Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 4 - Bring us your Questions!  (Read 211721 times)

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 4 - Bring us your Questions!
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »
According to the Touhou wiki, one of Remilia's and one of Orin's spellcards reference a buddhist hell of needles.

However, when I am looking around on internet, I can only find things about hot and cold kind of hells.
So which one is true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diyu#Eighteen_levels_of_hell

KuroArashi100

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
Thank you very much!

I could only find things about the Buddhistic Narakas, and I must have missed that one.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »
Also referenced by Suika's DS spell card, and FS Chapter 1's ancient tengu book.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
Dunno if the first question is really related to Touhou in any way but here I post it.

- Any idea if there any "Koumajou Densetsu 3 Touhouvania" planning out in the near future?

- Also can Flandre really "destroy" (literally speaking) anything with her power, even Reimu or the gods?
- What size could the meteorite that Flandre destroy possibly be?
- How long can Reimu maintain her Fantasy Nature skill in gameplay battle?

Thanks for answering these question in advance.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:33:28 PM by Biakmon »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 06:29:44 PM »
- How long can Reimu maintain her Heaven Nature skill in gameplay battle?
In Imperishable Night, it only lasts for 35 seconds. Oh yeah, its Fantasy Nature not Heaven Nature

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
- Also can Flandre really "destroy" (literally speaking) anything with her power, even Reimu or the gods?
1. Pretty much, but I don't think the gods are beings that can be permanently destroyed just like that. I don't see why Reimu wouldn't be able to get destroyed by Flandre, well, except if Reimu would use her dimension-jump (like fantasy heaven) ability. (Correct me if I'm wrong here...)
2. Any size I guess, as long as Flandre is able to find the base point or "the eye" of the meteorite.
3. In gameplay battle, what Toyo said. If not with the spellcard rules, she could probably use it infinitely.

And one thing I wondered myself, what did Shou mean in the UFO stage 5 dialogue when she says that "the light of dharma is brighter in Makai".

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2013, 08:58:34 PM »
And one thing I wondered myself, what did Shou mean in the UFO stage 5 dialogue when she says that "the light of dharma is brighter in Makai".

Makai's atmosphere is full of miasma that makes any magic stronger and easier to use. This is discussed in Marisa's scenarios.

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
I want to know something:
Does weight affect hitboxes in any way?
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Drake

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
no and furthermore anyone who says it does is dumb

Darkness: When we're talking about Flandre's ability, it would pretty much require the object to be physical and for it to have a point of tension of sorts. I doubt she could destroy things like gasses and liquids since they're much too fluid.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »

Flandre can only destroy physical objects. She was talking about weak points of the object being in her right hand and such, so the assumption should be that she can only destroy objects that are physical.

No known limit. But it should be fairly safe to assume at least the size of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

3. In gameplay battle, what Toyo said. If not with the spellcard rules, she could probably use it infinitely.

She's a human, even if she is special, with limited energy. It should be fairly safe to assume she cannot use it indefinitely.

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 01:41:06 AM »
I want to know something:
Does weight affect hitboxes in any way?

I believe hitbox size (as far as Reimu/Marisa go at least) has to do more with position than anything. Reimu flies in an horizontal position (as if lying down), as opposed to Marisa who flies while sitting on her broom, which is a vertical position, this means that Marisa has a larger vulnerable area for an attack from the front, so she has a bigger hitbox.

Not exactly weight, but body size does have something to do with this, like how usually Sanae/Sakuya/others have hitbox size just between Reimu and Marisa, you can say they fly just like Reimu, but they're just taller or otherwise larger than her (like Sakuya or Yuyuko, since they can be considered grown-ups compared to Reimu) or, like Marisa, they have more places where they could get hit (Remilia could get hit on the wings, for example)

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

cuc

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2013, 02:31:57 AM »
No statement about hitboxes' in-universe meaning has been made in canon, but according to a character sheet in WAHH Vol. 1, the height of its chatacters go Kasen > Sanae > Reimu > Marisa. It has always been known that Sakuya and Yukari are "tall", Reimu, Yuyuko, Ran and Alice are "a little tall", and Marisa and Youmu are "a little short".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:42:35 AM by cuc »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »
Meta question: Is there any reason why Marisa appears in most of the game icons?

