Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430683 times)

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #870 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:48 AM »
ZUN should pull a capcom and come out with the first male boss in Touhou.
I remember in an interview he said he originally thought of Myouren to be UFO's final boss, but having an old man as the final boss would be too weird

(But I mean, he turned the Prince into a woman, so...)
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #871 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »
The note bullets are already contained in the web trial version as "bullet5.png".

4 colors for eighth notes, 8 colors for quarter rests.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:03:19 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #872 on: August 06, 2013, 05:24:50 AM »
Has any of the previous games featured those quarter note bullets? I can atleast tell that those octave bullets look different to what we ahve seen before.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #873 on: August 06, 2013, 05:49:54 AM »
Has any of the previous games featured those quarter note bullets? I can atleast tell that those octave bullets look different to what we ahve seen before.
The Prismrivers had quarter note bullets in both PCB and PoFV, but I believe they were different sprites and were just solid red notes.

Drake

« Reply #874 on: August 06, 2013, 05:50:07 AM »
They've changed. These note bullets have a much more obvious hitbox, and are going to work in a manner similar to 10D's arrow bullets. I'm a bit scared of the rest bullets though, they don't seem to have a very well-defined hitbox indication.

At the very least, I for one am thankful that they aren't add-blended in-game.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:54:33 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #875 on: August 06, 2013, 06:35:56 AM »
They've changed. These note bullets have a much more obvious hitbox, and are going to work in a manner similar to 10D's arrow bullets. I'm a bit scared of the rest bullets though, they don't seem to have a very well-defined hitbox indication.

Let us not speak of Ten Desire arrow bullets... I'M LOOKING AT YOU MOEHERMIT!  :matsuriscowl:
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #876 on: August 06, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
From sprite sheet they look like animating music notes. So prepare to dodge wobbly wobbly music notes.

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #877 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:59 AM »
UFO MarisaB is capable of being used well, what are you talking about.
 ;) ;) ;) ;)
I fail to see how Marisa B contributed to anything here that Sanae B couldn't do. Still, holy fuck ! Gratz, I suppose.

Anyone else can feel some incoming reveal about Sakuya in their bones? I mean, it's been a long time and it's a perfect opportunity while she's still here.

« Reply #878 on: August 06, 2013, 10:58:07 AM »

Let's just hope they won't bounce around and just go straight down.

Haganeproductio

• Illusion Conductor
  • Choo choo
    • Hagane productio flavors
« Reply #879 on: August 06, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
The Prismriver sisters' notes were already annoying and now more notes? Oh god, this doesn't mean good.

« Reply #880 on: August 06, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
I fail to see how Marisa B contributed to anything here that Sanae B couldn't do. Still, holy fuck ! Gratz, I suppose.

Haha, why are you saying gratz? It's not my run lol. Unless you mean gratz on proving my point so splendidly.   :)

With regards to the rest of your post; the point wasn't to show that MarisaB necessarily can do something that SanaeB can't do (unless you want to count shooting backwards) but merely to showcase that if you are skilled enough you can get very beautiful results out of MarisaB. The guy implied that MarisaB was incapable of being used well and I wanted to show him that it simply isn't true.

It feels silly for me to defend Marisa given that I've always been terrible at using her but MarisaB really isn't half as bad as people make her sound like. She's weaker, harder to use, has a weaker bomb and doesn't really give you any benefits over the other characters and given that UFO is widely considered a quite difficult game even to clear normally without any restrictions or scoring efforts, it's natural that she'd be considered pretty much useless. However, a skilled enough player like the japanese superplayer monster powerhouse called Shin you aren't really bothered by her drawbacks. Think of her as some sort of hardcore mode in a different kind of videogame that removes healthbars, makes enemies harder to kill among other things i suppose.  :V

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #881 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
The guy implied that MarisaB was incapable of being used well and I wanted to show him that it simply isn't true.

Yea, I should have worded that differently (especially when I knew about that score already...). Still, it's like you said. Weaker, difficult to use, weak bomb and the "spread" part is largely negligible to kill anything faster than any other shot while the reverse shot has very niche uses. As much as I would have loved to show off and get a Lunatic 1cc with her rather than SanaeA (Which people don't regard that highly, do they?), just... no. I couldn't.

« Reply #882 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »
I can't say for sure what the general consensus is but if i were to divide characters up into ease-of useness i would say that top tier characters are SanaeB and ReimuA while SanaeA, MarisaA and ReimuB are mid-tier and MarisaB is the only one that's really hard to use.

