Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 229608 times)

Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
Previous thread.

Let's all talk about the times the spellcard's about to end and then we die as it's canceling. Or the other things that make us mad.

All I have to say is, playing without vsync for a while really shows how much I took it for granted as I go clip clip clip. (Here's looking at YOU, EoSD.)

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:40:10 AM »
Sigh.

Had a ridiculously awesome run going on Karisa's low-graze SA challenge - I had less than 400 graze going into boss Orin! - and then game over in the stupidest way possible.

Welp. Let's restart and hope I get something even remotely as good going.

EDIT: Just realized I double posted, sorry about that.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:23 AM »
>About to beat Fantasy Heaven
>Died at the very last second
>DIDN'T SAVE REPLAY

My reaction is the explosion in the background, the game is the man standing in front of it.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:50:28 AM »
My reaction is the explosion in the background, the game is the man standing in front of it.
That will be me when I beat Stage 5 of Ten Desires. But, instead I'll be going BURN ALL OF THE NICE BOATS!!!
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Drake

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »
last-second you-ran-right-smack-into-a-bullet edition

hee

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

yorgje

• I couldn't resist being a dumbass!
    • STGrillz: Touhou streams etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:38:02 AM »
Whenever I play a non-IN game I dash up when I see the boss dying and get myself killed.
kefit.wav

Oh

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »
304m/960k faith entering stage 4.
Die to aimed bullets before momiji.
Goodbye, 1.5 hours of restarting.

Exxelent_

• The worst of the worst.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
Dying on Yuyuko's explosion after thirty minutes of restarting TD stage one since I can't leave without a perfect run of it.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
Dying on Yuyuko's explosion after thirty minutes of restarting TD stage one since I can't leave without a perfect run of it.

Speaking of TD, I just spent 69 Attempts ATTEMPTING to capture Mamizou's LAST SPELL in the Spell Practise! All because these!

Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
Speaking of TD, I just spent 69 Attempts ATTEMPTING to capture Mamizou's LAST SPELL in the Spell Practise! All because these!

I'm not bashing you, I'm just saying: That's a very weird thing to have a quip over. Then again, not everyone who plays touhou has a degree in dodging criss-cross patterns.

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
I'm not bashing you, I'm just saying: That's a very weird thing to have a quip over. Then again, not everyone who plays touhou has a degree in dodging criss-cross patterns.
Nope, rage is righteous, those bullets in particular are 110% hitbox and out of the blue.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Nope, rage is righteous, those bullets in particular are 110% hitbox and out of the blue.

...What? WHAT?

Okay. OKAY. YOU CAN GET AS ANGRY AS YOU FUCKING WANT ABOUT IT. THAT IS BULLSHIT AND I DON'T KNOW HOW I'VE NEVER CAUGHT THAT

Enjoy.

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
Esu, are you just going to buy that without even checking up on it? I don't actually think it's true but again, I haven't given it much testing. Will test later maybe.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:31:40 PM »
?_?

Exaggerating. It's just really big hitboxes (close to 100%, maybe 100%, I think they're the same as in Miko's second spell) that throw you off.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
Esu, are you just going to buy that without even checking up on it? I don't actually think it's true but again, I haven't given it much testing. Will test later maybe.

BT plays often enough that I can trust what he says regarding Touhou to be true ~70% of the time, which for hitbox size is better than a wiki unless there's a hitbox guide in existence.

Enjoy.

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:24 PM »
?_?

Exaggerating. It's just really big hitboxes (close to 100%, maybe 100%, I think they're the same as in Miko's second spell) that throw you off.

I doubt there's much in Touhou even remotely close to 100% hitbox.

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 11:34:14 PM »

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 01:55:42 AM »

there are a few things, actually. as malky posted the eosd knives. also the eosd mediumsized bullets (the ones yo usee in scarlet meister and remi's last non). and let's not forget Sakuya's ex-knives in PoFV, which are probably more than 100%

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 02:49:49 AM »

Enjoy.

eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »
You forgot the bubble.
'course, that one's far from 100%, just much bigger than other games' bubbles.
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. Their brightness might be part of their evilness. It's like trying to retain visual acuity while looking at lightbulb directly from a foot away. It doesn't work.
It took me forever to even tell what in Suwako's name was killing me when Miko unleashed those on me. Like it's so bright that I couldn't see the bullet splitting for the first like 20 attempts

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:50 AM »
'course, that one's far from 100%, just much bigger than other games' bubbles.
Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. Their brightness might be part of their evilness. It's like trying to retain visual acuity while looking at lightbulb directly from a foot away. It doesn't work.
It took me forever to even tell what in Suwako's name was killing me when Miko unleashed those on me. Like it's so bright that I couldn't see the bullet splitting for the first like 20 attempts
I can tell when I someday reach Stage 6 of TD that will be the bane of me.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
   I recently got PoFV to work again. And I remembered what made me so angry about it: Aya. She's much more of an evil crow than Utsuho. I got her down to her last halfball TWICE and died BOTH times. I got to Komachi on my last life, and died on her last halfball. I don't know if her bullets are too fast when the screen gets full of them or what, but WHY IS SHE SO GODDAMNED HARD. I breeze through the early stages (except Sakuya for some reason, probably the knives, as said earlier), and then Aya. And then everything goes bad.

