Author Topic: Pacific mudderfuggin' Rim  (Read 2644 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Pacific mudderfuggin' Rim
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »
Pacific Rim is about giant robots beating up giant monsters. It's a Westerner taking everything glorious about mecha anime and kaiju, making it balltacularly ballswesome as all Hell, and CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend seeing it in 3D.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhE42Noj1Lw

\m/(>_____<)\m/

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
Re: Pacific mudderfuggin' Rim
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »
Needs more Ron Perlman. screw the robots, Hellboy was here, he took the balls out of ballsawesome.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
The Kaiju lost, so I was highly disappointed :T

The fights scenes were really cool, though. And some interesting explorations on how society would react to giant monsters suddenly attacking (aside from the whole" build giant robots" thing). I was also REALLY glad they went over the first contact thing as a quick prologue, instead of dragging that out for one hour or so, since the whole "waiting until the protagonists finally encounter the monster" part is always the most annoying one.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
I liked the action scenes, but all the stuff in between was so rushed they might as well not have included it at all. For example, Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon
Spoiler:
barely get 5 minutes of screentime before they get wrecked
, and their crews don't get any development at all. The
Spoiler:
rivalry subplot between the main guy and the Striker Eureka guy
doesn't reach any kind of satisfying conclusion. Neither does the thing with the Coastal Wall--I realize it's just there to set up the main character's ~circumstances~ at the start of the story, but it'd still be nice to have some acknowledgment that the world is bigger than this self-termed "resistance" (against what? They're still fighting the same battle--if getting your budget slashed turns you into a "resistance," then every single organ of federal and state government is currently a resistance.)

Anyway, here's a thing.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

pineyappled

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:04:31 PM »
The portrayal of governments was... yeah.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »
Thought it was okay. One of my least favorite Del Toro movies, but still watchable bordering on good.

Best thing to come of it for me was that the miniatures game Heroclix released a Pacific Rim expansion and I used the stats to make some Evangelion mods.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »
Movie was cool. Ending was pretty bullshit though

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 02:36:46 AM »
I am offended at what passes for a naturalized Japanese still must somehow speak and observe the code of Ninja babes in the future of mankind... aka that girl. I am not even sure if she is necessary, the story could be about one pilot of Gypsy Danger x that guy from Striker Eureka and it would have been awesome, because damn that girl feels like a totem.  (aside from the loli who plays her younger version, there was more emotion in that flashback than the rest of the show)

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?