Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishment Thread 21: Time to go FULL SHMUP  (Read 185170 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou Accomplishment Thread 21: Time to go FULL SHMUP
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »
I think in any good person of skill is a sense of healthy self-deprecation. Honestly, what are you supposed to do when you're good at something that others look up to? I've seen more than enough of the type who like to rub their accomplishments in everyone's faces in a much more purposeful way than you may perceive self-deprecation to be. And honestly, seeing yourself as not that great is a good way to keep yourself humble, and to not let your ability go to your head. I dunno exactly how else you're supposed to act, since I know for a fact people hate it when you're up front about your skill at Touhou.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ElDestructoe

• This one time
  • I got all the way to stage 2
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
You could just, you know, not talk about how good or bad you are.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »

As someone whom we can all confirm sucks at Touhou* (4 normal clears) I want to answer this, but I can't. Honestly I think it depends from person to person. Personally, I prefer gloating over self-deprivation, but others may not agree.

To use a Benami example: I used to play DDR somewhat casually. After a while I thought I was "good", or at least "decent"; I could clear 5-6 foot (difficulty) songs relatively consistently. However, when I read a thread once on how good is "good", I saw a lot of people say that you weren't "good" in their eyes until you could AA 9-10 foot songs consistently. Needless to say that left a horrible taste in my mouth and I ended up not playing any DDR games for a while after that.

Same goes with Touhou; if you're a Lunatic player, that alone puts you in the top 10% according to that annual Touhou popularity poll if I remember correctly. That's pretty significant in a lot of people's eyes. Thus, it really does irk me when I see someone say they "suck" when they fail to get a WR or fail a LNB run on the last spell. You know what sucks? Going into SA Normal Stage 5 with 6 lives and getting a game over on Orin. That sucks.

TL:DR I personally would rather people feel good about their accomplishments when they hit Lunatic level, and leave the self-deprivation to us poor people. :V*

*Obviously any mention of me or any other Normal players "sucking" is entirely tongue-in-cheek.

ON TOPIC LIST
Easy 1cc: MS, SA
Normal 1cc: PCB, LLS, EoSD, PoDD

Perfect Stages/Bosses
EoSD: N1-3
PCB: N1-3
UFO: N1, Ichirin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:35:39 PM by Mimeslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Zil

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2013, 08:37:19 PM »
It's possible to be proud of yourself without acting like an arrogant jerk. In fact, those things are completely different. Likewise, it's possible to be disappointed with yourself without acting like you suck. It annoys me, personally, to see people talking shit about themselves all the time, because it's completely unwarranted.

Agreeing with Zengeku, basically.

edit: Cut by ElD, but yes that's basically what I mean. You can mention the things you've done without talking about the skill level which was theoretically required to do them. Let your actions speak for themselves, in a sense.

Heian_Alien

• Act normal...
  • Act normal!
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
Self-deprecation and narcissism are sides of the same coin.

Other than that:
Thing list(these are obviously not achievements right?)
-Lunatic 1cc'd TH4,5,6,7,8,10.
-Hard and below all 1cc'd with most shottypes.All extras cleared.
-MPP Hard 1cc'd
-MB Lunatic 1cc'd
-Phantasmagoria Trues Standard Unseen1 1cc'd.
-Perfect IN Marisa Lunatic.(midboss and boss)
-Perfect ReimuA Patchy

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »
DDC Lunatic No Bomb now on Youtube.

I am planning on trying LNB with ReimuB at some point. I look forward to your MarisaB LNB, Zengeku.  ;)

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:12 AM »
My achievements so far:

EoSD: Extra clear with ReimuB. Normal 1cc with ReimuB and MarisaB.
PCB: Hard 1cc, ReimuB. No deaths Extra clear, SakuyaA. Phantasm clear, all characters (SakuyaA, ReimuB, MarisaA).
IN: FinalB Hard 1cc, Border Team and Reimu solo. Extra clear with 8 spells captured (Border Team). All last words and Imperishable Shooting captured.
PoFV: Hard 1cc with Marisa. Extra clear, Shikieiki and Komachi.
StB: All scenes up to and including 9-5 cleared, 71/85 scenes cleared in total
MoF: Hard 1cc, Normal no deaths clear, and Extra clear, with ReimuB.
GFW: Lunatic 1cc, A1 and C2. Hard 1cc, all routes. Extra clear.
TD: Hard 1cc, Extra clear, with Reimu. All Overdrives captured.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:45:12 AM by Andrew »

RNG

• Lord of all that Bullshits
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »
DDC Lunatic No Bomb now on Youtube.

