Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character released!  (Read 186749 times)

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character released!
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 05:28:42 PM »
Did anyone notice how the Stage 4 themes sound suspiciously
Spoiler:
PC-98ish
?

e: OH GOD
Spoiler:
YATSUHASHI'S SECOND SPELL
IS
Spoiler:
MIMA'S BOUNCING ATTACK, ONLY EASIER

SHE HAS RETURNED
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:32:14 PM by a cute doge »

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 05:31:47 PM »
@monhan [on the story] Actually, the recent translation of character bios make things interesting:
Spoiler:
It is true that Sukuna leads the rebellion. However, Seija is the true mastermind beind the incident. She enjoys doing stuff people hate and hates when her actions make people happy. She also wishes to turn Gensokyo upside down by making the weak rule the strong. Then she came across the mallet. Due the fact that only dwarves can use the mallet, she decided to manipulate Sukuna to start the rebellion by feeding her fake information about their past (in the past, the dwarves decided to use the Lucky Mallet who Isshu-Boshi forbitted to be used to live a luxury live and then built the "Shining Needle Castle" to rule others, but the castle went to the world of onis with the dwarves, due the fact that Lucky Mallet was created by the onis. They decided to seal the Lucky Mallet once again). The dwarves who knew their past had dissapeared and Sukuna had no idea about Lucky Mallet's existence so Seija had easy time to make it seem like the other youkais were the ones behind the downfall of dwarves.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
I really love the final boss' theme, I can't stop listening to it. 8DDD

BTW Does anyone know if they could unlock Extra mode in Easy mode? Honestly I'm not very good with Danmaku games. XD;

Just some weirdo, move along!

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:30 PM »
@monhan [on the story] Actually, the recent translation of character bios make things interesting:
Spoiler:
It is true that Sukuna leads the rebellion. However, Seija is the true mastermind beind the incident. She enjoys doing stuff people hate and hates when her actions make people happy. She also wishes to turn Gensokyo upside down by making the weak rule the strong. Then she came across the mallet. Due the fact that only dwarves can use the mallet, she decided to manipulate Sukuna to start the rebellion by feeding her fake information about their past (in the past, the dwarves decided to use the Lucky Mallet who Isshu-Boshi forbitted to be used to live a luxury live and then built the "Shining Needle Castle" to rule others, but the castle went to the world of onis with the dwarves, due the fact that Lucky Mallet was created by the onis. They decided to seal the Lucky Mallet once again). The dwarves who knew their past had dissapeared and Sukuna had no idea about Lucky Mallet's existence so Seija had easy time to make it seem like the other youkais were the ones behind the downfall of dwarves.
Interesting, no wonder she feels so shady in her dialog. I guess having the character profiles really helps make things clear. Another evil character enters the fray!
And I was wrong about how Raiko got her power. How can I figure that out without reading her profile!
Wonder if I should fix my post with this? But this will make it too specific since that were just from videos and all.

I really love the final boss' theme, I can't stop listening to it. 8DDD

BTW Does anyone know if they could unlock Extra mode in Easy mode? Honestly I'm not very good with Danmaku games. XD;
Seems like you could, as someone already did that here. It might be a bug or a mercy from ZUN.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:17:37 PM by monhan »

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:44 PM »
I'll wait for actual replays of Lunatic/Extra. It's nicer to watch them using the game.
Runatiku 1CC? Time to go to NicoNico then.

And ZUN stills lazy to fix glitches. The Hatate one in DS was lulz.
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
Interesting, no wonder she feels so shady in her dialog. I guess having the character profiles really helps make things clear.
Seems like you could, as someone already did that here. It might be a bug or a mercy from ZUN.
Ahh alright, thanks ;; I'm still pretty bad in Danmaku even on easy mode. I'll try to have a go soon! o/

Just some weirdo, move along!

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
Best Stage 5 theme ever!
Anyone agree?
Also my favorite theme in the game!

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
Runatiku 1CC? Time to go to NicoNico then.
It took me some time to understand what Runatiku means :)

Ahh alright, thanks ;; I'm still pretty bad in Danmaku even on easy mode. I'll try to have a go soon! o/
I'm terrible in danmakufu too but I managed to do at least blind (well, semi-blind, I played demo) 1cc run on Easy. You're likely to be fine.

Best Stage 5 theme ever!
Anyone agree?
The same. I like it a lot.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
Not true, i see 17 tracks... we got trolled

Ah, well that kinda sucks. I was looking forward to hearing more music. I feel like ZUN really outdid himself this time! I could listen to that Stage 5 theme for hours lol.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
So when are the
Spoiler:
"Nice Bowl"
jokes coming?

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
Best Stage 5 theme ever!
Anyone agree?
Agree. Stage 5 theme is awesome, like Seija.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:01 PM »
Well, my first impression is disappointment. Patterns are too chaotic, control-reversing and hitbox-enlarging gimmicks sound like very bad ideas for a danmaku game. I'm not really willing to pick this up anymore. But hey, I might just need to take some time to warm up to this game. Who knows.

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:45 PM »
The music in this game is awesome, as always!  Been saying that since the demo but the tracks in the later stages just get even better!

