Author Topic: Touhou real hitbox patch  (Read 30384 times)

Touhou real hitbox patch
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »
I made a patch that changes the size of bullets for an approximate match the size of their actual hitbox (usually real hitboxes two to three times smaller in radius than the visible). The patch greatly enchances the game in motion, because it helps to see clearly on the stages and it no longer becomes neccessary to shy away from the safe edges of bullets.  I did an intial test for myself, and with it I beat 4 extras, 2 hards and phantasm.

The patch is available for all windows shmups, including photoshooters and ISC. The patch is made only for the English versions of the game, not for the Japanese, but everyone can make Japanese and other languages versions of the patch (see below). To install the patch, download the archive from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywWLeeGhobmWTd0blkwcGlFamM and replace the .dat file in the game folder. UPD: for DDC and for ISC, there is another way: Place "bullet" folder into the "thcrap\thpatch\lang_[yourlang]\th14(3)" folder. Inside the dat file change only the etama.anm/bullet.anm file, which contains the bullet sprites. These files for all the games are located in the /src folder and can be used to implement a patch to other localizations. For EoSD there are 2 versions of the patch: for standard and graphically enhanced versions. For EoSD and MoF there are versions of the patch for the Russian localization (so EoSD have 4 versions of the patch).

In very rare cases (I know only two examples: Kisume spellcard and first Kanako spellcard) this patch causes the following problem: spellcard is used heavily magnified images of conventional bullets (white and orange), so with the patch, these elements are apparently sized smaller than the true hitbox, so be careful. In addition, due to a Touhou Toolkit bug with handling english dat-file of PoFV, when it is built partly used files from the Japanese version the endings will be in Japanese.

The patch was made using Touhou Toolkit (http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Game_Tools_and_Modifications#Touhou_Toolkit) and TKTK GUI (http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15119.html), thanks to their authors.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:48:33 PM by sibgamer »
Easy: PoDD, FW, LoLK
Normal: SoEW, UFO, HSiFS
Hard: LLS, MS, EoSD, PoFW, MoF, SA, TD, DDC
Lunatic: PCB, IN
Extra: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, HSiFS; Phantasm

Re: Touhou real hitbox patch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
Thanks for finally posting this. :D

By the way, the MEGA folder won't show anything. :(

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:56:18 PM »
Just putting this out there - should go without saying, but please don't submit any scores made while using this mod to the high score board. Thanks!
Let's fight.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Just putting this out there - should go without saying, but please don't submit any scores made while using this mod to the high score board. Thanks!

Thanks for being the first to point this out. Well, that's pretty much common sense. And everyone being aware of a existence of such tool will make it harder to cheat with it or similar things, while also making it more accessible to whoever wants to use it for personal fun or hitbox understanding instead of taking competitive advantage against others, similarly to EoSD Hitbox patch. (Just leaving that here for whoever is like hurr this is cheating it shouldn't be published. Whoever's like that is invited to not use it and leave.)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »
By the way, the MEGA folder won't show anything. :(
Yes, I don't know why the folder is not available (before I put there only single files, and they download fine). While uploaded to the archive at googledisc: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BywWLeeGhobmQjctWnEyQlVDWDg/edit

UPD: looks like this link works: https://mega.co.nz/#F!GUxQEIIS!Wba2_1ne-tkzFoPDUGQvTg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:29:25 PM by sibgamer »

Drake

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:01 PM »
By the way, it will become obvious to more experienced players when you're using these patches in replays. I've done this before, and it makes a significant difference in how your play will look.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:53 PM »
omg cheater! snowball em! snowball!!

Seriously, that's a cool idea!
Though I find drake's post hard to believe, I haven't played a shmup for awhile due to new keyboard woes but I'm pretty sure I confidently grazed past bullets REAL hitboxes anyway all the time...
except maybe knife bullets, those suckers I don't dare ignoring their graphic for even though I know their hitbox is nothing at all like the graphic. I just could never really guess what it really was.

Oh yeah, and those little bullets suwako shot were way too unforgiving too.

Drake

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »
Though I find drake's post hard to believe, I haven't played a shmup for awhile due to new keyboard woes but I'm pretty sure I confidently grazed past bullets REAL hitboxes anyway all the time...
It's the consistency, not the fact that close dodges happen. When players call out cheating, it isn't because something weird happens, but because there's either consistent odd behaviour, or because there's inconsistent player behaviour along with odd behaviour. I remember a while ago somebody made a bunch of replays in IN spell practice with the intent to see if people could distinguish "cheating" movements with "just wacky" movements, but as was noted at the time, it doesn't matter much if people see weird movements and dodges, it takes more data to see a trend or a break in trend.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »
Basically, if your dodges are too close/you don't know with much precision the length of the original bullet, it will look fishy. e.g making a not-really-impressive run on EoSD Extra that you manage to microcap Maze of Love, or confidently making it through a Sakuya's wall on EoSD stage 6 when having bombs in stock, will likely lead people to assume you use visible hitbox patch. Because of that, having both the hitbox-reduced bullet with the original-sized bullet behind it but translucent would give a better idea of where to "avoid getting close to look more legit" and where "you should not touch by any mean or else you'll die", but that'd just make the work bigger and make the bad cheaters' life easier.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:24:16 AM by Wriggle »

