Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430777 times)

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #660 on: July 23, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
I am sure he is talking to Tengukami, not to you.

As for me, I guess I won't really throw a huge rage if the western references end, but maybe I might be bit dissapointed. A man can dream, and I have already said my dreams.

« Reply #661 on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
I am sure he is talking to Tengukami, not to you.
I know he was talking to Tengukami, I was wondering whether he was talking about me. :V
As for me, I guess I won't really throw a huge rage if the western references end, but maybe I might be bit dissapointed. A man can dream, and I have already said my dreams.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. It seems like a cool secondary theme for the game. If ZUN keeps up both the western-eastern bridge theme and the references to previous games (stage 1/EoSD and stage 3/IN), I'll be very impressed by the amount of detail he's put into this game.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #662 on: July 23, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
@game2011: Yes, I've had this opinion for a while. I understand ZUN's tendencies, I'm just voicing my opinion.

When i first came into Touhou, I thought the universe was more multicultural. On one hand there are shrine maidens, on the other they are wearing dresses, on one hand the afterlife has a Japanese castle in it, but also Vampires just invaded. Spell tags and magic circles (looked western enough to me) are casually tossed across the screen.
Anyway, my point is that I kinda still hope that ZUN has enough interest in other cultures to include them in his game.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
  • What if Seija met a guy with bipolar disease?
« Reply #663 on: July 23, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
We might see Medusa in future games.
Easy Modo? That's for kids, and for me.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #664 on: July 23, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »
Hmmm,... I was wondering... is there a Western Version of an Ungaikyo (Mirror Tsukumogami), or a Western one for a Doppelganger?

I have those two on my games, so I am kind of wishing for them not to be here. Not that I will dislike them of course, but stilll
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

7TC7

• In best company
« Reply #665 on: July 23, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
Isn't a Doppelg?nger wholly Western anyways? It's a German word after all. Also, I don't think canon touhou will include a Doppelg?nger, as Mamizou pretty much already does that job pretty well.
< picture leads to my YouTube channel

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #666 on: July 23, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »
or a Western one for a Doppelganger?
Uh, you mean Japanese one? Because Doppleganger is a western monster (heck, the name "doppleg?nger" comes from German and means "double walker"). Probably the closest thing what Japan has to doppelg?nger is Ikiryo but that is more like manifestation of person's soul created by strong grudge forwards some one.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #667 on: July 23, 2013, 06:40:38 PM »
My comment was not directed at any individual in particular, but at an unpleasant sentiment that was starting to gain some momentum over the last couple of pages. I love this forum, but it has demonstrated an exorbitant amount of self-importance time and time again (including, most recently, in the HM threads and during/after the MotKchan event), and I wanted to cut it off at the pass before it fully evolved in this thread as well.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #668 on: July 23, 2013, 06:57:31 PM »
Sir Amat, you seem incredulous at the idea that the Western Touhou Fanbase has unrealistic expectations founded in unwarranted self-importance and reacts in a strong negative manner when those expectatiions are not met. How long have you been posting on this forum again?
A man can dream.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #669 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:52 AM »
I have a feeling that this game might have another phantasm stage (might be called something else though), the last and only game to have a phantasm stage was Touhou 7, 7 games later here we are at Touhou 14 with only Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya playable again just like PCB.

If there is a phantasm stage the silhouette on the cover might just be the boss of that stage.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #670 on: July 24, 2013, 04:54:08 AM »
I have a feeling that this game might have another phantasm stage (might be called something else though), the last and only game to have a phantasm stage was Touhou 7, 7 games later here we are at Touhou 14 with only Reimu, Marisa, and Sakuya playable again just like PCB.

If there is a phantasm stage the silhouette on the cover might just be the boss of that stage.
Isn't the cover silhouette normally the stage 6 boss?

« Reply #671 on: July 24, 2013, 05:07:49 AM »
It's possible ZUN will break the pattern again and have the silhouette be the extra boss, like EoSD and PCB. At least, that's what I hope for. From her silhouette I feel like she's exactly the kind of double-dealing character fit for an extra boss.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #672 on: July 24, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »
I got a feeling that EOSD has western influence and referrences to religion.

