Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430891 times)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #690 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
I know it`s fake but look what i found on Pixiv.

looks like a Youkai wearing a Ramen bowl hat.
Interesting how whoever edited this image actually bothered editing the score.

...though I think they forgot the point item value.

Flan27

• I like bullets.
« Reply #691 on: July 24, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
She's saying something like "now, here's the weapon of Thousand Eyes..."

More like "Well then, give me the 1000th weapon."
目 here is like the -th number suffix in english (10th, 11th, etc.)  It doesn't mean eye.

This character seems to be based on Benkei.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

« Reply #692 on: July 24, 2013, 05:39:16 PM »
Nah Karisa, it's just the stage 5 and 6 cash-in. They have a lot of items  :3

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #693 on: July 24, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Hm, according to the new intro for DDC, Sakuya has acquired a new sword, which is what's rampaging, rather than her knives...
Issun had a sword...
It seems like a safe bet to me that the final boss will be (partially) based on Issun.

Maybe it's Frodo with a sword and the One Ring...

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #694 on: July 24, 2013, 10:57:56 PM »
Movie references? In my Touhou?

Let's get hyped for the next Comiket then...
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #695 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:55 AM »
Then we also got our location for the last stage / extra stage. It's a volcano.  :yukkuri:

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #696 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:26 AM »
Armor-encased being with a mace confirmed as EX boss, and a Gollum-like as the EX Midboss.
You can't disprove this, technically.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #697 on: July 25, 2013, 03:58:22 AM »
Then we also got our location for the last stage / extra stage. It's a volcano.  :yukkuri:
Well, if we end up visiting past locations in this game even further, we might end up in Old Hell at the final stage (as long as we don't skip PoFV)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #698 on: July 25, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
Armor-encased being with a mace confirmed as EX boss, and a Gollum-like as the EX Midboss.
You can't disprove this, technically.
If your goal is to constantly spam extreme randomness instead of actually discussing the game, then please stop bothering . Now and then being silly is not an issue for the sake of fun, but don't overdo it.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #699 on: July 25, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Well, if we end up visiting past locations in this game even further, we might end up in Old Hell at the final stage (as long as we don't skip PoFV)
In that case, I wonder if it would be like in PoFV.
Reimu: If this keeps up, I have to go to a place I don't normally go to.
If the "culprit" isn't hiding in one of the old places ofc, but that would be kind of strange.

The final boss will probably still be something eastern.
I don't think something like a gnome will appear.

More like "Well then, give me the 1000th weapon."
目 here is like the -th number suffix in english (10th, 11th, etc.)  It doesn't mean eye.
I like this version :p
Gives an interesting look on the corruption of weapons theme.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:58:13 AM by Darkness1 »

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
  • Your Judgement Day has come at last!
« Reply #700 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
I don't think anyone has pointed it out yet, but there's also a bird in the silhouette: right underneath her foot, in the bottom left corner.
Also, this is my first post as a MotK member, so if I make any mistakes I apologize.

« Reply #701 on: July 26, 2013, 02:06:36 AM »
If the game is vaguely based on Issun-boshi, then I get the feeling Issun-boshi herself will be the EX boss, while the final boss will be the oni she supposedly slain.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #702 on: July 26, 2013, 02:29:21 AM »
Hmmm... so far, then, a Doppelganger an Issun-boshi look to be the most plausible choices.

Argh! ZUN!! Why couldn't you wait when it was like 1 week before the release of the game!! I...Just...can't...wait...for...it!!!
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #703 on: July 26, 2013, 04:04:30 AM »
The wiki has been updated with a larger cover art image, at 613 x 606.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/File:Th14cover.jpg

Here's an even larger image (from D-Stage), but it has been trimmed on four sides (click to enlarge):

My friend's analysis:

She's pinching with her right thumb and index finger.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:22:00 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #704 on: July 26, 2013, 05:29:52 AM »
I'm really curious about that thing she has around her. Any idea of what could it be? Personally, it kinda reminds me of a wheel... a very distorted one at any rate. But it's probably some sort of weapon or even some sort of device she's sitting on. But, supposedly Ichirin is already a wanyuudou or a katawa-guruma, so it seems unlikely this new character could be either of those.

I found this pic in Deviantart, of a katawa-guruma...
http://ehime.deviantart.com/art/Katawaguruma-21640239

I don't think that's a common depiction of this type of youkai, though, but I virtually know nothing about them besides the name... but I kinda see a resemblance I guess?

Anyway, I tend to agree that the design of the character in the cover, or what we can see anyway, seems more fitting for an Extra or even Phantasm boss... The Isshun-boshi extra boss with an oni being the final stage boss theory seems more likely.

So I still really wanna know what's that thing around her... assuming it's part of her design.

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
« Reply #705 on: July 26, 2013, 05:30:47 AM »
Really? To me, it looks like she's outstretching her hand and bending her wrist as well. At least, that's what I thought when I saw the cover.

On the subject of the bird in the corner, I talked to a few of my fellow Touhou fans on a different forum and they said the bird might be a fenghuang. And just to add to the 'every youkai has a western counterpart' theme, the fenghuang's western counterpart is the phoenix.

Sadly, I don't know of any legends involving fenghuang (a downside of being a western Touhou fan is not knowing much about Japanese legends) so if someone could find something that might tie the theory into what we already know about the game, I would love that.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #706 on: July 26, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
It's indeed 鳳凰, "Chinese phoenix" (Mandarin: fenghuang, Japanese: hou'ou). The basic idea about them is simple: they are the noblest of all birds.

Since it's not a prominent part of the image, it's probably unrelated to the story.

