Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V6  (Read 308363 times)

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V6
« Reply #630 on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »
I actually manged to finish making some OCs for a Touhou fan game concept/idea. And my 3 stage boss turned out really, really nice:

She's an otoroshi :'D Unfortunately, the others I worked on on and off tended to be 50/50 on whether they looked ZUN styled or not. Hopefully I don't have to make anymore revisions.

« Reply #631 on: November 02, 2016, 03:38:59 PM »

This is what consumed all of my productive free time over the past couple months.

« Reply #632 on: November 02, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
Cute

« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2016, 04:45:12 PM »

Himura Hashimoto

« Reply #634 on: December 17, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #635 on: January 23, 2017, 06:43:25 AM »
I ain't posted here in ages... mostly because I haven't drawn anything noteworthy in ages.

Not Touhou, just a personal character design.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #636 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
I ain't posted here in ages... mostly because I haven't drawn anything noteworthy in ages.
:persona:
i love it
man I need to learn the actually how to digital
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Spacechurro

• FiteMe;
task FiteMe{
    loop{
          let m = atan2(MyFistY-YourFaceY,MyFistX-YourFaceX);
          Punch01(GetMyX,GetMyY,100,m,REDFIST01,0);
          wait(1);  }     }

CenturyEgg

• Gentle older sister types are the best!
    • My world cosplay account
« Reply #638 on: February 11, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »
Clownpiece is terrifying in a really glorious way. Good impact there!

First post in the art side! I sketched these out as concept tests for redesigning costumes for touhou characters.

Byakuren http://i.imgur.com/1M8wLE0.jpg

Seiga http://i.imgur.com/7o9onKP.jpg

I don't have a scanner at the moment, so everything has taken with my crappy mobile phone camera. I intend to eventually make costumes from these sketches so if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the aesthetic or balance in the costume I'm all ears! I haven't been practicing drawing for awhile as well, so if anyone has tips on proportion and anatomy please feel free to point it out!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #639 on: February 11, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
I do like those two pictures! I assume the graph paper was to help with the costumings?

CenturyEgg

« Reply #640 on: February 12, 2017, 02:56:42 AM »
I do like those two pictures! I assume the graph paper was to help with the costumings?

It does! But it wasn't intentional. The paper is just of good quality and fits the binder I bought. I would have bought blank paper if they had it though

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #641 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
ooh these are beautiful, I'd love to see more of these. I'm a little sad that the seiga pic doesn't have that pretty handwriting of her name shown that the byakuren one does on the upper left (I'd almost want to just see character names written along lol).
no standout errors pop out at me so I have nothing to comment on that side of things, but please do more

e: ah your avatar pic changed so it slipped my notice, but now everything makes sense. I would be interested in seeing more of these even if you don't plan on making them into actual outfits
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:20:58 AM by Mеа »

CenturyEgg

« Reply #642 on: February 14, 2017, 10:26:36 AM »
Thanks! I'll upload abit more often when I have the chance. I've got a comfortable pace at work recently so some afternoons are good for a bit of idle sketching when there is no work to be done. Is it better if I start a thread or can I just post in the general?

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #643 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
There's no rule about it, but the people that post more would probably prefer keeping their posts all in one thread for collections sake or so they don't accidentally hijack the general thread.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #645 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
Now you need to make koishi's [Ancestors Standing beside your Bed]

« Reply #646 on: April 06, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
Now you need to make koishi's [Ancestors Standing beside your Bed]

Well, I have made this ?which is not too far off.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #648 on: May 07, 2017, 11:57:15 PM »
some stuff from recent-ish! it's been a really, really long time
Are you doing like a basic solids type practice? (looking at the 4th one)
I like how you go from really nice form and more realistic to more 'kawaii' but flatter/less form.

I think I'm at that same weird place where I want to draw with more 3dness/form but can't seem to integrate it with my previous style/idea of 'cute'.

edit: I found a recent-ish one on my phone. Case in point, though it's one of my more favorite recent ones.
Also, not following guides lol now that I look at it again :V
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:02:19 AM by Mеа »

« Reply #649 on: May 08, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:49:05 AM by Slascoplerd »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #650 on: May 08, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
That's a cute =]

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #651 on: May 10, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
I made this last year or so, but this time I had enough of the skirt looking like utter crap. I just had to fix it today, I couldn't stand looking at it anymore.

Old
New

It was not fun to redo  :( (3-4 hours to readjust everything so I don't have to redo the coloring and fix my jewel case with the new version)

But at least it doesn't bother me anymore.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #652 on: May 10, 2017, 04:02:05 PM »
That is a nice improvement.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #653 on: May 10, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
I'm very sorry for bringing this up in here but I'm having trouble. I've tried numerous times to get back into art and I always freeze up when working on anything hand drawn. So figured I'd try to get some kind of practice in through coloring before I begin practicing again, got permission from an artist to practice using their line art (something I've been seeing more lately!) and got to the point where I personally feel satisfied with eyes but had to stop since adding shadows and whatnot is gonna be hard on a laptop mouse so need to get a tablet for better control.

