Author Topic: Air Emblem, a cross of Touhou and Fire Emblem.  (Read 5470 times)

Air Emblem, a cross of Touhou and Fire Emblem.
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:05 AM »
Hello, I wanted to start a project of a Touhou fangame that is fairly similar to Fire Emblem 7 or 8. I have a very basic story and character ideas laid out already, and mostly just need a coder to get things started!

The story, in short:

The air in Gensokyo has been frozen in time, causing those who fly to tumble to the ground. The culprit is unknown, and it is up to either the players choice of the SDM storyline or the Reimu storyline to figure out who is behind this and stop them.

The SDM's storyline involves them originally traveling to Sanae's shrine to see whats up, and Sakuya being the pinned culprit behind all this by Sanae, but is later dismissed when Sakuya climbs the Mountain to talk to Kanako, where she enlists for the Scarlet Devil Mansion's aid to her dismay. The SDM only agrees after Aya produces some blackmail she has.

Reimu's story starts out as her tumbling to the ground while flying back to her shrine, only to find it muddled with when she returns. Reimu originally suspects Suika, but quickly notices some aggressors approaching, saying that the cause of the frozen air is emitting from her shrine. Reimu has been framed as the culprit, and must find the REAL mastermind while she is hunted.

Obviously, the storys will mix at one point, but they will unravel and each side will have its own end boss and end story.
An 'Extra' mode is an idea after both stories had been cleared, but I haven't worked this out yet.

I can design basic maps, character growths / stats, and character classes. As well as provide story and which characters are present. I just need a coder for now to get the project on its feet and a sprite artist later on. Although any help would be appreciated!  As I was also planning the game to be in both Japanese and English (Similar to Super Metroid), I will also need a translator later on. And a sprite artist early on would be a great help

Also, if someone could think of a name better then Air Emblem, you will be thanked and remembered for your help!

EDIT:
Thanks to RuneDevros of the Story of a Lost Sky project, we have an engine to work with.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:08:31 AM by blazzeboy »

Re: Air Emblem, a cross of Touhou and Fire Emblem.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
This sounds like a really good idea. I can't really provide any coding or spriting support, but I think there was already a doujin game, East Emblem, that attempted the same thing. Maybe that would be a good place to look for inspiration. Either way, it's nice to see more activity after Gensoublazer died out.

RuneDevros

• Professor Dr. Momoneko-sama
    • Lost Sky Project
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
Hi!

We're working on Story of a Lost Sky, a Touhou SRPG. Hit me up if you would like to chat about your project.

Since our game is open source and licensed under BSD, feel free to use the source code of our project as a starting point.

1.0.0 is here (2/13/14) |  My Twitter | My Tumblr

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:02:44 AM »
This sounds like a really good idea. I can't really provide any coding or spriting support, but I think there was already a doujin game, East Emblem, that attempted the same thing. Maybe that would be a good place to look for inspiration. Either way, it's nice to see more activity after Gensoublazer died out.

I found a video of the East Emblem game, it seems promising, but it was looking 3dish and had no real enemies besides the little fuzzies I see in all fangames.
I was thinking for a much more 2d minimap, very similar to fire emblem, with only the attack animations being complicated.

As for enemies, I was going to use nameless fairys for the most part, with an occasional youkai or even doll of a player character.
There likely won't be much on the field recruitment, seeing as how it would be hard to tear someone like Youmu away from Yuyuko, but I can try with certain characters.

This was also going to be english based, thou I am planning, as I said before, a japanese option so the whole fanbase may enjoy it.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and make a list of jobs I need fulfilled by people.

• Music
  • Sound
  • Sprite Work
  • Map Sprite Work
  • Test Players (Much later on in the project, as of right now there isn't anything to testplay.)
  • An English to Japanese translator
  • Concept Art / Scene Art
  • Programmer / Coder

I'll strike these out as these are filled, I really hope more people take interest in this! Even just support can help show interest which is great.

EDIT:
Hi!

We're working on Story of a Lost Sky, a Touhou SRPG. Hit me up if you would like to chat about your project.

Since our game is open source and licensed under BSD, feel free to use the source code of our project as a starting point.

Thank you! That is very helpful. I will include the engine in the OP so that I may recruit someone who knows how to work with it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:10:25 AM by blazzeboy »

RuneDevros

• Professor Dr. Momoneko-sama
    • Lost Sky Project
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:17:33 AM »
As far as I know, you'll be the first to fork our game. You'll want to look for proficient Python programmers, since that's what our game is written in. I want to let you know that our engine, while it is a lot more stable than it was a couple years ago when we were still hard at work, still receives periodic updates.

We have some documentation for our internal development team that you might find useful as well.

1.0.0 is here (2/13/14) |  My Twitter | My Tumblr

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:23:48 AM »
As far as I know, you'll be the first to fork our game. You'll want to look for proficient Python programmers, since that's what our game is written in. I want to let you know that our engine, while it is a lot more stable than it was a couple years ago when we were still hard at work, still receives periodic updates.

We have some documentation for our internal development team that you might find useful as well.

All right, again, thank you. This is very helpful to get this project on its feet. I'll do my best to make sure the end product is a very different game, just within the same genre.

Kimidori

• Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:41:34 AM »
Anyway, I'll go ahead and make a list of jobs I need fulfilled by people.

• Music
  • Sound
  • Sprite Work
  • Map Sprite Work
  • Test Players (Much later on in the project, as of right now there isn't anything to testplay.)
  • An English to Japanese translator
  • Concept Art / Scene Art
  • Programmer / Coder

I think that a bit too much jobs to ask of other to do for you for free, you should try to fit at least one of them.

"No matter what, cute is justice. If you're watching shows without moe, you should really be questioning your life decisions. The creation of 2D anime girls is the pinnacle of human achievement." -Logan M

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:26:45 AM »
I think that a bit too much jobs to ask of other to do for you for free, you should try to fit at least one of them.

Thats true, I was going to test play anyway likely design the sounds, but it doesn't hurt to list more then what you need, since there may be people who can do something or want to help in some way.