Author Topic: What would you like to see in the next Touhou?  (Read 26488 times)

Lucarius

What would you like to see in the next Touhou?
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »
Game features, characters, settings, story, anything. However, avoid something as fruitless as "more characters."

Touhou 11 went underground, Touhou 12 went overskies. I'd like to see Touhou go underwater.

The story could be something like the main characters get word that the shinigami haven't been able to cross the Sanzu river. The main characters start out at the 中有の道(Chuuu no Michi, look up Perfect Memento in Strict Sense). The first boss could be an employee from hell (running one of the small shops there). They start to cross the river from 此岸(Shigan). Second boss could be a new shinigami (or Komachi, saying everything's fine I'm doing my work, ZUN style). They find a mangrove forest in the middle of the Sanzu that doesn't seem to be effected by the river's nature, which stops the characters from dying (when someone crosses the river, they would usually die). Third boss could be a youkai wearing some kind of armor made of bones which washed up onto the forest, representing those who drowned in the river, because they couldn't cross it. They dive into a whirlpool in the middle of the forest to search for the origin of this magical mishap. The fourth boss could be a Siren (water demons who sing people to death). The characters proceed to the core of a whirlpool that's been messing with the river's magic. The last boss could be an 天魚(Amana), which could be in the form of a mermaid. Beating her would stop the whirlpool and the torrent of magic that's messing with the river. EX Boss? Perhaps a 水龍(Suiryuu).

鏡月天魚(Kagamitsuki Amana), the last boss. She would be a mermaid with red wavy hair and a fish tail that fades from white to red towards the tip. She would have a trident. Some of her spellcard names may include terms like leviathan and undine.

The only reason I came up with this idea is because I think mermaids (人魚) are the only creatures ZUN hasn't nearly touched yet.

As for game features, I think it would be cool if ZUN added shots that came from underneath the character. For instance, this idea may have underwater geysers emerge from visible holes in the game background.

The UFOs from 12 and the option antennas from 11 were unique additions that fit with the setting of each game. This idea could have a bubble kekkai(shield) that needs to be regenerated by gathering air from fairies and ghosts.

So, what do you want in the next official Touhou?

The weird thing about this thread is, if ZUN read it, he wouldn't do any of it. lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:17:57 PM by Lucarius »

Re: What would you like to see in the next Touhou?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
Could be nice, but if Komachi would be in it, she needs to be at least a Stage 5 boss IMO.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
inb4 mima.

I wonder if Sanae's going to become a regular playable cast-member, or if this is going to be a one-time thing like Sakuya in PCB ... um, wait, bad example, Sakuya was playable in the next three games (counting IaMP).

Gpop

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:33:19 PM »
Welcome back Lucarius. It's been a while since I last saw you. Where have you been?

Anyways, one thing I'd love to see, but probably will never happen, is danmaku online multiplayer. But not the PoFV kind, but more of the Tyrian kind. You know, two players on the same screen dodging bullets. This could be implemented for 3 modes: Score battle, Co-op, and Survival.

You know that could be really fun.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
I would like to see more Orin~

She's a stage 5 boss after all, and all stage 5 bosses return.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:17:21 PM »
* Theorist looks at his avatar and personal text.

...I think it's pretty obvious what I want to see.

Also, I think a game starring Team ⑨ would be a pretty good idea.  And it would mean more Wriggle, so... Yay~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »
Touhou/Trouble Witches crossover!

Barring that, I'd love to see an underwater adventure.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Gpop

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 07:02:21 PM »
Also, I think a game starring Team ⑨ would be a pretty good idea.  And it would mean more Wriggle, so... Yay~

Man I want to say something about it, but a friend of mine won't let me for a specific reason.

Lucarius

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
Welcome back Lucarius. It's been a while since I last saw you. Where have you been?

Anyways, one thing I'd love to see, but probably will never happen, is danmaku online multiplayer. But not the PoFV kind, but more of the Tyrian kind. You know, two players on the same screen dodging bullets. This could be implemented for 3 modes: Score battle, Co-op, and Survival.

You know that could be really fun.

I've been dead. Bored. Whatever you want to call it. I think I'll disappear again sometime later.

Very fun. Coop is always fun, and there's always not enough of it. There should be more games like Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) and the Tales series. The Ikaruga (awesome coop shooter) system of Black and White can be implemented via Touhou character types. That would be an awesome danmaku game.

