Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character released!  (Read 186978 times)

Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character released!
« Reply #630 on: September 05, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »
SakuyaA was my first to clear extra with. Curving electric bullets brought back memories of Iku...but Raiko doesn't overdo curving lasers, thankfully. For the first spell with these lasers, if you dodge the first wave of lasers, you tend to dodge the second set without moving much, given you are towards the bottom of the screen. Just be wary of the eye-bleeding Miko bullets. The second card with the lasers requires some foresight, since the lasers increase in number per wave. It is really easy to overlook a laser or two in the later stages of the attack, and the blinding bullets don't help. Just be extra careful dealing with those, since you can practice them all day, but in a real run, you are many times more likely to make a mistake.

Can't say I'd be too thrilled on another Phantasmagoria. I barely played the other two. But wouldn't the pattern be 3>9>18? It took the third game for the first one to come out, then 6 more for the next, so 9 for the next one. Like how Marisa was a stage 4 boss for 2>4>8>(theoretically) 16. Mathematical patterns aside, I think it is probably best to wait and see what ZUN has planned, (or is going to plan) otherwise these sequences are going to have us waiting forever for another "x" game.

« Reply #631 on: September 05, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »
Hm, btw, talking about English versions. Maybe it's doesn't really matter at this moment and my suggestion is stupid but anyway.
There is a thpatch English version of the translation which quite a lot of people here don't really like (mostly due to "translation is bad" and "I can't trust some shady auto-updating program") and we have a touhouwiki translation which is considered to be the best one, right? So, my suggestion:

• Get thpatch, install it, take a look at really easy to read files and swap the translation with the one from touhouwiki
  • Delete thcrap_update.dll file which is responsible for updating from the thpatch wiki
  • Enjoy the game with touhouwiki translation and be safe from auto-updates!

The only "really difficult" part of it is image translation but actually it's not so much to do, I think. No one really knows when (and if ever) there will be the "official" translation of DDC.
What do you think about it?
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #632 on: September 05, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »
Given this iniciattive, I hardly doubt guys at Gensokyo.org will involve in further patches, assuming they are not involved in this one already.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #633 on: September 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
The only "really difficult" part of it is image translation but actually it's not so much to do, I think. No one really knows when (and if ever) there will be the "official" translation of DDC.
What do you think about it?
This is kind of a non-starter for me. I can't see myself installing an incomplete patch. I disagree that "no one really knows"; all the information is out there, it just needs to be put into the patch. Previous games show this can be done. And when it is, then I'll try this thing, and if it looks good, I'll then delete all the online-access files for it.

Other people can leave the autoupdate stuff in there, if they want a patch that changes with whatever wiki pages for DDC get edited at points in the future. If you want that feature, I think that's totally fine. But for me, installing an English patch requires, at the very least, that the whole game has been English patched.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:46:28 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #634 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:36 AM »
This is kind of a non-starter for me. I can't see myself installing an incomplete patch. I disagree that "no one really knows"; all the information is out there, it just needs to be put into the patch. Previous games show this can be done. And when it is, then I'll try this thing, and if it looks good, I'll then delete all the online-access files for it.

Other people can leave the autoupdate stuff in there, if they want a patch that changes with whatever wiki pages for DDC get edited at points in the future. If you want that feature, I think that's totally fine. But for me, installing an English patch requires, at the very least, that the whole game has been English patched.
Not sure that I got the point of what you meant. My thought, in short, is "if you what something - give it a try to do it yourself". There are tools to make it possible (thpatch) and they're easy to use (all text data is open for manual modification), and there are the data which is needed to be put into. Simple and... clear.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Tengukami

« Reply #635 on: September 06, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
Well, you asked what we thought. So that's my thought: I don't install incomplete patches - they can and have been completed before, and whenever this one's complete, I may try it out, and stay offline. I also said people are free to leave the autoupdate on. Just giving you the input you asked for.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #636 on: September 06, 2013, 01:26:30 AM »
Given this iniciattive, I hardly doubt guys at Gensokyo.org will involve in further patches, assuming they are not involved in this one already.

