Author Topic: Academy of Hope and High School Students of Despair [Danganronpa Thread]  (Read 25838 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Finally it's here. The show...IT'S HAPPENING!
Guhehehehehe~

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:54:56 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Re: Academy of Hope and High School Students of Despair
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »
my body is fucking ready

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »
[15:14:34] <Polaris> well the anime stays true to the game
[15:14:44] <Polaris> almost bizarrely so
[15:14:56] <Astarotte_Dormvar> how boring

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »
i havent actually played the games so fuck yes

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »
I'm just waiting to see how
Spoiler:
the investigation and trial mechanics
are dealt with.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:16:32 AM by Yoshino »

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
I dunno what is scarier, the fact my favorite cosplayers are already cosplaying this LONG before the show aired, or that it is in the same season as Free! AKA We Homo and We are Ok with Swimming anime
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
My sister is pretty crazy about this series, and is cosplaying a character today at a con. I'm sure she'll be in the thread after it ends.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:44:45 PM »
I'm not sure I want to bother watching if it's exactly the same as the game, but I guess we'll find out next episode. I doubt it's any different though, it's pretty hard to write good murder cases.

Not a bad adaptation, I just think I won't enjoy it if I'm already spoiled on the whole thing.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
I watched it this morning, and I'm pretty new to all of this. I don't care much for LPs, so I've only read the intro and a few bits of the first chapter-- so pretty much everything in all of this episode was nothing new to me aside from the DVDs, so I'm intrigued and want to see more.

For as much as I've seen people criticize Dangan Ronpa's character designs, I have to say I rather like most of them...

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »
I'm much less pleased that Space Journey is -exactly- the same as Space Journey from the game, they didn't even add an audible Monobear snigger. This implies that all the cutscenes will be copy/pasted wholesale into the anime.. :/

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
I'm not-so-pleased so far but I assume we haven't gotten to any of the meat yet.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 03:06:12 AM »
holy fuck is that soraru singing the ending

Zerviscos

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
Meh, they did took some scenes from the game...let's just see how they fare in the next episode.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »
Wouldn't have minded a bit more artistic license.
Spoiler:
That way we can possibly see more of best character.
Anyway, the storyline is there but there's no sense of tension; I feel like the anime is missing...I guess an emotional heart? It's like kids in high school English class reading Shakespeare in monotone. Feels kinda like it's just going through the motions I guess.
Looking forward to see how they continue with this,

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
ya, I saw the first episode and it was.... not really dramatized well?  I dunno.  didn't like it.

Don't lynch me.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
Looks like I won't be dropping this.

I mean, most of the original gripes are still there, but things are interesting now, at least. (not that the perpetrator isn't obvious but YOU KNOW)

What's the deal with
Spoiler:
pink blood
?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
What's the deal with
Spoiler:
pink blood
?

I thought that always was a thing, as far as I had heard. When they were just announcing the anime, I was seeing posts about people being happy they stuck with that.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
So I found out who the perpetrator is and I didn't even have to watch the whole thing twice. I thought this was going to be more of a challenge ._.

Spoiler:
Also I am going to call bullshit if Sakura gets killed before this generic, spineless, careless and overall very murderable main character does.

I am very amused by Sakura. And very relieved that Maizono died early and shouldn't have to explain why.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:30 PM »
All right, finished watching episode 2.

Spoiler:
What is it with this season and killing off the characters I like most in all of the shows right away?

Thanks to tumblr, I already know the killer is
Spoiler:
Leon
. But what gets me is, I don't understand why Naegi seems so worried for his own sake.

Monokuma directly stated that if an innocent person is accused of murder, it would be the rest of the jury that gets punished, and the accused gets a reward. Naegi is safe no matter what, unless he too makes an incorrect accusation. Everyone else, on the other hand... they need to not jump to conclusions so quickly.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure it's the True Culprit who gets the award (freedom), not the accused.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 03:30:03 AM »
I don't really like the opening theme. I don't think rap fits very well with the original track.

