Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430936 times)

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2013, 03:51:28 AM »
I didn't read the whole thread, but was it mentioned yet that the difficulty tiers in DDC are named after gems? emerald (easy) -> aquamarine (normal) -> ruby (hard) -> the hope diamond (lunatic).

This could be a hint about the story/future bosses.
This acutally reminds me of a Touhou OC I made (in my head). She's a magician who has ability to use different assortment of magic using different types of gemstones. Though I think boss like that would appear as the Extra Boss, as such ability doesn't fit this story as far as we know.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2013, 04:09:08 AM »
On another note, since we are talking about possessed objects and what not, should one expect Medicine Melancholy to appear in this game? I would surmise her to be a possible midboss, either of Stage 4 or Extra.
Did someone mention a minor interesting character getting some characterization. Sounds fucking awesome. However, I don't see it being a thing. Throwing in a previous character this late in the game seems a bit weird. Still, I'm all for it.

About the gems being mentioned. The only relevance I notice is that the title has those lense flairs all over them, like it's made of precious stones. I don't doubt that it will be relevant though.

Captain Vulcan

• I'm tellin'!
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2013, 04:20:20 AM »
Gems?

Hmm. Touhou Super Heroines, maybe? Makes me think of Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet series.
My mind is not a nice place to be.

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2013, 08:12:16 AM »
It was mentioned a few times now that shooting bosses milks them for Power-Items but I don't think anyone mentioned that this is one drawback to using the cursed shot types as their focused shots are the only ones that don't make the enemies bleed out power.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
It was mentioned a few times now that shooting bosses milks them for Power-Items but I don't think anyone mentioned that this is one drawback to using the cursed shot types as their focused shots are the only ones that don't make the enemies bleed out power.
I thought it was related to being focussed or unfocussed in general. Nice catch. I don't really see why they have that drawback other than story relevance, though. The cursed shot types aren't that much stronger. In case of Marisa the clean shot type is even better.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
Has anyone encountered a bug where your character automatically moves to the left side of the screen and stays there?  If that happens, then exiting the game and going to the difficulty selection screen will result in the "cursor" (can't think a better way to describe this...) going to easy mode.

Things return to normal if I exit the game entirely, however.

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »
Has anyone encountered a bug where your character automatically moves to the left side of the screen and stays there?  If that happens, then exiting the game and going to the difficulty selection screen will result in the "cursor" (can't think a better way to describe this...) going to easy mode.

Things return to normal if I exit the game entirely, however.
I don't think that's a glitch belonging exclusively to DDC as I have experienced this very same glitch in a few of the other games as well. I don't have the slightest idea what causes it though.
I finally got ahead!

wailofthebanshee

• Go away for a bit.
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »
The demo just crashes on me as soon as I open it, dunno what I should do.  :wat:
For me it crashes 70% of the time at the end of the first loading screen. The rest of the time it goes through and works just fine...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »
I think the input lag that myself and others are experiencing with DDC is not due to the game, but rather to whatever graphics card driver you're using. On my machine, which uses the Nvidia 308 (I think?) driver, I get a slowdown rate of about 9% (or about 53FPS - hardly a noticeable difference at all, but a difference nonetheless). On my room-mate's Windows 7 machine, however, DDC runs at a flawless 60FPS.

So I reckon this means I'll be engaging in the always-fun task of installing different Nvidia drivers to see which one fixes the game for me. If I have to install a whole other OS I'll do it. This is the first time I've been interested in doing score runs, and I'm ready to go back to Linux Mint if that's what it takes.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
I don't think that's a glitch belonging exclusively to DDC as I have experienced this very same glitch in a few of the other games as well. I don't have the slightest idea what causes it though.
Same here... Except for me the direction is not always the left corner.
From my experiences - this seems to happen when I have played the game long (e.g. 2 hours)...
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Tengukami

« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
That sliding-to-one-side-of-the-screen thing is not exclusive to DDC and is rather an input error on the user side. I've seen it posted before regarding earlier games.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
okay, this has bothering me for a while. For some reason, random rows and columns or pixels are missing when I play on 640*480. It's always the same rows/columns that don't show up (for example, the 8 in the bomb counter always looks quite similar to a 3, which has been annoying me all the time), as shown here:

does anybody else experience the same problem/know how to fix it? I believe it's there on higher resolutions as well, but not sure on that.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
I think the input lag that myself and others are experiencing with DDC is not due to the game, but rather to whatever graphics card driver you're using. On my machine, which uses the Nvidia 308 (I think?) driver, I get a slowdown rate of about 9% (or about 53FPS - hardly a noticeable difference at all, but a difference nonetheless). On my room-mate's Windows 7 machine, however, DDC runs at a flawless 60FPS.