So I'm scared to draw... I need to practice hand drawing but I'm my worst critic top the point i give up before I start, but it's still something I have passion for that I can't express (which I express in other ways like graphic art or logo designs). Is there any advice or similar experience others went through to overcome their own critical self? I do understand that I wont be able to make a masterpiece right off the bat and it takes time. Sorry for bothering you all and thank you very much for taking the time to read this!
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #654 on: May 10, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »
That's a cute =]

A smiling Rumia is always cute~
Thanks man!

« Reply #655 on: May 10, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »
I've tried numerous times to get back into art and I always freeze up when working on anything hand drawn. So figured I'd try to get some kind of practice in through coloring before I begin practicing again, got permission from an artist to practice using their line art (something I've been seeing more lately!) and got to the point where I personally feel satisfied with eyes but had to stop since adding shadows and whatnot is gonna be hard on a laptop mouse so need to get a tablet for better control.

So I'm scared to draw... I need to practice hand drawing but I'm my worst critic top the point i give up before I start, but it's still something I have passion for that I can't express (which I express in other ways like graphic art or logo designs). Is there any advice or similar experience others went through to overcome their own critical self? I do understand that I wont be able to make a masterpiece right off the bat and it takes time. Sorry for bothering you all and thank you very much for taking the time to read this!

Hey Colticide, it's okay. We all have had that problem sometimes.

If you have anything that's stalling you from going forward in terms of digital art, have you tried doodling on paper? In my experience it helps train my abilities to draw whilst having less limitations compared to using a computer mouse.
At the very least, doodle. Get your fears out of the way through paper and pencil, until all your doubts are minimal. Don't be afraid of anything wrong or incorrect, just draw anything you can think of in a way that you could.

Hope that helps. Sorry if I said anything wrong. Just be confident, don't doubt yourself into submission. You'll grow eventually.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #656 on: May 11, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
Hey Colticide, it's okay. We all have had that problem sometimes.

If you have anything that's stalling you from going forward in terms of digital art, have you tried doodling on paper? In my experience it helps train my abilities to draw whilst having less limitations compared to using a computer mouse.
At the very least, doodle. Get your fears out of the way through paper and pencil, until all your doubts are minimal. Don't be afraid of anything wrong or incorrect, just draw anything you can think of in a way that you could.

Hope that helps. Sorry if I said anything wrong. Just be confident, don't doubt yourself into submission. You'll grow eventually.

The hardest part is getting started, that first step past the line of drawing and not drawing haha! I appreciate the advice, nothing wrong was said! The biggest issue is when one sees so many great artists and it hard to remember that they started out the same way (especially when you look at their early work!). I do have a drawing notebook that I would practice a bit but always felt I was going about it the wrong way, like I'm not drawing to develop my own style but copy a style.

Sorry if I'm being a bit stubborn on this, I don't mean to be I'm always willing to learn. It just takes a lot to really hammer down something you enjoy and want it to look right! Took me years of studying editing and YouTube algorithms  to figure out where I want to go with my channel and even then I'm still figuring out where to go and how to do it haha! ^w^

But I appreciate it! Very much appreciate it!

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #657 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »
I have this problem, its roots are usually in a lack of self perceived growth and a lack of motivation. The most effective way to keep going is to developing diligence and just keep working. Getting better most of the time isn't really fun, and like everyone else you're just going to have to deal with that. Take care not to develop an active hatred for doing it though. I usually balance study with fun personal pieces (which are also incredibly helpful in applying techniques).
In terms of self criticism, I have come dreadfully aware that my drawing ability is like a sine wave - meaning sometimes I am completely in control and understand my process, and other times I get incredibly frustrated with my inability to achieve results I either want to achieve, or have achieved before.
Short term remedies are to flip through your archive to acknowledge your improvements, or just get over it. Acknowledge that if you have achieved something you can achieve it again, albeit with some revision, or you can achieve your next short term goal with some carefully tailored study.

I recommend also that you actively train your patience. I've only recently recognised this as a problem, and you will probably realise it too later, but as you get better and try more complicated pieces, the amount of time you spend on a piece won't go down. The time you spend will grow and grow, and you will begin to definitely experience 'finish fatigue'. This kind of goes in hand with self criticism, but you will get doubts and mental fatigue when working on your piece. Thoughts like "This doesn't look good" or "I've spent 20 hours on this piece and I just want to restart and hopefully get a better composition and/or design next time". At this point, I usually have to just force myself to work through it, sometimes stopping early for the day, to achieve the maximum learning out of the piece before I resign it. If I want to someday achieve the final piece polish on the other end of this valley I am going to have to learn how to overcome this problem.

