Author Topic: Which Touhou Game is the Hardest/Easiest?  (Read 65978 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Re: Which Touhou Game is the Hardest/Easiest?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
EoSD, 'cause it was the only game in Windows that didn't have a visible hitbox, and I retried it more than any of the games I've played.

Though, it did help me improve my bombing, streaming and grazing ability more than any of the other games.
Note: I didn't finish EoSD, went straight to PCB, then I went back to finish it only after I finished IN.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Bigyingyi

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Yo don't be saying the photog games aren't part of the main games. Unless by 'main' you mean 'shooters'.

Yeah, I actually meant that it was only the shooting games, not the photography games nor the Great Fairy Wars.

chum

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
Hardest is prob SA because you cant just bomb your way through cards you suck at.

suuuuure

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »
suuuuure

The hardest game is Mountain of Faith because you can't bomb through anything hard in that game!  :fail:

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »
suuuuure

Going from Full to 0 Power sucks lol
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »
EoSD has been the easiest for me, but I've played that the most.

SA and UFO the hardest in terms of challenge... but PoFV is hard for me because I don't get it.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »

Use ReimuC. You can get a lot of distance out of bombing once every two patterns or so (considering that her bomb is the typical "Skip pattern plz").

Seppo Hovi

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2013, 09:28:33 PM »
Hardest is prob SA because you cant just bomb your way through cards you suck at.
Watch this to educate yourself a bit.

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
Welp, now I consider my self educated, lol. I never really touched Reimu C, but I see I'll have to do that now.

Too many times I would use pretty much every other shot type and get annoyed that I used 4 bombs on 1 card. Never realized that there was a "Skip pattern plz" shot type.
Youtube

chum

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
Other shot types can bomb spam quite effectively too, though, just FYI. I know being at 0 power sucks, but you also have to take into account that the power drops are all over the place in SA.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
Plus, you do have to know how to actually dodge, and get used to Reimu C's controls which, though I thought they were fun, had a pretty steep learning curve for me.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

chum

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:25 PM »
Plus, you do have to know how to actually dodge, and get used to Reimu C's controls which, though I thought they were fun, had a pretty steep learning curve for me.

I dunno, that would depend on your definition of dodge, because the stages are made up almost entirely of streaming.

Formless God

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
- bomb the shit out of everything
- stream for 3 seconds
- max power
- repeat
hardest gaem ever

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
It's at least harder than MoF. It doesn't really throw THAT much power at you - you'll run out of all of your power before you recover more than one bomb most of the time.

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »
Normal, though. There isn't as much stuff to graze, so auto-collect is a bit more sketchy.

I tried out Reimu C a few mins ago. Feels a lot like Youmu from IN, so shouldn't be too difficult to adjust to it, imo.
Youtube

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »
I dunno, that would depend on your definition of dodge, because the stages are made up almost entirely of streaming.
Almost entirely, yeah, but there are some points in that SA run that are going to require some skill to keep from tipping over. Not many of them, though.

The shot's controls, on review, don't seem to require more than vertical, horizontal, or tilt towards source of stream. That sure simplifies things.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »
Nah, SA still has the hardest Normal (you guys KNOW the OP is talking about Normal only right? There's no point in saying that YOU have no problems with the game if you are already skilled), you can't just bomb everything and rely on dodging alone because you'll be out of power forever. If you don't memorize the stages you won't be able to recover. Arguments of "well just memorize it then, you won't have problems anymore" don't cut it, because memorizing takes time, which means you'll have to play and retry a lot more than other games before you finally do it. Memorizing is also not as easy as it sounds, especially for newbies.
At least Okuu is really easy compared to other last bosses, you just have to make sure you beat Orin with at least 2-3 lives left and not mess up too much in the rest of the game.

- bomb the shit out of everything
- stream for 3 seconds
- max power
- repeat
hardest gaem ever
That so does not happen. You get maybe 1 bomb back, maybe 2, and that's stage 4 only. Stage 5 is hard as hell and streaming won't save you if you bomb everything and don't memorize it. And everybody knows what happens when you are out of power on Orin and you don't know her gimmicks...

I think now DDC comes a close second, a little harder than UFO. Patterns are hard for a Normal, and you have to risk yourself going to the PoC to get resources. But if you do, you should have enough to bomb anything you have problems with. 3 bomb per life also helps a lot.

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
That so does not happen. You get maybe 1 bomb back, maybe 2, and that's stage 4 only. Stage 5 is hard as hell and streaming won't save you if you bomb everything and don't memorize it. And everybody knows what happens when you are out of power on Orin and you don't know her gimmicks...

Does too. You get about 2xx power back if you die at 0xx power iirc so even if you die before getting back to full power, you will get power back to help you get back on your feet again. As for Orin, get to know her gimmicks and there will be no such problem. Being out of power on Orin never means you are screwed.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:08 PM »
you guys KNOW the OP is talking about Normal only right?