I doubt ZUN would do this, but he could bring in some neta from Rakugaki Oukoku, which was the first game to have Reimu use Musou Fuuin. I didn't know that Musou Fuuin's first appearance wasn't Touhou until quite recently.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:18:50 PM by Lucarius »

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »
Underwater hell yes, Iku would probably be an early boss

You already heard me go on about thunder dragons. I also want to see a pig, on a cool bike/plane cross thing.

And of course, Rinnosuke needs to be a real character, from the PC-98 days, along with a whooole bunch of other people.

Oh and uh, Suika, Iku, and Tenshi as bosses (typical shooter) somewhere down the line, and some of the old bosses need to become proper player characters... you know, I expect Touhou 13 to do this. Maybe we can play as Kanako or something
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 08:18:27 PM »
Nitori also totally needs to make a comeback.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 08:31:04 PM »
It would be pretty interesting to see how Touhou characters will fare outside of Gensokyo (yes, I am suggesting a trip to the 'Outside World').

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I response to Nwbi's post I'd like to see Touhou go to the mall.
The action Danmaku game Happy Escalator Flowering Department Store.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 08:43:03 PM »
I response to Nwbi's post I'd like to see Touhou go to the mall.
The action Danmaku game Happy Escalator Flowering Department Store.

Lolololo

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:15 PM »
NO NEW CHARACTERS

I want to see a game that manages to do something really interesting and new without the need for new characters.

- Update older characters.
- Update older tracks.
- Make it a PoDD-style tournament without the 2-player TSS gameplay.
- Make everyone's story mode unique by putting them up against different characters from the already huge cast, and include a Spell Card Practice mode that allows you to select your character and fight anyone with anyone.
- More branching storylines.

I want something that doesn't follow the same, old 6-stage+extra, new-boss, whatever formula.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »
I think the underwater Touhou theory's been going  around for a while, but it'd take a lot of effort to work since ZUN's specifically stated that Gensokyo doesn't have a sea or ocean.

What I wouldn't mind seeing is something sort of like that fangame Hollow World of God or whatever it was called. You can power up your character by collecting GP (Graze Points) and buy yourself extra shot-types, bombs and so on. Early stages could just be random plains of Gensokyo with several possible bosses so repetition/grinding doesn't get old, with later stages being more specific to the overall plot. Maybe even the ability to recruit new characters after defeat or buy them using GP?

Or another idea I'm kinda playing with - a game starring Orin, where the amount of bullets you can fire is limited. You get more bullets by picking up the souls of enemies or grazing, and bombing takes up multiple bullets. Final boss is Yuyuko on the premise of STOP KILLING PEOPLE AND NOT LETTING THEM COME TO ME.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »
NO NEW CHARACTERS

I want to see a game that manages to do something really interesting and new without the need for new characters.

- Update older tracks.
- Make everyone's story mode unique by putting them up against different characters from the already huge cast, and include a Spell Card Practice mode that allows you to select your character and fight anyone with anyone.
- More branching storylines.

I want something that doesn't follow the same, old 6-stage+extra, new-boss, whatever formula.
This. If Zun can do at least a few of these (mostly the NO NEW CHARACTERS thing), then I'll start to actually care about Windows games and will actually start playing them again.

While I must 2nd the Underwater thing sounds interesting at best. I want to see our Touhous head to back to Jigoku. Yes, I know it's PC-98 shit blah blah blah, but I feel out of all the places we've been, we never got to see what Jigoku is REALLY like, or who actually rules it. If it's anything like I think it is, Jigoku would be Gensokyo's version of 'Tartarus'.

...no not THAT Tartarus.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 11:10:19 PM by Nrvnqshinki Luizerebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 11:05:09 PM »
NO NEW CHARACTERS
THIS FOR THE MOST PART

- Update older tracks.
Remake the first five games.

Turn the fighting games into this. Suika started a tournament thingy, and later turned Tenshi's... mess... into a tournament (more like a bounty hunt), and then she decided tourny every 4 years or whatever (kill hisoutensoku unless you call it a "repeat" or it takes place not after UFO)

No Spell Practice... maybe! But otherwise, the fighting games are somewhat already like this. I think.

