Author Topic: Genshiken Nidaime - A Trap Life.  (Read 2660 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Genshiken Nidaime - A Trap Life.
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
Genshinken Nidaime follows the story of the girls now inheriting the helm of the Genshinken club in college wafter the graduation of Madarame and the boys from the previous season may years ago. (the story is apparently 1 year after the story of the main season.

Ogiue is now the president of the club looking for members to fill her space. After a particularly spectacular day at the gathering of members , along comes two girls and it is fast becoming a BL club. Just as Ogiue is worrying if this will mean the Gensinken will become a BL club only thing, Hato-san shows up interested in the club activities. By way of the club pervert Kuchiki attempting to sniff the hair of the new pretty girl Hato-san... the clubs finds out that she is in fact a HE!

What will happen now that the only hottest member of the Genshinken club is also a crossdresser? What happens next?
All things considered after watching episode 1 - 3 this is basically every trap-fans show. Hato-kun is amazing and I love the in depth character development and the chemistry between these ordinary people who share their common interests, I really wish my college life was like this. Is there anyone else watching this show?

Also, would you? Hato-kun I mean, her whole thing?
I sure as hell think this season has a lot of traps, and this is by far the best first 3 episodes of a slice-of-life anime this season. I am enjoying every bit of this. Hato actually reminds me of a very close friend of mine, who is also a crossdresser (as in daily, and then there is the cosplay) and their characters to be as determined to keep the image there in order to be what they wanted to be is really striking.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Re: Genshiken Nidaime - A Trap Life.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »
I'm watching it, because it's Genshiken and I always loved that series. I even rewatched the previous seasons before this one, because it was so long ago. Things have really changed since the first series... I think the most weirdest thing about this season is that many of the old VAs has been replaced with new ones, some of them that are almost completely different than the original ones, which can be really weird at times when these new ones try to imitate the old VAs.

As for it turning into a BL thing, it really kinda makes sense. We had a season where we focused on male otakus and otakudom in general, then came the second where Ogiue happened and there were suddenly more female characters popping up and whatnot, and since the series was always similar to a documentary about otaku, it's pretty much fair that it focuses on the other sex/gender as well.

As for the trap thing, I don't really think it's really just that, but it feels like a more realistic situation (at points) when it comes to people like her. I've never seen a series where the context was explored like this, so even if I'm not into the trap thing, it is quite interesting when it comes to this deal. I've always loved how Genshiken usually showed the otakudom in a light that is not positive nor negative, just a thing that is a fact and I'm seeing the same approach about this deal as well.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
Genshinken Nidaime is probably my favorite series of this season. Not surprising, since Genshiken is overall one of my favorites manga and anime. I hadn't been following the new manga chapters, but I've been waiting for a new series since the extra chapter (covering the events in ep. 1) came out some years ago, and Hato was the definitely my favorite new character (though I came to like Yoshitake a lot as well) . Like Solais said, the unbiased and realistic way they portray the otaku, both personally and socially, is a pretty much unique.
And this new season is been very at portraying Hato. Frankly, most anime shows that have crossdressers/traps in them end up using them as gimmick or gag characters, so it's really nice to see one shown as a realistic and complex character, who has to deal with mundane things as putting an effort to look feminine and carrying changes of clothes, as well as both hostility and unwanted advances (lol, Kuchiki) and a somewhat complicated gender identity.
Madarame is also still getting some nice development, especially if you compare the guy that was spouting "2D love is the only pure one" rants in season 1 to the guy now struggling into an "adult life" while trying to keep in touch with his interests and accept the hopelessness of his love for Saki.

But yeah, I definitely would Hato.  :3

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:50:06 AM »
hato is unf unf unf.

yep.

:3 The season is fairly striking compared to the other slice-of-life stuff of recent times, I think this is a good thing.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:32 AM »
Just managed to get the first episode in last night. The new voice cast is a bit hard to get used to (wait, where's Ayako Kawasumi?), but it still carries a lot of the same mentality over.

Spoiler:
I like the Rika most for her cheerfulness and positive energy, but such has always been my inclination.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:49 AM »
I think considering slice of life shows this one has more going on for it with reality stricken situations than say not...  it feels like the kinda things you will likely experience as you reach an older age and watch as the young'uns take over with their seemingly more fun days where you were... Madarame really strikes a tone with me
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?