Just kidding ;w;
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 11:56:41 PM »
Nah, SA still has the hardest Normal (you guys KNOW the OP is talking about Normal only right? There's no point in saying that YOU have no problems with the game if you are already skilled), you can't just bomb everything and rely on dodging alone because you'll be out of power forever. If you don't memorize the stages you won't be able to recover. Arguments of "well just memorize it then, you won't have problems anymore" don't cut it, because memorizing takes time, which means you'll have to play and retry a lot more than other games before you finally do it. Memorizing is also not as easy as it sounds, especially for newbies.
At least Okuu is really easy compared to other last bosses, you just have to make sure you beat Orin with at least 2-3 lives left and not mess up too much in the rest of the game.

Watch this to educate yourself a bit.

stop talking nonsense. you have no idea what you are talking about. you're the kind of person who's tell a new player to start by learning to deathbomb. that's not a good thing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:58:23 PM by Sakurei »

Formless God

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2013, 11:58:22 PM »
sorry, double post
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:00:55 AM by Formless Mass »

Formless God

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
It's at least harder than MoF. It doesn't really throw THAT much power at you - you'll run out of all of your power before you recover more than one bomb most of the time.
That so does not happen.
Yeah, I exaggerated it, but I don't think getting free resources by simply staying at the bottom and doing what you normally do (or streaming! now that's some dangerous maneuvers) is nearly as hard as having to go all the way to the PoC (excluding MoF, of course, in that game you bomb to get more bombs to bomb to get more bombs)

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »

Just kidding ;w;
Didn't this comic originally said EASY Mode? Just curious.
And to be honest, if you can't finish any of the games on easy, or hell, even NORMAL for some extent, there is something going REALLY wrong with your hand-eye coordiantion. Atleast in my eyes.

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2013, 12:10:40 AM »
Didn't this comic originally said EASY Mode? Just curious.

Yup, I did a 5 second edit  :derp:
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »
As for Orin, get to know her gimmicks and there will be no such problem. Being out of power on Orin never means you are screwed.
What did I just say? lol

Arguments of "well just memorize it then, you won't have problems anymore" don't cut it, because memorizing takes time, which means you'll have to play and retry a lot more than other games before you finally do it. Memorizing is also not as easy as it sounds, especially for newbies.

Before a new player understands all of Orin's attacks, he will game over a lot. A loooooooooot. Everybody I know had problems on her, no exceptions.
I know people that lose like 5+ lives on Orin and don't have too many problems with other games. People who have 1cc'd a few Hard modes and gave up on SA normal.
Even if you get a gist of her attacks, there's no garantee that you'll do well, especially if you are out of power. If you screw up you can die many times unsuspectedly or bomb more than you should.

Yeah, I exaggerated it, but I don't think getting free resources by simply staying at the bottom and doing what you normally do (or streaming! now that's some dangerous maneuvers) is nearly as hard as having to go all the way to the PoC (excluding MoF, of course, in that game you bomb to get more bombs to bomb to get more bombs)

That doesn't work so well in Stage 5. Besides, it's not so hard to get stuck in a corner when you don't know how to stream very well yet. And you would be surprised at how many people don't know how to stream properly or they don't know that they should be streaming. And even if you do it right in stages, you can stil get stomped by the bosses. Not fun getting only 2 power back when you die with 0.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »
Yup, I did a 5 second edit  :derp:
At this rate, I think I'll see a comic that looks like this by the end of the year

Except done less lasily and being actually serious  :derp:
AND MAN THE FUCK UP, PEOPLE, LUNATIC IS FOR SPERMS! REAL MAN PLAY ON ULTRA!

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

Formless God

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2013, 12:18:59 AM »
game is hard because the person playing has no idea what the fuck
man you win this thread
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:20:42 AM by Formless Mass »

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »
Before a new player understands all of Orin's attacks, he will game over a lot. A loooooooooot. Everybody I know had problems on her, no exceptions.
I know people that lose like 5+ lives on Orin and don't have too many problems with other games. People who have 1cc'd a few Hard modes and gave up on SA normal.
Even if you get a gist of her attacks, there's no garantee that you'll do well, especially if you are out of power. If you screw up you can die many times unsuspectedly or bomb more than you should.

are you trying to be wrong? why would you even play full credits if you don't know the bosses well. there is this thing called stage practice. use it for fucks' sake. then you won't game over "a loooooooooooooooot". stop posting dumb things on purpose

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »
mountain of faith normal mode is really hard

ufo is pretty easy and so it ddc

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
Maybe he's just trying to ape the PCB elitist retards over at the shmups farm who refuses to use practice options.