Okay, this is silly. It won't be Touhou without the particular formula.
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 11:26:20 PM »
Really need to revive some old characters, and there's really not much about sea in all of the games.

Need Sea and most importantly, beach.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27:58 AM »
there's really not much about sea in all of the games.
That's because, as said above, there are no oceans in Gensokyo.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:36 AM »
That's because, as said above, there are no oceans in Gensokyo.

Not ANYMORE.

I still hope that in one of the future games, we will go back in time and investigate the matter of Gensokyo's rapidly disappearing ocean. Spoilers:
Spoiler:
The culprit is US. :O

shinyjam

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »
Is it canon that Gensokyo to not have ocean? If not, Zun could add it anytime.

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:45 AM »
I agree on the 'NO NEW CHARACTERS' statement; Touhou already have more than enough cast to work with.

If ZUN is going to make a last Touhou game, these are what I want him to do:

• Include nearly all Touhou game characters to date, including the PC-98 ones (with a bit of update). For characters that have appeared in both (e.g. Alice and Yuka), just use the Windows version of them (ZUN must follow the 'NO NEW CHARACTERS' idea to not make this a bigger pain than it already is). ZUN already had most of the Windows characters all in StB, so I would image that this is possible.
  • Include most of the music tracks that he has done for the games (keep individual character themes for the characters), and some tracks from the individual albums that he has made would also be welcome.
  • For loads and loads of characters, the tournament plot is the easiest to work with. The 'stages' could be done in Phantasmagoria-style 'episodes' without using the 2-player gameplay itself. Though, if he is creative, he could put Co-op mode somewhere in the game.
  • Every character does not need to be playable; I am content enough with just seeing all of them in the game (not just in the credits).
  • Multiple (or branching) storylines would be nice; we shouldn't fight everybody in one run, instead, there should be choices (or gimmicks) in the game that affects who we fight in the story. Also, main characters would have different stories than one another; that way, he could incorporate all the characters to the game easier.
  • To support the above, there should be more main (playable) characters than Reimu and Marisa as well (he could do what he did in IN for this). For every major factions of the Gensokyo residents, there should be at least one main character (e.g. Hakurei Shrine: Reimu, Forest of Magic: Marisa, Scarlet Devil Mansion: Sakuya, Eientei: Reisen). Main characters could appear as bosses in other main characters' story modes.
  • The Spell Card Practice mode should allow any of the playable characters to fight against any of the characters in the game.

Try to actually draw the characters decently Lastly, he should do all of this the best he can. The list above is pretty demanding, but if the 'official' Touhou series is going to end, at least let it go out with a bang (no pun intended).

... Scratch all that, ZUN can do whatever he wants...

shinyjam

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 01:39:48 AM »
ideas
A danmaku based RPG with 50 hours of adventure in Gensokyo filled with random encounter that is random generated danmaku battle where you gain exp slowly. Kinda like Sigma star saga.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:41:37 AM by shinyjam »

Caber Knight Etch-A-Sketch

• The return of something
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 01:44:49 AM »
Something involving Drills

shinyjam

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 01:49:44 AM »
Alternate dimension.

Lucarius

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 02:18:57 AM »
A probable reason why he creates new characters instead of reusing old ones is because he wants to create new events based on different fictional history (all Japanese folklore except 6).

His primary policy is to move Reimu and Marisa along a line of variety of events that requires new music. He probably doesn't want to use the same characters as enemies in order to avoid using the same song over again.

Tasogare Frontier's games are exempt from this flow.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »
Yes, it is. It's described as "landlocked" in the wiki, and "no oceans in Gensokyo" is mentioned in SSiB multiple times.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 02:34:29 AM »
Yes, it is. It's described as "landlocked" in the wiki, and "no oceans in Gensokyo" is mentioned in SSiB multiple times.
If that's the case then where does the Sanzu River lead to?

There has to be somewhere it goes, and I doubt it's the SDM lake either.

/off topic

His primary policy is to move Reimu and Marisa along a line of variety of events that requires new music. He probably doesn't want to use the same characters as enemies in order to avoid using the same song over again.
I can understand the latter part of your statement so I nixed that from the quote. However what I don't understand is this part...

Is it not possible to simply make a new song for old characters? Just becase you have the same character doesn't mean you use the same track for them.

Call me retarded, but I fail to see why that isn't an option for him.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus