Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character released!  (Read 186965 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby

Introduction
Double Dealing Character is the name for the 14th danmaku game our one-man-wonder ZUN has been working on. A pleasant surprise for Reitaisai10 visitors as they will be blessed with two Touhou games. As usual, the demo provides only 3 stages and revealing 3 bosses. The game is being sold (or was sold at this point of time) at Reitaisai for 300 Yen. Either way, let us quickly take a look at what ZUN has been working on in secret.

Our three selectable heroines. No extraordinary fashionable clothes here, unlike Marisa in UFO for example.

Gameplay
The game impacts us with a surprise return from Sakuya. While I am sure many of you have already noted this from the CD photo, I will say it here again: Sakuya is playable. A long with Marisa and Reimu, our three girls seem to have head to fly through the stages, fire danmaku, hold spell card battles and then. . . who knows. It is a Demo! Bloody hell!

The girls have two shot types. You've all already heard of the "Dark Spark" or "corrupted weapons". The rebellion of the weapons themselves seem to be very visible when you're using your shottype or spell card. So you can decide: Fight with possessed and 'dark' weapons or stick to your faithful clean and divine weapons. The girls themselves don't change appearance themselves for the shottypes, so people who thought Marisa might be wearing some alternative clothing, sorry to disappoint you.

CharacterNon FocusFocusSpell Card
Reimu (corrupted)Homing amuletsTarget lock GoheiGiant gohei, sweeping in front of Reimu
Reimu (clean)Homing amuletsStraight needlesFantasy Seal
Marisa (corrupted)Laser and magic shotsFlame throwerDark Spark
Marisa (clean)Laser and magic shotsMagic shots and exploding missileMagic Bomb
Sakuya (corrupted)KnivesKnives + delayed homing knives? ? ? ? ?
Sakuya (clean)KnivesKnives + straight green knivesInvincibility and removal of bullets

Above a quick overview of the girl's shot types. Reimu is pretty straight forward and always feels like the more easy to use characters in every game. Her corrupted gohei strongly resembles Imperishable Night, Border team where you summon Ran in Yukari mode who locks on the first target before moving to the next. Useful when the boss is forcing you away from her. Marisa's straight forward shot type makes it difficult to handle bosses if they force you to move. Though her corrupted hakkero's focus mode leaves a burning trail, which does some damage. So you're not always in a loss! And finally Sakuya has an interesting ability where just like Reimu, you summon several knives who lock on target then rush forward to deliver them pain.

Be aware that Reimu's corrupted spell card makes her immense slow. You need to be in front of the boss to deal damage. Reminds me of Youmu's slashing charge shot in 10D. Marisa's flame thrower hakkero has a pretty long range. Sitting at the bottom of the screen, you can keep hitting the boss easily.

Reimu's Gohei being out of control. Look at that beast! / Marisa's corrupted Hakkero, spitting deadly flames. / Dark Spark, the true corrupted form of her fierce magic. Oh my.

The bosses are a fish/mermaid girl by the name 'Wakasagihime', A pretty creepy girl 'Sekibanki' and the howling girl 'Kagerou Imaizumi'. Again the electric guitar is the leading theme for these girls. Interestingly the stages you visit are quite familiar. Just play and see for yourself.

The three bosses from the demo. ------ Wait, did Sekibanki just DETACH her head? ----- We've already been in this place, don't you agree?

Demo impression and conclusion
As a demo, it is hard to gauge the overall impression of a game. So I will be holding my judgement until the full game appears. However, many things can be noted here. ZUN has adapted his graphics again. Small detail such as the spawning animation of bullets or the scattering/vanishing effect seem to be done using different textures. Bosses use a dark, evil looking "charge up" animation giving the game an interesting look. Even when a certain mid-boss appeared using that animation I was surprised. Electric guitars (if I am not mistaking) seem to be the leading instrument during theme songs. Especially fighting the third boss, the lead instrument is clearly an electric guitar. Feels quite energetic and yet another brave move from ZUN to sway from his traditional romantic trumpets. Though those always remain around so fear not.

The demo looks promising so far. ZUN seems to indeed have eliminated any complicated system such as the trance mode in 10D. Basically you're using power, bombs, graze and some other scoring mechanics to play through the game. I am sure the experts among us could explain this part better.

Again, for final judgement, please watch warmly as girls do their best to prepare for the full game.

--Helepolis

Helepolis, feel free to hijack this as necessary.

Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character released!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
This... is still about the demo? I don't get it. And you locked the other thread just as I was responding. bo-boo
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
I'm getting a "not a valid win32 application". Was a solution for this ever found besides the trial patch?
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »
I'm getting a "not a valid win32 application". Was a solution for this ever found besides the trial patch?

http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15326.0/topicseen.html

Also, my SakuyaA Lunatic run crashed the game at the Fake Prismriver's fight (I believe it was the third spell). Did that happen to anyone else? :l

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
Raiko is really the most mysterious extra stage boss, look at this picture closer.

look at her tie.

also someone on pixiv draw a fan-art of her

if you look at her tie closer, you can see inverted cross on her tie, and that means......
Spoiler:
Raiko is actually a christian youkai and she is the preview of TH15 that represents christianity!!
I knew it ZUN!

wait a minute.....there`s one more thing.
Spoiler:
DDC is like PCB, and that means TH15 will be like EOSD, OMG! i think Angels and western Demons will appear on TH15!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:13:19 PM by Zakari »

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
Also, my SakuyaA Lunatic run crashed the game at the Fake Prismriver's fight (I believe it was the third spell). Did that happen to anyone else? :l
Not sure about everyone but I saw some amount of posts that the game crashes at 2nd (or 3rd?) stage 4 spellcard on Lunatic for A characters.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
1) That thing on the tie (at least in the fanart) looks more like a sword.
2) Is there a patch for the Lunatic S4A post-second spell crash bug yet?

(i'm back home squeee)

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
http://i44.tinypic.com/rm0gsz.jpg

I'm just gonna leave that there...
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »
If anything, Touhou 15 will be more like Immaterial and Missing Power.
I don't have the game yet, and has anyone noticed that each new game brought at least one new shot type.
EoSD: Everything but knives seem like it
PCB: Music notes and butterflies
IN: Amulets and maybe stars
Not counting PoFV because it's different
MoF: New Dots. Lol
SA: Hearts and roses
UFO: Sinuate Lasers, I think these are their first appearances.
GFW: Other stars
TD: Arrow Bullets
DDC: More music notes and some things in the extra stage.
Currently a normal player

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
So apparently there are 21 music tracks in the game instead of the usual 17. Does anyone know how to unlock the others?

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
Any suggestion on where I might be able to buy this later? =D

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
Well, overall this game satisfies me.  It's colorful, if not a bit of an odder feel.  However, all the characters have flair, and hits the right notes.

I thought much the same. It has this aura of oddness that feels like a new direction for Touhou, basically ZUN going full trickster mode. I like it more than TD any way I look at it.

DDC feels... chaotic in a good way. The bullet patterns are disjointed, there's these surreal gimmicks scattered around, and the music is off the usual rails.

Really fun how the point-of-collection bonuses become a sort of mini-game inside the gameplay, much like UFO (which happens to be one of my favorites). It adds a layer of strategy and helps you get lost in the game during the more intense parts. I always feel like I could've collected more bonuses with better planning and skills, which makes it quite addictive and arcade-y.

Now to actually beat Sukuna and see the Extra stage...
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Just felt like saying how much I love Shinmyoumaru's theme again, this time in the correct topic.

By the way, ThbgmExtractor got an update recently and there's already a titles file for DDC.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
Just completed the Ex Stage with ReimuB and Marisa B. Raiko it's a joke with MarisaB, use her bomb on ANY nonspell and grab resources like crazy :V
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
So I take that there is no phantasm stage after all?

Thanks in advance!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
So, who's Marisa's midboss/boss on Stage 4? Reimu has Yatsuhashi as midboss and Benben as boss, Sakuya is the other way around. I'm still raging at losing the last life of my last continue to Shinmyoumaru AFTER I defeated her and don't want to go play the game again to check it =P

EDIT: Nevermind, found out it's based on choosing between using the cursed weapons or not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:02:15 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
For those who are interested but don't understand Japanese, I'll put all the info I got from the screenshots and videos. Haven't played the game so I might be wrong about some,
Spoiler:
Stage 4 - Takes place in the middle of a storm
The bosses are Tsukumo Benben and Tsukumo Yatsuhashi, a newly awakened instrument Tsukumogami sisters. You get to fight a different one for the boss depending on which weapon you choose, A fights Benben and B fights Yatsuhashi, the other sister will be the mid-boss.

Stage 5 - Takes place in the floating castle corridor
The boss is Kijin Seija an Amanojaku youkai, that assists Sukuna for the rebellion. Her fight has a unique gimmick where she'll reverse the screen and your control.

Stage 6 - Takes place in a room in the floating castle
The final boss is Sukuna Shinmyoumaru, a decendant of Isshun-boshi, a dwarf princess from the small tribe youkai. She wields the Shining Needle Sword(that giant needle) and the Miracle Mallet, capable of making things bigger and gives magic power to inanimate objects. She is the one behind the rebellion. There's a Shingeki parody in her 5th spellcard, aptly named 進撃の小人(meaning "Attack on Dwarf").