So if you were using SanaeA for the purpose of not clearing the game with an "overpowered" character then I'd say she served the purpose.

EDIT: Now, back to the topic on hand. Sorry for the derailing everybody.  :)

Zil

« Reply #883 on: August 06, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
I always liked her more than MarisaA because you can't move during MarisaA's bomb. And her shots are blinding.

These note bullets have a much more obvious hitbox,
I don't know if I'd say that. PoFV notes were just disks with the image of a note on them (plain circles, in other words), and PCB's were never actually used as a weapon. These new ones look annoying because the glowing ring around them (which presumably represents the actual shape of the bullet) seems like it would be hard to see when they're close to each other, or your hitbox.

The rest bullets don't seem like something that would be fired at you like a normal bullet, at least. They'll probably drift sideways or something. Hopefully.

« Reply #884 on: August 07, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
I thought about Ten Desires for a while and thought that the song name "Raise the Flag of Rebellion" implied that Mamizou was a big part of the next game. This has been said already. I don't know if the next game is Hopeless Masquerade, or Double Dealing Characters. Now you might say why Hopeless Masquerade is one of my options. It is, because Mamizou was a big part in the game. And there was a sense of rebellion in the fighting and tournament. I felt like it was rebelling that Gensokyo had no religion, so all the religion leaders tried to make Gensokyo believe in their rituals and ceremonies.

If it isn't Hopeless Masquerade, then it should be Double Dealing Characters. Double Dealing Characters also has that rebellion vibe. Except it is much more obvious and is the main problem, unless the corrupted weapons are the main problem. We still don't know which one is the main problem and which one is the side dish. If the main one is the rebellion, I feel like Mamizou is the final boss. If the rebelling problem is just a side effect, then Mamizou can be the fifth stage boss, or the extra stage boss. I think that she would qualify as a fifth stage boss if she is included in the final game.

Anything I get wrong or you disagree on?
Currently a normal player

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #885 on: August 07, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »
I thought about Ten Desires for a while and thought that the song name "Raise the Flag of Rebellion" implied that Mamizou was a big part of the next game. This has been said already. I don't know if the next game is Hopeless Masquerade, or Double Dealing Characters. Now you might say why Hopeless Masquerade is one of my options. It is, because Mamizou was a big part in the game. And there was a sense of rebellion in the fighting and tournament. I felt like it was rebelling that Gensokyo had no religion, so all the religion leaders tried to make Gensokyo believe in their rituals and ceremonies.

If it isn't Hopeless Masquerade, then it should be Double Dealing Characters. Double Dealing Characters also has that rebellion vibe. Except it is much more obvious and is the main problem, unless the corrupted weapons are the main problem. We still don't know which one is the main problem and which one is the side dish. If the main one is the rebellion, I feel like Mamizou is the final boss. If the rebelling problem is just a side effect, then Mamizou can be the fifth stage boss, or the extra stage boss. I think that she would qualify as a fifth stage boss if she is included in the final game.

I think this is the rebellion game implied by "Raise the Flag of Rebellion". I don't think there's any way Mamizou will be the final boss. What a let down that would be. 5th stage boss, I could go with that. Seems like a stretch but still.
I also have a feeling that the weapon thing will be more a gimmick rather then a real plot point. Like, maybe some boss will have a power which could explain the weapons and maybe someone will even make that connection in game but I think that will be it. I don't really have a reason so much as I just think ZUN should stay away from the situation of the actual player. ZUN's games show 3 people doing the same thing at the same time and never running into each other, and that would be a pain to explain in plot terms, in game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:43:43 PM by Imosa »

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #886 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
I hope stage 4,5,6 and extra stage boss`s new danmaku bullets will shoot animal shape bullets without shapeshifting.

Remember the fan-made game called ''The Last Comer''?
the stage boss shoots animal shape bullets too.

Spoiler:
Do you think that ZUN is aware about touhou fan-made games like from Tasofro`s other touhou games that aren`t canon?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #887 on: August 08, 2013, 02:02:29 AM »
Do you think that ZUN is aware about touhou fan-made games like from Tasofro`s other touhou games that aren`t canon?
I'm sure it's pretty much impossible for him not to know
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #888 on: August 08, 2013, 03:34:15 AM »
<snip>
I thought the implied rebellion was the youkai against Miko, hence Mamizou crossing the border to lead it, only to find out the four PCs already beat her.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

T3hCoM

• I'm tired, I'm wasted... I love you darling!
  • Not again, Futo!
« Reply #889 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:36 PM »

Seems kinda weird to have her as a regular boss in this game, considering she was already a boss on TD. I could see her as the EX midboss, though.

