Author Topic: Some Q's for Publishing Doujin Music  (Read 2885 times)

Some Q's for Publishing Doujin Music
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:56:09 AM »
I'm not too sure about where I should put this, so mods move this thread to somewhere more fit if possible :o

I'm considering working on a CD for Comiket 85 but I have a few questions:

- General CD-producing; when making your first several copies of a dojin CD by hand what kinds of things do I need to do and where can I buy any of the materials (ideal CDs for burning, format, CD stickers, print out covers, wrappers, etc) or if it's possible to have a shop produce the aforementioned stuff for you. I'm situated in Canada so suggest Canadian stores.
- What sort of procedure does one have to go through for a non-Japanese person to have his album sold at a convention like Reitaisai and Comiket? (I'm going to Comiket 85 so I was just wondering if you needed to have some things done if you want to sell your album)
- Any other stuff I should know?

Thanks

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: Some Q's for Publishing Doujin Music
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
You can sell discs on plain unlabeled CDs with soft cases if you wanted. It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

If you want to sell your CD at an event, you need to submit an application and pay the fee (most of which gets refunded if you're rejected). However, for Comiket, the application period ends soon after the previous Comiket event closes (usually a week or so). If you wanted to apply for 85, the deadline for the application fee already ended.

But you can offer your CD on consignment through another circle, which is as simple has handing them your CDs and having them keep track of sales (or hanging around and selling them yourself at their booth).

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
You can sell discs on plain unlabeled CDs with soft cases if you wanted. It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

If you want to sell your CD at an event, you need to submit an application and pay the fee (most of which gets refunded if you're rejected). However, for Comiket, the application period ends soon after the previous Comiket event closes (usually a week or so). If you wanted to apply for 85, the deadline for the application fee already ended.

But you can offer your CD on consignment through another circle, which is as simple has handing them your CDs and having them keep track of sales (or hanging around and selling them yourself at their booth).

Thanks for the reply.

How about Retaisai?

N-Forza

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
It's still available as far as I know, but the main thing you need is a contact with a Japanese address and bank account (to pay the fee). I don't know of any event that will take overseas applications, mostly because of the fee.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
You can try talking with Renko, she's a part of Orange Jam, a music doujin group, and also speaks English. I think she can help you as far as trying to figure out how to register and all that fun stuff: http://renko.walfas.org/?page_id=51

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
You can try talking with Renko, she's a part of Orange Jam, a music doujin group, and also speaks English. I think she can help you as far as trying to figure out how to register and all that fun stuff: http://renko.walfas.org/?page_id=51

Thank you so much, I think this will be very helpful :D

N-Forza

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
I can pretty much guarantee you she's going to tell you a lot of what I told you.

I guess I forgot to mention that I am also part of a circle that sells stuff at Comiket/Reitaisai. (although I figured Firestorm would know that considering we met last year, although I guess it was the night before, not actually at the event)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:38:20 AM by N-Forza »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
I can pretty much guarantee you she's going to tell you a lot of what I told you.

I guess I forgot to mention that I am also part of a circle that sells stuff at Comiket/Reitaisai. (although I figured Firestorm would know that considering we met last year, although I guess it was the night before, not actually at the event)
We've failed horribly in meeting you during Reitaisai event. Perhaps he has indeed forgotten about it :V

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
Nah, I remember that. I even visited your booth during the event. It's just that I figured since she deals with a music group that has overseas members in it and sold through someone else like you mentioned, she might know who to talk to or maybe know something more specific to music circles.

Didn't mean to offend ^^;

N-Forza

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
Are you talking about when she sold those CDs from the Korean circle Illusion Sonic? I guess she does have experience in that respect, but technically, so does my circle, since we've sold Orange Jam CDs on consignment at events a number of times. She just gave us the CDs and we kept track of how many we sold so we could pay her back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:02:46 PM by N-Forza »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
Are you talking about when she sold those CDs from the Korean circle Illusion Sonic? I guess she does have experience in that respect, but technically, so does my circle, since we've sold Orange Jam CDs on consignment at events a number of times. She just gave us the CDs and we kept track of how many we sold so we could pay her back.
Ah, didn't know you also worked with Orange Jam, or probably got your table mixed up with the Illusion Sonic table. I was alittle out of it at the end of the event when I came by...