Author Topic: Animethon 20 - photo dump inside!  (Read 11692 times)

Animethon 20 - photo dump inside!
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:39:27 PM »
So I have spent the weekend on holiday at Animethon in Edmonton, which is celebrating its twentieth year as one of Canada's longest running conventions.

I got in on Friday after a few hours' ride; it was a bit bumpy, but it could have been worse, given that we just barely avoided severe delays on the highway.

This was the first cosplay I got a picture of, just after picking up my pass. I really should watch Gravity Falls.

This amazing Pluto was one of the many cosplayers on the front lawn of the college campus where the con was going on; I would get many more photos here over the weekend. Also out front was a locally-renowned hot dog vendor, so I decided to pick up lunch since it was about time for it.

Right off the bat the Touhou cosplayers were out in full force. I had some decent conversation asking about the more technical details of the costumes.

Alice Swagatroid. I actually lent her my sunglasses for this shot; we hung out a lot during the con, and she seems like a pretty fun person.

The aforementioned Alice, along with a Shou and a Momi; these three ran many of the Touhou panels that were going on at the con. They also got to be photographed by someone from one of the city newspapers (unfortunately it's the Sun, and anything called the Sun tends to be crap)

Byakuren and Shou.

Ran. Surprisingly, she said the tails were not the hardest part of this costume (even though they were time-consuming), but the frills. This girl's a regular in the local Touhou scene, and I love the work she puts into her cosplay (including her previous EX-Keine and Cirno)

K-On girls.

Sailor V. There was a pretty good turnout for Sailor Moon cosplayers, plus a panel hosted by a collector showing off the vast amounts of merchandise out there... and promptly crushing our dreams of ever owning any of it.

The same Utsuho from last year, sans the presumably damaged-beyond-repair Third Leg. I wonder if it's any easier for her to get through doorways this time around...

Marisa.

Group shot.

M-m-mikuru beeeeeeeaaaaaammmm

Sailor Saturn. I saw another one with the scythe, but I weren't sure if they were the same person and I kind of neglected to get a picture...

Finn and Fiona, I believe? I'm not quite up to speed on Adventure Time.

Fiona and Deadpool.

Haruhi in her outfit from the Day of Sagittarius episode.

Inuyasha and... I think that's a Pikachu-styled outfit? Not sure.

snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Lucy and Erza from Fairy Tail.

One of several Kenshin cosplayers at the con.

This guy's Magnet Man cosplay was totally awesome. I talked to him for a bit, and he said his alternate choice was Metal Man.

A Reimu cosplayer. From a distance he was very, very convincing, and even after getting up close and hearing him speak I still wasn't sure.

Sakuya. She came up from Washington state with her fiancee, who was the previously-mentioned Reimu. They would swap costumes on the following day.

Ran and Sakuya.

The Alice from earlier and her friend dressed as Marisa, taken just prior to the PoFV tournament. I wound up knocked out in the first round, while Alice made the top three.

After coming out from the tournament, I saw this in the lobby; a few SnK cosplayers had somehow had the timing to cross paths with a Titan cosplayer, and this photo happened.

A very nicely done Saber.

I got a photo of these two on my way out of the vendor's hall; I found myself a 20th anniversary Sonic Nendoroid plus a few other things.

A trio of Madoka cosplayers. I love the coordination and the consistency of the costumes here.

Group shot of most of the Touhou cosplayers taken in the evening. There was a larger organized photoshoot at another point in the day, but I wasn't aware of what time it was.

I found myself fairly worn out after the first day, so I rode back to the hotel and collapsed into bed.

More photos will be on the way as I can find the time to work on them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:30:41 PM by Hard Tack »

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
Re: Animethon 20 - photo dump inside!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »
Unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures because no camera :v.

But for real, I'll actually try harder (not to get sick) to make a cosplay next year instead of resorting to my kyouma labcoat. also I should probably get contacts

Had a bunch of spoils, some nice touhou pins and a madoka shirt.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
Well, I have Saturday's photos ready, so here we go.

The day started pretty bright and early; the hotel had a complimentary breakfast buffet, so I got myself some scrambled eggs, toast, and sausage before heading out.

This was the first picture I manage to get after I arrived. There were a lot of amazing SnK cosplays, more than I was able to photograph.

There were around 7000 people at the convention over the weekend. I'm willing to bet that at least 1000 of them were Homestuck cosplayers.

Officer Jenny. If you look closely at her badge she's actually one of the con execs.

Skyward Sword cosplay group.

An amazing, AMAZING Maleficent.

Matsuoka Goh from Free!

The Alice from yesterday, now in PC-98. She was carrying a rather large, sugary lollipop around and jokingly menacing people with it. I was amused. This was taken just prior to the Touhou trivia contest and panel, which were fun to attend.

The guy who cosplayed Momiji the day prior, this time dressed as one of the numerous fabulous characters from JJBA.

Marth.

TF Prime Bumblebee and Soundwave. The Soundwave cosplayer even had a little Laserbeak plushie, which amused me greatly.

Minako, with a little Artemis plushie.

Jupiter.

Shot of both.

After coming back from lunch, I came past this guy dressed as Oak. His little board is to keep track of which starter everybody picks; I chose Bulbasaur.

Ed and Al.

Asuna and Miku.

The Hello Kitty Samurai, and I'm not sure who the other cosplayer is supposed to be.

A fantastic Pegasus, but I wish I took this picture somewhere else so I could get a better shot.

Super Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask.

Nurse Joy, Brock, and I don't know where that guy in the middle came from.

