Author Topic: Which Touhou Game is the Hardest/Easiest?  (Read 66051 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Which Touhou Game is the Hardest/Easiest?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »
Also, SA AIN'T THE HARDEST NORMAL!! ARGHHH  :getdown:

I've found it to be slightly harder just because once you start to get a UFO route down it is possibly to go nuts with bomb stacking in UFO. Messing up even slightly can still waste all of those resources very quickly, but if things are going okay it can give you the extra push that it takes to finish the game. Then again I find Utsuho to be way, waaaay more difficult than it seems most people do, so yeah, subjective.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 11:09:53 PM »
If I were to say, Ten Desires is the easiest on Normal BY FAR. The first time I played it, I litterally lost my first life on Futo, and only because I was almost sleeping at that point. and then I lost all of my continues on Toyosatomimi no Miko because I COULDN'T FREAKIN' LOOK AT THE BLOODY SCREEN. And also, PoFV is pretty easy as well, that is, if the computer feels like taking it easy on you  :V
And the hardest, I really can't tell for sure, because I haven't really played 10-12 properly, (because I have the same problems with these games as I have with Toyota, WHY DOES EVERYTHING HAS TO BE SO SMALL, COLORFUL AND MOVE SO FAST!!! ARGH) but through the little that I played of every single one of the aforementioned, I'd say they are the hardest  :V

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 12:37:12 AM »
If I recall correctly from my first Normal clears, LLS was by far the easiest; as Chirpy said, play Hard for Normal-like gameplay. MS was also relatively easy (but it has a difficult Easy mode in comparison to later games). MoF was pretty difficult because I couldn't dodge Kanako's final and had to spend like 4 lives on it. EoSD is hard to bomb through but I don't recall having too much trouble with Normal (it's Hard/Lunatic where I'd rank it higher). No idea about TD because the game wasn't released until I'd already been getting Hard 1ccs.

Going from the perspective of attempting to perfect Normal (which I haven't succeeded at in any game but did 3DNB or better most of the series), SA has the hardest patterns, and UFO is somewhere up there as expected (especially if you aren't using SanaeB for easy stage portions), but IN (4B/6B route) was surprisingly hard. As was MoF, but that might just have been lack of familiarity with no-bombing the stage portions.

So, how's HRtP in terms of difficulty?
I actually like the game.
It's hard to describe. If you're going for a clear (as opposed to LNB or something), it's mostly about learning how to make use of sliding to aim the orb, and how to properly use bombs to trivialize the stage portions, which I think is sort of level with developing routes to bomb through the other games' Hard, but perhaps not.

There's also very little difference between difficulties. Stage turrets don't shoot on Easy, and cards fire bullets on Lunatic (a major difference if you're no-bombing the game, nearly irrelevant otherwise), but bosses barely change at all. It's easier to bomb through Lunatic than Hard though, because you get more points and therefore more lives.

Blue

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • aaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 06:21:58 AM »
Speaking from the number of tries it took me to 1cc each game, SA is the hardest. It's the only one that actually took me a full 10 tries to clear.

The easiest is IN, just because of the insanely high number of starting lives you can have. It took me 2 tries, after game overing to unlock the 7 lives option. For whatever reason, UFO also took the same number of tries.

UFO took two tries. I'm still wondering how exactly that happened.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Toho 11.5 is the hardest 1cc.

I bet you can't even do it.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 04:04:59 AM »
I take back what I said about UFO.  Mystical Power Plant is hardest normal mode.

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
For me IN was the easiest, and SA the hardest. If you tend to die with bombs, then TD probably isn't easier than IN. It's just, IN gives so many lives and bombs that even if you fail hard you can still finish it. And SA is just cruel.

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 04:19:43 AM »
My list might be really different than others. I'm not counting the side games.
I know I listed something different on the Touhou 14 topic, but I wasn't thinking then.
IN is the easiest because of the resources and that you can 1cc even if you had to continue.
TD is supposedly easy, except I can't get that normal 1cc.
MoF is easy because of the bombing, and because the danmaku was pretty spread out. Can almost 1cc this.
PCB is actually hard, considering it is counted as the easiest. I can't beat Youmu. Youmu is pretty hard, the rest of the game is easy.
EoSD is just hard because of the hitboxes.
UFO is supposedly hard, except I, the one who can't normal 1cc TD, just almost got my normal 1cc.
SA is just plain dense. It's fun though.

Currently a normal player

yorgje

• I couldn't resist being a dumbass!
    • STGrillz: Touhou streams etc.
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:11 AM »
Hmm, let's see,  I think the 2hu game that makes me the hardest is probably IN. There's really a lot of lewd text in it! For instance, if you choose route 6A at the end of stage 5 as Border team, Reimu mentions that she and Yukari had been shooting off Reisen's clothes throughout their fight, and then she threatens to shoot the rest of them off. Ahh~ Also, Youmu criticizes Yuyuko for spreading her "shots" so wide. Youmu! Please! My goodness! And this is really only the tip of the ice berg. I don't want to spoil any more of the game for those of you who haven't played it yet, but, yeah, very lewd.

I think the 2hu that's easiest is probably HRtP, because most young boys probably pray to have sex at some point, so, well, okay I think you know where this goes.

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
Well, I don't do much Normal, but for Easy, I think it's a tie between IN and SA for easiest, and EoSD for hardest.
checkFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED
checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
<Die The death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »
Contradicting to my OP, the photography games are now my least favorite.

Seriously, ZUN? Make me retry 91 photos for 1-3??

*rages in the background*
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
Easiest is probably IN even with normal stock of lives. I have no idea how people think that PCB is the easiest. Prismrivers, Youmu and Yuyuko. *shudders*
Hardest in my opinion is UFO. Murasa with her anchors and timeout spell, then curvy lasers madness and Byakuren is not much better.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2013, 02:19:59 AM »
MoF is definitely the easiest for me so far. It only took me two tries to beat on normal. Hardest is probably UFO, but I guess that's because I haven't had much practice.