Original source found out by that Japanese fan who's really good at it: (1, 2, 3):
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #707 on: July 26, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »
When the bird was first pointed out, I thought back to Momotarou again, with his animal companions that included a bird. The theory by the fan that cuc posted a little while ago about Onra/Ura (and by extension Ki no jou and Kibitsuhiko-no-mikoto) might be right after all. Then again, I can't make the connection between that story and the game's plot about youkai rebellion, so I don't know if it actually holds. (The whole Ki no jou = Kishinjou connection is really tempting, though.)

Really curious as to what the weird symbol thing is, too, and how it connects to the character. If it was something obvious in the myths/legends then it would probably have been found out by now, so I guess it's something ZUN invented instead of lifting it directly from a myth. It could be something like Byakuren's scroll.

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #708 on: July 26, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
It's indeed 鳳凰, "Chinese phoenix" (Mandarin: fenghuang, Japanese: hou'ou). The basic idea about them is simple: they are the noblest of all birds.

Since it's not a prominent part of the image, it's probably unrelated to the story.

Original source found out by that Japanese fan who's really good at it: (1, 2, 3):

Actually a fenghuang/hou'ou was among one of my guesses for a new character in DDC, namely because phoenixes are relevant in both Western and Eastern mythology and therefore would be pretty "double dealing" itself. 

My other guesses were kirin/unicorn, hikyu/chimera, ushi-oni/minotaur, daidarabochi/titan, hydra/orochi and kinnara/harpy.

But on hindsight they do seem pretty far fetched now..
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
« Reply #709 on: July 26, 2013, 06:59:30 AM »
Good point. Now that that's out of the way, I was also having a conversation on what the final boss's ability might be with a few friends.
The final boss's ability might be something like, 'The ability to animate objects', and the stage 5 boss has  'Manipulation of Will'.

Manipulation of Desire wouldn't work, as Miko already can hear desires, but if someone controls your will, you have no control anymore. It would explain why all the youkai want to be exterminated by the crazy shrine maiden, because they're not in control of themselves.

I'm also going to say it here, there's a high chance Mamizou will be a midboss. After all, the title of her stage is 'Raise the Flag of Rebellion', and ZUN even said that the title would tie into the next game. There's a good chance she's partially responsible for something.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #710 on: July 26, 2013, 07:51:57 AM »
The final boss's ability might be something like, 'The ability to animate objects', and the stage 5 boss has  'Manipulation of Will'.
Why's that, I ask? Like, it argee with the powers, but I think it would be fitting that the final boss has the "Manipulation of Will" and stage 5 boss having the "The ability to animate objects". The fact that the youkai rebellion is the main incident and the weapon possession is there as a side dish. I think I have said this before, but I think the stage 5 boss is the one behind the weapon possession to corrupt the heriones so that the one behind the youkai rebellion can succest.

Burcaresti

• Doll Judgement
« Reply #711 on: July 26, 2013, 07:57:35 AM »
I should have switched those two. Sorry about that. It's like 12 am here and my brain isn't working properly  :V

Continuing on with the revised version of the ability theory, I wonder which youkai would actually have an ability like that. We've already seen the bit about Onra and Issun, but I don't know if mythology describes them with those kinds of abilities.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:05:03 AM by Kyouko Quesadilla »

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #712 on: July 26, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
This is probably quite insane, but the hole in the middle of her body made me think of something. It looks a little like her upper body could be disconnected from her lower body. Is there a youkai like that? Sure, we already have Sekibanki who detaches one part of her body from the other, but...
Also, to fit into that image I'm seeing comes the strange object surrounding her. It looks a little like it could be a spine (obviously not counting the big swirly thing in the middle of it).

On mentioning the swirly thing, I just want to remind everyone that there are swirls EVERYWHERE in the game. When bosses appear or charge attacks, when fairies are killed, on the right half of the screen and probably elsewhere. I assume the swirly thing is responsible for the dark clouds that "make the youkai rebellious".
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #713 on: July 26, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »
Yeah, Like 7TC7, my number one concern is that precarious hole in the center of the character... what's going on there.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #714 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:55 PM »
I myself think that her sleeves are just darn huge but are either detached sleeves or the sleeve suddenly expand at certain point and the hole is a gap between her sleeves and torso. Here is good example with detached sleeves, though you have to think it so that his sleeves aren't made of same cloth and Here(Pixiv link, SFW) when the sleeves is attached to the clothing but just ends at one point
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:57:53 PM by ToyoRai »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #715 on: July 26, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
I myself think that her sleeves are just darn huge but are either detached sleeves or the sleeve suddenly expand at certain point and the hole is a gap between her sleeves and torso. Here is good example with detached sleeves, though you have to think it so that his sleeves aren't made of same cloth and Here(Pixiv link, SFW) when the sleeves is attached to the clothing but just ends at one point
All of which is fine until you look at how thin that makes the characters torso.

« Reply #716 on: July 26, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty certainly the gap between her sleeve and torso. Now that I look at it more closely, I'd say she isn't particularly short at all, just in some sort of weirdly-drawn sitting pose.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #717 on: July 26, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
All of which is fine until you look at how thin that makes the characters torso.
That could be simply a side-effect of Zun-art.

I mean look at Sakuya's hand.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #718 on: July 26, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
Yes, especially when you look at these images:
My friend's analysis:

It makes it look like she only got her spine or something else really thin in that spot holding her lower and upper body together.
Unless ZUN just messed up here, as said by Sagus.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #719 on: July 26, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »
I don't think there's a hole in her torso.

If you look at it carefully, you can see that this character has low-hanging sleeves. The "hole" is a gap between the sleeve and the body - the character is seated, or doing some kind of "Cossack dance" (although probably something like it rather than an actual Cossack dance - maybe someone here better versed in tradition east Asian dance can provide some better examples). When you compare the width of her arms to what would be the width of her waist, it's more or less in proportion.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."