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Best Stage 5 theme ever!
Anyone agree?

One of the best on this soundtrack for sure. The extra boss theme rules too, and I love how the motif from the final boss theme is also in stage 6's theme.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »
Best Stage 5 theme ever!
Anyone agree?
Not the best stage 5 theme in my opinion, but it's  my favorite theme from this game as well.
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 06:10:03 PM »
Speculation time!
Spoiler:
It is said that the Lucky Mallet is the treasure of the oni that Issun-Boushi exterminated. Since the other Deva have their own treasure, each with a special power, and the Lucky Mallet is a magical treasure itself, could it be that the oni that owned the mallet was a possible Deva? Though I have my doubts since they said only dwarfs can use the mallet.
Anyway, he/she is dead now.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Well, my first impression is disappointment. Patterns are too chaotic, control-reversing and hitbox-enlarging gimmicks sound like very bad ideas for a danmaku game. I'm not really willing to pick this up anymore. But hey, I might just need to take some time to warm up to this game. Who knows.
ZUN is experimenting. Seija angered me with the flippin screen, but IN's Reisen angered me more with her red eyes.

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »
I think that were done on purpose, the overall theme of the game seems to be chaos after all.

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2013, 06:21:34 PM »
I find it unfair that enlarging spellcard makes hitbox bigger but doesn't actually increase graze field like it is shown.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
I finished it on Easy, and Extra didn't unlock for me. I used continues, though. Dunno if that matters or not towards unlocking Extra.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »
Best Stage 5 theme ever!
Anyone agree?
I'm partial to the stage 4 theme, myself.

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
I finished it on Easy, and Extra didn't unlock for me. I used continues, though. Dunno if that matters or not towards unlocking Extra.
Yes. You have to 1cc (no continues) the games to unlock Extra and get the "good" endings.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
Actually, it does matter. You have to clear the game without continuing.
Extra stages cleared : EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
I think the final boss, Sukuna Shinmyoumaru, is based on Japanese deity, Sukuna-Hikona no Mikoto since both characters are midget. I don't know much about both characters, can someone point out another similiarities? I can't find the deity's entry in the English wikipedia.

Some info about Sukuna-Hikona from SMT wiki (lol).
Sukuna-Hikona, or in full, Sukuna-Hikona No Kami, is the Japanese dwarf deity of healing and sake brewing and is associated with hot springs. He assisted Okuninushi in building the world and formulating protections against disease and wild animals in myths from the Izumo region.
He first arrived in Izumo in a small boat of bark and clad in goose skins. Later, he was picked up by Okuninushi, Sukuna-Hikona promptly bit him on the cheek. The two, nevertheless, became fast friends.

His shrine is located in Dosho-machi, Osaka.
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
Stage 4:
Spoiler:
SO MANY FREE PICKUPS SO EZ I am never fighting the corrupted version boss again
Stage 5:
Spoiler:
I WILL NEVER STOP SCREAMING
Stage 6:
Spoiler:
Oh that's not too bad THE SURVIVAL CARD IS FUCKING BULLSHIT THOUGH
Extra:
Spoiler:
THAT FUCKING DRUM SOLO OH MY GOOOOD

Unroyal Paladin

• A paladin, although not yet approved to be royal.
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
I didn't 1cc normal, tried twice, one with ReimuA and second time with MarisaB , but my thoughts about the game are... ... It seems like ZUN watched some 'こんな東方はいやだ'  and the fanmade Touhou Mountain of Faith AfterExtra. The hitbox enlargement and flipping screen totally remind me of those two, respectively. Not that it's a bad thing, but those gimmicks surprised, and annoyed the hell out of me.

New bullets are nice to have, but to learn their hitbox, that requires either trial and error, or looking at some places which would ruin some of the fun in the game... so mixed feelings on that one.

Really strange, the first three stages I reach 7 lives, and on the last 3 stages I proceed to lose them all to stupid stuff... Didn't try easy yet, but some people say that easy 1cc can unlock extra, so I think I'll try.

Spoiler:
NICE BOWL
by the way. It's like
Spoiler:
Kaguya's spell with buddha's stone bowl suddenly became a real bowl.
I think it'd be more pretty if he just did it with lasers or something... ... but then it'd become hard if the other bullets stayed as they are, so whatever. Did I mention the survival card of the final boss kills me left and right...?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
I think the final boss, Sukuna Shinmyoumaru, is based on Japanese deity, Sukuna-Hikona no Mikoto since both characters are midget.
Nah, Shinmyoumaru is explicitly stated to be a descendant of Issun-Boushi in her profile, and there is no similarities between the deity and her outside of them being small.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:41:42 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
I find it unfair that enlarging spellcard makes hitbox bigger but doesn't actually increase graze field like it is shown.
I know right!?

SacredWind

• Ordinary Magician
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Is it just me, or do
Spoiler:
Raiko remid me of Mitori?
Nicknames: Sacred, SacredWind.
Touhou Achievements:
Easy 1cc: PCB, SA, UFO
Normal 1cc: IN, MoF, TD