Zil

« Reply #890 on: August 09, 2013, 02:55:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure the bosses are actually effected. I don't think it slows down the bullets, but it seems to effect the rate at which they appear. I recall having an easier time supergrazing the mermaid's first spell with SakuyaA, seemingly because my shots slowed it down. I could be mistaken though. In fact, I'll double check.

edit: I guess I was wrong. huh

Either way SakuyaA is ridiculous.
WAIT

I was right after all. She does affect the firing rate of bosses. I confirmed it with Karisa, and it can indeed be used to graze Wakaface's spell more easily.

« Reply #891 on: August 09, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »
FYI, here's a summary about the Princess Who Wore a Bowl:

Once, there was an old man who wanted a daughter. He prayed to the Kannon of Hase Temple, and his wife gave birth to a daughter. When her mother passed away, Kannon told the daughter to put a big bowl on her head. When she did, the bowl was stuck and couldn't be taken down.

The girl was mistreated by her stepmother. She attempted to drown herself, but the bowl kept her from sinking. She was rescued by an aristocrat, and became a servant in his family. The noble man's fourth son fell in love with the girl, but his mother was against marrying a woman of low birth. So his older brothers set up a contest: if she can win against all their wives, the son can marry her.

The night before the contest, the bowl broke, revealing her beautiful face. She won the contests of singing, dancing and knowledge. They lived happily ever after.
I found this pic on 2ch

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #892 on: August 09, 2013, 03:39:31 AM »
Hasa-dera is almost a given by now, huh?

Well, if that's the case, I am highly expective of her plot involvement, Ability and, most important, Music Theme~
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #893 on: August 09, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »
Seems kinda weird to have her as a regular boss in this game, considering she was already a boss on TD. I could see her as the EX midboss, though.
Two words:
Yuyuko Saigyouji

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #894 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Two more: Aya Shameimaru.
I can't see Mamizou really involved in this though. That would be a second time in a row she, a new girl in Gensokyo suddenly turned out to be the partner of the incident perpetrator (first being HM). That's another ZUN-girlfriend tier popularity boost.

T3hCoM

• I'm tired, I'm wasted... I love you darling!
  • Not again, Futo!
« Reply #895 on: August 09, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »
Two words:
Yuyuko Saigyouji

What I meant was two appearances IN A ROW. Forgot to clarify that.

Two more: Aya Shameimaru.
I can't see Mamizou really involved in this though. That would be a second time in a row she, a new girl in Gensokyo suddenly turned out to be the partner of the incident perpetrator (first being HM). That's another ZUN-girlfriend tier popularity boost.

If the "this game's incident is caused by the previous game's incident (not counting the fighting/spin-off games)" trend is still going, that could be an excuse to involve her.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #896 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:42 PM »
Well, even if Mamizou isn't a boss she should at least show up in a stage. 
Quick question, how many times has dialog been delivered by someone who isn't going to be fighting. Kanako does it in SA, right?

« Reply #897 on: August 09, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »
Kanako? I know Suwako talks in ReimuA's extra stage, but it could be that Kanako appears for other shottypes.
There's also Mima, Shinki and Eirin in their respective penultimate stages (and Yumemi in the cutscene before Chiyuri's battle, if you want to count that). Reimu also speaks before Sakuya fights Yukari in IaMP and there's probably other examples in the fighters. And if we want to stretch it, Genji in SoEW and your partners in SA and IN (if you use a solo character).
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

« Reply #898 on: August 10, 2013, 04:20:50 AM »
Mm.. isn't the game supposed to come out like right now? Possible download later tomorrow? I believe comiket has already started.. Surprised by the lack of posts!
Touhou things are being sold on the last day.

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
  • Your Judgement Day has come at last!
« Reply #899 on: August 10, 2013, 06:45:59 AM »
Mm.. isn't the game supposed to come out like right now? Possible download later tomorrow? I believe comiket has already started.. Surprised by the lack of posts!
Please do not talk about piracy. You should support ZUN by buying his games so he can get more beer! so he can continue making the games!