Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430965 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #720 on: July 26, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »
I don't think there's a hole in the character either, I know that's created by the sleeve. I'm just talking about the image.
What I'm looking at is how thin the torso is in comparison to the length of the arms and legs.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #721 on: July 26, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
D'at sleeves.

I think her right hand is doing the peace symbol so it's maybe a hippie youkai :V
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #722 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
If the game is vaguely based on Issun-boshi, then I get the feeling Issun-boshi herself will be the EX boss, while the final boss will be the oni she supposedly slain.

I was thinking something like that.
After all, why would a character based on Issun cause these things to happen?

Wonder what role, if any, this bird will play...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:48:51 PM by Kingault »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #723 on: July 26, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
Where do you even see this birf? I have looked at the cover for a while and I see no bird in there.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #724 on: July 26, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
Where do you even see this birf? I have looked at the cover for a while and I see no bird in there.
Look at the background, beneath the characters shoes. I would say that because it's just in the background, it doesn't have a large significance to the character.
Though, since it is a phoenix, the first thing that comes to mind is the theme of reincarnation.
(But that would be the western theme, the eastern theme seems to be a royal one, or the birth of someone noble.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:44:53 PM by Darkness1 »

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #725 on: July 26, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
I don't think there's a hole in the character either, I know that's created by the sleeve. I'm just talking about the image.
What I'm looking at is how thin the torso is in comparison to the length of the arms and legs.

Actually it does appear proportionate when you take into account how our bellies usually "suck in" when we bend slightly over in a sitting position (which is exactly what I think this girl on the cover is doing). I'm sticking to the 'gap between sleeve and torso' perspective.

On the other hand, I think that pattern is just there for stylistic purposes. That or it might be the girl's own cool weapon should the pattern really turn out to be part of the portrait?

EDIT: I think she's holding a sake dish in her left hand. I think.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:35:44 PM by Awashima Seriteru »
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #726 on: July 26, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
Actually it does appear proportionate when you take into account how our bellies usually "suck in" when we bend slightly over in a sitting position (which is exactly what I think this girl on the cover is doing).
That, and it being something like a 3/4 profile, which is also slimming.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #727 on: July 26, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »
Mokou for Stage 4 midboss, calling it now

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
  • Your Judgement Day has come at last!
« Reply #728 on: July 26, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Why would Mokou be a Stage 4 midboss? I mean, it does make some sense, seeing as Stage 3 takes place in the forest, but maybe Stage 4 is somewhere completely different. Besides, Mokou is human- a youkai rebellion wouldn't affect her at all.
Oh well. If Stage 4 is still in the bamboo forest I would say that the midboss would be a certain mischevious youkai animal who leads a whole species of youkai Tewi

Also, DDC and PCB are the only two games where Cirno is a midboss and Sakuya, Marisa, and Reimu are playable. I'm calling another Phantasm boss for this game

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #729 on: July 26, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »
What if Sekibanki is Extra Stage midboss (like Chen), and the Extra Stage boss has a relationship with the (maybe) Phantasm Boss.

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
« Reply #730 on: July 26, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »
That's actually what I was thinking too. But Sekibanki isn't a shikigami, and it doesn't hint anything about it in her profile. It seems that Sekibanki was just a random youkai affected by the rebellion.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #731 on: July 26, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
Thinking that things from previous games will return is one thing, but thinking they have to be the same way as they were before is another thing. You saying that Sekibanki cannot be a EX Mid-boss because se ain't a shikigami is what I mean by that.
Also, if the stages are revisits to older places in game order, level 4 would be something from PoVF
Spoiler:
bets on Nameless Hills with Medicine as mid-boss since she is a Tsukumogami

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
« Reply #732 on: July 26, 2013, 08:52:03 PM »
Actually... yea, you're right. Or maybe it will be another case of Kogasa's random midboss appearance and Sekibanki wants to have another danmaku match with the shrine maiden/witch/maid because of her complete and utter failure to frighten the heroine in Stage 2 with her head danmaku because she's gotten more powerful.
But then the EX Stage would have to take place in the human village... which means Keine is the Extra boss and then Rinnosuke is the Phantasm boss
Don't mind me, I'm just having some fun here :V

« Reply #733 on: July 27, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »
It's going to be a long time until I can try this, since I'm starting with EoSD.

By the way, is Japanese difficult to learn?