Extra Stage - Takes place in the middle of a storm
The extra boss is Horikawa Raiko, a newly awakened drum Tsukumogami. She received her powers and conscience from Sukuna's Miracle Mallet and she received more than the two sisters to the extent that she shows similar quality with the Thunder God, Raijin, with the fact that you're fighting her in the middle of the storm that she made and she generates thunder balls. She herself is not the god Raijin, though she might as well become one now. For her ability, since there's others who can utilize lightning, maybe hers is "manipulation of storms"? Wants to lead the rebellion for the freedom of tools from humans control.

For the story:
Spoiler:
Sukuna is the one who starts the rebel for the small people/youkai tribe since they're angry because the others sees them as weak and Reimu didn't even realize they exist. What lead her to do this is the secret treasure, the Miracle Mallet, which apparently has the power to make things bigger(as you can see in her 2nd spellcard and make our hitbox bigger in her 4th spellcard), so she's probably weak without it and it's implied that she probably enlarged herself and the castle with it. Seija is probably an acquaintance of Sukuna and joins the rebellion for the same reason. These two are the main instigator of the rebellion. Wakasagihime, Sekibanki, and Kagerou probably joined the rebels to prove themselves since they think they're ignored.

As for the Tsukumogami, the sisters know about the rebellion but Seija didn't recognize them, so the weapons going haywire and the Tsukumogami weren't part of their plan, though Seija said she doesn't mind as long as they're helping. So it probably goes like this, Sukuna and Seija wanted to start a rebellion for the small and weak youkai and started all this when Sukuna got the mallet. Other than making things bigger, the mallet also seems to be able to give magic powers and conscience to tools, which were given to Benben, Yatsuhashi, and Raiko who were just tools(their instruments). Raiko took advantage of her, probably by saying that she'll help with the rebellion(she's the one that keeps the castle afloat), and takes all the magic power she needs until she no longer needs the mallet. From here, the three newly awakened Tsukumogamis went to start a rebellion for the freedom of tools from humans control. So there are two rebellions taking place here.

I don't know about the ending but for extra stage with ReimuB, after beating Raiko, Reimu were considering about returning them back to tools but she decided to let them go(but not before saying that tools should just shut up and be used. That's our Reimu, what a bitch) and Raiko happily obeys. After that she says that she, and maybe the sisters, are going to held a concert(Prismrivers vs Tsukumogamis incoming!) and finish the conversation by quoting a certain drummer from the outside world.

In the end of the day, we sip our tea and there was much rejoicing. Just another day in our favorite paradise.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:54:59 PM by monhan »

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
Wow...Touhou fans are always on top of everything.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
Thanks, monhan.  That's some really good info.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
It is said that the game crashes in a certain part at Stage Four Lunatic because of too much bullets.

Anyway, isn't Shinmyoumaru the cutest Touhou character you've seen? It is for me.
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
Sneaky ZUN! He took elements from Sukuna's cover art! I guess maybe the mallet and the needle would have made it way too obvious. And yet, people guessed what she was supposed to be before release. Still have no idea what the colorful thing around her is, though... thread?  :3 Also I kinda find her creepy, is that weird? Maybe it's her sprite, with that weird grin on her.

The music has a different feel from other games from what I can tell... it's amazing. But that was already obvious in the demo.

Lightseeker

• Aurora
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
For those who are interested but don't understand Japanese, I'll put all the info I got from the screenshots and videos. Haven't played the game so I might be wrong about some,

Any info on what is actually causing the Youkai's rampage? (aka the first three bosses)

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
So apparently there are 21 music tracks in the game instead of the usual 17. Does anyone know how to unlock the others?

Not true, i see 17 tracks... we got trolled

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
I know this probably isn't the right place, but anyone else having issues  with the translation autopatch?

Back when the demo came out it worked just fine, but now none of the other games, much less TH14 work.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 04:54:12 PM »
Any info on what is actually causing the Youkai's rampage? (aka the first three bosses)
I was curious about that too since the last 3 stage feels like a totally different game and I don't really see the connection, but here's what I think:
Spoiler:
Sukuna leads the rebellion for the small, weak, and often ignored youkai. The first three bosses are probably interested in that and decided to join the rebels.
That's all, I guess.

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
For anyone who feels like spoiling themselves, here are stages 4 through 6 on normal: http://nicoviewer.net/sm21573607
Dear god stage 5 is awesome and horrifying at the same time.

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »
Now to actually beat Sukuna and see the Extra stage...

Yatta~!

I think I shed a single tear when the staff roll theme played. You'll see why. Friggin' love this game already.

also whoa is ZUN actually shorter than me

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »
Don't forget the extra stage! Reuploaded by Critz, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkOmQxvfcw

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
I'll wait for actual replays of Lunatic/Extra. It's nicer to watch them using the game.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.