They've still yet to update their archive. I'm still waiting warmly.  :)

« Reply #637 on: September 06, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »
Well, you asked what we thought. So that's my thought: I don't install incomplete patches - they can and have been completed before, and whenever this one's complete, I may try it out, and stay offline. I also said people are free to leave the autoupdate on. Just giving you the input you asked for.
Ah, this. Well, ok. Actually I didn't really expect that anyone would support this idea.
I just have a feeling that a lot of people feels that Gensokyo has an obligation to make translation, while (I just guess) they didn't promise that they would do it for all future touhou games. There may be valid reasons to stop doing that at some point and it's their right to do so. In the end, everyone waits for something that may never happen and don't try to do it themselves. The reason why I feel that it's a possible scenario is that the replay archive still wasn't updated to support DDC, like I and Minogame earlier mentioned. I don't know for sure but it looks like it can be fixed within an hour but still it wasn't done.
...Whatever. I guess my talking was quite annoying and unreasonable. I just had a terrible day so I could say something harsh though I didn't plan to be mean.

Tengukami

Re: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character released!
« Reply #638 on: September 06, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »
No, you didn't sound mean. And I'm not waiting exclusively for gensokyo.org, either. I don't care if the president of Syria makes a patch for DDC: I will try any -complete- patch. There just isn't one yet, unfortunately.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #639 on: September 06, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
It's been a while since the auto-updating patch got a complete DDC translation, endings, spellcards and music room included, y'know?  :derp:

« Reply #640 on: September 06, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
It's been a while since the auto-updating patch got a complete DDC translation, endings, spellcards and music room included, y'know?  :derp:
If the auto-updating patch already supports translation of endings, spellcards and music room (I didn't check it thoroughly but I have a feeling that it does), and TW has translation for the whole game then it's just a matter of time and efforts of several guys to inject the TW text into thpatch. If it doesn't support something then that's another story and my suggestion is invalid and I'm sorry :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:05:26 AM by Vectorfish »

« Reply #641 on: September 06, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
I think the auto-patch's already complete, at least for DDC. They even got the custom.exe file covered.

Tengukami

Re: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character released!
« Reply #642 on: September 06, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
Then I'll have to try it and, if it is complete and competent, delete the autoupdate stuff. Don't need a patch that goes online.

« Reply #643 on: September 06, 2013, 01:18:20 PM »
I've just reread what you posted and noticed that I understood it in a wrong way :)
And it seems that pretty much the whole translation is based on the one from touhouwiki now.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #644 on: September 06, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »
Well, there are still some differences. The one that I notice the most would be when talking with Sukuna, on Reimu Scenario, Sukuna's mallet is reffered as the "Uchide's Mallet", in Marisa Scenario, is the "Lucky Mallet" and in Sakuya's, "Miracle Mallet"*  Nothing that bad, but still...

*DISCLAIMER: The way the mallet is called might be different since I can't recall correctly which one refer to it as that.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
Yep, that's why I added "pretty much". Something like 95% of the text I saw was completely the same with some little differences.

« Reply #646 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:34 PM »
The auto-updating patch didn't work for me. Installed it and everything, then went to play the game, and nothing was translated. Not to mention several crashes trying to get it to even work.
So I'm just going to wait (and pray) that the usual english patch will come out.

« Reply #647 on: September 07, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
It sounds like if you didn't choose to add English support. If you did, you suppose to have base_tsa and lang_en folders in thpatch directory of the patch.

