Author Topic: Doujin Circles in Rock Band 2  (Read 9887 times)

Gpop

Doujin Circles in Rock Band 2
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »
Quoted from BMS:
Quote from: eddie from BMS
MTV Networks and Harmonix announced today the planning and preparation of the "Rock Band Network", a way for new acts and unsigned talent to get their work into the Rock Band series.

The system allows any group with access to their own master tracks to create their own notecharts or have a team of Harmonix trained charters create the game tracks for the Rock Band engine, and then upload them to a special service for download in the main game.

Prices will be able to be set by the creators of the content, from 50 cents up to $3 per track, with 30% of sales going to the creators. The artists will receive these payments as royalties through a payment system that also provides them with automated accounting. The system will work similarly to Microsoft's Community Games, with tracks being approved for quality, playability, and content by the rest of the community before the tracks are available for purchase.

This seems to be part of what was hinted at before when Harmonix stated they were working on something more in-depth to combat the Guitar Hero series' GHTunes program, and it should allow for tons of new and independent acts to get their music into the public eye and give their fans a new way to enjoy their music.

The idea that the notecharters will be Harmonix trained, and Harmonix style charting guides and documentation will be available should help to keep the playability very high, and it should be very interesting to see what comes if this.

The program is currently in closed beta, with a public beta scheduled for late August in the United States. The service will provide a "sophisticated toolset" and documentation on how bands to begin the trek of authoring Rock Band game play files. Submitting songs will be done via a specialized Web site - Creators.RockBand.com - where they will be playtested and reviewed by peers.

If you don't own a 360, though, don't get in a sweat. While the tracks themselves will be made available on the Xbox 360 format first, access to standout tracks on the service for those on the Playstation Network and Nintendo Wii will follow some time thereafter. Our press release indicates, though, that these songs will have a full 30-day Xbox 360 exclusivity before they swing to other systems.

One other note of interest for those looking to download these brand new tracks from up-and-coming artists is the demo feature. Players will be able to demo samples of the songs before they make a purchase. Whether or not this just means listening to audio sample or being able to preview a short note chart example is unclear, but I would be led to believe it will just be an audio sample.

We'll be sure to keep everyone updated as more news becomes available on the Network.

Now, I assume that all (or most) doujin bands are unsigned. This means that now they have a chance to appear in the real game.

I'm willing to talk to them about this opportunity and see if they are willing to submit their music for this game. I will not chart them, as I will allow the professionals do their work instead. Considering that I'm a huge Rock Band fan, I'm really excited.

Of course, there's a few problems with this. One obvious problem for me is that I have no idea how to speak to them in japanese. Unless they understand english, I have no way of communicating with them, so I'll likely need a translator for me.

Second, I'll need their e-mail or some way to contact them. I'm pretty sure there are people here who knows at least some of them.

Third, they most likely don't even know the series. The game itself is very unknown over in japan, since they have GF&DM controlling the market there. But if I mention that they can earn money, it MIGHT help them agree to this.

Fourth, and probably something we definitely need to keep in mind, is ZUN. The fact that they're arranging his music makes me wonder if it's okay to do this without his permission. I'd rather contact him as well to better be sure about it, especially in a huge game such as RB2, but if it's not necessary, I wouldn't want to bother him as well.

This definitely won't be easy, but I'm hoping to bring some of them into the game. I can try my best to promote them, and I'm willing to download their songs for any price range.

I'll be asking other sites that may be willing to help. I'm hoping to get Demetori, CROW'S CLAW, MyonMyon, and many others into the game. Don't worry about the lack of vocals though. It is not required.

Drake

Re: Doujin Circles in Rock Band 2
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »
o-life.jp

EDIT: HOLY SHIT NEW ALBUM GET
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:33:06 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Gpop

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
I should also mention that to make the songs "fun", I would recommend that they contain a guitar, bass, and drums track.

O-life Japan is out of my books unfortunately.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:07:56 AM »
ill be a happy man if i play UI-70 or Demetori songs in RB one day.

idk how to contact them though, which is a shame. good luck with this though.

Gpop

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Well then there's another road-block in my way.

It seems that only US residents can submit the songs. I'm not saying that the band has to be, but the person submitting their music has to be.

That's not too much of a problem though since I'm pretty sure someone here from the US has RB2. That's enough. I think I can talk to Gambit about this though.

Lucarius

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:09:42 AM »
Make a list of the bands. I can find contacts.

It's more convincing if you guys mailed them in English to be honest.

Gpop

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:31:30 PM »
Make a list of the bands. I can find contacts.

It's more convincing if you guys mailed them in English to be honest.

But why would we do that if they won't understand the message at all?

Anyways, a small list for now, as these are the people I'm going to place on top priority with the album I'd like to start with them:

UI-70 (Vaguely Dreams of Scarlet Fullmoon)
Demetori (Offering to the Sukhavati)
MyonMyon (x Pizuya's Cell -Chaoscillation Game-)
South of Heaven
IOSYS (Flower of the Sun mostly)
Cool&Create (don't think this will be much of a problem really)
CROW'S CLAW (Brutal Games for Reminding of Death)
IRON ATTACK (SPARKING! album)

If most of them can agree to this, we could try to bring in the other bands as well.

