Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430935 times)

Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »
So just ran through this Demo real quick on Normal. Used Reimu A. Really really like it. First it's beautiful. Really great to look at. I also like the return to simpler mechanics, tho I had hoped that also meant the return of bomb and 1up cards. Oh well, I don't mind that much. The bosses are dope. The second boss fucked me up the most, lot of bullets with long tails, kept crashing into them during my dodges. 3rd boss is fucking awesome. I love how she howls and transforms into a giant wolf head. So awesome.

The music is great to, I can't wait to hear some mixes for it.

I am even more excited for the full game then I was before.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »
The one for IN has super small text, I'll stick to the regular ones. But that's not the case for DDC.

Which reminds me:

Is anyone else working on an English translation patch for DDC? I haven't seen anything on Gensokyo.org.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
Just making some observations and speculations...

> The bosses' music theme names all have the western monster names in Katakana at the end: Mermaid, Dullahan, Werewolf. Unless ZUN is just teasing us, I predict we will continue to see youkai with western equivalents as later bosses.
> Kishinjou. The Kanji for Kishin aren't the ones for "oni god," but the homophone is definitely intended. Maybe, for stage 4~6, the protagonists will infiltrate an youkai/oni stronghold?
> Those creepy shadows behind characters in  character selection...

Drake

« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »
鬼神 is the basis of 神 in 怪力乱神 just to note
not that i think it's relevant in any way

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »
Which reminds me:

Is anyone else working on an English translation patch for DDC? I haven't seen anything on Gensokyo.org.
I'm pretty sure the normal group is going to do it, but they're waiting for the final version. No need to waste effort on a demo.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2013, 05:02:40 AM »
I just had a theory for the reason why Overdrives have a high default point value. Ok, so in extra modes of Touhou games the point values are always higher than they normally would be (a-lot higher), Overdrive mode in DDC has a base point of 100,000 per point item (assuming you're above the POC), Extra mode does not have a higher base point than the main game modes. Therefor ZUN might add Ultra mode himself rather than letting hackers do it.(since alot of stuff becomes impossible anyway).

Touhou even if it's not actually "Ultra" it may very well be something to sit in between Lunatic and Overdrive.(which could be renamed to extra given the current evidence)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2013, 05:03:57 AM »
It's probably just for overdrives in spell practice like TD
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:30 AM »
I have trouble with SakuyaA. Game crashes after I defeat tse second boss. Other characters (including SakuyaB) are fine.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Since I have skipped alot of the thread now, I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but this seems quite hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EGRwLQer8
Marisa is broken once again.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:47:00 PM by Darkness1 »

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2013, 05:03:15 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how to play the replay properly (or could record a movie from it it if it works properly  :derp:), since it desyncs for me on the mermaid, and I've somehow managed to clear Lunatic on 1cc, but didn't record it live...
http://tinyurl.com/mx9uogr

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
It's probably just for overdrives in spell practice like TD

But why would it need such a high point value if it's for spell practice? You don't get even get point items from spell practice.

« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how to play the replay properly (or could record a movie from it it if it works properly  :derp:), since it desyncs for me on the mermaid, and I've somehow managed to clear Lunatic on 1cc, but didn't record it live...
http://tinyurl.com/mx9uogr
I have desync issue with your replay too.
It's still alpha so you're just out of luck. I dount that there is anything to fix it.
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
But why would it need such a high point value if it's for spell practice? You don't get even get point items from spell practice.
If you look at Ten Desires, it's -exactly- what he does in that game. There's no reason to think it's any different this time.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
If you look at Ten Desires, it's -exactly- what he does in that game. There's no reason to think it's any different this time.

Oh TD had a large point bonus for ODs I didn't know that. There goes my hopes.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2013, 10:43:49 PM »
I just managed to, God Almighty knows how, get another 1cc clear on lunatic (again thanks to SakuyA's lolbomb and ridiculous resource drops on s3), and this time no desync. Might be related to me not scrolling through the text and reading it this time around  :derp:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:45:22 PM by Critz »

« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:10 AM »
Good for Sakuya, but next in line to go from Stage 5 Boss to playable is Rin, so I'm kind of anxious so see if the trend continues.

« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »
Good for Sakuya, but next in line to go from Stage 5 Boss to playable is Rin, so I'm kind of anxious so see if the trend continues.
That's an interesting speculation, didn't hear it before. But in that case Reisen was skipped (I can't consider PoFV) so it's more just a coincidence than an intention to make them playable.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:47:14 AM by Vectorfish »
Would be glad to get help with Touhou Doumeiju ~ Mystical Power Plant Translation Project spellcard comments' translation.

« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
Anyine else thinking that the title Double Dealing Character Have something to do that the characters so far has both Eastern and Western (AKA double) charactersitics?
-Wakasagihime is a ningyo, also identified as a mermaid.
-Sekibanki is a rokurokubi that's also identified as a dullahan
-Kagerou is a werewolf, but of a Japanese wolf type

I think the trend ends after the Moriya Shrine arc begin to be honest. I certainly won't expect playable Orin or Shou anytime soon. Just look at the pattern:
Sakuya - servant of Remilia the final boss, most likely to go out of Scarlet Devil Mansion
Youmu - servant of Yuyuko the final boss, most likely to go out of Hakugyokurou
Reisen - servant of Eirin and Kaguya the final bosses, most likely to go out of Eientei (there's Tewi but Tewi probably prefers doing her own thing rather than solving incidents)
Then look at the second arc:
Sanae - servant of Kanako the final boss, most likely to go out of Moriya Shrine, becomes playable after one skipped game
Orin - servant of...Satori the 4th stage boss? Likely to go out of Former Hell, but to gather corpses. She doesn't seem the type to solve incidents.
Shou - servant of Byakuren the final boss. Doesn't look like to go out much
Futo - servant of Miko the final boss. But I think Miko is the type to go out herself rather than sending servants.