On topic, I never really had much of a problem with Miko's glow-bubbles. Not sure why. At least on normal, I'm not crazy enough (yet) to try on Hard or Lunatic.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
   I recently got PoFV to work again. And I remembered what made me so angry about it: Aya. She's much more of an evil crow than Utsuho. I got her down to her last halfball TWICE and died BOTH times. I got to Komachi on my last life, and died on her last halfball. I don't know if her bullets are too fast when the screen gets full of them or what, but WHY IS SHE SO GODDAMNED HARD. I breeze through the early stages (except Sakuya for some reason, probably the knives, as said earlier), and then Aya. And then everything goes bad.
Just in case you don't know, the AI tends to last quite a while on the last hit, usually around 1 minute, so don't try to rush when you get at this point.
And yes, the fun starts at stage 6 in PoFV (and the real fun is in stage 9).
Keep at it, Aya isn't that hard when you're used to it, and you can stream a lot of what she sends in your way.

On-topic : I fail at everything in Touhou because there's nothing really motivating me anymore. Maybe I should start banging my head against stuff of the "way too hard" category, like EoSD/PCB LNB...

an unmatched sock

• Um...what's this?
  • Should I be concerned? I think I should be concern
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
Just in case you don't know, the AI tends to last quite a while on the last hit, usually around 1 minute, so don't try to rush when you get at this point.
And yes, the fun starts at stage 6 in PoFV (and the real fun is in stage 9).
Keep at it, Aya isn't that hard when you're used to it, and you can stream a lot of what she sends in your way.

Yeah, I know they're durable due to algorithms and such, which I hate...I actually got to Shiki, and got her down to one last halfball before I went down. I lasted close to 2:30, so that's not bad. I think.

What annoys enrages me is how I always manage to somehow lose a life on Aya. Usually 2 lives. Because her stupid special bullet has the most awkward hitbox. "Oh, you can activate a card from the center of the bullet, but so much as brush the side, and you're DEAD. But only sometimes." And then bullet spam until I explode. Also, she always manages to cancel my Level 4 cards or random boss encounters. Every time!

Sakuya and Marisa can be pretty brutal, too...but at least they don't dance their way through everything like Aya does. Even Komachi seems easier. Aya's bullcrap makes me just close out of the game and not reopen it. For a while, anyway.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »
That feel when you're bombing veeery carefully and precisely to inch your way toward 1cc and you have that ONE death that was stupid and you went out with full bombs cause you didn't expect to make such a novice mistake...
Then you gameover to the last spellcard of the game and you're thinking like, "If only I hadn't lost that spellcard to the tides of stupidity..."

On a related note, that feel when there's a fist-shaped hole in your computer monitor.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:10:51 PM by Space Flower »

Zil

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
Level 4 cards
Never use them.  They'll just be swept aside as the bosses bounce back and forth anyway. Stick to level 2 spells.
I always manage to somehow lose a life on Aya.
This is too be expected. I'm not sure what mode you're playing or what character, but in general, dying in stages 6 through 9 is very hard to avoid since the AI lasts so long. In general, it's around 3 minutes in the first round, and 2 minutes after you've lost once.

What's very strange though is that you'd find Aya harder than Komachi. Granted, difficulty is subjective, but I think most would say Aya is one of the easiest characters in the game, while Komachi is one of the hardest. As Reiko said, most of what Aya throws at you can be streamed, including the big special bullets. Try slowly working your way across the bottom, then using a level 2 to change direction. You're probably making things more chaotic than necessary by moving around too much.
Yeah, I know they're durable due to algorithms and such, which I hate
Don't hate it, it's the only thing holding the game together!

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 06:56:06 AM »

I died two seconds later.

If I only had one more bomb...Oh wait that's right I would have if I hadn't DIED WITH FULL BOMBS ON HER TIMEOUT

Then again, this was my first attempt at Ran that I did with actual skills(the last attempt was in March and got to her first spell), so I guess I shouldn't be too mad...

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8jt-69iHE&feature=youtu.be

Its shit like this that make me want to never touch anything Touhou related EVER AGAIN!
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970