So I reckon this means I'll be engaging in the always-fun task of installing different Nvidia drivers to see which one fixes the game for me. If I have to install a whole other OS I'll do it. This is the first time I've been interested in doing score runs, and I'm ready to go back to Linux Mint if that's what it takes.
I'm using nVidia driver 311.06 and I have the flawless 60 FPS. Try that driver if you can find it.

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
The version 314.22 works for me, too.
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

Tengukami

« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
I'm using nVidia driver 311.06 and I have the flawless 60 FPS. Try that driver if you can find it.
The version 314.22 works for me, too.
Thanks, guys. Finding the drivers isn't a problem - I can get them from the Nvidia site itself - it's the whole process of going into console, installing a new driver, and praying to the Hakurei God that I didn't utterly bork my graphics in the process.

Switching graphics drivers in Mint/Ubuntu is relatively painless. In Crunchbang - which is pretty much Debian - the process is a bit more involved.

Knowing which drivers actually work is a huge help for me, though, so I appreciate the input.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2013, 04:42:01 PM »
I know how Marisa feels. The voices often tell me to burn things, too.

I CAN FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME.

IT IS A GOOD PAIN.

Tengukami

« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Well, turns out neither of those drivers are available for Linux. I forgot about that one little snag - Nvidia has a separate dev branch for different OS's.

SO! Any Linux users out there, who are able to run DDC at 60FPS, tell me: what driver are you using?

Also going to pose this question over in HME.

IT IS A GOOD PAIN.
Had to Google the reference, feeling old now. :colonveeplusalpha:

draganuv15

« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
Guys, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Sakuya's A bomb is actually triggered.

First you activate it, then during a certain amount of time if you get hit by a bullet the shield detonates kinda like a Cherry Border and wipes off all bullets on screen.

Tengukami

« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »
That was mentioned, and it's one of the reasons why I lovelovelove Sakuya A.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
Here are my specs

I can run the game at fixed 60fps on any resolution, even when the input latency is set to "auto"

However... when I record with Fraps, the game drops to around 56~57fps, and keeps at it (including on 640x480). The only way to solve this is changing the input latency to "fast" through config-exe. This makes me able to record at fixed 60fps regardless of the resolution, however, it occasionally gives me a few lag-spikes as side effect.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Tengukami

« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Remind me again: is the input latency the top or the bottom option in custom.exe?

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
Remind me again: is the input latency the top or the bottom option in custom.exe?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2013, 06:23:28 PM »

IT IS A GOOD PAIN.
Oh god, I want her to try and talk to the final boss with this being the only thing she can say. Final boss: "Ok, this conversation isn't going to go anywhere, lets just fight".

Tengukami

« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2013, 06:44:19 PM »

I thank ye.

SOLUTION ACHIEVED!

I'm able to get the game to run at 60FPS. Here is the magical, three-pronged solution:

1. 1/2 framerate.
2. High input latency.
3. Run game in 640x480, windowed mode period. Full screen or windowed, it's a 0% slowdown.

NB: If you're running Linux, the nvidia 304.88 driver works just fine.

I think the input lag may actually be due to using 960x720. Can anyone else confirm this?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:38:29 PM by Tengukami »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »

Uh, actually neither Reimu or Sakuya's clean focused shots bleed power. Only Marisa's does iirc.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
Uh, actually neither Reimu or Sakuya's clean focused shots bleed power. Only Marisa's does iirc.

I just tried it, and yeah, MarisaB is the only one to get power while focused.
If there's any comparisons I can make to these characters, it seems like
ReimuA = MoF MarisaC/IN Remilia in terms of covering attack area
ReimuB = Ten Desires Reimu (although not as potent as other post-MoF Needle Reimus)
MarisaA = The bomb type. You don't use it for the shot, you use the bombs and you use them liberally.
MarisaB = The new post-MoF Needle Reimu in terms of shot damage
SakuyaA = ... PCB SakuyaA, except actually capable of damage
SakuyaB = PCB ReimuB, though her focused shot is very narrow.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:59 PM »
Another gimmick of Sakuya B worth noting is the "spearhead" of shots she gains at Power 2.00 and 4.00, which give her a somewhat noticeable damage increase if they're hitting. So she does more damage in "melee" range. It's generally too dangerous to use against bosses, but it rips big fairies apart pretty quickly so you can keep hitting the POC.

pineyappled

« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2013, 03:14:01 AM »
How does the POC bonus work?

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »

20-59 point/power items = bomb slice
60+ = life slice
Every 5th slice is a life slice, I think. Dunno if it counts life slices as well or just bomb slices for this.

Also, the more points you get, the higher the multiplier bonus is.
60+ =2x
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:24:07 AM by Kingault »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2013, 03:18:49 AM »

Collect enough point and power items you gain bonus which is multiplied depending on how much you collected. Similar to the blue UFOs in Touhou 12.