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Easiest is probably IN even with normal stock of lives. I have no idea how people think that PCB is the easiest. Prismrivers, Youmu and Yuyuko. *shudders*
Hardest in my opinion is UFO. Murasa with her anchors and timeout spell, then curvy lasers madness and Byakuren is not much better.
I think PCB can fluctuate depending on who you use. I mean, SakuyaA is absolutely ridiculous. bombs are basically expendable to her, and she has everything. Focusshot removes the need to ever plan a route for a stage. Just stream occasionally, and use Indiscriminate when there's a high payoff of point items. Killer Doll absolutely destroys 90% of spellcards. I say this as a noob who has 1cc'd PCB Hard and nothing else on Normal.
But then, from what I've played with Marisa, her speed and collection prowess put her in a near-constant state of cherry border.

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »
IN is the easiest, for me. The amount of extra lives/bombs you get is pretty ridiculous, and being able to clear bullets with OK timing makes makes normal a cakewalk. Plus, even though death-bombing uses 2 bombs, it's still always better than letting bombs go to waste, which happens much more often than in other games.

UFO is certainly the hardest though. To me, the difficulty of even stage one feels comparable to stage 3 of other games (and it obviously only gets more difficult from there).
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »
I don't play the PC-98 games much so for me the hardest is UFO which I cannot beat all the time on hard mode. SA for me isn't the hardest since I can beat the game on Lunatic although only with Reimu shot types.

The easiest is...

Maybe imperishable night? It's either that or Ten Desires.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Gray21oh

• An excuse for a title
  • This is suppose to be nonsensical except it isn't
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:41 AM »
I'd say LLS, PCB and TD are the easiest due to their different mechanics with the score. LLS using bombs, PCB's border mechanic and TD's trance gauge being those.
Personally, I don't think IN is as easy as everyone says. Sure you get lots of resources but I don't find that helps of your not use to the shot types or you dunno how to dodge any patterns. Although I find it weird I can remember every other games patterns but not IN's for some reason.
I'm going to say both SA and UFO are pretty hard for how dense they can get on harder difficulties and with UFO the UFO's can get pretty annoying to get like hiding in a barrage. I guess if you want to count it SoEW could rank up to really hard also only because there's no way to slow down in that game.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 04:19:17 AM »
IN is somewhere in the middle for me, as it always turns into an almost-no-focus run without meaning to...

Dang time!
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »

Personally, Reisen gives me  a lot more trouble than Youmu ever could. Prismrivers fight is gimmicky but not as hard with practice; Reisen's gimmick is just particularly hard to get down for me. It's a matter of what kind of attacks give individual players the most trouble tbh.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Bigyingyi

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
The hardest game on normal that I have played was UFO (NEVER got past the 3rd stage) the easiest was DDC (easier to get lives in Stage 3)

Two different games with two different perspectives.  :]

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
Touhou main games from easiest to hardest according to my opinion.

IN =< TD < MoF (it's more like bombing than shooting game, really) < DDC (thanks to plenty of resource) < EoSD (all u need to do is getting used with the hitbox) < PCB < SA < UFO
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Bigyingyi

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
Contradicting to my OP, the photography games are now my least favorite.

I thought it was only the main Touhou games!

Y U NO TELL ME?!?!?!?!?!?!??!   :V :wat: :derp:

ViciousYukkuri

• Casually Hardcore
  • All is best 2hu.
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
Hardest I would have to go with UFO or SA. UFO overall is harder, but SA has Orin. Orin's harder than Utsuho. Hell, Orin's harder than a number of final bosses.
Easiest is a harder question. It'd be between TD, IN or DDC. TD, while on the easy end, has a lack of lives that makes even a tiny mistake a huge deal, and Miko has some pretty nasty spellcards, not to mention more of them. IN also is a lower difficulty, but Reimu, Marisa and Reisen are stupid hard. And DDC...Seija. And Shinmyoumaru's spellcard that makes you large is just a huge ball of WTF.
I finally got my first Normal 1cc. ReimuA, TD.
I have a noob stream now. Mostly Touhou, fangames, Warframe and League of Legends.
Currently playing: Nothing until ESO is out.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »
Yo don't be saying the photog games aren't part of the main games. Unless by 'main' you mean 'shooters'.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
When I see talk of the 'main' games I think of the integer games (with an emphasis on the windows ones).

So if someone were to post something like, "Finally just 1cc'd all the main Touhou games on Normal!!  :D" I automatically assume they've managed to 1cc Touhou 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 (+ 14 now) on normal, unless elaborated further~  :derp:

Even then, it's still a bit iffy, as some people also skip Touhou 9.  Hmph >:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:58:03 PM by Nindella »
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 03:57:49 PM »
Oh, don't mind me, just my bias at work.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
Easiest: I would say maybe EoSD, IN, LLS.  Overall difficulty, but I'm not skilled enough to go lunatic on all games so I'm not sure (TD is harder for me since I suck at the spirit system).

Hardest: Probably PoDD. Even on normal.

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 04:22:01 AM »
Hardest is prob SA because you cant just bomb your way through cards you suck at.

Easiest is prob IN because the border team trivilizes entire stages to the point where the only remotely difficult stage is both stage 6s.
Youtube

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 04:54:25 AM »
After seriously playing all of the main games (minus PoFV) for normal 1ccs, I now feel like UFO is the most difficult game as opposed to SA because SA is more easily learnable. At least, that is how I felt while playing it.

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:48 PM »
Meh, I think it's too easy to gain extra lives in UFO to consider it to be the hardest.
Youtube