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #648 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:54 PM »
This game still lags on stage 3 like it did in the demo & lags at the start of stage 4, if it wasn't for this I would have unlocked extra by now most likely.  I enjoyed what I was able to play which sadly didn't even include the Stage 6 Boss.  I can play every other game just fine but this one just has to find a way to lag at the mentioned points in the game.  Stage 5 Boss I will get used to with time, the reversing up & down or left & right thing wasn't as fatal as I feared it would be when I discovered it was happening.  Stage 4 Boss will need the most practice for me as one of the spells that require you to in a speak of words play jump rope, going through the rows of notes coming from each direction was the harder of the spells I have seen throughout the game.  Stages 1-3 all together was easy(especially with Sakuya's Red Text Shot Type) & if it wasn't for lag here & there throughout entire stage 3 would have went pretty much perfectly.  Music seems to feel a bit like rehashed themes with a twist here & there atm so I hope another update is made to this game cause I pretty much can't beat the game due to having to guess when & when it isn't lag spiking for whatever reason(mainly on Stage 3).  Marisa Yellow Text Shot Type is utterly inferior to her Red Text one in every way & is slightly either worst or better in Sakuya's case but for Reimu I much prefer her Yellow Text Shot Type over the Red Text one.  Sakuya's Red Text Shot Type is clearly imo the top Shot Type of the 6 without question though...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Mind posting (or, failing that, PMing me) your basic system specs? The game still lags for me a bit, but only on Lunatic. The thing is, the same happens in TD. Does it lag for you? I'd like to compare performance.

« Reply #650 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:06 AM »
I had the same problem, but I set the fps to 1/2 and it fixed it. Not sure if that's the best solution, but it becomes playable at least.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #651 on: September 11, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »
Tried it, but the drop in smoothness was not worth it, and decided that a bearable frame drop during select few attacks isn't something all that serious.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #652 on: September 15, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but the arrow bullets on Seija's penultimate spell card: Reverse Bow "Dream Bow of Heaven & Earth"  pierce through Marisa B's bomb, making it potentially fatal if you reach it with multiple bombs in stock, as you cannot extend your invulnerability by bombing again until the bomb leaves the screen and sitting inside will not protect you. Plus the bomb makes it harder to see and dodge arrows.
Since the card is rather difficult and completely random, you might want to empty your stock on previous patterns and just attempt to capture it with no bombs.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:00:18 PM by Critz »

« Reply #653 on: September 15, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but the arrow bullets on Seija's penultimate spell card: Reverse Bow "Dream Bow of Heaven & Earth"  pierce through Marisa B's bomb, making it potentially fatal if you reach it with multiple bombs in stock, as you cannot extend your invulnerability by bombing again until the bomb leaves the screen and sitting inside will not protect you. Plus the bomb makes it harder to see and dodge arrows.
Since the card is rather difficult and completely random, you might want to empty your stock on previous patterns and just attempt to capture it with no bombs.
In the card, the arrows fly through the screen multiple times, warping from the top to the bottom, with increasing speed. If the arrows are destroyed, it will ruin the card for a long time. So, the arrows are made to be indestructible, which make it difficult to bomb through by MarisaB.

« Reply #654 on: September 15, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »
Also worth mentioning is that Sukuna's 5th spellcard, Wall of Issun, (Not too comfortable with the English names until I get the official translation...but that's just me) also has non-erasable bullets. The walls cannot be canceled by a bomb, but the blue/red orbs can be. While this works as a normal bomb would for MarisaB and clears those orbs, the effect is interesting for SakuyaB. Her bomb will not stop Sukuna from shooting more waves, but they will stay in place for the bomb's duration. This creates real walls in the spellcard that are impossible to dodge depending on how fast she's shooting them, unless you pass through the waves before the bomb's invulnerability wears off.

« Reply #655 on: September 26, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »
This has been bugging me for a bit now: Is it just me, or is Flying Head "Dullahan Night" actually easier on Lunatic than on Hard? I seem to randomly get walled in on Hard, but on Lunatic, it rarely causes a problem because the bullets clear out faster.

« Reply #656 on: September 26, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
Is it just me, or is Flying Head "Dullahan Night" actually easier on Lunatic than on Hard?

Sekibanki's spells become even easier? There must be a law against that.

From my experience, Hard still feels below Lunatic, but not by much. However, I think the Normal version tops Hard and Lunatic, because the lasers don't cross on your position, which takes up more space in between the lanes. And then the temptation to stand still to graze the lasers kicks in...so I risk much more in Normal than the higher difficulties.

...But it's all still relatively simple.