I am planning on trying LNB with ReimuB at some point. I look forward to your MarisaB LNB, Zengeku.  ;)

I'll ask again - how hard do you think the was as LNB runs go? Worse than UFO? Easier?

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2013, 06:44:36 AM »
So, I guess I've only recently just been diving into the whole Lunatic business. But 90FPS runs of Extra are more of my thing in terms of accomplishments.

EoSD: Hard 1cc with MarisaA
PCB: Lunatic 1cc with MariA and MariB
IN: Lunatic 1cc with Netherworld Team
MoF: Lunatic 1cc with MarisaC
SA: Lunatic 1cc with ReimuC (I didn't bomb everything, I swear!)
UFO: Lunatic 1cc with SanaeA
10D: Lunatic 1cc with Marisa
10DA: Lunatic 1cc with Reimu, Marisa, and Sanae (because 10Darrange is different enough to warrant mentioning)
DDC: Hard 1cc with all shots, working on MarisaA Lunatic

Naturally, my Extra 90FPS collection is in my signature. But some of those are from a really long time ago so I might retry some of them.

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:01 AM »
I'll ask again - how hard do you think the was as LNB runs go? Worse than UFO? Easier?

Not trying to answer on Mino's behalf here or anything but from what I've played the game is considerably easier than UFO especially with homing types. Not that this game doesn't have difficult parts but it doesn't really have anything that matches Shou or Byakuren. I'm sure that once everyone's playtime on both games exceed 100 hours, they will all agree on this.

Formless God

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »
I dunno man, I thought UFO was easier because your character's control feels much better and the power system isn't full on retarded. I can NB Shou and Byakuren better than I do against Seija and Sukuna as well.

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:33 AM »
Hmm... well I'm thinking that there's going to be the obvious problem when making judgements like these is that there's going to be a gap between the amount of time spent in one game over the other. I'm thinking the reason you don't do so well on Sukuna is because of a lack of familiarity with her patterns. After all, pretty much anything in her fight that can kill you is memorization. So I guess if your point is that it's harder due to being more memorization demanding then sure.

But then again, I don't have LNBs on either game, this game because it's new and UFO because holy shit only 5 lives and so many mean patterns, so I am really not in a position to make accurate estimations. Just throwing in speculation.  :3

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
UFO LNB and LNBNUFO are two different things.

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
Well I'm talking about the former still.

The 5 lives comment was just a silly excuse for not having done UFO LNB ;)

chum

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
UFO LNB is clearly much harder. The fact that DDC is new has just (naturally) skewed some opinions

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
Honestly. DDC is weird. For me, it seems to mostly revolve around my performances in stages 3 and 4, which I see make up the difficulty bulk of the game. Of course, you can never underestimate the difficulty of stages 5 or 6 either. I worry that people are actually starting to underestimate DDC a bit. Sure, bosses can be learned, but putting it all together in a run is the challenge. I can definitely say that I'm not consistent at getting NMNB Seija fights.

UFO took me much longer to get in the long run. It took a month for me to learn the boss patterns as they're actually meant to be played. (because in the vanilla days, you just bombspam the shit out of the game. Similar to DDC style) However, I had much less experience with Touhou when I was going for the UFO LNB, which was in March.

So I can't really say which is harder. Personally, I would have an easier time with UFO, but I have noticeably more experience with UFO. Most of the time I play UFO, I go for LNBNUFO anyway, but that's a different story.

In DDC, I just have a hard time getting an actual good run going. Unless I'm using SakuyaA or something, I'd find it very hard to get a low miss, no bomb run of the game, like I have of UFO.

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
I got my first 1cc of any STG: Perfect Cherry Blossom with score: 630628180.

I think I've been practicing this game for about 4 months. The hardest wall to get past was the Prismriver Sisters on stage 4, I almost gave up because I couldn't practice them without sitting through the stage every time but then I discovered thtk and ecl and practised that boss fight well over 100 times to come up with safe strategies and get good enough at them to be able to execute them in a real run. After that I discovered POCing and the stage portions became much more fun.

The first 4 stages went well in terms of survival but I couldn't get any borders to happen when the good graze opportunities come up. It's very difficult to time them correctly. My Youmu fight went a lot better than it usually goes in practice (even though I still died a lot on it, didn't get any of the borders and threw a few away to help me survive). My Yuyuko fight was absolutely disgusting, I will have to practice that a lot after I get more confident with Youmu but I have only gone through the Yuyuko fight once before.