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »
Probably only because Reimu gets to appear on most of the title screens, really. I doubt it has any sort of actual significance.

Because Reimu is first main character, she gets her big title screen picture, not a small icon. And so as not to leave the other main character out, Marisa gets the icons instead of nothing. That's how I see it anyways.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:17:59 AM by SirBlueberry »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
This might be a tricky question, but might some one have an idea if Seija (an Amanojaku) has an western counterpart? Because I can believe that every other character in DDC does have some counterpart in western/eastern culture (yes, even the tsukumogami band due of their instruments), so she sticks out the most.
Spoiler:
Then again, she might be just trolling by breaking the chain

« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »
Is there a counterpart (male) for "shrine maiden"?

Also in Touhou Sangetsusei ~ Strange and Bright Nature Deity chapter 8.5 Pg 16

- Can someone explain the 1st and the 2nd one means?
Make it one drink , and one consumes the drink.
Make it two drinks, and the drink consumes itself.
Make it three drinks, and the drink consumes one.

Also at the end of this same page is it by
- The Hakurei Priest (male) or Priestess (female)?

cuc

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 02:39:19 AM »
>Is there a counterpart (male) for "shrine maiden"?

The structure and history of Shinto priesthood is more complex than a simple "yes" can express, and my knowledge is also quite limited on that front. But of course there are male Shinto priests. In the modern Shinto system, "shrine maidens" are in fact not even considered properly registered and trained priests.

>Make it one drink , and one consumes the drink.
>Make it two drinks, and the drink consumes itself.
>Make it three drinks, and the drink consumes one.

That's simple proverb-ish humor. After two drinks, you are starting to become intoxicated, and the liquor seems to automatically drink themselves. After three drinks, you get smittened, "the alcohol drinks you".

>The Hakurei Priest

This is something not as well-known as it should be in the Western fandom.

ZUN calls himself the Hakurei Kannushi, and sometimes signs his writing with it. "Kannushi" originally refers to the male chief priest of a Shinto shrine, and today is used to refer to all male Shinto priests. Fans, including ZUN's friends, often call ZUN "Kannushi" to show respect.

A fan has carved a Hakurei Kannushi stamp for ZUN. This seal can be seen on all official books.

Previously I said in the status update thread that ZUN first called himself that in IN's credit roll, this is incorrect. The earliest instance of this title I know of is on his music download web page from 2001, where he called himself "the Kannushi of this shrine".

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 06:49:11 AM »
Does Kagerou turn into a literal wolf during full moon nights, or is how we saw her in the game her "wolf" form?  Which would mean she looks like an ordinary human when it's not full moon...

Thanks in advance!

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
Does Kagerou turn into a literal wolf during full moon nights, or is how we saw her in the game her "wolf" form?  Which would mean she looks like an ordinary human when it's not full moon...

Thanks in advance!
Right now it seems like her werewolf form is a "hairy" human... but while in this form she can turn into a full wolf or back, which might or might not be a standard werewolf ability.
Quote from: Akyuu
先天性の獣人は一度動物化すると完全に獣の姿となってしまう者が多いが、後天性は人間の姿に近い獣になる事が多い(角や牙や尻尾が生えたりする)
Numerous hereditary therianthropes assume a completely animal form when they change, but acquired ones often retain their human shape as an animal (save for having horns, fangs, and/or tails).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:37:59 AM by Prime32 »

Kenchiwa

• Youkai Into the Wall of Dark
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Can you tell me who appears in Marisa and Sakuya (both A and B)'s DDC endings?
in the corner with a can of Raid, curled up in the fetal position, sucking their thumbs.

« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
- How many "yin yang orb(s)" is there in total?
- Can Reimu summon them at will or does they  need to be within a certain range or what?

- Is there a limit in how many spell card can one possess/use during a battle?

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2013, 01:04:44 AM »
- Can Reimu summon them at will or does they  need to be within a certain range or what?

I kinda figured Reimu just sort of summons them. What makes you think there might be any kind of limiting factor.
Not that I know of.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »
Well, there's at least one Yin Yang orb that's special, the one that's the go-shintai of the Hakurei God. The Three Faries found it in chap 17 of OSP. It's blessing is specifically youkai extermination, seeing how Kasen's arm is blown as soon as she touches it, so presumably, Reimu walks around with it as her main weapon, and the other ones are just random bullets shaped as the orb. Or maybe the orb can split into more than one orb.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »

Not sure if there is a limit, but I am unsure if that thing is even summoned. I kind of assume her Yin Yang orb is an actual object, since you see Kasen trying to touch it.

As for spell cards, that is predetermined before the fight. You declare how many spell cards you will use.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2013, 06:32:40 AM »
She's a human, even if she is special, with limited energy. It should be fairly safe to assume she cannot use it indefinitely.

As much as I'd like to belive that, canon seems to point more towards the contrary.

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2013, 06:36:19 AM »
As much as I'd like to belive that, canon seems to point more towards the contrary.

I am unsure what canon you are talking about, can you provide sources of this?
But the mangas clearly point towards her having limited energy. Reimu is definitely getting tired from the energy she is exerting in Silent Sinner in Blue.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »
I am unsure what canon you are talking about, can you provide sources of this?
But the mangas clearly point towards her having limited energy. Reimu is definitely getting tired from the energy she is exerting in Silent Sinner in Blue.

Read the description of Fantasy Nature in IN Spell Card Practice and Grimoire of Marisa.

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:10 AM »
Regarding the Yin-Yang orb, I like to think there's only one actual orb, and the options you see while playing as Reimu, or the bouncing Yin-Yang balls when fighting her, are just the manifestation of its powers. The actual orb itself isn't directly used as a weapon like in HRtP. That's my theory, though.

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 07:04:02 AM »
Read the description of Fantasy Nature in IN Spell Card Practice and Grimoire of Marisa.

What about the description of the spell? It is in Marisa's opinion, is it not?
The facts are that Reimu gets tired, this has been shown in canon.
So, why assume that Reimu can keep up the spell indefinitely? If I were to guess, I would say maybe a full day, before she becomes completely exhausted.

Regarding the Yin-Yang orb, I like to think there's only one actual orb, and the options you see while playing as Reimu, or the bouncing Yin-Yang balls when fighting her, are just the manifestation of its powers. The actual orb itself isn't directly used as a weapon like in HRtP. That's my theory, though.

Like what Sagus said, that could be it. Reimu does have a real orb, we see that in the 3 fairies' manga. I wonder where she keeps it or does she just store it in the shrine? If Kasen can get it so easily, it sucks to be Reimu.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
What about the description of the spell? It is in Marisa's opinion, is it not?
The facts are that Reimu gets tired, this has been shown in canon.
So, why assume that Reimu can keep up the spell indefinitely? If I were to guess, I would say maybe a full day, before she becomes completely exhausted.

Grimoire of Marisa may be her opinion, but Imperishable Night descriptions aren't. They were there long before GoM and are not just Marisa's opinion, but ZUN's words.
"If it wasn't just for play, (with time limit) no one could beat her by any method."
Ordinary spells and battles may tire Reimu out in canon, but Fantasy Nature involves her floating away from reality. I'd imagine that when you're not a part of reality, concepts like physics, biology, chemistry, psychology, magic, flow of time, etc. lose all meaning, as they cannot affect you. The only thing that can bring Reimu back to reality is her own will. If Reimu's ability was limited by time, it would already contradict ZUN's statement, as it would already provide a method for defeating her in FN trance - by timing it out.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:26:21 AM by Fonzi »