Author Topic: Anime Weekend Atlanta Touhou swag contests have begun!  (Read 9105 times)

Letty Whiterock

Anime Weekend Atlanta Touhou swag contests have begun!
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151719241307649&set=a.10151579471047649.1073741825.339520792648&type=1

Currently on my phone right now, so I can't easily post a headline article, buy I want to get this to everyone as soon as possible. Go go go!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:17:32 PM by Kilgamayan »

Drake

Re: Are you ready!?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
Second (and most important), this is a contest for earnest Touhou fans

who might just live and breathe danmaku.
ha ha ha great joke

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
Is this a Facebook-only thing or will they post about it on their website?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:19:56 AM »
Is this a Facebook-only thing or will they post about it on their website?
I believe the contents themselves are announced over their Facebook page, since it's the easiest method to get the most exposure, given the state of things.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Ugh, fine.

Hopefully these won't be races - at the very least, this first one will kick off while I'm at work.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:10:16 AM »
Ugh, fine.

Hopefully these won't be races - at the very least, this first one will kick off while I'm at work.
I can assure you that they are not races, and all eligible people will have, to some degree, an equal chance of winning the prizes.

e: If you would like, I can update the front page with the contest material, so you don't have to go through Facebook, since I'm certain there will be an e-mail to submit entries to.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:12:00 AM by Samsung Galaxy Angel II »

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:45:40 AM »
It's up to you and/or AWA staff. I just think it's silly to foist Facebook on people for this thing.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:12:11 PM »
It's up to you and/or AWA staff. I just think it's silly to foist Facebook on people for this thing.
Considering the number of Likes on the page is nearly equal to the average attendance of the con and the fact that this is primarily a niche contest set anyway, I disagree. More people in the community use social media, primarily Facebook, than don't. Plus, it's really not that hard to check Facebook, and I'm going out of my way to make sure the contests get posted other places. I'm not FB's biggest fan by a long shot, but come on. What more do you want?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
I figured more people would check the convention website than it's Facebook page. Maybe I'm wrong in that regard, I dunno.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
I think the only reasons to go to the con website this soon before the con would be to pre-reg or  look at guests, maybe. Someone using FB probably checks it more than once a day already, so it's much more convenient for hosting this kind of contest.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »
I agree, the Facebook thing makes total sense. You should see the myriad things A-F follows, for example.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:51 PM »
I think the main reason to check a convention website before a convention is for important convention updates (look at the Otakon front page, for example). I'd consider this sort of contest to be an important convention update, so.

It also helps that convention website URLs are a lot easier to memorize than FaceBook URLs.

Of course, I'm biased on this matter because I don't use FaceBook with any sort of regularity; I'm annoyed mostly because checking FaceBook for these contests is now one more different thing I have to remember to do when I already try to juggle remembering more things than I actually can (whereas checking the AWA main page and forums are already on that list).

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:18:42 PM »
I think I can save people some trouble this time.
Quote from: AWA Facebook Page
Tohou Contest #1:

The first contest is going to be an easy one for Touhou fans: Show off your fandom! However, it’s almost too easy to show off those cool Griffon figures, Gift plushies, and questionable doujinshi. No, no, we have to go deeper. Show us your dedication to Touhou and to the beer man himself by showing us your collection of official Team Shanghai Alice Touhou merchandise! Of course, it’s not about quantity. It’s about quality! So don’t just show us your stuff. Show us just how much that stuff means to you!

- Send your entries to contest@awa-con.com.

- Entry deadline is Sunday, August 4th, 2013 at 11:59pm EDT.

Rules and Regulations recap:

1) You must be pre-registered for Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013. When entering, please include your name and confirmation number, so we’ll know who you are and that we’ll see you there.
2) This is a contest for earnest Touhou fans. All the contest objectives will be geared toward Touhou fans who might just live and breathe danmaku. We want these prizes to go to a good home, after all!
3) You cannot win more than once. That wouldn’t be fair!
4)All prizes will be mailed to the winners within the US at no cost. However, if you are from outside of the country, you will be responsible for international shipping or you can choose to receive your prize at the convention.
Since all I own is Imperishable Night, I won't be taking part in this one.

Drake

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
incoming zero entries

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
I'd like to show off my collection, but me and jewel cases really don't get together pretty well... Don't think some of them look too great. :/

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
Show off your fandom, well this is a missed opportunity for me to show off my danmakufu game to him. Why does America have to be so far away. I do own all the shmups and some fighters.

I do have to agree with Kilgapaiman, a facebook should be used to spread the word by directing people to the convention website for the official info/signup etc. The debates/discussions and comments can logically take place on Facebook. Not only due to the simplicity of URLs, but also as a token of respect for the convention it would be only fair to do so.

This puts us as BunBunMaru at SHAME! THE SHAME.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:39:54 AM by Helepolis »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »
I think I can save people some trouble this time. Since all I own is Imperishable Night, I won't be taking part in this one.
Why should that stop you?

Imosa

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
Why should that stop you?
Well, I have to acquire a camera, and once I did that I'd have only IN (and maybe PCB) to show for it. All to be compared to someone who probably has more then that. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I submitted my picture (just IN) and then someone submitted a picture of any two games, then they would beat me.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I submitted my picture (just IN) and then someone submitted a picture of any two games, then they would beat me.

You do realize that the FaceBook page that you quoted and posted here explicitly says that quality matters instead of quantity, yes?

EDIT: Thread title updated to be more informative.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:32:55 PM by Kilgamayan »

Imosa

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 10:31:46 PM »
You do realize that the FaceBook page that you quoted and posted here explicitly says that quality matters instead of quantity, yes?

EDIT: Thread title updated to be more informative.
Not that it matters, It's not like my copy of IN is kept vacuum sealed for pristine quality. Unless everyone else's games don't just just have gashes across the front I don't see how that matters.

Re: Anime Weekend Atlanta Touhou swag contests have begun!
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 11:56:52 PM »
It says "show us how much that stuff means to you", so if you built a shrine in your room dedicated to that one Touhou game you own I think that would raise your chances of winning :derp:

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 01:28:58 AM »
I would pretty much surround my only copy of SA and SoPM with a mountain of not Shanghai Alice Touhou stuff, so that that it looks all the more important. :P
I finally got ahead!

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
I accidentally left my official book collection out in the sun and the covers faded a bit, so I think I lose by default.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 02:37:52 AM »
Not that it matters, It's not like my copy of IN is kept vacuum sealed for pristine quality. Unless everyone else's games don't just just have gashes across the front I don't see how that matters.
I'm sure printing out your character chart will be helpful for your success, if not in this first contest, then in some other one. AWA said there'll be more than one contests after all.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Imosa

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »
I'm sure printing out your character chart will be helpful for your success, if not in this first contest, then in some other one. AWA said there'll be more than one contests after all.
I'm aware. I wouldn't show my fandom through all the things I bought, anyway. True fandom can not be bought... it can only be made... WITH THE SOUL!!!!!!!!!!111

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:44 AM »
I am sure this was mentioned before or forgotten, but is there going to be a live stream of the events?

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
I am sure this was mentioned before or forgotten, but is there going to be a live stream of the events?
I do believe I can arrange for that.

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
omg a chance to show how much of a touhou fag i am, here's like some official media, 80 doujins and a doujin we did-

Rules and Regulations:
be there

;_;.................
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Imosa

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 05:42:06 AM »
omg a chance to show how much of a touhou fag i am, here's like some official media, 80 doujins and a doujin we did-

;_;.................
It's also stuff by Team Shanhai Alice. Not fan made stuff.