It is always nice to get a p.b. but I was getting bit fed up from how badly stage 6 went so I wasn't really excited or happy by the end of it. I want to get a run with a decent Yuyuko fight - I don't expect a perfect Yuyuko for a long time though - those great borders on stage 2 as well as some good borders in the Youmu fight. I suppose I should also read a bit more about PCB since I wonder if I'm missing any important scoring elements of the game.

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »
^Your first normal 1cc and your score is already that high!? I envy you <_<

PCB Normal 1cc. I bombed a lot for safety. I still suck at shmup after all :(

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=30145
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »
^Your first normal 1cc and your score is already that high!? I envy you <_<

he asked us more experienced players for advice on irc and put more effort into the clear than necessary, so his score is higher for a reason. most first clears are just barely pulled through things.

Kinda late, but WR is up on youtube

I actually wanted to record it via fraps without any external sounds (me speaking, basically), but it seems the laptop can't handle fraps recording so I imported it from twitch. very embarrassing for me since my reaction is very "with the moment"

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
I actually wanted to record it via fraps without any external sounds (me speaking, basically), but it seems the laptop can't handle fraps recording so I imported it from twitch. very embarrassing for me since my reaction is very "with the moment"

Nothing embarassing about that. It's human nature to be excited about something awesome happening and at least you didn't start maniacally laughing like i've done sometimes.

Also, "if we were to take optimal as standard",  then PMT's DDP score would be shit-tier. I know you state that you're still happy with your run but just in case, pls don't consider your run bad just because it could've been better. ;) It was good and I'd wish you were here so i could properly 'reward' you.  :3

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
Got another green box on my spreadsheet. EoSD Marisa A Normal 1cc. Yay me. 2 more shot types on normal

Zil

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2013, 03:31:32 AM »
ELLEN NO BOMB 1CC FUCK YES

edit: recording on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn7e08uR61s
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:53:35 PM by Zil »

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2013, 05:14:26 AM »
Didn't really want to make two posts this close to each other...

But HOLY CRAP I FINALLY 1cc'd SA. Albeit Easy, but I'd been trying for a while!

chum

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2013, 04:06:53 PM »

Unreal

Heian_Alien

• Act normal...
  • Act normal!
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »
At last, got the Endless Sakura timeout, took around 20 tries this time.(total is x/130)
Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=30152

wow, well played

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2013, 07:18:16 PM »
My first  DDC 1CC, On easy. @75 fps. Was kinda fun.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
So special circumstances allowed me to regain proper ventilation for my computer during the previous week. Cooked up a DDC Lunatic 1cc and DDC Extra clear in that time (both attached to this post; NOTE: both are for v1.00a). However, those same circumstances also meant no Internet access during that week (long story), and I learned too late that a v1.00b patch was released, hence the warning about the replays being for v1.00a.

My impressions? I'm really liking DDC. ZUN decided not to let up with the difficulty after all, and I'm so glad he made that choice. I had a lot of fun replaying the stages, even after getting the 1cc, and improving at most of the attacks that gave me trouble the first time around. New hardest Touhou game? Definitely. But for the most part the danmaku still seems within reach, rather than being "impossible" as others described it around release. If I still had the means to keep my computer from overheating, I would certainly keep on playing. I haven't even seen boss-Benben yet.

If it's not too much trouble, would it be all right if someone recorded these two replays for me and sent me the videos? Fraps was giving me too many fits, even with the extra ventilation.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:00:26 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »
1.00a replays shouldn't desync on 1.00b. All my B-shot 1ccs were done before the 1.00b patch and I've tested it myself. Oddly enough, the MarisaA 1cc desyncs on stage 4. Must have paused during dialogue or something.

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
1.00a replays shouldn't desync on 1.00b. All my B-shot 1ccs were done before the 1.00b patch and I've tested it myself. Oddly enough, the MarisaA 1cc desyncs on stage 4. Must have paused during dialogue or something.

Lots of Marisa replays desync, I think all the top level MarisaB replays I watched from royalflare had desyncs in some stage. Seems to happen due to her options glitching out kinda frequently.
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2013, 10:15:49 PM »
Lots of Marisa replays desync, I think all the top level MarisaB replays I watched from royalflare had desyncs in some stage. Seems to happen due to her options glitching out kinda frequently.
Related to the lasers visually glitching out, perhaps?