Author Topic: 5th Touhou Nico Dousai - Touhou Popularity Contest - Results are in!  (Read 84065 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: 5th Touhou Nico Dousai - Touhou Popularity Contest - Results are in!
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »
Any sexual promiscuity on Sanae's part is purely far-fetched fan conjecture that basically went human girl on the outside = schoolgirl = OBVIOUSLY HOT BECAUSE WE'RE HORNY OTAKU = SLUT. It's a dumb meme and seeing it used in some fanart celebrating Sakuya's return...Rubbed me the wrong way.

I like Sakuya *and* Sanae, for the record, though I admittedly don't mind Sanae taking a break from the playable roster. I just wish it hadn't been so sudden.

Let us be more dignified than name calling. I've talked people out of bringing up some fairly incendiary topics/comparisons in Touhou discussions elsewhere and I think it was for the best for all parties involved.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:32:14 AM by Puppy Puppy Puppy »

tohosubs

• Admin: persceaux
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
By the way, the Japanese Touhou community on G+ is organizing its first (probably very small-scale) popularity poll: http://nazr.in/5D5
7/7-7/21. Result to be announced 8/4.

In case the organizer hasn't fixed them, the last four questions are supposed to mean the following:
"What is your favorite storyline in Touhou, among official works? e.g. Imperishable Night, Silent Sinner in Blue."
"What is your favorite storyline in Touhou, among fanworks?"
"How did you find out about Touhou Project?"
"If you have any last comments about this poll, please enter them here."
English subtitles for Touhou derivative works from Nico, translated and reprinted on YouTube with the creators' permission. The admin is a native JP/EN speaker.
/r/touhou wiki's Nico Portal

« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
tbh, I like every character. I just prefer some a bit more than others. :3 I understand some people have dislikes and stronger preferences, but there's no need to argue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:44:03 PM by aquamarin »

« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
I think the only Touhou character that's canonically displayed any confirmable signs of a sex drive "on-screen" is Reimu, hilariously enough (when she commented in SSiB that she was interested in summoning a god because he was said to be quite handsome). Anything else that could remotely have anything confirmable to do with love (such as characters who had spouses and children) all happened off screen.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
tbh, I like every character. I just prefer some a bit more than others. :3 I understand some people have dislikes and stronger preferences, but there's no need to argue.
Pretty much the same for me. If there is something I hate, it is some of the characters from the "popular" fanon view. I were close to hating characters like yuuka/flandre/kaguya just because of their dumbed down fanon versions.

For the other discussion; embers of love anyone? :V

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
Sanae being higher than the last (official) Popularity Poll, if only a place higher is rather comforting. She's still well-liked despite her disapperance  :3. I miss her #2 days though.

Too bad Alice isn't #2 anymore either, but I guess it's Koishi's time to shine - she's actually pretty interesting now, being crucial to HM and all. I'm more than satisfied with Youmu, Udonge and Kogasa too (sucker for moe).
Scarlets' place was obvious considering their doujin backing. Now, if someone could only explain what is it with Wriggle being so low? She's full forty places below Rumia despite being IMO far more memorable and actually pretty nice and hardworking (the bug service campaign)  :derp:. Yuuka staying so high despite her repulsive personality kind of puzzles me too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:41:31 PM by Critz »

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:13 PM »
Yuuka staying so high despite her repulsive personality kind of puzzles me too.
Because she's Youkai moe~

Seriously though, the personality part is subjective. Most people may see Yuuka as a brutal sadistic monster, but I would rather see her as a peaceful flower lady, being one with nature but with her ancient and powerful youkai side hidden inside. Just being powerful may be a reason for some to like her, after all. (She also seems to enjoy annoying others or being creepy, but that's another story.)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #157 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:37 AM »
Yuuka staying so high despite her repulsive personality kind of puzzles me too.

She's arguably the closest thing we have to a villain. Some people like villains. I do. Hell, I wish she was more evil and around more often. Then she'd be higher on my list.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2013, 05:28:12 AM »
Scarlets' place was obvious considering their doujin backing. Now, if someone could only explain what is it with Wriggle being so low? She's full forty places below Rumia despite being IMO far more memorable and actually pretty nice and hardworking (the bug service campaign)  :derp:.

Rumia's the first boss in the Windows series. That should score some points.

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Why has this thread become "Why is this character so popular despite the fact that I don't completely love them therefore they are disgusting and overrated Ugh" so much?

Drake

« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
Why has this thread become "Why is this character so popular despite the fact that I don't completely love them therefore they are disgusting and overrated Ugh" so much?
does this really require an answer

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »
Y'all know Koishi should've been #1 fuk dat slut Raymoo

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:32 AM »
Y'all know Koishi should've been #1

Wrong.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2013, 01:59:59 AM »
Everybody knows that Reimu is #1 due to she's the main character!  :trollface:

Spoiler:
Nope, Reisen for the win!
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2013, 02:06:13 AM »
Nope, Reisen for the win!

This woman knows what she's talking about.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:10:04 AM by InfiniteWave »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2013, 02:07:28 AM »
This man knows what he's talking about.
I'm a girl.  :derp:

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2013, 02:09:26 AM »
Let me just edit my post then, sorry. The typical internet rule is that if you don't know the gender assume it's male.

Zil

« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2013, 02:12:05 AM »
fuk dat slut Raymoo
Gladly
Let me just edit my post then, sorry. The typical internet rule is that if you don't know the gender assume it's male.
Or check the profile.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »
Right. Even better then Reisen.
ftfy

BV

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2013, 03:18:12 AM »
Never really understood why people see Kokoro as creepy...