That's an interesting speculation, didn't hear it before. But in that case Reisen was skipped (I can't consider PoFV) so it's more just a coincidence than an intention to make them playable.

Reisen still got included in the trend, though somewhat. She's one of the five initial characters of PoFV, with the other four being previous playable characters.

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #348 on: June 06, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
I don't know why, but I love the howling sound effect Kagerou uses.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
Well it always amazes me people try quite hard to detect patterns in ZUN's ideas.

So far, there are no patterns for playable characters. It was proven faulty in the past and will be continue to be proven faulty in the future. ZUN doesn't make patterns, he makes stories. There is no such as girl X appears in Y because she was Z. (Hello Kogasa Ex).

Again: ZUN makes girls fit in the story, not patterns fit in the girls. Take a look at IN and SA teaming up motivations (ry.

The full release of Touhou (I guess Summer Ket?) will blow our minds as usual.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #350 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
Well it always amazes me people try quite hard to detect patterns in ZUN's ideas.

So far, there are no patterns for playable characters. It was proven faulty in the past and will be continue to be proven faulty in the future. ZUN doesn't make patterns, he makes stories. There is no such as girl X appears in Y because she was Z. (Hello Kogasa Ex).

Again: ZUN makes girls fit in the story, not patterns fit in the girls. Take a look at IN and SA teaming up motivations (ry.

The full release of Touhou (I guess Summer Ket?) will blow our minds as usual.
I agree with this. I don't like to speculate about what ZUN is thinking because speculations should be about touhou (although it is sometimes unavoidable). The other day, I thought it was weird that Ichirin was a representative for the Buddhists in HM, instead of Shou but in retrospect this makes a lot of sense because, while Shou is Byakuren's disciple, Byakuren actually worships Shou. You wouldn't send the object of your worship out as your errand boy. Ichirin seems like a much better person for something like that.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #351 on: June 06, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
Well speculations are fine if they are based on sources like let us say previous game dialogues, endings (obvious spoiler). That way you can fiddle around and perhaps have some what suspicion of what is to come. But trying to find them or fuel them using "patterns" is just odd. Nobody expected Youmu to be playable in 10D. Nobody expected Sanae to be playable in UFO and nobody expected Sakuya to be playable in DDC.

It is not like ZUN is going to add another playable character suddenly in the full version.

And Shou + Byakuren is indeed a complex relationship so Akyuu claims. Except that is all left to our imagination, like Dark Tewi always claims.

« Reply #352 on: June 06, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
Well speculations are fine if they are based on sources like let us say previous game dialogues, endings (obvious spoiler). That way you can fiddle around and perhaps have some what suspicion of what is to come. But trying to find them or fuel them using "patterns" is just odd. Nobody expected Youmu to be playable in 10D. Nobody expected Sanae to be playable in UFO and nobody expected Sakuya to be playable in DDC.

It is not like ZUN is going to add another playable character suddenly in the full version.

And Shou + Byakuren is indeed a complex relationship so Akyuu claims. Except that is all left to our imagination, like Dark Tewi always claims.

Dark Tewi? First time I've heard about that.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #353 on: June 06, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »
@Heleopolis: Right, that's speculation based on stuff in touhou, not speculation based on stuff about ZUN.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #354 on: June 06, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
Dark Tewi? First time I've heard about that.
It has nothing to do with DDC. Dark Tewi, how people call her because of her dark outfit and tan, features in a doujin called "Why did she leave the miniature garden, the oni is out" by Maruchira

The artist tells us through Tewi that ZUN's plot-holes and unexplained things gives us freedom to "shape" Gensoukyo as we like. Hence why Touhou's fanbase is large in the first place. Said page is here (the doujin is pretty decent read).

Again, has nothing to do with DDC.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #355 on: June 06, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »
Anyine else thinking that the title Double Dealing Character Have something to do that the characters so far has both Eastern and Western (AKA double) charactersitics?
-Wakasagihime is a ningyo, also identified as a mermaid.
-Sekibanki is a rokurokubi that's also identified as a dullahan
-Kagerou is a werewolf, but of a Japanese wolf type
I think you are onto something here. It seems believable because ZUN always mentions a lot about western and eastern stuff (especially eastern) and how he got his ideas.

« Reply #356 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
I think you are onto something here. It seems believable because ZUN always mentions a lot about western and eastern stuff (especially eastern) and how he got his ideas.
I wonder what that would make Cirno's appearance in DDC?
On Orin, I totally get that oftentimes patterns are much moreso links the fans try to draw between points rather than frameworks Zun uses to place his points. After all, if a new character shows up, it will probably be contrary to old speculation and only create newer ideas. It was more of a 5A of a theory--I just like speculating.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #357 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
I wonder what that would make Cirno's appearance in DDC?
Stage 1 takes place over Misty Lake, Cirno's usual hangout. Pretty simple connection right there.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #358 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:49 PM »
She'll also be returning as Extra boss.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #359 on: June 07, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »
Finally set aside a few hours to take a look at the demo, following having read almost nothing about it.

-The weapon shot types seem like a lot more fun than the weaponless shot types. Assuming these will effect the story in some way, possibly alternate last boss?

-Marisa's conversation portraits are surprisingly sinister.

-Dullahan boss means maybe I'm one step closer to getting a mummy Touhou.

-Music didn't particularly impress me, but sometimes it takes awhile for me to warm up to Touhou music.

-Happy to see the aesthetic elements I liked back from Ten Desires, but for the most part not the ones I didn't.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.