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
About cheating. Of course, I made this patch not for cheater's highscore runs, but for players withn't very high skill, like me, that they were able to pass normals/extras/hards. The idea of this patch came to me on one of Yugi spellcards, where the big blue balls rapidly falls on the diagonal, making it difficult to find the borders of their real hitboxes. And I agree that the run using all the features of this patch to be far different from the usual: for example, it is easy to pass through the Sakuya's kunai walls (http://dobrochan.com/to/res/36670.xhtml#i38264), Mononobe's nonspells arrow walls or "spellcard's" walls on Kanako's lastspell.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »
About cheating. Of course, I made this patch not for cheater's highscore runs, but for players withn't very high skill, like me, that they were able to pass normals/extras/hards. The idea of this patch came to me on one of Yugi spellcards, where the big blue balls rapidly falls on the diagonal, making it difficult to find the borders of their real hitboxes. And I agree that the run using all the features of this patch to be far different from the usual: for example, it is easy to pass through the Sakuya's kunai walls (http://dobrochan.com/to/res/36670.xhtml#i38264), Mononobe's nonspells arrow walls or "spellcard's" walls on Kanako's lastspell.

Oh don't worry. it's super cool tool. Using it to brag highscores is cheating yes, but I still think it's a solid contribution!

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 11:42:22 PM »
When I put files to download it stays "pending" forever. I don't know if the server is overloaded and I'm on some kind of hidden queue or the problem's here, but it has been pending for a loooooong time.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 04:44:21 AM »
A strange problem, perhaps due to the fact that I first downloaded to MEGA folder instead of a single file. Now I zipped the entire folder to the archive and uploaded it, it would download properly: https://mega.co.nz/#!bIwlRC6L!dmF-RGYiIifMdV8a0wGljRNCnEpTLVQi70Qa58FPL30 . In addition, in the fourth message I gave a link to a file on google disc (but there is an older version).

At the same time updated the patch, adding reduced lasers (Toramaru, Yoshika+Seiga...)

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 02:27:05 AM »
This made the game a bit harder, since the hitbox is small  :V
But I did get past bosses easily.
Cookie to you for making this~

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 02:35:56 AM »
Sorry for necro.

Is there anyway for you to update this to DDC and ISC? Those butterflies are incredibly annoying.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 05:41:39 AM »
Is there anyway for you to update this to DDC and ISC?
DDC version exists, I made it at August 2013. It's designed to work with thcrap and is a folder named "bullet", which should be placed into the path "thcrap\thpatch\lang_[yourlang]\th14\bullet". Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywWLeeGhobmME9PX3FpejJiYWs/view

I didn't create an ISC version, but can do it, it does take a bit to correct DDC version.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks! I'll be waiting for the ISC version.

Smaller bullets makes it harder to see, but it shows more gaps in the bullets...
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 10:57:03 PM »
ISC version finished. Also I fix a little bug in GFW bulletsprites file and rebuild the full pack. ISC version of patch installs same as DDC: place "bullet" folder into the "thcrap\thpatch\lang_[yourlang]\th143" folder. If someone needs, I can create thcrap-based, not dat files replacement based, versions of patch for other games. Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywWLeeGhobmRVU1OUM5UGFGajg/view

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 03:37:13 PM »
Thank you for reply, Sibgamer.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:54:13 AM by Translator »

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 07:28:17 PM »
Thcrap is a translation patcher, https://thpatch.net/wiki/Touhou_Community_Reliant_Automatic_Patcher. It replaces game resources in memory, which facilitates replacement of bullet sprites files. AFAIK english translation for DDC and ISC were implemented only via thcrap, not via separate dat file as before. I will try to create DDC/ISC patched dat files, for those who play original Japanese version.

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 02:24:14 AM »
Great work!  Have you ever thought of making your own patch repository in thpatch and making this selectable as its own patch?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 03:53:09 AM »
You know, I can't help but feel that doing this to ISC has defeated the point of the game. -_-

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 04:34:12 AM »
That's what cheating does usually.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »
Patch updated: added dat files for 14 and 143 games, now you can run this patch without thcrap. Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywWLeeGhobmWTd0blkwcGlFamM

Great work!  Have you ever thought of making your own patch repository in thpatch and making this selectable as its own patch?

I'm not sure that the thcrap owners want to include such patch into thcrap repository. As you can see above, many people believe that it's cheating.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:13:45 PM by sibgamer »

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:49 AM »
I don't think they would mind, considering they have a "skip game" patch that skips all stage segments (granted, that is supposed to be used for proofreading translation).  Maybe you can ask them?

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 09:43:30 PM »
DTM, the described procedure is rather difficult, also as far as I've understood third-party patches should be located at their own servers, and I don't have one. I don't object to adding this patch to the thcrap (and even would be happy if someone does it), but I am hardly going to do it.

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 04:29:11 PM »
[Update]

Patch has been added to the repository for everyone to enjoy!
Thank you for your contribution~