There's worse out there.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:24 AM »
Kokoro in my opinion is cute due to the fact she uses masks to express her feelings which makes her more interesting.

@Firestorm29: Damn you nostalgia!

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2013, 05:28:31 AM »
Everybody knows that Reimu is #1 due to she's the main character!  :trollface:
Never heard of a better reason. :V

Additionally, my special Yuuka ideas in the comment section: www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4gaWY5THh4&lc=oRmGROe9JPUML2fy_1PmP7wC_tnW5qiDRKiURUnz9cc
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:39:44 PM by Darkness1 »

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2013, 01:28:03 AM »
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but it just made me made when I heard it.

Sanae replaced Mokou, Kaguya, Nitori and Wriggle (All of which were scrapped) in Hisoutenko and was made weak because "weak characters are funny".

Spoiler alert:

THEY'RE FUCKING NOT

Merely just one of the reasons I call Sanae a "slut". Plus it killed my love for Cirno for good. She is pretty much barely makes it off my Top 30 Touhou characters (She's number 30 now).
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2013, 03:44:22 AM »
Source? Like, a good source. An interview transcript. A blog post. Not "I heard it from somewhere".

Also? Replacing characters you wanted to be in a game does not makes her a "slut".
So it's still an unbelievable immature, nonsensical, and just plain stupid thing to call her.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:05 AM »
Sanae replaced Mokou, Kaguya, Nitori and Wriggle (All of which were scrapped) in Hisoutenko and was made weak because "weak characters are funny".

Merely just one of the reasons I call Sanae a "slut". Plus it killed my love for Cirno for good. She is pretty much barely makes it off my Top 30 Touhou characters (She's number 30 now).
I can guarantee that you are making things up and/or received this blatantly absurd information from people who were making things up.
Even if you weren't, it's totally nonsensical reasoning. Like wow.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2013, 08:07:58 AM »

1. I have heard that rumor, but I don't think it was that Sanae "replaced" them. I can't really see Sanae as not being in unl, as she played quite a large role in it.
2. I haven't looked into the unl balancing, but was Sanae really that weak?
3. I don't really understand the last part. Why would Sanae stop you from liking Cirno?

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
Ugh... I usually don't respond to this kind of idiocy to avoid feeding the trolls and fanning the flames, but what the hell are you talking about?

Sanae is not a weak character in any way in canon - as of 12.3 she's one of the girls to have possibly defeated Byakuren. She *is* low tier in Soku, but that's the problem of Tasofro balancing and she's still very much viable (if one of the harder girls to master).

As for these characters not being in 12.3, I quote the wiki:
ZUN said in a radio interview that Wriggle Nightbug and Nitori Kawashiro were originally slated to appear in the game, but were scrapped due to time restraints. Kaguya Houraisan and Fujiwara no Mokou were also considered, but it was decided that they were too strong. [1] Instead, Twilight Frontier decided to put in mostly weak characters, as they would humorously face off against the very powerful characters featured in Immaterial and Missing Power (most every mainstream character was featured there). Sanae Kochiya was added instead of these possibilities, and perhaps made as weak as she is on purpose.
They didn't get scrapped because of Sanae, but because of "time restraints" and "being too strong". These are idiotic reasons, true. The "weak characters" they meant are Cirno and China, as Suwako and Okuu are even higher on the list than Sanae, so as far as I'm concerned, that was just an excuse for Tasofro's lazyness. :wat:  So please, stop attacking Sanae for every character that could have appeared instead of her, because that's how ZUN planned it and because it's idiotic. Hell, Sanae herself did not appear in HM despite it being the one game where she should be a heroine.

I also don't get why would you hate Cirno because of Sanae. These two have exactly one interaction, the outcome of which depends on who are you playing as. Please elaborate.
And the top 30 is still pretty high, considering the number of characters at the moment is well above a hundred. Her being named a slut is a result of massive trolling and fanon idiocy, because she was conveniently an easy scapegoat by the time UFO got announced. I don't know if you want to be associated with the worst of 4chan shitposters, but real fans don't  take kindly to this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:49:50 AM by Critz »

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
Well, of course Reimu would win time and time again. It's a popularity poll. If someone asks who's the iconic character of the series, it can only be the main one (or two). Apparently, people grew to like the new HM characters really quickly. IMO, the people who organized the poll should have at least waited for the full release of DDC. I wonder if the new characters in the later stages would score some of the higher ranks. I personally don't feel too inclined to declare my love for new characters too quickly. It's just like a fad that comes and goes as soon as the fans calm down from thier euphoria of being introduced to a new character. I assume Kokoro or Koishi won't score so high next year.
Seeing Satorkoi's opinions made me chuckle, as it was more like a meme spam. And seriously, guys, what's with the "weaker character in Soku" crap? A character is only as good/as weak as the player controling her. If you suck, it's not Sanae's fault. Really.

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #178 on: July 13, 2013, 11:39:22 AM »
I think Cirno was put in just BECAUSE she is considered to be a weak youkai. And that's bullshit, though on the plus side, we did get pretty nice Cirno artwork and spritework from Tasofore.
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #179 on: July 13, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
Wasn't the "too strong" justification for Kaguya and Mokou's thing related to balancing issues instead of lore? As in, they run out of time to properly balance a moveset for them?

Granted, the game isn't that well-balanced anyway.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.