Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430707 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #420 on: June 18, 2013, 08:28:17 AM »
Where'd he say that?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #421 on: June 18, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
Quote from: ZUN
I blurred the finer details of Sakuya and Remilia's settings because I had planned to publicize
those somewhere eventually, but that occasion never arose (laugh)

What I will say is, Sakuya isn't from Gensokyo.
Sakuya Izayoi is a name given to her by Remilia, and her real name is different.

Anything else, I plan to reveal later, so for now, I'll keep my secrets.  (laugh)
From translations of ZUN's e-mail responses to fan questions here on the Touhou Wiki.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #422 on: June 18, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »
I think the topic would be better discussed on a manga or book instead of a main game, as it'd otherwise put the bulk of the story in her route alone (unless he expands on Reimu and Marisa's past as well, I suppose).

At any rate, the story doesn't really seems to be going that way.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #423 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
I think the topic would be better discussed on a manga or book instead of a main game, as it'd otherwise put the bulk of the story in her route alone (unless he expands on Reimu and Marisa's past as well, I suppose).

At any rate, the story doesn't really seems to be going that way.
Its not like it has to be the focus of the game, though.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #424 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:10 PM »
Its not like it has to be the focus of the game, though.
The games don't really have room for sub-plots.

They barely have room for the main plot.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Drake

« Reply #425 on: June 20, 2013, 01:16:39 AM »
Everything since PCB has been mostly subplot. Not sure where you're getting that idea from.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #426 on: June 20, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »
Everything since PCB has been mostly subplot. Not sure where you're getting that idea from.

What do you mean?

« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:04 AM »
What makes PCB any more relevant?

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2013, 03:39:15 AM »
Not sure if I'm wording this right, but I think he means that the major characters from PCB onward have had deeper backstories, more references involved, and even dedicated arcs in games and supplementary materials.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2013, 01:20:45 AM »
Have you tried setting the game settings to Fast instead of automatic? that worked for me. try it out if you haven't.
It's the bottom most option, the one labelled 高速 if you are in doubt.

I'll try this out & see how it goes, I just hate not being able to play through the game without assistance or hindrance from the halved FPS...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2013, 01:41:32 AM »
For those with not-so-severe lag, I use a program called Razer Game Booster which temporarily shuts down programs to boost performance. DDC ran at around late 40s-early 50s and now runs at a flawless 60 FPS.

Link: http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

Lawence Codye

• The Nine Tails of Subconscious...
  • Come & your desires shall all become reality...
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:06 AM »
Have you tried setting the game settings to Fast instead of automatic? that worked for me. try it out if you haven't.
It's the bottom most option, the one labelled 高速 if you are in doubt.
This worked wonders up until stage 3 & for half of it's boss fight which is good enough, thanks...

Also, I noticed the music in this Touhou game is a bit more similar to what I would expect to hear in other SHMUPS, mainly stage 2 & it's boss' theme.  I am also really REALLY hating about 3 to 4 of the shot types among the 6 of them I mean the only one I like a whole lot is Sakuya's first shot type.  It's like pretty much all of them either have no range or lacking in power more so then they should.  Reimu's second shot type is noticeably weaker then I remember it being, I don't know.  I liked the 1st stage & boss of the stage very much game play wise & same with the 3rd stage & it's boss but I didn't like either the second stage or it's boss too much game play wise.  This is from my experience in Normal & Hard difficulty though, I don't even give easy a go what so ever anymore since SA & Lunatic is better watched then ventured for me so can't wait until this demo is updated...
I am the Nine Tails of Subconscious...

Come & your greatest desires will be reality...

« Reply #432 on: July 01, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
That's ridiculous. I installed windows and got flawless 60 FPS. Even though right now I use a crappy GPU (I lent mine for some time). So I guess, it's wine who has problems with this game, not my computer like I thought before.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
If the incidents on TH14 has been solved, what are you expecting on TH15?

i am hoping TH15 will be the last Touhou windows era game, then TH16 will be windows 9 era, Future Reimu became a God in casual clothes while Marisa died and revived as an Angel.
Windows 9 era will hint about the return of PC-98 characters like Mima while Windows era characters will stay and do nothing.