Rumia as stage 1 boss represents Christianity because it is drawn with her arms spread out, claiming the pose appears to say, "The saint was crucified." referrence to Jesus Christ.
Cirno as stage 2 boss represents Hinduism because she is blue like Shiva, she is destructive like Shiva, ''I am the strongest'' is her quote, Shiva is very powerful Hindu god.
Hong Meiling as stage 3 boss represents Taoism because she is Chinese.
Patchouli as stage 4 boss represents Zionism because her magic circle has Star of David.
Sakuya as stage 5 boss represents...Atheism i think or maybe Lunarianism just because she might be a Lunarian and her theme is ''Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial'' sounds like a Lunarian.
Remilia as stage 6 boss represents Satanism because  she is a Devil Vampire and her magic color is red.

EOSD is too western before DDC, now i`m betting the stage 6 boss for DDC might be a Dwarf/Gnome.

Drake

« Reply #673 on: July 24, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »
Flandre as EX Boss represents what the fuck are you talking about because she has rainbow-colored wings that don't make sense.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Zakari

• Autistic Loli
« Reply #674 on: July 24, 2013, 07:12:39 AM »
Flandre as EX Boss represents what the fuck are you talking about because she has rainbow-colored wings that don't make sense.

I think she represents Luciferian, it`s related to Satanism, and she is far too Destructive.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #675 on: July 24, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
Luciferianism and Satanism aren't even the same thing. And Zionism is a political belief. Helps to know what you're talking about when pulling half-assed theories out of nothing but pure projection.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #676 on: July 24, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
Isn't the cover silhouette normally the stage 6 boss?
Technically yes, the last time an EX boss was on the cover of a main series shmup game was PCB. However if ZUN went out of his way to draw some parallels between PBC and DDC it's not entirely unthinkable.

Zakari

• Autistic Loli
« Reply #677 on: July 24, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
I know it`s fake but look what i found on Pixiv.

looks like a Youkai wearing a Ramen bowl hat.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #678 on: July 24, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »
Her left arm wtf.

Those Pixiv guys know how to draw.

« Reply #679 on: July 24, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
Hong Meiling as stage 3 boss represents Taoism because she is Chinese.
That sounds like it could be racist. Just my thinking though.

And isn't PCB's sillhouette of the Phantasm boss Yukari?
I feel like we will still have new species of youkai in the next stages.
Every youkai so far have been of new species.
Currently a normal player

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #680 on: July 24, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »
EoSD's silhouette was the EX boss. PCB's silhouette was the PH boss. Everything from IN on was the Final boss  except for GFW and arguably StB, though IN had the EX boss silhouette on top of that.

Of course, people should know these things, because if you buy the games you can just check the jewel cases.

EDIT: I guess the DS silhouette qualifies as the DS boss, too, if we want to get technical. I also don't recall Soku having a silhouette, though I'm not at home to check right now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 02:10:10 PM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #681 on: July 24, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »
EDIT: I guess the DS silhouette qualifies as the DS boss, too, if we want to get technical. I also don't recall Soku having a silhouette, though I'm not at home to check right now.

Soku has Cirno.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #682 on: July 24, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
I know it`s fake but look what i found on Pixiv.

looks like a Youkai wearing a Ramen bowl hat.
Strangely drawn, but I like the design overall (except maybe the hat).

Anyone knows what she's saying in the picture?

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #683 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
I'm familiar with Issun-boshi's story, and he has nothing to do with weapons being possessed, so to say that the final boss is based off him because of a bowl-shaped hat is rather baseless...

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #684 on: July 24, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
I won't spend two hours on Google Translate, but as much as I can translate, I think she's talking about thousands of something.

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #685 on: July 24, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
Strangely drawn, but I like the design overall (except maybe the hat).

Anyone knows what she's saying in the picture?

さあ、千本目の武器をこちらに

Something about a "Weapon of thousand eyes" (千本目の武器)? I'm not sure though.

To anyone better at Japanese than me, feel free to provide a more accurate translation.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:09:38 PM by ★Drizzly Magician★ »

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #686 on: July 24, 2013, 03:47:17 PM »
@game2011 Well as I see it, the whole thing with weapons being possessed (and the situation with tsukumogami) is more like a side incident, with youkais running amok being the main incident. Then again, what way would Issun-boshi related to that one as well.

Also, I think the bowl hat is a nice touch.

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #687 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
She's saying something like "now, here's the weapon of Thousand Eyes..."

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #688 on: July 24, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »
Even if unrelated, it's weird how both people above have Sekibanki icons.  :wat:
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

The Noodles Guy

• Flip the screen
« Reply #689 on: July 24, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »
I'm sorry Cirno, Cheeeeeen, Parsee and Kyouko, but Sekibanki is now my favorite Stage 2 boss.

Deal with it.