark and replacing it with another signature spellcard of my creation.
I hope this is okay, seeing as the summary didn't specify any guidelines for the bosses other than that they had to be 1 of the heroines!
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
Entries two seconds late will be accepted.
:V

KuroArashi100

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
Hmmm...
With my Danmakufu experience, I think I can best use the following statement:

The things my newbie scripts are good at... Are next to none!

But I'm having fun, and that is worth a lot too I guess. :V

Drake

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, the youkai player was a half-joke. I intend to supply a youkai player character for judging and such, but you don't have to do anything extra. Otherwise I would have, y'know, elaborated on it. You can just assume the player is a youkai, for whatever reason.

The two-week deadline holds though, at least for now. Two weeks has been plenty for previous, more thorough contests, and offering more than that has often ended up with people sitting around doing nothing until the end, effectively using the same amount of time. Act as if you only have two weeks available, but if we really need a bit longer for several entries it could be arranged when the time comes.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
Lovely theme... Hm... I think there's going to be mostly Reimu just because she is probably the easiest out of the five. Next would be Marisa or Sakuya, then Sanae, then Youmu... Just a feeling
Ohwell good luck everyone!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, the youkai player was a half-joke. I intend to supply a youkai player character for judging and such, but you don't have to do anything extra. Otherwise I would have, y'know, elaborated on it. You can just assume the player is a youkai, for whatever reason.

The two-week deadline holds though, at least for now. Two weeks has been plenty for previous, more thorough contests, and offering more than that has often ended up with people sitting around doing nothing until the end, effectively using the same amount of time. Act as if you only have two weeks available, but if we really need a bit longer for several entries it could be arranged when the time comes.

Are we still allowed to use our own?

(b/c I'm using KogasaA for balancing as well as bullet/effect visibility on the hitbox and graphics)

Edit: Also, if we want events. ^_^

ExPorygon

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
(b/c I'm using KogasaA for balancing as well as bullet/effect visibility on the hitbox and graphics)
If there will be a youkai player supplied then I'm sure we'll be able to get our hands on it beforehand so as to adjust for any potential balancing issues.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »
Now I truly have a reason to do a Reimu boss. Time to get to work.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
I'm also taking the risk of scrapping Marisa's Master Spark and replacing it with another signature spellcard of my creation.
Psh Master Spark. As long as it's Marisa-like you should be fine.

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »

My favourite grudge.

PhantomSong

• Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »

But of course one second late means immediate disqualification

Drake

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »

ark

• みょん
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 06:56:06 AM »
2 weeks to learn danmakufu

oh boy

Formless God

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 02:27:57 AM »
Do attacks have to be the same across all modes?

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:06 AM »
Do attacks have to be the same across all modes?

No, generally Hard and Lunatic have altered patterns(different names too), but making difficulty modes is as easy as taking away bullets and slowing things down ect...

Drake

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 02:46:36 AM »
That depends on what you mean by "same". If the higher difficulty attack is a natural succession to the previous, then even if it's "different" it's still the same (and tbh is encouraged; just adding more bullets is "safe" but can get dull if done poorly). But the point of having multiple difficulties is to let everyone play more or less the same script. If the attacks are too different across difficulties to the point where they might as well be considered separate (e.g. Keine's Treasures) then having more than one difficulty in the first place is rendered moot, since you still have to play both scripts to take in all the content. In that case, they will be judged as separate patterns and will probably be docked for balancing.

Anyways that's just a suggestion, not a rule. But I also don't want you trying to circumvent the limit on patterns in this way; it's there for a reason.