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »
Here's my ideas on DDC's plot and meaning: (probably not too original)

There has been a lot of talk about the whole "reflection" theme with DDC so far.
The name suggests treachery, but the "double dealing" can also be linked with mirrors, like how one may appear to be working one way (the reflection you see), but actually be secretly working another way (their actual appearance; the flipped image of their reflection). And people's reflections have long been linked with their souls. Maybe something is sort of capturing and corrupting the youkai's souls through their reflection.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #435 on: July 01, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
I say it before and I'll say it once again:

Ungaikyo (Mirror Tsukumogami) or Doppelganger (To go with the current Western Monsters stuff) is gonna be the Final Boss, that or the Ex.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #436 on: July 01, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

i am hoping TH15 will be the last Touhou windows era game, then TH16 will be windows 9 era,

Wat?

Zakari

• Autistic Loli
« Reply #437 on: July 01, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
Wat?

Because Touhou needs a fresh new start after TH15, i hope Reimu and Marisa will change their appearance.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #438 on: July 01, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
Maybe you should wait on the theory making until after TH14 itself actually comes out? :D
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #439 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
Because Touhou needs a fresh new start after TH15, i hope Reimu and Marisa will change their appearance.
You do realize what he was highlighting in your post, correct?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #440 on: July 01, 2013, 09:25:36 PM »

i am hoping TH15 will be the last Touhou windows era game, then TH16 will be windows 9 era, Future Reimu became a God in casual clothes while Marisa died and revived as an Angel.
Windows 9 era will hint about the return of PC-98 characters like Mima while Windows era characters will stay and do nothing.
Marisa? Angel? Windows 9? WAT?

Zakari

• Autistic Loli
« Reply #442 on: July 02, 2013, 03:58:37 AM »
technically that already happened

Seihou takes place in 50+ years from the future, just maybe.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #443 on: July 03, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
technically that already happened

Don't remind me of that game. I can't play it because Windows 7 and 8 requires DDA which is what's making the game run slow and the OS forbids disabling it.

« Reply #444 on: July 03, 2013, 06:14:10 AM »
This game is kind of hard.
I like to think of it this way:
PCB
IN
TD
MoF
DDC
EoSD
UFO
SA
Double Dealing Character is pretty high up on the list. I think it's to make up for the lack of gimmicks.
I've also read something about a gimmick in this topic?
Currently a normal player

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #445 on: July 03, 2013, 06:21:24 AM »
I thought DDC was kinda easy.(until stage 3)

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #446 on: July 03, 2013, 07:38:36 AM »
Double Dealing Character is pretty high up on the list. I think it's to make up for the lack of gimmicks.
I've also read something about a gimmick in this topic?

There is a gimmick. It involves the PoC.

Depending on how many items you gather at the PoC, you can you either get a Bomb piece or a Life piece.

I thought DDC was kinda easy.(until stage 3)

After stage 3 and Kagerou's difficulty, I'm... worried about what is coming next, to be honest.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:40:39 AM by ★Drizzly Magician★ »

Tengukami

« Reply #447 on: July 03, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
Yeah, for real. A game doesn't shovel resources at you for the first 3 stages only to get easier from 4 onwards. Or I doubt DDC will anyway.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #448 on: July 03, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »
Yeah, for real. A game doesn't shovel resources at you for the first 3 stages only to get easier from 4 onwards. Or I doubt DDC will anyway.
Well it didn't get easier per se, but TD's difficulty (on Lunatic at least) peaked at Stage 3 and overall didn't get any harder past that. ZUN's done something like that before, but honestly we'll need to wait for DDC's full version before we can judge how prone to bombing it is.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Tengukami

« Reply #449 on: July 03, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
On the other hand, TD's first three stages don't shower you with resources the way DDC does. That's why I'm bracing for impact here.

As you say, we won't know before the full game, but the totally groundless feeling I'm getting thus far from DDC is "here, have a crapload of lives and bombs - you'll need them!" Just my intuition, nothing more.