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #734 on: July 27, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
It's going to be a long time until I can try this, since I'm starting with EoSD.
No it won't. Once this game comes out you can drop EoSD, skip a touhous 7 through 13.5 and then you can play this game. Seriously, don't feel you need to play these games in order.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #735 on: July 27, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »

By the way, is Japanese difficult to learn?

You don't really need to learn the whole timeline and play all the games to understand the saga :V

And yes, japanese is hard to learn.

Tengukami

« Reply #736 on: July 27, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
Fortunately, all the games have English patches and the official written works have translations.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #737 on: July 27, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
And yes, japanese is hard to learn.
We're English-speakers. We don't really have a right to call other languages difficult. :V

As for eashift's point, you don't have to play the games in order. While you may have a different view, I normally don't bother with the story when actually playing the games - I play them for the danmaku first and foremost. If I do want to read into the story, I'll just go to the Wiki page when I feel like it. As for the games themselves, again, don't feel restricted. If one of the later games interests you more than an earlier one, go ahead and give that one a shot first.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #738 on: July 28, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »
Is that a Loli shinki? :V
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

« Reply #739 on: July 28, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »
Does anybody else get a halloweeny feel from the entire games ambiance?
Definitely stage 2s boss and the entire of stage 3 in general

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #740 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »
I was thinking about that image, and I think that the circle thing in the portrait may just be a mirror(the extensions could be anything, so I'll not try to guess on that part), which implies that this may be the mirror youkai that we're looking for. She could even be mimicking the image of Issun-boshi(which I have seen that someone before me has already stated this part as a theory), possibly out of respect for the person or something.

Also, I have a question. Has there been a touhou game where two different mid-bosses had shown up in a stage? It would make for a interesting surprise if that happened somewhere during gameplay, wouldn't you say?
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #741 on: July 28, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »
Also, I have a question. Has there been a touhou game where two different mid-bosses had shown up in a stage? It would make for a interesting surprise if that happened somewhere during gameplay, wouldn't you say?

The only example I remember is Marine Benefit (which is a fanmade game, though), where Kasumi and Megumi both appear as mid-bosses of stage 6 Lunatic.

Unless you want to count Alice who appears two times in PCB stage 3, before the actual boss fight. Or Orin (cat form) in SA stage 4.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:25:51 PM by ★Drizzly Magician★ »

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #742 on: July 28, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
Expies of Yuki and Mai appeared in Samidare extra... but then again, that's not exactly Touhou either.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

« Reply #743 on: July 28, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »
Unless you want to count Alice who appears two times in PCB stage 3, before the actual boss fight. Or Orin (cat form) in SA stage 4.
The LLS stage 4 midboss also makes two appearances. We've had dual midbosses as well (Daiyousei/Lily in FW extra and the two strange disks in SoEW stage 3).
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #744 on: July 28, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »
Orin also appeared as Stage 6 midboss and Stage 5 midboss/boss.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #745 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »
Also, I have a question. Has there been a touhou game where two different mid-bosses had shown up in a stage?
If you mean two different characters at different times (as opposed to two midbosses at the same time or the same midboss multiple times), I'm pretty sure there haven't been any instances in the official games.

Tengukami

« Reply #746 on: July 28, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »
If you really want to stretch it, there's also how Mystia appears as a midboss, and then attacks you as the stage boss immediately after the midboss fight is over.

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
« Reply #747 on: July 28, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »

Well... at least for windows games...

PCB Stage 3: Alice appears 2 times, second time in Hard and Lunatic declares a Spell Card
MoF Stage 3: Appears a first time, then flees and returns to declare a Spell Card
SA Stage 4: Orin appears at the beginning of the stage and midway through it
FW Extra Stage: Dai and Lily White appear at the same time midway through the Stage

But two different bosses more than 1 time? In the official games it has never happened

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #748 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Well, maybe not quite what you are looking for, but the extra stage of LLS has three seprate bosses: light orb midboss, Mugetsu who is followed right away with Gengetsu. Ans this is only taking account that you fight them one at the time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:33:54 PM by ToyoRai »

« Reply #749 on: July 29, 2013, 02:33:55 AM »
I was thinking of Concealed the Conclusion's stage 4 midbosses of Chen and Ran in this instance.
Chen appears first, and then after you defeat her, both her and Ran appear.
Does this count? Though it's a fan-game.
Currently a normal player