The convention attracts a lot of other people interested in Japanese pop culture, like people into the formal/dress wear.

Another Mami cosplayer. I like the hat and hair here, even if it might not be completely 100% accurate. I don't mind artistic license being taken with a character if it looks good.

Horo. I'm not sure if those are actual reeds or not.

Crowd shot taken from Lucas Gilbertson's Q&A panel (he's in the middle with the Zero plushie.). He is amazingly chill, embracing his audience and handing out free stuff like Cardfight Vanguard decks.

A very nice Sailor Mars, and I think that's Snake Eyes in the back attempting to photobomb.

Some CCS characters. There were a lot of nice CLAMP cosplays and I wish I'd taken more photos.

Another Kyouko.

FFVII cosplay group. I'm blown away with just how lucky the angle and lighting on this shot were.

Another Mami.

Bayonetta. I only got the one take since it seemed she was straining herself to hold that pose.

A maid and on the right is apparently Mato from Black Rock Shooter.

A Madoka.

The four different Links from Four Swords.

Rave-style Stocking. There were dance parties on Friday and Saturday night, but I didn't go, partly because I didn't know anybody else who was going and partly because my feet were utterly killing me. It was only afterward I realized the new shoes I bought a week ago were too small for my toes.

Kenshin and Sano.

This was the last photo I took before going to the 404s' improv show. Wes (the funny one) fell over and accidentally hit his head on a wall, but because he is Wes and totally awesome he recovered within 5 minutes and was back on stage for the rest of the show. The wall... was not so fortunate.

Princess Belle. This and the last few photos of the day were taken in the evening, which is why it appears darker outside now.

This guy's name is apparently "Chester". I was rather amused at the concept for this character.

I was hanging out with a bunch of the Touhou cosplayers outside after the main building was locked up for the night, and shenanigans ensued.

Further shenanigans.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 03:43:01 AM by Hard Tack »

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:01 AM »
Day 3 started a lot like Day 2, but with a lot more foot pain. I got some bandages from one of the vending machines in the hotel and used them to patch up my feet, before going for breakfast buffet. They had these neat self-serve things where you dispensed a cup of batter and poured it into an iron to make your own Belgian waffle, so I had that alongside some bacon and eggs before heading out again.

Early Sunday wasn't very busy compared to early Saturday, but there were still quite a few cosplayers to take a picture of, like this Touko.

I love the hair on this Kotetsu crossplayer, along with the sash.

Someone from Black Butler, whose name escapes me. Cosplayers really seem to flock to that series.

Junko from Dangan Ronpa/Danger Roomba/Dangit Ronpaul/insert funny name here.

Raven from Teen Titans.

Luka. I wasn't able to get it in the picture, but the sides of her headset looked like they were lit up; I'm not sure if it was actual lights or just really good use of paint.

Rin and Archer. I really wish I took this somewhere else because the sun really didn't cooperate with the shot.

I actually quite like this Jupiter cosplay. Her body type seems to work really well with the costume and the character.

More Gravity Falls.

This is apparently from Guild Wars 2. I am very impressed with the bow.

A character from Pandora Hearts in a maid uniform.

A girl dressed up in the To Heart uniform, and not Lucky Star as I initially presumed. Wait, To Heart had other characters besides Tamaki?

The Princess from Penguindrum.

Two characters from FF13 whose names escape me. I think they're Snow and Fang?

This other Black Butler cosplay was attracting a lot of attention, and it looked like there were some professional photographers getting shots (or at least people with really, really fancy cameras)

Group shot of several FF cosplayers.

Haruko from FLCL.

17 and 18 from DBZ.

A group of maids. I don't know if the pink one's particularly special or she just wanted a different color.

Another Homura.

Eren from SnK.

Saber again.

I think this is Rin Kagamine in one of her alt outfits? I admittedly can't keep track of them all.

Another Saber and Rin.

A Dark Souls cosplay.

Night Vale cosplay. That was fast.

Ryoji from Persona 3. Apparently she cosplayed the Soundwave from Saturday.

Starfire and the Raven from earlier.

MECHAZAWA.

Lightning from FF13. There seem to be a lot of high-quality cosplays of this character.

Mononoke-hime, apparently. I didn't recognize the character, but she was with the Lightning cosplayer so I thought it was unfair to not get a picture.

Another Madoka.

There was a Light cosplayer carrying a bag of chips around, so this happened. But hold on, aren't Doritos corn chips?

This Lucy was the last picture I was able to get before closing ceremonies started.

For once, closing ceremonies didn't seem to run overtime, and I was out and on the road for home by 6:15. The roads weren't to busy, so it wasn't too much trouble to get home. Overall, I had a great time and I'm looking forward to next year already.

If anybody has any questions or comments, feel free to fire away.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:46:57 AM by Hard Tack »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:07:59 AM »
Those are some amazing cosplays! I think the Alice cosplayer was my favorite. The Shanghai doll sealed the deal. :3c

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
That Haruhi is from the RTS episode of season 1, right? There was the shot of Haruhi in her virtual battle ship.

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:45:57 PM »
Dat Komachi's bod... Dat Alice's swag...! Dat doll-faced Reimu who's actually a dude~! My hype for my upcoming trip to Montreal this weekend is now rocking my brain so hard that it's about to crack off its stem and launch itself from my skull into outer-fraking-space~! :o

(Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I'm not lying at all when I say that these are some dang-fine Touhous seen here.)

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:47:28 AM »
Yukata Saber and Rin are pretty sweet. I love it when people cosplay established characters, because then they get to embellish their costumes or put really creative spins on the concepts they're representing.

Very nice collection!