I guess there's
Spoiler:
no free time events. What a pity.
They also skipped
Spoiler:
a couple of pieces of evidence and conversations. Like the missing knife from the kitchen plus the people that could have taken it and how Naegi got the ornamental sword etc. Oh well I guess that's what happens when you only have 13 episodes to work with.

Whatever, time to see how the trial is handled.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:51 AM »
Spoiler:
And very relieved that Maizono died early and shouldn't have to explain why.
Spoiler:
nooo best character ;-;

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
If we're putting spoilers in spoiler tags we might as well put a spoiler tag on the thread title considering there's a spoiler in the OP  :derp:

I've read the LP, and am watching the anime mainly just to hear all the CVs at work aaaaah
Also on the pink blood

A note for people who are not color blind

Because of the intricacies of the Japanese game rating system, blood in this game is colored pink. Rest assured, though, it is human blood you will be looking at, and it doesn't mean our characters are secretly aliens or elves. If this bothers you too much, I suggest either reading this LP wearing red-tinted glasses or going on a nightlong photoshop color-correction frenzy.

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
oh man i cant wait to see how the main character and his childhood friend will

Spoiler:
aaand shes dead

Zerviscos

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
oh man i cant wait to see how the main character and his childhood friend will

Spoiler:
aaand shes dead
LOL. It was both funny and sad at the same time.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I play a similar game at my university with a few friends so I'm behind this anime.

Am I supposed to not be wondering things like "Why don't they investigate how the fridge gets refilled (i.e. how food gets into the place)?" and
Spoiler:
"How structurally sound is a building where impaling spears, or some other crazy trap, is probably covering every inch of the building?"
. If there were some rule banning destruction of property, then I'd understand (I'm afraid to go look for the rules myself in case I spoil something... again).

Also,
Spoiler:
who's sleeve was by the garbage disposal place?

...Ok one more of these: Why are there steel plates covering windows? Are the windows better protected then the walls because... the notion of a window makes the wall inherently weaker?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:05:52 PM by Imosa »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• I don't bite... much.
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »
Well, the trial scene was disappointing too. I still don't know why they planned to finish the entire thing in 13 episodes. I mean, so much content was cut from the first trial alone and stuff. Any conversations during the investigation phase just disappeared and we missed a lot of conversations in the story phase before that.
Spoiler:
Why do we even care about Leon when he's had like, 5 lines of dialogue outside of the end trial sequence. Why does Naegi have an ornamental sword in his room? What happened to the point about the room being cleaned?
I didn't particularly like how they tried to shoehorn the evidence bullets from the game into the trial either.
Also, I found it amusing that
Spoiler:
the execution was cut too for censorship or whatever
Well, whatever.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:50:50 AM by Yoshino »

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
Also, I found it amusing that
Spoiler:
the execution was cut too for censorship or whatever
Well, whatever.
wait whaaaat

thats like the best part of digin roper :<

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
Wow did that trial disappoint me, it all seemed so artificial and fabricated and ungenuine. And I didn't even read the VN or play the game or whatever it was.

The only part I actually liked was
Spoiler:
how Kirigiri tried to get Naegi to reach some sort of compromise in forgiving Maizono because that's the sort of thing you have to do in your head to be able to shake it off and live on with life without having the issue pop into your head every day until you go insane. That was kinda realistic until the main character guy decided he was going to screw the rules and get green hair or something.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
@Vhaltzotsuki, one thing that I realized before going is that I really didn't want to see a show about teenagers trying to cope with the problems of a stressful situation that forces them to murder. I kinda figured that I'd never believe any of the characters in this show. If this whole situation happened in real life, I don't think anyone would be murdered (people would be too busy trying to tear down walls).

@Yoshino, I imagine they just drew this one out so people got a sense of how these things work. It does seem like they'll have to compress future events... or someone is going to have to kill tons of people.

Evidence bullets? What the fuck are those? Is that how real courts work? What's going on here?

Is there a reason
Spoiler:
Leon didn't just keep the clothes until the next morning
? Also,
Spoiler:
I can't help but feel the fortune teller or Doujin writer would have been better targets