Finally some tips on starting pieces. I usually get most of my ideas throughout the day and just quickly scribble them on some paper so I can add them to my idea board later, or for studies just whenever I see something I really want to analyse during my trips through the internet. How about the times when you freeze up? As a digital artist, I dealt with 'white page syndrome' by starting my sketches on 20% grey instead of white, or adopting a silhouette strategy. If you are traditional, you probably can get some tanned paper, it's definitely less daunting. The next strategy is to ease yourself into the flow via gesture drawings - draw some line of actions or boxes to jump start some kind of pose/idea. The silhouette strategy also has this benefit. It is much much much much much much easier to draw off a base then off a blank slate. That's why most people choose to paint off photo plates too. Get good at converting preexisting shapes into an idea, and even if most of them your brain turns down, you'll eventually come across an idea you want to bring further.

These are, I think, most of the concepts that helped me to steadily progress. If you can overcome the battle with yourself, you can focus most of your energy into the technical skill battle, which is hard enough already. Don't take too long of hiatuses either. You can easily lose the psychological wall if you let your rhythm lapse for too long. Keep building that diligence.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #658 on: May 15, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
Oh hey, it still moves!

Bio? I don't remember him drawing anything, is he someone new?

Ah, I remember him now.

Still can't remember him drawing anything though.
So I am now mildly curious.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #659 on: May 16, 2017, 02:17:59 AM »
I have this problem, its roots are usually in a lack of self perceived growth and a lack of motivation. The most effective way to keep going is to developing diligence and just keep working. Getting better most of the time isn't really fun, and like everyone else you're just going to have to deal with that. Take care not to develop an active hatred for doing it though. I usually balance study with fun personal pieces (which are also incredibly helpful in applying techniques).
In terms of self criticism, I have come dreadfully aware that my drawing ability is like a sine wave - meaning sometimes I am completely in control and understand my process, and other times I get incredibly frustrated with my inability to achieve results I either want to achieve, or have achieved before.
Short term remedies are to flip through your archive to acknowledge your improvements, or just get over it. Acknowledge that if you have achieved something you can achieve it again, albeit with some revision, or you can achieve your next short term goal with some carefully tailored study.

I recommend also that you actively train your patience. I've only recently recognised this as a problem, and you will probably realise it too later, but as you get better and try more complicated pieces, the amount of time you spend on a piece won't go down. The time you spend will grow and grow, and you will begin to definitely experience 'finish fatigue'. This kind of goes in hand with self criticism, but you will get doubts and mental fatigue when working on your piece. Thoughts like "This doesn't look good" or "I've spent 20 hours on this piece and I just want to restart and hopefully get a better composition and/or design next time". At this point, I usually have to just force myself to work through it, sometimes stopping early for the day, to achieve the maximum learning out of the piece before I resign it. If I want to someday achieve the final piece polish on the other end of this valley I am going to have to learn how to overcome this problem.

Finally some tips on starting pieces. I usually get most of my ideas throughout the day and just quickly scribble them on some paper so I can add them to my idea board later, or for studies just whenever I see something I really want to analyse during my trips through the internet. How about the times when you freeze up? As a digital artist, I dealt with 'white page syndrome' by starting my sketches on 20% grey instead of white, or adopting a silhouette strategy. If you are traditional, you probably can get some tanned paper, it's definitely less daunting. The next strategy is to ease yourself into the flow via gesture drawings - draw some line of actions or boxes to jump start some kind of pose/idea. The silhouette strategy also has this benefit. It is much much much much much much easier to draw off a base then off a blank slate. That's why most people choose to paint off photo plates too. Get good at converting preexisting shapes into an idea, and even if most of them your brain turns down, you'll eventually come across an idea you want to bring further.

These are, I think, most of the concepts that helped me to steadily progress. If you can overcome the battle with yourself, you can focus most of your energy into the technical skill battle, which is hard enough already. Don't take too long of hiatuses either. You can easily lose the psychological wall if you let your rhythm lapse for too long. Keep building that diligence.

This! Thank you so much! Its the exact words that really hit home to what I'm feeling! While it's been far too long since I drew on paper but I use what you had suggested with shapes to bring an idea to something rather than to stare at a blank screen. I used that same technique to make my Reimu sprite a few years ago.

Using sprite pieces to get as close as I can to see where I want to go with it is one of many ways I do graphic art. To a bit of a stretch I do the same with create a characters, (mostly in the one in soul calibur 5's~) hit random until I see something that catches my eye and over weeks make adjustments to them. Never really though about applying the same logic to paper... Thank you very very much! The right words were said!