Easy Mode

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
Flower of the Sun would be fun. Wouldn't Reason to Fly be pretty cool, too?
And Border of Death. They have quite a few songs that work, y'know.

Gpop

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
Flower of the Sun would be fun. Wouldn't Reason to Fly be pretty cool, too?
And Border of Death. They have quite a few songs that work, y'know.

I know, but out of all of them I just want FotS. Goddamn it it's a fucking awesome song. You can clearly hear all of the required instruments in the song as well.

Easy Mode

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
I actually thought all the rage was about Border of Death 'cause it's OOHSOHARDCORE.
But I'd actually prefer Flower of the Sun. Now that I think about it, I don't think Reason to Fly would sit well with people not too familiar with IOSYS. Oh, and it has awful engrish.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
If we're going to ask Crow's Claw, Frozen Frog is a much better album in my opinion.

Gpop

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »
If we're going to ask Crow's Claw, Frozen Frog is a much better album in my opinion.

I was thinking about that album, but IMO I didn't like it as much. But in terms of playability I think it would be really fun.

Drake

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »
Seconding FotS.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Gpop

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
So I guess I know where to start then.

I'll have to see if Lucarius can contact IOSYS.

Lucarius

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »

Jimerax can =) At least he knows them and has actual connections to them. Dunno where he went though.

Why do I feel like I'm being ab-used the minute I come to shrinemaiden?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:26:15 PM by Lucarius »

Gpop

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »

Jimerax can =) At least he knows them and has actual connections to them. Dunno where he went though.

Why do I feel like I'm being ab-used the minute I come to shrinemaiden?

Jimerax huh? I'll go ask him if I ever find him. I dunno if he still posts in FFR. Maybe he can give me at least a way to contact them.

Lucarius

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
info@iosysos.com

At least CONTACT is in English on their homepage. =_=

They WILL reply within 10 days.

They do have a template, but I don't think this applies here. (Still never read the first post.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:51:27 PM by Lucarius »

Gpop

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 04:24:24 PM »
Meh, jimerax hasn't replied yet, but it seems he hasn't been on yet.

First we need to ask them if they're interested. If so, we need them to seperate the lead guitar, drums, bass, and vocals from the song into "stems". But we'll have to think about this AFTER we know if they agreed or not.

Lucarius

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
FFRans tell me he hasn't been on forever. Has he?

You're probably better off convincing me than waiting on him. Or perhaps convincing yourselves that English is not such a bad option after all. =)

Gpop

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
FFRans tell me he hasn't been on forever. Has he?

You're probably better off convincing me than waiting on him. Or perhaps convincing yourselves that English is not such a bad option after all. =)

Like I said before, they most likely won't even understand english (unless someone like beatMARIO understands).

But I could try anyways. I might send an email and see what the response is, although I'd rather someone who's fluent in japanese can do it.

Lucarius

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
The yutori generation is over... we can speak English and do high-tech stuff now. I think.

Fine, let me handle this. However, most Japanese "fan type" mails are regarded as junk. There have been increasing incidents of false advertisement, so it'd be all-the-more harder.

Gpop

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 01:37:03 AM »
The yutori generation is over... we can speak English and do high-tech stuff now. I think.

Fine, let me handle this. However, most Japanese "fan type" mails are regarded as junk. There have been increasing incidents of false advertisement, so it'd be all-the-more harder.

So you think english e-mail will catch more of their attention?

Lucarius

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
I won't back anything I have nothing to back with, so I won't say yes to that.

I just don't like emailing people I don't know~

But I will try in the near future.

Gpop

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
I won't back anything I have nothing to back with, so I won't say yes to that.

I just don't like emailing people I don't know~

But I will try in the near future.

I'll give you (and others) a tl;dr version.

Rock Band 2 is a very popular music game (popular enough to get the real music and bands into the game) in NA. They're allowing any band not signed with some OMGHUGE record company to be in the game.

That's pretty much what you have to tell them. If they agree, we can tell them what we require from them.

But...I could try to email them in english and see how they respond. I highly doubt they will in the end though.

NinjaFoxX

• There is so much wrong with everything you've done in your short time here
  • I can't even fit it all in title and text. Bye!
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 10:13:40 AM »
you should try, i would love to see some IOSYS in RB2...

speaking of, NA doujin circles? do they exits?

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
you should try, i would love to see some IOSYS in RB2...

speaking of, NA doujin circles? do they exits?
NA doesn't have clearly defined "doujin circles" because we don't have a doujin market. To be honest, OCRemix is pretty much a doujin circle.

Gpop

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
Welp. No response ever since. I knew they wouldn't in english. Thanks a lot Lucarius.

I was really hoping to get some doujin circles into the game, but it seems that I can't with the major language barrier now. Anyone wanna help the communication part?

I was hoping to contact UI-70 next with this song in mind.